Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Logan was really good. Every fight scene with Laura is great, and everything about Xavier was super sad. Stewart did a hell of a job, as did Jackman.

Also, fun surprise before the movie. There are no after-credits, but what comes before the movie makes up for it. I can also see why they decided to run that before the movie and not after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh yeah, that would have really hosed with the mood you're in at the end of the film.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Did I miss something? I did duck out of the theatre to get a hot dog during the trailers, but I came back during the Marvel logo ident and it started with the gangbangers trying to steal Logan's limo's wheels (it's literally the first plot thing in the film, nerds, so not spoiler tagging it)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

...Did I miss something? I did duck out of the theatre to get a hot dog during the trailers, but I came back during the Marvel logo ident and it started with the gangbangers trying to steal Logan's limo's wheels (it's literally the first plot thing in the film, nerds, so not spoiler tagging it)

Bro there was a Deadpool 2 teaser FULL of goofy easter eggs

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

It just hit me that Rhyno's avatar is basically a big mapping joke, yet "Bloodshot, but he works at a school" is literally Wolverine.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Bro there was a Deadpool 2 teaser FULL of goofy easter eggs

We didn't get that here evidently, that fuckin sucks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

We didn't get that here evidently, that fuckin sucks

Yeah, that SUPER sucks.

Lol, hint hint at the theme of the teaser.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That sounds actually good, I wouldn't want to break the mood going into Logan.

SonicRulez posted:

Superman's conflict over whether or not he's going to save humanity doesn't work for me in MoS or BvS, because it's rarely if ever reflected in him. Every other character in the movie debates it internally or talks at him about it, but he never strongly inputs his own thoughts and feelings.

The conflict isn't over whether or not he's going to save humanity, it's whether he can. This struggle is depicted through action and visuals. He never has a speech about how he's uncomfortable with all the demands he faces, instead there's a scene of him despairing while mobbed by worshippers.

e: Which is why Phylodox's conviction that GotG is a movie about pain and loss is so Quixotic, because it uses very little imagery or action to that effect. It's really an upbeat adventure fantasy where some characters are upset for one scene each.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 3, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Logan was fantastic. After 17 years of near-bloodless Wolverine kills, those first five minutes were quite a shock. I love how they fully committed to that R rating.

What a perfect sendoff for Xavier and Logan both. Based on the trailers, you kind of knew Xavier was going to die, but I'm glad they made the decision to end Logan's story here too. Jackman did an amazing job as the old broken gunslinger coming out of retirement. Having first-hand experience watching Alzheimer's destroy someone, Xavier's first couple scenes just crushed me. Does anyone know what his last words were? I couldn't hear them in my theater.

Shane's been on my list of movies to watch for a while, but now it's taking a priority.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Logan was fantastic. After 17 years of near-bloodless Wolverine kills, those first five minutes were quite a shock. I love how they fully committed to that R rating.

What a perfect sendoff for Xavier and Logan both. Based on the trailers, you kind of knew Xavier was going to die, but I'm glad they made the decision to end Logan's story here too. Jackman did an amazing job as the old broken gunslinger coming out of retirement. Having first-hand experience watching Alzheimer's destroy someone, Xavier's first couple scenes just crushed me. Does anyone know what his last words were? I couldn't hear them in my theater.

Shane's been on my list of movies to watch for a while, but now it's taking a priority.

He's talking about the sunspear (?), the boat they were going to buy and sail away in, that's his last line.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's kind of hosed up that Laura has to live with the knowledge that her metal bones will slowly poison her to death

Anyone catch the fill page during the Laura Dossier scene? Your eyeliner goes straight to HOWLETT, James but right under are some numbers and the letters JGS. Given how Xavier was in communication with Laura, maybe it's Jean Grey Summers genetic material?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

e: Which is why Phylodox's conviction that GotG is a movie about pain and loss is so Quixotic, because it uses very little imagery or action to that effect. It's really an upbeat adventure fantasy where some characters are upset for one scene each.

