Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

He plug-converted a nema locking plug to a non-locking plug... for his PDU

Thanks Ants posted:

The idea of purchasing a PDU without knowing where it's connecting to, and what is connecting to it, and therefore ordering the correct plug/outlet combo is completely alien to me.

I actually looked up what PDU he was using, and to be fair, the PDU actually ships with those adapters. And at least both the connectors are 20A, and he's not doing a 30A twist-lock to 20A plug adapter.

https://www.tripplite.com/3.8kw-single-phase-metered-pdu-dual-circuit-120v-outlets-32-5-15-20r-l5-20p-5-20p-10ft-cord-0u-vertical~PDUMV40/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jesus you guys have so many outlet options. I only have to deal with 10A/20A IEC, UK 13A mains and a couple of CEE 16a/32a mains connectors.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
That dude is literally the worst example of a screeching nerd I could possibly imagine. It would be excusable if his videos were intentionally entertaining or if the info or guidance he presented was actually correct or useful. But he's awful, constantly makes bad decisions and yet somehow... still gets paid to do this??? WHY?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

That dude is literally the worst example of a screeching nerd I could possibly imagine. It would be excusable if his videos were intentionally entertaining or if the info or guidance he presented was actually correct or useful. But he's awful, constantly makes bad decisions and yet somehow... still gets paid to do this??? WHY?
Because you're watching and sharing his videos, for one.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Uhm... He gets attention for being an annoying fuckhead? I loathe his voice.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I just want to say that I hate you all for linking those lovely Linus videos. I watched a couple for laughs and now his idiot garbage is permanently stuck everywhere YouTube recommends new videos to watch. In the grid of suggestions after a video ends, at the top of the right rail. Everywhere :negative:

Does that mean he paid them to promote his videos or something? It's not like "here is other, similar bad IT advice you might enjoy". It's literally just the rest of his channel's videos.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I just want to say that I hate you all for linking those lovely Linus videos. I watched a couple for laughs and now his idiot garbage is permanently stuck everywhere YouTube recommends new videos to watch. In the grid of suggestions after a video ends, at the top of the right rail. Everywhere :negative:

Does that mean he paid them to promote his videos or something? It's not like "here is other, similar bad IT advice you might enjoy". It's literally just the rest of his channel's videos.

I don't think you can top the entertainment value of him shutting down his entire rack by stepping on a power squid

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mewse posted:

I don't think you can top the entertainment value of him shutting down his entire rack by stepping on a power squid

Cutting himself on a rack rail edge that he probably made sharp by angle-grinding... That might top the power squid.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Blasting small metal fragments through the front of your servers gives them a speed boost

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

Cutting himself on a rack rail edge that he probably made sharp by angle-grinding... That might top the power squid.

Those things can be razor sharp on their own, without the angle grinding. There are quite a few equipment racks out there that have my blood on them somewhere.

But, the fact that he decided to file and angle grind rack rails because:

A) He didn't know how to use them.
B) Had the wrong rails.
C) Had them installed improperly.
D) Cheaped out and bought the crappiest rails and/or server cases possible.

Is inexcusable.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I find it amusing at no point did he stop and think "Wait, why am I doing this when the rails should fit on the server and then also fit in the rack WITHOUT me loving with them?"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Blasting small metal fragments through the front of your servers gives them a speed boost

My friend in college drew flames on his PC case to "make it go faster" :c00lbert:

except he was joking about it, and I'm not convinced Linus would be

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Da red wunz go fasta!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Da red wunz go fasta!

"OK so we're gonna paint the servers red to get some extra read/write speeds."
*walks into server room with paintball gun*
*shoots self in eye*

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Don't forget to paint the door purple. Better than a lock!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James posted:

I find it amusing at no point did he stop and think "Wait, why am I doing this when the rails should fit on the server and then also fit in the rack WITHOUT me loving with them?"

They probably wouldn't have with some shithouse generic rack case/rail combo and the flat-pack rack he ended up with.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

They probably wouldn't have with some shithouse generic rack case/rail combo and the flat-pack rack he ended up with.

Fair enough, but at some point I would have stopped and thought "wtfmate, why am I doing this" (loving kangaroos)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It makes a better video if you hit poo poo with a hammer and drop things on the floor I guess

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone have that video of the guy showing how to remove a heat sink, but he ends up just using a claw hammer?

It's not the howtobasic guide.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Google was able to "break" SHA1:
https://security.googleblog.com/2017/02/announcing-first-sha1-collision.html?m=1

quote:

6,500 years of CPU computation to complete the attack first phase
110 years of GPU computation to complete the second phase
I wish they shared how many actual hours it took, or how they managed to run such a huge job. Did they just run it distributed across all their servers everywhere, using <10% of available CPU or something?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Alfajor posted:

https://security.googleblog.com/2017/02/announcing-first-sha1-collision.html?m=1

I wish they shared how many actual hours it took, or how they managed to run such a huge job. Did they just run it distributed across all their servers everywhere, using <10% of available CPU or something?
They did share that information. http://shattered.io/

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Alfajor posted:

I just assumed that's why AWS went down the other day.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

anthonypants posted:

They did share that information. http://shattered.io/

Sha1tered?

These names are killing me.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Alfajor posted:

Large scale jobs like this are not all that hard, the problem is getting to scale. I have enough nodes in my systems at work to do this in about 3 days, less than .5 if I stitched together multiple clusters.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

He's easy on the eyes at least, unlike that guy who pulls his hairline out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nmfree posted:

I just assumed that's why AWS went down the other day.

No but it broke the WebKit repo last week.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

https://www.law360.com/retail/articles/897385/columbia-sportswear-accuses-former-employee-of-hacking

Hope none of you are Denali employees or customers.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why is the phrase "digital transformation" suddenly popular now? How the hell is word digital back into popular culture?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Why is the phrase "digital transformation" suddenly popular now? How the hell is word digital back into popular culture?

It synergizes well out of the gate so we can hit the ground running.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

It synergizes well out of the gate so we can hit the ground running.

Then we can circle back and ping the code artisans on the gamification project.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Fool posted:

Then we can circle back and ping the code artisans on the gamification project.

Lets touch base on the gamification when we're worked through all of these action items, although that may be a big ask.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jesus gently caress guys you're giving me a heart attack.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Action a requisition on an AED.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vargatron posted:

We'll put in a request to get a paramedic resource assigned to your team.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Sorry that's not in the budget this year you will need to make do with the resources you already have.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Vargatron posted:

Have you submitted a change request for this activity? This sounds like it might be high-impact, resulting in reduced resource availability.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Have you submitted a change request for this activity? This sounds like it might be high-impact, resulting in reduced resource availability.

Change request denied, resource availability not critical. Paramedic resources must be held on standby for actual critical incidents.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Inspector_666 posted:

Is it possible to expedite the resolution of this issue? Please advise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I started this off but I'm regretting it so much that I'm bleeding from the ears I regret everything