Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Season Five's pretty good, but mostly because Minnie's a really great character.

Season Six completely goes to poo poo though, and the show suddenly throws a whole bunch of characterisation out the window and rewrites character histories. It's really bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Well the Taken show sure is off to a mediocre start. That said the main guy does a good young Liam Neeson.

also:

"wow this guy SURE HAS SKILLS *wink wink*"

"hey brian, NEVER HAVE A DAUGHTER LOL amirite"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Holy gently caress The Detour this week.

If you would have told me this show would ever be on TBS while I was flipping past marathons of Corner Gas 10 years ago

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Gargoyles and Batman are solid choices for gothic kids action shows. I'm always impressed by how tight the continuity was on Gargoyles, it was pretty serialised for a show that came before most US studios and networks accepted that ADULTS could follow a serial story outside of soaps, let alone kids.

The other thing I remember Gargoyles having was a bunch of Shakespeare references.

That and having a whole lot of Star Trek actors appearing in recurring roles (Frakes most famously playing the main villain).

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9j6WcdU-ts

What do you guys think of this? I find the premise interesting, but I feel like it could go either way.

e: wait, I thought it was going to be a series, not sure why. Oh well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Inspector 34 posted:

Holy gently caress The Detour this week.

If you would have told me this show would ever be on TBS while I was flipping past marathons of Corner Gas 10 years ago

I wanted to vomit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The other thing I remember Gargoyles having was a bunch of Shakespeare references.

That and having a whole lot of Star Trek actors appearing in recurring roles (Frakes most famously playing the main villain).

I'm not sure how much was coincidence (by which I also count "actors from the same TV show were looking for other work at the same time") or if it was folks bringing aquaintances in on purpose, but yeah. Riker as Xanatos, Troi as Desdemona were the big ones, but there were a lot of others as recurring characters or just an extended arc. Janeway, Data, Uhura, Sisko...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My favourite little bit of Gargoyles trivia is the original intention was for the female lead to be Latina, but when the actress they cast turned out to be mixed-race (half-African-America, half-Native) they made the original version into the police captain and redesigned the character to fit the actor's heritage. Hence why Nichelle Nichols ended up playing her mom.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The High Court is a decent idea with really really bad execution. No way it lasts past it's initial 4 weeks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I disagree, it's a really lame idea.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bosch season 3 comes back April 21 and it's already been renewed for season 4.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

blunt posted:

The High Court is a decent idea with really really bad execution. No way it lasts past it's initial 4 weeks.

I don't know, Comedy Central loves them some Doug Benson.

Who, incidentally, was one of the stand out stars of Lego Batman. I couldn't even tell it wasn't Tom Hardy!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The most Doug Benson has ever made me laugh was when somebody described his stoner shtick as "greenface".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

God those first 2 seasons of Skins are so good. Especially 1 with Tony as a Machiavellian schemer. Fascinating character.

I think 2 is even better and it was really bold of them to do what they did with Tony. And the whole Sid/Cassie plot is just, oh man. I'm not crying, you're crying, shut up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I love the rare episodes where Mulder dismisses the supernatural shenanigans as bullshit, only to be proven wrong.

"This guy ain't a vampire, he just thinks he is" *guy bursts into flames in the sunlight* "Oh."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I think 2 is even better and it was really bold of them to do what they did with Tony. And the whole Sid/Cassie plot is just, oh man. I'm not crying, you're crying, shut up

I'll have to rewatch em both. Definitely agree about the bold move with Tony.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So Hap and Leonard. Thoughts? I love James Purefoy so I am giving the series a go but worried it won't have additional seasons or end on a cliffhanger.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Ugh. It never ends. MORE Big Bang Theory?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/big-bang-theory-sheldon-prequel-series-works-at-cbs-944826

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've never actually seen a episode of Big Bang so when I die I will ascend to paradise.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There's only one Sheldon in my heart.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Arist posted:

I wanted to vomit.

I was actually eating while watching this weeks episode. I'll never make that mistake again. Is that show on cable or can they show that on free tv?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I stopped watching Big Bang Theory years ago because the whole thing got tired like a lot of sitcoms like that but I don't get why everyone gets so worked up about it. Who cares? There's a zillion tv shows to watch. Who cares if Chuck Lorre has like 2 or 3 hours a week on one network for his? Does it affect anyone besides who wins pretty meaningless awards?

Hollismason posted:

So Hap and Leonard. Thoughts? I love James Purefoy so I am giving the series a go but worried it won't have additional seasons or end on a cliffhanger.

I loved it. It had a kind of Justified feel to it. There was no cliffhanger. I'll admit I don't remember the details and ending greatly but my memory is that its a quick little 6 episode story that ties up as neatly as any novel. The characters and settings and elements still exist for a second book, but the story of the book you just read is finished.

And looks like the second season is debuting March 15th anyway. Which is great news because I had no idea. I gotta find a place to stream the first season for a re-watch.

edit: Netflix. Cool. I definitely recommend it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 4, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I loved it. It had a kind of Justified feel to it. There was no cliffhanger. I'll admit I don't remember the details and ending greatly but my memory is that its a quick little 6 episode story that ties up as neatly as any novel. The characters and settings and elements still exist for a second book, but the story of the book you just read is finished.

And looks like the second season is debuting March 15th anyway. Which is great news because I had no idea. I gotta find a place to stream the first season for a re-watch.

edit: Netflix. Cool. I definitely recommend it.