Just keep flailing and eventually you'll make it true!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FilthyImp posted:

It's kind of hosed up that Laura has to live with the knowledge that her metal bones will slowly poison her to death

Anyone catch the fill page during the Laura Dossier scene? Your eyeliner goes straight to HOWLETT, James but right under are some numbers and the letters JGS. Given how Xavier was in communication with Laura, maybe it's Jean Grey Summers genetic material?

Xavier saying "doesn't she remind you of someone?" made my mind go there as well.

Overall I thought this movie was legit. Much better action than I was expecting, especially Laura's contribution. And those hotel kills - brutal! This didn't just feel like an acceptable Wolverine/X-Men/superhero film, it was a really good movie just in general. Having his past come back to haunt him in a very literal way with the clone was a little on the nose but pretty smart all the same. And fun!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Laura won't have to die of adamantium cancer, because she's not heading for a life of war and injury that will wear out her healing factor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, it's unclear if she's like the comic version and only has it on her claws, which would limit the exposure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

Also, it's unclear if she's like the comic version and only has it on her claws, which would limit the exposure.

In the footage from Transigen I think it was her tibias that were exposed, which would suggest they were working on her skeleton, unless they were working only on her foot claws and that's where those claws hang out when they're not out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Regarding Laura they couldn't lace her bones with adamantium, because she's a kid and still growing. If her entire skeleton was covered, then she'd probably just die as the adamantium crushes her growing bones. So I'm apt to believe that she's like the comic version where they only attached the adamantium claws to her.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Deadpool, and it's an oddly anemic movie. The main narrative boils down to just three main plot beats (hero tries to stop villain, villain kidnaps hero's girlfriend, hero fights villain), while the hero's lowest points and greatest struggles are entirely contained in flashback. It feels more like a two-part pilot that's been cut into a movie (the flashbacks are the first part, the main narrative the second part). Blind Al specifically reads like a TV character. The action scenes are the the only parts where Deadpool feels like a movie as opposed to television. It's decent entertainment, but not that good cinema. .

The funniest part is outside of the movie, namely that my mother saw it way before me and it's the only superhero movie I know that she's liked (along with my Christian aunt). I remember how some goon complained about the kind of people it appealed to, which confused me because it's a movie that completely normal people enjoy.

Phylodox posted:

Just keep flailing and eventually you'll make it true!

Through this whole discussion you've been dodging the question of how GotG conveys that it's a story of pain and loss visually, since this is a visual medium. The actual movie that opens with the tragedy of a boy losing his mother, and then shows us the hero defying the sci-fi horror landscape with a song-and-dance to set the tone for the rest of the movie. Spider-Man 1 is a more tragic movie.

You named one example of Quill feeling empathy toward Rocket, but that's a far cry from "broken people" coming together. Another example is Drax comforting Rocket after Groot's seeming death, which is just really basic. Rocket is nominally a broken, freakish animal-person, but in the story he's just a grumpy and contemptuous voice of reason. He never acts broken or animalistic, he has one drunken speech about feeling belittled and having a traumatic past that plays no further part in the movie. He might as well be a small person wearing an animal costume for the impact it has. In Deadpool the hero being treated and feeling like an ugly freak is something that is shown and which affects the course of the plot significantly.

Obviously a lot of plot points are delivered through dialogue, but it's always secondary to the image in the movie. In Mad Max: Fury Road, it's only stated late into the movie that Furiosa is a former slave, but the audience gets the idea the moment she's introduced with the brand prominently on her neck.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 3, 2017

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Actually, Spider-Man (2002) is a very tragic film; it's about a kid who, after being given a gift, lets feelings of hubris and entitlement cause him to misuse said gift which ends in tragedy. This tragedy spurs him to devote his life to atoning for that sin but in doing so he discovers that even this decision can have a terrible price and ramifications. This leads him to learn that the truth of the matter is that there are way more important things than his own happiness and that the only morally correct thing to do is live a lonely and hard life. It's a great film, and out of the entire super-hero film genre, has one of the best discussions of altruism and sacrifice.

