Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think it's unlikely that they'll omit Magik entirely from any New Mutants film; she's "Colossus' sister' after all, and everyone knows who Colossus is now thanks to Deadpool, and Fox will want to bank on that connection.

And I honestly haven't given much thought to how she'd work in a movie, I just know I've gotten super sick of Illyana and Her Issues throughout her last couple rounds of stories. I don't think I can handle a whole movie of Illyana and Her Issues. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They could always just dump her backstory, marvel did it for Wanda

heck people liked negasonic in deadpool and she has no backstory and like 10 lines in the whole movie, you just gotta use her well

site fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 4, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is Negasonic gonna be in Deadpool 2?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Here's hoping.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hollismason posted:

Is Negasonic gonna be in Deadpool 2?
I think they had said yes previously

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

site posted:

They could always just dump her backstory, marvel did it for Wanda

heck people liked negasonic in deadpool and she has no backstory and like 10 lines in the whole movie, you just gotta use her well

That's completely true and is one of the valid approaches I suggested exist, I would just posit that "surly teen who can explode in the manner her superhero name suggests" is much easier to quickly and completely convey in a cinematic manner than "girl who is weird and spooky because she spent her formative years in a hell dimension that she later took over with literal black magic and a glowing sword she made out of her soul, also she has the mutant power to freely traverse space and time, also she has pre-existing relationships with a bunch of other characters that are now weird because she changed completely in a literal instant from their perspective."

Like you can pare away or adapt parts of this to make her more manageable as a character (which the description above already does- i.e I don't think we'll be getting alternate reality Storm teaching her magic before turning into a tree), but the essence of her behavior, relationships with the New Mutants team and very broad and rather incoherent power set are very tied up in a drama-heavy series of events that need to exist as backstory or something that happens during the film (or films). In contrast, it's much easier to dump Wanda's entire backstory because it's unnecessary to get the essence of her day-to-day interactions with the other members of the Avengers right, and they also have no future plans (or legal rights) to use the characters where Wanda's backstory would be most relevant.

Also, Negasonic better be back dangit. :mad:

LGD fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 4, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
gently caress negasonix (well i would) I wanna see rockslide and blob Herman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

This is from a while back but, in a nutshell: she is too waifu for me. :v:

Hah, no problem. I mean, I'm probably the only person who can literally say she's my second favorite female x-men (after Rogue) and pretty high in over all marvel heroes. I'm no sure exactly why, I do know I first saw her in New Mutants when I was at an impression age, and I think that's why I have a thing for hot women in armor with big swords that are also slightly evil.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Got back from Logan and really liked it. Had to groan when it was revealed that the black kid had lightning/electric powers.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One subtle thing I really dug about Logan was (very minor spoiler) near the end, one of the Reavers was shown standing up in a jeep with gun in hand, in a shot that made him look exactly like Bonebreaker, the most iconic Reaver.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's too bad there's a lot from Logan they'll have to negate as the normal X-Men series goes on. It's not set far enough in the future that they can just ignore it.

BrianWilly posted:

I think it's unlikely that they'll omit Magik entirely from any New Mutants film; she's "Colossus' sister' after all, and everyone knows who Colossus is now thanks to Deadpool, and Fox will want to bank on that connection.

And I honestly haven't given much thought to how she'd work in a movie, I just know I've gotten super sick of Illyana and Her Issues throughout her last couple rounds of stories. I don't think I can handle a whole movie of Illyana and Her Issues. v:v:v

The cast (characters not actors) for New Mutants is already confirmed and she's in it.

They'll obviously skip everything that isn't "Colossus' sister with magic powers". Her sword is because magic. She can teleport because magic.. Don't look at Wikipedia.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Well the end of Logan made me cry, not get misty, not almost, straight-up crying. Granted, I'm a huge softy and the end involves a thematic element I'm an absolute sucker for, but what a superb film. The acting is top-notch and my god, what an incredible script. They didn't flinch or cop out at all, they swung for the fences and goddamned crushed it. Honestly, I'd almost rather they stopped making X-Men films for a while and start fresh.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I really enjoy that this movie is also very much not the "fun" of the MCU, but is still getting well-deserved critical praise. Turns out dark superhero films can still be good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MH Knights posted:

Got back from Logan and really liked it. Had to groan when it was revealed that the black kid had lightning/electric powers.

How did I miss that? Ahahaha. Amazing. I wonder if it was all intentional.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

MH Knights posted:

I thought his skateboarding sequence was quite tastefully done, to be honest.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MH Knights posted:

Hahaha.

