Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Oh boy, that's an enormous fuckup. People have been talking for a while that what they bring over will most likely have a big effect on actual user transitions between games, and if it turns out the answer is "basically nothing" I expect Destiny 2 to have much lower numbers.

I definitely don't think carrying over levels and gear needs to happen, but people should definitely be able to carry over cool shaders, emblems, and other cosmetics that they have. I guess I could see shaders going away if Destiny 2 ends up with a custom dye system instead of shaders, but maybe give people unique dye colors for rare or real-money shaders?

I figure they're going to redo a lot of gameplay systems so not carrying over gear, levels, etc. makes sense, but I can definitely understand people being mad that they can't carry over cool cosmetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Andrast posted:

You can also switch the jump button in the options

Swap the jump button. With the sprint button. So it's the same.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Swap the jump button. With the sprint button. So it's the same.

I'll probably end up doing that because dodging with the lowest button (B on the Wii U) is going to be a lot more natural for me after playing a bunch of Nioh and other games that dodge with X on a PS4 controller. But needing to sprint with the top-most button is going to be weird.

I really never understand why games so rarely let you totally remap controls. I think I'd end up putting sprint on R and throw weapon on X or something. Holding down R to run while I turn the camera would be a lot easier, and also way easier to sprint jump.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

an actual dog posted:

Mass Effect is probably gonna be bad but also get lots and lots of praise lol

The story is already a bit colonialist, so I'm sorta wondering whether they'll accidentally give it a really weird pro-colonialism message through a botched script rewrite or something. Like the story forgets that you started the whole conflict by trying to settle the bad guy's planet, and then at the end you kill them all and make the united states of space america.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Red Bones posted:

The story is already a bit colonialist, so I'm sorta wondering whether they'll accidentally give it a really weird pro-colonialism message through a botched script rewrite or something. Like the story forgets that you started the whole conflict by trying to settle the bad guy's planet, and then at the end you kill them all and make the united states of space america.

IGN's "first 13 minutes" video they released today suggests that the main conflict will be with some other outside force trying to destroy life in the Andromeda galaxy, not with natives on a planet you're trying to settle. As you close in on the planet you thought was your destination, the space around it is full of weird brown jagged stuff and the planet looks like it's been almost completely destroyed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I really never understand why games so rarely let you totally remap controls. I think I'd end up putting sprint on R and throw weapon on X or something. Holding down R to run while I turn the camera would be a lot easier, and also way easier to sprint jump.

Mostly because it has nonzero QA and engineering costs. Someone has to implement the control changing screen and then verify that no possible combination of controls breaks any part of the game or renders it unbeatable (if, for example, you bind buttons in such a way that two commands the game expects you to issue simultaneously are now mutually exclusive).

Plus, if the designers did their job right the game will be using the best possible layout for its gameplay in the first place.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What I want is for video game developers to join hands and pick a single camera implementation, e.g. where the camera will turn if I press up and to the left on the right analog stick.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love that all the UnArkham's Creedraider games have almost the exact same control setup minus like one button that always manages to get you killed at some crucial moment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

What I want is for video game developers to join hands and pick a single camera implementation, e.g. where the camera will turn if I press up and to the left on the right analog stick.

I just want all games to let me invert the Y axis because I'm a mutant and I can't play with it non-inverted. Wind Waker on the Wii U is challenging for me because you can't invert the Y axis.

Speaking of: can you invert the camera in Breath of the Wild?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You need to tap the inverted camera amiibo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Inverted Y axis is the devil's work.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Hail Satan

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lurdiak posted:

It has its time and place, and it's for flight sims ONLY.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Harrow posted:

I just want all games to let me invert the Y axis because I'm a mutant and I can't play with it non-inverted. Wind Waker on the Wii U is challenging for me because you can't invert the Y axis.

Or maybe it's time you GET WITH THE PROGRAM

Same goes to all you left-handed "people", a.k.a. sinister-handed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

It has its time and place, and it's for flight sims ONLY.

What kind of jerk plays flight sims though.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Once I leave work I'm gonna name my save file "Epona" and my horse "Link"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have no idea why I even got used to inverted Y axis in the first place but despite my best efforts I am forever tainted by it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

flight sims and anything using a thumbstick/joystick get inverted y.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

I have no idea why I even got used to inverted Y axis in the first place but despite my best efforts I am forever tainted by it

We should be friends so neither of us has to swap control schemes when passing the controller off

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I use inverted y-axis too so clearly it's something cool people do.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

People say it has to do with how you think about the camera. If it were a physical thing floating behind your character you would move it downward to look up at the sky, but if you think more abstractly you press up because you want to look up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

Yes

Both axis if you're a weirdo who plays with inverted X too

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In the skateboarding world we call people like you "goofy"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

A videogame character (well, their head) to me is like a camera on a tripod and moving the joystick is like moving the tripod lever.