Yeah I'm digging it. Also at 6 episodes its a easy watch commitment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

I stopped watching Big Bang Theory years ago because the whole thing got tired like a lot of sitcoms like that but I don't get why everyone gets so worked up about it. Who cares? There's a zillion tv shows to watch. Who cares if Chuck Lorre has like 2 or 3 hours a week on one network for his? Does it affect anyone besides who wins pretty meaningless awards?

I've only seen a dozen or so episodes of it, and I'm not mad that it exists, but a series about Sheldon as a teenager sounds like the worst most insufferable thing imaginable. Like even if you're a fan of the show I'm struggling to think of what the appeal would be since it's gonna be a forgone conclusion that Sheldon never learns anything and is a terrible robot person the whole time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since it's going to be set in the past there will no doubt be countless references to the present day, things that from the characters perspective haven't happened yet.

I just got angry thinking about that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope they make him an articulate and friendly kid and that he became a sperg because of some horrific tragedy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The last scene of the series is him sitting down and creating a Reddit account.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Coming up next on CBS, the new hit show How I Got My Architect's Degree

Tune into FOX for The Twick and Glee Thru 10

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I knew people who loved Sheldon and related to him back in the day. That was years ago and I have no idea if they still do but I assume the spin-off is directed towards the same room.

Also, it's a hugely successful show that's become super expensive because of a huge cast so of course there's a spin-off.

I just noticed the other night that some channel has an entire night that looks like "Chicago PD", "Chicago FD", and "Chicago Law" and I just laughed. Some day there will just be a network that does a different city each night and I won't even notice enough to laugh because I'll have 100 shows and movies DVRed and queued on streaming services.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

Skinner is my favorite X-Files character after Mulder. I was so hyped for him to be back in season 9. :barf:

It will never not be weird to me that Supernatural did an X-Files parody during the one season that Mitch Pileggi was a regular character, and he wasn't even in the episode.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

precision posted:

I've only seen a dozen or so episodes of it, and I'm not mad that it exists, but a series about Sheldon as a teenager sounds like the worst most insufferable thing imaginable. Like even if you're a fan of the show I'm struggling to think of what the appeal would be since it's gonna be a forgone conclusion that Sheldon never learns anything and is a terrible robot person the whole time.

The actor they cast looks about six or seven, so hardly a teenager. Also apparently Laurie Metcalf's daughter will be playing his mother...

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I don't think the Netflix Ninja Warrior show is as bad as the person earlier who called it garbage. I feel like the obstacle course is more spectator friendly than Ninja Warrior's at least with the branching paths, optional extra points, and more dynamic elements. The biggest thing wrong with it in my opinion is the final set piece since it's a large climb but because your only goal isn't to reach the top they let you continue if you fall off. It feels like that goes against the premise of a giant climb. I think a better idea if they wanted it to feel more like a race would have been a set of X obstacles where you could choose the order you tackle them in, so contestants would pick whatever order they were most confident with.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 4, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nah, being able to still win if you are fast enough to fall off and reclimb is pretty badass. Challenges should be about overcoming obstacles, not just avoiding accidents.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Snak posted:

Nah, being able to still win if you are fast enough to fall off and reclimb is pretty badass. Challenges should be about overcoming obstacles, not just avoiding accidents.

They don't put them back at the bottom. They just kinda hang in their harness a few feet below where they fell from until they latch back on and try again because it's not exactly a race to the top. It's all about hitting hard to reach buttons along the way. Only if people hit the same number of buttons after a few minutes do they use climb height as a secondary objective. I've only seen the first two episodes but between both of them the finals of the second episode was sort of an anticlimax because both players got stuck in relatively the same place.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

They don't put them back at the bottom. They just kinda hang in their harness a few feet below where they fell from until they latch back on and try again because it's not exactly a race to the top. It's all about hitting hard to reach buttons along the way. Only if people hit the same number of buttons after a few minutes do they use climb height as a secondary objective. I've only seen the first two episodes but between both of them the finals of the second episode was sort of an anticlimax because both players got stuck in relatively the same place.

Oh.

That sounds dumb.

Man. Terry Crews hosting was almost enough to get me hyped for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You'd think that Terry Crews hosting a show called Ultimate Beastmaster would be a sure thing. You would be wrong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What they need to make is an adaptation of Kinniku Banzuke. I liked Unbeatable Banzuke more than Ninja Warrior when it used to come on g4.

Superrodan posted:

I don't think the Netflix Ninja Warrior show is as bad as the person earlier who called it garbage. I feel like the obstacle course is more spectator friendly than Ninja Warrior's at least with the branching paths, optional extra points, and more dynamic elements.

How are branching paths more spectator friendly?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

What they need to make is an adaptation of Kinniku Banzuke. I liked Unbeatable Banzuke more than Ninja Warrior when it used to come on g4

I had to look this up to see what it was but now that I remember it I totally agree. That show was fun as hell.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Legion is now airing on Hulu, new episodes go up the Sunday after they run on FX. Not sure yet if they're doing live+5 or the whole show but since we're only four eps in now, good time to catch up either way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anybody watched The Arrangement yet? From the description it sounds like it could be up the same alley as Unreal.

EDIT: I read another description and threes a cult or something nvm. I thought it was about a struggling actress who gets a huge role then learns some shady underbelly poo poo, but without a cult.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 4, 2017

• Locked thread