Phylodox posted:

Again, maybe if you keep saying that, then against all evidence and multiple people pointing out, with explanations and examples, it will become true!

Nobody proved that GotG wasn't an upbeat space fantasy. That's what it objectively is. It's very safe, too, with non-threatening plot points and themes.

The response to Quill being a manchild who's rewarded for acting out a fantasy-life was that his fantasy-life is totally okay since he ends up connecting with people and does good things. That's dodging the issue that showing manchild fantasy as a positive is a dumb thing to do. The counter to GotG relying too much on exposition was that movies have dialogue, therefore too telling instead of showing isn't bad. Questions about how the movie depicts pain and loss are completely dodged. And when I pointed out what the central conflict of the movie is, you end up meltdowning about another goon who frustrates you.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 4, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Y'know what? I've been indulging you because I like discussing Guardians of the Galaxy, but at this point there's no actual discussion going on. Despite having your points thoroughly rebutted by several people, you just keep stomping your feet and going "Nuh-uh!!!" Nobody's going to watch the movie for you. The whole thread is tired of you and thinks you're a troll and the really sad part is that I think they're wrong, because at least a troll would have an amusing schtick. Seriously, you've got an entire thread, possibly an entire forum that dismisses you out of hand. If everyone in the room seems like an rear end in a top hat, maybe the rear end in a top hat is you.

Maybe I'm wrong and you really are just a lovely troll, in which case you even suck at that, because all you succeeded in doing was getting me to watch and enjoy a movie I love. But if you're not a troll...dude, take some time and sort your life. Either way, I'm done. You've ceased to interest me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think he's quite nice, Phylodox. I'm not tired of him.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

I think he's quite nice, Phylodox. I'm not tired of him.

Are you sure?

Phylodox posted:

Y'know what? I've been indulging you because I like discussing Guardians of the Galaxy, but at this point there's no actual discussion going on. Despite having your points thoroughly rebutted by several people, you just keep stomping your feet and going "Nuh-uh!!!" Nobody's going to watch the movie for you. The whole thread is tired of you and thinks you're a troll and the really sad part is that I think they're wrong, because at least a troll would have an amusing schtick. Seriously, you've got an entire thread, possibly an entire forum that dismisses you out of hand. If everyone in the room seems like an rear end in a top hat, maybe the rear end in a top hat is you.

Maybe I'm wrong and you really are just a lovely troll, in which case you even suck at that, because all you succeeded in doing was getting me to watch and enjoy a movie I love. But if you're not a troll...dude, take some time and sort your life. Either way, I'm done. You've ceased to interest me.

There's no need to prove that you love and enjoy GotG. It's an entertaining movie, even if I don't like it. I loved it when it came out, and watched in twice in theatres. But like other MCU movies, it's entertaining when it's new but starts falling apart in hindsight. It's kind of like The Dark Knight for me, a comic book movie that I like less and less each time I return to it.

I can't blame you for not wanting to engage with me anymore, but let me put my problems with the movie into the plainest, most honest, and least aggravating terms I can manage:

Guardians of the Galaxy is a movie that can't be taken seriously as a story of pain and loss. This is because it's difficult to take seriously in general.

It's a movie that starts tragically: a young boy is waiting as his mother is dying. He has to see her at her lowest point, devastated by cancer and rambling seemingly senselessly. When she wants to hold him one last time, he refuses, and she dies. He runs out, in absolute despar. That he's then abducted by a UFO comes off almost as a relief after such a heavy scene.

Cut to several years later, to the depths of space. A spaceship lands on the forbidding wasteland planet of Morag. A single figure with burning red eyes treks across the waste, into a long-abandoned city. He uses a hologram projector to see what it looked like when it was teeming with life, and makes his way to a ruined temple. He takes of his masks, planning his next movie The atmosphere is bleak yet reverent, with promise of danger and adventure.

Then he puts on earphones, turns on his Sony Walkman, and Come and Get Your Love by Redbone starts playing.

It's a funny and effective scene. Quill dancing across the ruins and making mockery of it all is memorable and sets the subsequent tone of the movie well. And it absolutely demolishes the movie's chances of being serious. This still needs some elaboration.

Let's consider Star Wars. Maybe comparing GotG to an undisputed genre classic is unfair, but it's a big boy and can handle it. New Hope has a simple but gripping central conflict, because the battle of the Empire and the Rebel is conveyed in very effectively through visuals and action. New Hope may open up with a scroll of exposition, but immediately sets the movie's take clear visually: the fragile and (relatively) small Rebel ship being hunted down by the colossal, overbearing, and intimidating Imperial Star Destroyer. