Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I used 3 days of vacation so I could play today and over the weekend. It's going to be a real kick in the balls if it shows up on Monday.

Also even if the screen scratches easily I'll still take a scratched up screen over using a screen protector. Oh no, a scratch, the resale value is ruined.

Goondolences. I once took a few days off to play GTA Online with my brother when it finally came out and that poo poo didn't work at all for the next 3 days or something.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm predicting a whole bunch of little things like the screen being plastic to crop up and piss people off.

Big ups to the last console company that thinks they should be making a profit on hardware out of the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

PerrineClostermann posted:

And Mario Kart 7 is a close second.

Mario Kart's been really loving good lately.

MK7 was fun and all, but it did not include Waluigi and is therefore one of the worst ones in the series.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Split Joycons, one in each hand, slouched over a couch for life. Get that antiquated Grip and Pro poo poo outta here. Zelda is good, and I'm ready for Splatoon. The Switch is good.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Yikes. What's the go to screen cover for these things then? I just picked mine up but I might stop by Best Buy to pick up a screen cover or something

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Guys, Drand can't do skins:( apparently any adhesive scratches the switch.) The real question is... what color switch to get?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Rabid Snake posted:

Yikes. What's the go to screen cover for these things then? I just picked mine up but I might stop by Best Buy to pick up a screen cover or something

Since the PDP one is too big apparently (the one that is out for delivery to me now) and the Hori one has low ratings too, I got this one, but it won't arrive for 2 weeks so I may just cut the PDP one down to size to hold me over or just baby the system when docking. It is glass and apparently a perfect fit.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Going to wait a few months to get the Switch with a glass screen and non-poo poo joycon connection issues. :smug:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This is going to sound silly, but I need some realtalk. New to Nintendo ecosystem. I think I may have an accunt I set up for Pokemon or Fire Emblem Heroes or something... what do I need to do to be all set up and ready to go. Indoctrinated, as it were... anything important?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The PDP one sucks. It is too big, and also doesn't come with some of the quality of life things that I expect from screen protectors these days. No included spray/wet wipe, crumpled lovely little tabs you can't pull off without touching the underside or exposing it to dust, no hinge method stickers, no way to clean dust off the underside after the inevitable first failed attempt because it's oversized.

If none of that made sense to you, congratulations, you're not an rear end in a top hat. But still don't buy the PDP one.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

LionArcher posted:

Guys, Drand can't do skins:( apparently any adhesive scratches the switch.) The real question is... what color switch to get?

Whatever you can find

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Haven't seen anybody mention it but the Hori screen protector is once again stellar, easy to put on and makes the console look as if it doesn't have a protector on. Really glad I got it day one considering people are seeing scratches on the screen. That, and kids.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Grimes posted:

Careful sliding the switch in the dock, I guess, or get a screen protector. Why did they make the screen plastic?

there's a slight bit of a gap tho so unless you're ramming it in i cant see those kind of scratches popping up.

fakeedit: i just checked mine and there's a little thing at the bottom after the gap that could be doing it actually, i checked under light and it leaving a slight mark, not permanent, like a finger print mark and i've barely taken it out of the dock. :| guess i'm gonna buy a screen protector.

kinda hoping they or a third party make new standalone docks or something.

realedit: lmao of course the hori ones are now selling out.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Feenix posted:

This is going to sound silly, but I need some realtalk. New to Nintendo ecosystem. I think I may have an accunt I set up for Pokemon or Fire Emblem Heroes or something... what do I need to do to be all set up and ready to go. Indoctrinated, as it were... anything important?

You'll want to make sure you have one of these set up:
https://my.nintendo.com/

That's gonna be your Nintendo account that the eShop links up to.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Amazon gave me a carrier delay on BotW and then delivered it like 10 minutes later

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

FireMrshlBill posted:

Since the PDP one is too big apparently (the one that is out for delivery to me now) and the Hori one has low ratings too, I got this one, but it won't arrive for 2 weeks so I may just cut the PDP one down to size to hold me over or just baby the system when docking. It is glass and apparently a perfect fit.
Thanks I just ordered this.

Debating on getting a crappy non glass screen protector until it arrives :\

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Screen-Protector-Orzly/dp/B01N9RG3XS

Is this brand decent? I know nothing about screen protectors aside from "glass is good"

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

After frantically hitting f5 all day I can confirm UPS has dropped it off. 1 more hour at work!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They're.Still.Using.Friend.Codes.