Guardians of the Galaxy is different as it is about people coming together rather than ending alone, it's about people surmounting their tragedy rather than falling into it, it's very good.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 3, 2017

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It baffles me how with every new post BotL somehow manages to get even loving dumber. How is he not banned from this thread yet?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Karloff posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is different as it is about people coming together rather than ending alone, it's about people surmounting their tragedy rather than falling into it, it's very good.

The problem becomes apparent when you look at what the tragedy involved is. The catastrophe that the Guardians are trying to stop is the extinction of culture as represented by Xandar (this is what Ronan specifically states he wants, and is what drives the events of the movie). But it's a conflict without any emotional or dramatic investment, since Xandar is such a vague and insubstantial setting. Xandar is just arbitrarily the Good Place that has to be protected from Ronan (hence it's coded as a liberal-ish Western-type metropolis; the Nova Corps are represented by white people). Quill specifically has to motivate the other Guardians to give a poo poo about Xandar. Even he doesn't care about Xandar specifically, he wants to improve their lot in life by becoming heroes as his motivational speech states. It's easy to care about, but it's a very limp conflict, which is why the focus lands on the individual characters.

RevolverDivider posted:

It baffles me how with every new post BotL somehow manages to get even loving dumber.

Deadpool is decent but not great, sorry to say.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 3, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just put him on ignore. You don't want to have an honest convo about Tintin, I don't wanna talk to you at all.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
God drat between all the loving arguing with BotL and the Logan spoilers, I'm going to have to avoid this thread.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

McCloud posted:

Edit:

The whole point is that Superman doesn't know if he wants to continue to help. Supermans motivations for helping humanity were established in MoS, so BvS doesn't rehash them, instead it explores what happens when his love for humanity is tested, and if he's going to turn his back on them when they reject his help. Ma says if he wants to help because he thinks it's the right thing to do, then go for it, but not of any sense of guilt, he doesn't owe anything to anyone. What Pa is saying is that there are consequences for your actions, no matter if they're backed by good intent, and you do what you need to do, and you learn to live with the consequences. This makes his decision to actually give a gently caress and give his life more important, because he's sacrificing himself not of any misplaced sense of duty or responsibility, but out of love for his fellow humans.

As already mentioned, the decision point you mention at the end of you paragraph is never shown on screen, or even alluded. We can assume it happens, due to Superman's sacrifice and previous depictions of the character, and that is most likely the filmmakers intent, but based solely on what's on screen we can just as easily assume he fought and died primarily to save his personal family. Which again, is human and good, but falls short of the Messiah metaphor.

McCloud posted:

Regarding wonderwoman and the other cameos, this movie references Excalibur a lot, borrowing lots of visual imagery, casting both Supes and Bats as King Arthur (one at his noblest, and the other at his lowest). I suspect Snyder is going for a sort of "King Arthur assembles the Knights of the Round" thing, a theme starting in this movie that will be paid more attention to in the next one. And she steals pretty much every scene she's in as well, so I'd argue that even if she could be cut out of the movie with no changes to the story, it would still be a net loss because she was pretty badass. YMMV though. Still, I rather they try to integrate this sort of thing in to the plot itself rather than have a teaser at the end of the credits.

Personally I loved the movie, it was like an wagnerian opera, an epic tragedy about how the human flaw of the gods leads to ruin, reminiscent of the ancient greek myths.

Wonder Woman was by far my favorite part of the film, and an Arthurian take on the beginnings of the Justice League seems like a fair read. The problem is that these elements are entirely in service to films that haven't been released. You could remove Wonder Woman and the cameos from the film and lose nothing of narrative value. In fact, it'd probably help the narrative to remove the latter.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The problem becomes apparent when you look at what the tragedy involved is. The catastrophe that the Guardians are trying to stop is the extinction of culture as represented by Xandar (this is what Ronan specifically states he wants, and is what drives the events of the movie).

