Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

deong posted:

Well that just seems like a no brainer. I'd dump GPM if you get Spotify "free".
Dunno if it works, but it claims to as of 2/17. Unportify

I'll give that a try, too bad there's no simple XML export import or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Is "data saver" the new " Restrict app background data" on newer versions of android? I will be traveling abroad and can't seem to find the old " Restrict app background data" option, only the data saver option, which in turn only seems to restrict cellular data.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Pulled the trigger and ordered a Pixel XL two days ago. Pretty preposterous that I have to wait a month for something I just spent over 800 bucks on but whatever. Not even so much as a tracking number or shipment confirmation yet. Do these things sit in deep-sea treasure chests that Google employees have to dive for to retrieve? Sheeeiiitt. I'm just excited.

Need to start finding replacements for the premium apps I've bought on iOS.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ShoogaSlim posted:

Pulled the trigger and ordered a Pixel XL two days ago. Pretty preposterous that I have to wait a month for something I just spent over 800 bucks on but whatever. Not even so much as a tracking number or shipment confirmation yet. Do these things sit in deep-sea treasure chests that Google employees have to dive for to retrieve? Sheeeiiitt. I'm just excited.

It's been 12 days since I ordered an XL and I still haven't got anything but the initial email saying I ordered it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

^ my heart hurts

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ShoogaSlim posted:

They don't have one to send to you. You'll get a tracking number when they slap a tracking number on a box.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ilkhan posted:

They don't have one to send to you.

:confused:

Then why was I able to purchase one? Is there something about e-commerce I'm completely missing? Shouldn't it have said "Sold Out" then?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Then why was I able to purchase one? Is there something about e-commerce I'm completely missing? Shouldn't it have said "Sold Out" then?

Have you never heard of "backordered"?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

So did you not pay attention when it estimated the delivery date of a month or two out?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/waCF81HdKAA?t=52

Replace grapefruit with online shopping.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

Because then you would be whining about "why don't they just let me place the order, reserve my spot in line, and get the phone when it comes back in stock"

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Because then you would be whining about "why don't they just let me place the order, reserve my spot in line, and get the phone when it comes back in stock"
Exactly. Which is exactly what people did for the Nexus 4 and 5 before they started allowing backorders.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Google email posted:

While supplies last. If the version of the product you want is not available, you will have the opportunity to sign up for the waitlist of the specific version you want.

This was the disclaimer at the bottom of the email I got when it said the Pixel was "here, in limited quantities." Turns out that any of the device configurations that weren't available simply said they were sold out.

I'm whining, yes, but overall I'm obviously fine with waiting or else I wouldn't have pulled the trigger. I would just prefer more transparency regarding the process. Even some marketing-approved mumbo jumbo like "we're working on getting your order ready to go and will email you again when it's ready to ship" is a little more satisfying than "YOU HAVE PURCHASED A PHONE. IT WILL SHIP AT SOME POINT. MAYBE IN A MONTH. FAREWELL."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Surprisingly, Lemoto has been doing an OK job at keeping the Droid Z up to date (more or less.)

It got the Jan security patch and mine is downloading the Feb patch right now.

Sure, it's March and the March patch will be out next week, but being less than 30 days behind the current security patch level still puts it above a lot of the phones out there.

No sign of 7.1.1 though, still just 7.0.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.
Do they not do refunds?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

This was the disclaimer at the bottom of the email I got when it said the Pixel was "here, in limited quantities." Turns out that any of the device configurations that weren't available simply said they were sold out.

I'm whining, yes, but overall I'm obviously fine with waiting or else I wouldn't have pulled the trigger. I would just prefer more transparency regarding the process. Even some marketing-approved mumbo jumbo like "we're working on getting your order ready to go and will email you again when it's ready to ship" is a little more satisfying than "YOU HAVE PURCHASED A PHONE. IT WILL SHIP AT SOME POINT. MAYBE IN A MONTH. FAREWELL."
Reminding you they don't charge you until it ships.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I opted into the beta for Gboard and it has a few new features like an automatic gif search hint, a Pixel-like theme, and generally feels a bit more responsive. I recommend it!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I opted into the beta for Gboard and it has a few new features like an automatic gif search hint, a Pixel-like theme, and generally feels a bit more responsive. I recommend it!