What the holy gently caress.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

s.i.r.e. posted:

They're.Still.Using.Friend.Codes.

What the holy gently caress.

Haha, you think Nintendo has any capability to be modern and up to date.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Plastic screens?? Wasn't it supposed to use gorilla glass?

My 100 dollar crappy asus tablet has a glass screen??

:cmon:

Maybe I'll uh work on my massive 3ds backlog for a few months

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Are there any glass screen protectors or is the hori still the best options

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm just disappointed that the TV Mode is crap compared to the handheld mode. My wife loves handhelds but I can't stand them so I'll be staying away for awhile. Should have kept my loving WiiU to play Zelda.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BambooEarpick posted:

Uggghhhnnnnnggghhhhh.

I can't even focus on doing my work because I want a Switch so bad but I know in my brain I'll regret getting one right now.

Edit: All the fun looking games (Ultimate Chicken Horse, Overcooked) only look fun because you play it with friends and god knows I don't have friends.

i mean if you're trying to talk yourself out of getting a switch you realize that overcooked is already available on ps4/xbox/steam and ultimate chicken horse is on steam early access and will show up on all three at full release, or is that :thejoke:

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 3, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grimes posted:

Careful sliding the switch in the dock, I guess, or get a screen protector. Why did they make the screen plastic?

Thats the bezel not the screen

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i guess that a plastic screen is better than glass for safety if a child eats it

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
The countdown is on. It's 1PM over here and I need this delivered before 5PM to my work if I'm gonna be able to play it. Oh man!

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Loving the switch so far. And I got a business trip coming up so it's perfect timing!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm never going to play this thing undocked, so it's sad to see that it's not a very good TV console. Starting to feel a little buyer's remorse. Zelda is good and all, but I could've played it on Wii U and been fine I guess. Damned if I don't want Mario Odyssey though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why is it bad as a TV console?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Because it looks and runs better undocked, apparently. Which is cool and all except the battery life is poo poo, and I have no interest in taking this thing on the road anyway.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

man nurse posted:

Because it looks and runs better undocked, apparently. Which is cool and all except the battery life is poo poo, and I have no interest in taking this thing on the road anyway.

Zelda does, anyway.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Internet Kraken posted:

The framerate on Zelda is worse docked because it upscales from 720 to 900

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anybody truly regretting... you can probably get cost for it to a friend/craigslist, etc...

It's a bummer about Zelda's docked performance, but theoretically, couldn't they at the VERY least patch it to run at 720p? If not just find a more elegant way to fix it?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

Like, I kind of expected native 1080p at this point. C'mon Nintendo, what are we doing here?

I guess my beef is that this thing really doesn't serve well as a handheld OR a console. Both sides are compromised.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

man nurse posted:

Like, I kind of expected native 1080p at this point. C'mon Nintendo, what are we doing here?

Making a mobile console

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

My Walmart order just went straight from being stuck at "processing" for days to "shipped" with a tracking number and info that says it got shipped a while ago and is still supposed to arrive today so maybe there's still hope for some of us and the tracking info is just like 80 hours behind.

Also all FIVE of the $299.96 pending charges fell off my card statement suddenly so maybe I got it for free.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 3, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soul Glo posted:

It doesn't upscale. It runs natively at 900p. That image is then upscaled to 1080p for output to the TV.

The unfortunate part is setting your TV output to 720p doesn't change the native resolution in docked mode, it downsamples to 720p. It still runs at 900p, which means you get the same slowdowns.

man nurse posted:

I guess my beef is that this thing really doesn't serve well as a handheld OR a console. Both sides are compromised.

Please. Even the PS4 and Xbone don't do 1080p properly.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

man nurse posted:

Targeting a price point that will recuperate R&D costs along with software sales that's less than $500, mostly.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Why isn't anyone making a tablet holder for the pro controller??? Like that'd be the best nerdiest thing to have for using handheld. I'm not that much of a fan of the controllers on the tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Two thoughts:

1. There doesn't appear to be a way to disable Wifi but keep Bluetooth enabled. If you put it in airplane mode with the Joycons out you get a warning to reconnect the Joycons to play. Which leads me to thought two:

2. When attached to the console, the joycons do have a physical connection to the console. Huh.

• Locked thread