No, that's not the tragedy they were talking about. Seriously, just actually watch the movie. Like for real, not as some contrarian Zack Snyder fanboy troll. Everything all these people have told you is there is actually there! You just struggle to understand the movie because SMG hasn't written a pages-long treatise on its themes and imagery for you to piggyback onto.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
(Oh, and SPOILERS: SMG thinks it's about class warfare and Christian Marxism.)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Logan was well phenomenal. I was so ready for Laura and she absolutely delivered. I am down for a movie about her later in life. The emotional strings really got me. At the end there, I just kept racing my brain trying to think of a way for him to survive. Like maybe I'd forgotten some plot point that would come back around. If you didn't feel when that kid said "Daddy" then I don't want to be friends. I almost went full nerd when Logan got juiced and got to be Wolverine one last time.

Leaving out most of the continuity was the right call. We get hints and bits of what happened to everyone else, but that's all we need. Poor Charles.

And that Deadpool bit was grade A. Especially since none of us saw it coming. They were smart and just put it in the film.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

As already mentioned, the decision point you mention at the end of you paragraph is never shown on screen, or even alluded. We can assume it happens, due to Superman's sacrifice and previous depictions of the character, and that is most likely the filmmakers intent, but based solely on what's on screen we can just as easily assume he fought and died primarily to save his personal family. Which again, is human and good, but falls short of the Messiah metaphor.

The decision is taken when he's done talking to ghostdad. Pa says that what makes the hard choices bearable is finding someone you love, who will lend you the strength you need to bear the weight of the consequences. Clarks love of humanity was established in MoS and it is assumed the viewer is aware of the events there.
Clarks struggle in BvS is whether he can keep fighting as Superman. At one point Lois asks him if she is stipping him from being true to his self as a hero, but the answer to that is that she fuels and reaffirms his dedication, not an obstacle like she is afraid that she is.
It just took some soul searching for him to realise that.
And it is through Lois that he can love and sacrifice for humanity.

glitchwraith posted:

Wonder Woman was by far my favorite part of the film, and an Arthurian take on the beginnings of the Justice League seems like a fair read. The problem is that these elements are entirely in service to films that haven't been released. You could remove Wonder Woman and the cameos from the film and lose nothing of narrative value. In fact, it'd probably help the narrative to remove the latter.

Just like MoS hinted at the themes of a sequel so to does BvS. I rather they lay some thematic groundwork for a future payoff than have some silly stinger at the end of the credits.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

McCloud posted:

The decision is taken when he's done talking to ghostdad. Pa says that what makes the hard choices bearable is finding someone you love, who will lend you the strength you need to bear the weight of the consequences. Clarks love of humanity was established in MoS and it is assumed the viewer is aware of the events there.
Clarks struggle in BvS is whether he can keep fighting as Superman. At one point Lois asks him if she is stipping him from being true to his self as a hero, but the answer to that is that she fuels and reaffirms his dedication, not an obstacle like she is afraid that she is.
It just took some soul searching for him to realise that.
And it is through Lois that he can love and sacrifice for humanity.

I'll have to rewatch the movie to refresh my memory, as I honestly don't recall much of Superman and Lois' scenes. Unfortunately, that will probably not happen anytime soon as I have little motivation for a rewatch. Maybe if the extended cut hits streaming or HBO or something.

McCloud posted:

Just like MoS hinted at the themes of a sequel so to does BvS. I rather they lay some thematic groundwork for a future payoff than have some silly stinger at the end of the credits.

MoS was very much stand-alone. There where a few hints of a wider world, such as the Wayne satellite and LexCorp trucks, but they where ultimately just background dressing. Every scene supported the story currently being told. On the other hand, BvS took time away from getting into the plot vital third act to show three, awkwardly bunched scenes virtually identical to a stinger except not tucked away in the easily ignorable after credits space. Before that, we had a dream sequence to further explore Batman's motivations that suddenly gets invaded by parademons and the Flash in weird armor. Comic fans are now wondering why and how future Flash is entering Bruce's dreams. General audiences are sitting there scratching their heads. I'm all for laying groundwork for future films, but not if it gets in the way of the current movie.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

MoS was very much stand-alone. There where a few hints of a wider world, such as the Wayne satellite and LexCorp trucks, but they where ultimately just background dressing. Every scene supported the story currently being told. On the other hand, BvS took time away from getting into the plot vital third act to show three, awkwardly bunched scenes virtually identical to a stinger except not tucked away in the easily ignorable after credits space. Before that, we had a dream sequence to further explore Batman's motivations that suddenly gets invaded by parademons and the Flash in weird armor. Comic fans are now wondering why and how future Flash is entering Bruce's dreams. General audiences are sitting there scratching their heads. I'm all for laying groundwork for future films, but not if it gets in the way of the current movie.