But when I play a FPS with a mouse, up is up because controlling the view feels like controlling the cursor in any other program.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 3, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

We should be friends so neither of us has to swap control schemes when passing the controller off

:hfive:

Lobok posted:

A videogame character (well, their head) to me is like a camera on a tripod and moving the joystick is like moving the tripod lever.

Huh, that does make sense looking at it that way. Although for some reason I don't invert the X axis so I guess it's not quite the same (unless I'm getting my spatial reasoning all messed up, which is possible)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't even know what my camera preferences are without having a video game in front of me and a controller in my hands.

Like, if you asked me right now, "You push left on the analog stick, where do you want the camera to go," or "You want the camera to point up, what direction do you want to be pointing the analog stick," I have no idea.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

:hfive:

Huh, that does make sense looking at it that way. Although for some reason I don't invert the X axis so I guess it's not quite the same (unless I'm getting my spatial reasoning all messed up, which is possible)

It is the same but the common way of phrasing it as "invert the y axis" isn't really accurate because it implicitly inverts both axes. Otherwise if the x-axis remained the same then when you pressed down-left you'd look/fly up-left which is really strange. If you invert the y axis then choosing invert the x axis means inverting it back again.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 3, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lobok posted:

It is the same but the common way of phrasing it as "invert the y axis" isn't really accurate because it implicitly inverts both axes. Otherwise if the x-axis remained the same then when you pressed down-left you'd look/fly up-left which is really strange.

Ahh yeah okay, that makes sense with what I'm trying to imagine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No wait (this can be confusing without the controller in front of me) it'd be strange for looking, but it'd be correct for flying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Look, the camera can do whatever it wants as long as first person view doesn't have an inverted Y-axis with a non-inverted X-axis. I'm trying to aim a gun not fly a plane you piece of poo poo devs.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Lyraxian/status/837707043045793792

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I have no idea what inverted x axis means but it also doesn't matter what that's set to, I'll always move the camera the wrong direction half the time

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

lets hang out posted:

People say it has to do with how you think about the camera. If it were a physical thing floating behind your character you would move it downward to look up at the sky, but if you think more abstractly you press up because you want to look up.

Yeah, my brain mostly seems to think of the stick as if it were attached to an actual camera on a tripod. So down tilts the camera up and left pans the camera right

In third person games anyway.

If it's first person then up and down stay reversed, but not left and right.

I can adjust to whatever, but that's the most intuitive. Generally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh my god there is too much gaming poo poo to do

Path of Exile's starting a new league today (think Diablo 3 season plus major patch)

NieR Automata's coming out in a couple weeks

Got Horizon on Tuesday, still haven't played more than a couple hours of that

And to top it all off I literally just realized Breath of the Wild is out, and it's on Wii U, because apparently I've been under a rock

Oh my god!!! someone prioritize for me!!!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Oh my god there is too much gaming poo poo to do

Path of Exile's starting a new league today (think Diablo 3 season plus major patch)

NieR Automata's coming out in a couple weeks

Got Horizon on Tuesday, still haven't played more than a couple hours of that

And to top it all off I literally just realized Breath of the Wild is out, and it's on Wii U, because apparently I've been under a rock

Oh my god!!! someone prioritize for me!!!!!

Play Atelier Firis obviously.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Finish playing the one you already started and then move on to the next

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ImpAtom posted:

Play Atelier Firis obviously.

gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

lets hang out posted:

Finish playing the one you already started and then move on to the next

Probably the correct answer but I gotta admit I'm sore tempted by BotW now that I know it's out

I guess we'll see if I manage to snag a Switch from Fry's after work, and play that if I manage it, Horizon if not

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 3, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We just got $145 in Amazon credit for our Wii U so I'm downloading Horizon, I hope it is good and cool

I would do truly despicable things for a Sleeping Dogs 2

How are you?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you invert both axis I think you get put on a list somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So what is going to be the big AAA release that actually satiates some peoples' blood lust for poo poo show reviews? Like they've been chomping at the bit to indulge themselves in the schadenfreude of a game that's been in development for years and has a huge budget go up in smoke once it's in the hands of reviewers and the gaming public at large.

2016 gave us Battleborn, Mighty No 9, No Man's Sky, Quantum Break, ReCore, and Dead Rising 4. Also it had the entire launch of and subsequent complete indifferent towards VR. And a ton of high-profile sequels that dramatically underperformed even if some of them were actually good games.

You just have to take the dry seasons with the rain. CrowbCat will always find something to make videos out of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38sPNZ8QHO4

• Locked thread