Gboard is so inconsistent in the stable version there's no way I'd consider using the beta. Play Services has a beta now too and you'd have to be a lunatic to join that.

As for Google and their Pixel poo poo, I have to side with ShoogaSlim here. Is it out of stock? Is it backordered? How long is the queue? Are they all coming back in stock eventually? Who the gently caress knows--probably not Google and definitely not anyone trying to buy the things.

It's a really lovely experience and certainly not one people should be having after 4 months of availability. I can kind of understand the unexpected bump they got with Note7s exploding but come on, it's more than a third of the way through its availability lifecycle and they still can't manage supply? That's ridiculous.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Gboard is so inconsistent in the stable version there's no way I'd consider using the beta.

It's been great for me so far :shrug:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's been great for me so far :shrug:

I'm sure it does. The problem with Gboard isn't in its function, it's in the fact that autocorrect and swiping doesn't work the same way every time with every release and more releases can only exacerbate the problem. There's no way consistency can be a problem with a sample size of one.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I can agree as a Moto Z Play user where the Android version has stayed at 6.0 for at least 4 months, before using a Droid Turbo for longer than 12 months that data and wifi have been spotty at best and super inconcistent the whole drat time. I wouldn't expect less from the Moto Z series. That being said, it's too early to tell with my current phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

Gboard is so inconsistent in the stable version there's no way I'd consider using the beta. Play Services has a beta now too and you'd have to be a lunatic to join that.

I joined the beta for Gboard, play services, and 7.1.2 so come at me, bro

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lol look at how Samsung can't figure out status bar icon coloring in Nougat (my work S7 on AT&T):

Jesus Christ.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

hooah posted:

Lol look at how Samsung can't figure out status bar icon coloring in Nougat (my work S7 on AT&T):

Jesus Christ.

In Samsung's defense you appear to be using some dumbass theme.

That pane looks right on both stock and the Material theme I'm using.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 4, 2017

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hmm. I think I'm using a free Material theme from their theme store. Is there now an official one?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I've downloaded Cameron Bunch's material and material dark themes, looks OK.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yup, those ones look just fine, thanks.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Pixel 2 is going to be a thing right?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Purr Objectives posted:

yes

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Purr Objectives posted:

Efb

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Purr Objectives posted:

Yes. I'd bet it launches right about the time the shipments for the Pixel 1 get caught up.

Google needs to have a come to jesus meeting with HTC and figure this supply chain concept out. I realize demand always seems to stun them (began with Nexus 4) but it's pretty clear there is kinda a market for the Pixel line. So, make things and ship them, count your money.

Hire me Google, I got it all figured out.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 4, 2017

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Oh good. I'm overwhelmingly pleased with the one I have and I honestly think they're making a good go at Apple by controlling manufacturing and getting the software on lockdown. My husband said he'd consider getting rid of his iPhone for one which says a lot. He's always been a diehard iOS guy.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Why does the lock screen of a Galaxy S4 turn on when you set it on top of a Galaxy Tab A in just the right spot?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

fletcher posted:

Why does the lock screen of a Galaxy S4 turn on when you set it on top of a Galaxy Tab A in just the right spot?

NFC antennas making contact would be my guess.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It's how the flip wallet cases work, there's an element in the cover that some sensor on the phone detects, which locks the phone when you close the case.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Reminding you they don't charge you until it ships.

Tell that to the 800 bucks missing from my checking account like right after I clicked the buy button.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

ShoogaSlim posted:

Tell that to the 800 bucks missing from my checking account like right after I clicked the buy button.

I believe they put a credit hold on the card but don't actually charge until it ships. However a credit hold on your debit card is effectively the same thing as charging you right away. In other words, don't use your debit card to buy things on the Internet.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

HTC10 with Nougat

Where is the option to immediately lock screen with the power button? This was something in MM, but I cannot find it for the life of me in N.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

What he said. They put a credit hold on, to verify the card is valid and enough money is there. If it's a credit card and they don't ship, within a few days it will fall off. If you use a debit card on the internet you're just being stupid.

Seriously, how does anybody not know that, these days? It's the same drat question that pops up every time there is a major tech release. "OMG my card has been charged!" No. That's what the little"(pending)" thing means.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

a lot of weird debit card hate iit