Makes me think that there might've been a late studio mandate to incorporate those characters in and so Snyder threw in some quicktime files and a dream sequence (or edited a filmed dream sequence) to make it all fit. Those all seem really unnecessary in the film.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

glitchwraith posted:

I like how that guy said 'thematic' and you just decided to ignore him completely, haha.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

I like how that guy said 'thematic' and you just decided to ignore him completely, haha.

I read that, but I don't see how that changes any of the points I was arguing. How do those scenes lay 'thematic' groundwork?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Guys, Logan was awesome. We don't have to argue about old(dumb) poo poo anymore.

And we have such a bright future to look forward to, full of Spider-Men and Hulk planets. There's no need to get caught up in this endless cycle of tedium like we're locked in a time loop when comic book movies keep getting better and better.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Hinting at the themes of a sequel" doesn't actually mean anything. Maybe the Cyborg movie will be some weird body horror exploration of coping with physical impairment (which sounds awful by the way), but considering that movie doesn't actually exist yet (probably even in script form), it's just an excuse to give the movie points for shoving in really distracting scenes that add nothing to the movie you're currently watching. It doesn't even make sense as an argument. What are the "themes" present in those clips, because I had to really reach even just for that Cyborg example. What is "thematic" about Wonder Woman's presence in that movie, or Flash time-traveling into Bruce Wayne's dream?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ok, for real post about the DCEU, I really hope Wonder Woman is good because unlike Batman and Superman, that's a character that has never gotten the chance to star on the big screen.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If anything, I thought the Knightmare sequence was way, way too prosaic. Snyder could have gone full-on trippy dream logic imagery, but instead just made a long, distracting action sequence. And the fact that I'm asking for fewer action sequences in such a long, dull movie should tell you how uninteresting I found that scene.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

No, that's not the tragedy they were talking about. Seriously, just actually watch the movie. Like for real, not as some contrarian Zack Snyder fanboy troll. Everything all these people have told you is there is actually there! You just struggle to understand the movie because SMG hasn't written a pages-long treatise on its themes and imagery for you to piggyback onto.

Phylodox posted:

(Oh, and SPOILERS: SMG thinks it's about class warfare and Christian Marxism.)

Lol

It's a safe and passably entertaining space adventure with lame storytelling, like over-reliance on exposition and unfortunate themes. It's no Hot Fuzz.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

It's a safe and passably entertaining space adventure with lame storytelling, like over-reliance on exposition and unfortunate themes. It's no Hot Fuzz.

Again, maybe if you keep saying that, then against all evidence and multiple people pointing out, with explanations and examples, it will become true!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sorry Phy, I'm putting you on ignore now too. It's pointless to block someone if you just keep responding and quoting them.

twistedmentat posted:

What the hell is wrong with Magik?
This is from a while back but, in a nutshell: she is too waifu for me. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

This is from a while back but, in a nutshell: she is too waifu for me. :v:

She's also seems like a difficult character to faithfully adapt and introduce in a 2 hour movie without either making the movie unduly focused on her insanely convoluted backstory, being confusing, or not having you care about her the way you should. There are definitely multiple ways to do it "properly," but she's a character that requires careful handling in a way no other New Mutants character does* if you don't want her drama to risk crowding out the other characters that should be getting focus in a genuine New Mutants movie.

*(An argument can probably be made for Warlock as well, but I think fundamentally his backstory poo poo is much easier to deal with/ignore as needed, though it could also be used as a basis for a complete movie.)

• Locked thread