Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Spatulater bro! posted:

How on god's green earth could someone argue against this? The Fly is essentially about a guy contracting AIDS.

Something like "it's just a movie! Don't analyze it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Would it surprise you to know that I've seen like 5 of their FF movies? Wouldn't even know where to begin with most of their stuff, haha.

It wouldn't surprise me because those are the first movies I lined up for viewing.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Finally got approved to maintain a curated shelf at work! It's gonna be fluid as things come and go, but these were my first picks. Am I good?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

Finally got approved to maintain a curated shelf at work! It's gonna be fluid as things come and go, but these were my first picks. Am I good?

You are good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Where's Avengers?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Put Green Room in there

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Trainspotting 2 is good, yes?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That's a really good staff pick shelf.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Please tell me you work at a bank.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Coffee And Pie posted:

This is the most CineD curated shelf.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This is the most CineD curated shelf.

I don't see Robocop on there. Or Dredd, for that matter.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

UnknownMercenary posted:

Put Green Room in there

I already put that on the St Patrick's Day display

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You work at a weird bank

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Replace Knock Knock with Neon Demon.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Replace Knock Knock with Neon Demon.

I was gonna mention how I put that on as an inside joke about my friend's newfound love of Keanu but that works too!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coffee And Pie posted:

Good job :cheerdoge:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My work display today had Moonlight, Tokyo Drifter, Johnny Guitar, Night of the Hunter, Lawrence of Arabia and The Man Who Would Be King.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Soners is an underrated movie.

Fight Club isn't against Tyler, it's just "Jack" has finally owned that he's Tyler.
Shooting a hole through your cheek is only a symbolic act after all.

Still like the plan from the book more than film, rather than setting people free by erasing debt, they were going to destroy history by having the building fall onto the museum. The bomb didn't go off because Tyler is a dweeb that doesn't know poo poo.

If it ever goes on sale, one day I'll read Fight Club 2.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Watching Ghostbusters (2016) for the first time and i'm pretty much having the inverse reaction of everyone else i'd heard talk about it. The ghosts look fine so far and it does "feel" like ghostbusters movie, but the actresses are horrible and not at all funny. (movie is about halfway done) The Extras and B characters are fine, but any time the mains are on screen it just.... dies.

Most people said they loved the actresses but the rest of the movie fell flat.

It's frankly not that good. I liked it more on my first viewing, but the second got to be sort of a slog. Andy Garcia probably gets the best line in the whole thing.

Of the cast,I think Leslie Jones actually comes off the best. Wiig and McCarthy barely register, and though McKinnon walked away with the movie on first watch, the second time she comes across as a series of tics without a character.

I do really like the ghost designs though.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Though to be fair to the film, this ending is loving fantastic and wouldn't have it any other way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PamLPnXk2ic

I just love the "Tyler Durden couldn't even get the bomb right" ending.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

See, I don't get in arguments with my real life movie nerd friends because my real life movie nerd friends know what's up

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The thing with Fight Club is it doesn't do the work for you. It doesn't give you any winks and nods that Tyler is bad and his philosophy is bullshit. Actual fascists don't wink and nod and tell you they're actually the bad guy. They tell people what they want to hear and speak to their frustrations to further their own means. Tyler is charming and the things he speaks out against are common feelings of people, but the solutions he offers are utter stupid bullshit and the most devoted of his army become mindless drones that chant slogans that they don't even understand, while justifying it all to reach an end that they aren't even aware of. Like it should be obvious that this is all pretty bad and you shouldn't be able to let slick sexy presentation tell you otherwise.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

My work display today had Moonlight, Tokyo Drifter, Johnny Guitar, Night of the Hunter, Lawrence of Arabia and The Man Who Would Be King.

That's a drat good line-up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It wouldn't surprise me because those are the first movies I lined up for viewing.

I kept clicking through and it's neverending. I can't help but be impressed by their assuredly terrible output.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Read this really good essay by David Price and wanted to share. The quote is just an excerpt, read more at the link.

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2016/08/25/million-dollar-movie-gorgo-warhol-rocky-and-me/

Richard Price posted:

“Gorgo, Warhol, Rocky, and Me”

By Richard Price

Over the marquee of a beat-up two-dollar movie house in Times Square, there’s an ancient faded sign: “Get More Out of Life—See a Movie.” The visual contrast between that sentiment and the desperate seediness surrounding it would yield, in its bitter irony, a photograph worthy of Walker Evans.

Nonetheless, the sign gives solid advice. Movies have always been a source of self-realization in my life; from Jerry Lewis to James Dean to Woody Allen, the shock of recognition has always signaled the Big Change for me.

But there’s another source of epiphany in a movie house, one much more profound and subtle than the screen—and that’s the audience. And I’ve always felt that the action in the seats was the greater teacher.

Rebel Without a Cause was pure bush-league in the life-lessons department compared with the ever popular torture of trying to worm a finger inside a steel-trap bra while keeping a two-hour, eyes-ahead poker face, or compared with the frantic in-crowd scrambling for who-sits-next-to-whom seating among a group of thirteen-year-old boys. Deep Throat was a rambling, flatulent dirty joke compared with the awesome sexuality of first tongue kiss while watching Topkapi. Psycho was so much “Mister Rogers” compared with the torture of sitting in front of six greaser cretins, who, after ordering you not to turn around, amused themselves through Viva La Vegas by treating your skull to sporadic slaps and buttered popcorn.

Everything—sex, power, kindness, cruelty, love lost and found—was acted out in the dark, no “The End,” and nothing could be exorcised by chanting, “It’s only a movie.”

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I got my taxes and went insane:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

glam rock hamhock posted:

The thing with Fight Club is it doesn't do the work for you. It doesn't give you any winks and nods that Tyler is bad and his philosophy is bullshit. Actual fascists don't wink and nod and tell you they're actually the bad guy. They tell people what they want to hear and speak to their frustrations to further their own means. Tyler is charming and the things he speaks out against are common feelings of people, but the solutions he offers are utter stupid bullshit and the most devoted of his army become mindless drones that chant slogans that they don't even understand, while justifying it all to reach an end that they aren't even aware of. Like it should be obvious that this is all pretty bad and you shouldn't be able to let slick sexy presentation tell you otherwise.

Fight Club is about religion, basically.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Fight Club is about religion, basically.

Nah, it's about how inaction is the most dangerous action.
Also that you shouldn't gently caress with people that handle your food.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

ruddiger posted:

Read this really good essay by David Price and wanted to share. The quote is just an excerpt, read more at the link.

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2016/08/25/million-dollar-movie-gorgo-warhol-rocky-and-me/

This is awesome. Reminds me of Jonathan Lethem's writing.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Coffee And Pie posted:

replace with 10 copies of Only God Forgives

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

corn in the bible posted:

replace with 10 copies of Only God Forgives

Only God Forgives owns

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I didn't like it, but I only saw it once, at home, and didn't give it the attention it deserved.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lmao at Mark Fuhrman polishing his Nazi medals

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

wyoming posted:

Nah, it's about how inaction is the most dangerous action.

So, it's about religion.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Little overwhelmed by what constituted the "big pitcher" of mimosas my friend wanted to split.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Re-watched Denial tonight with my folks - still owns.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah it's all right for a river, but it's poo poo for tubing.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Hat Thoughts posted:

Little overwhelmed by what constituted the "big pitcher" of mimosas my friend wanted to split.

Why did you forget your tampons?!? :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Yo, church, don't forget tomorrow night:

• Locked thread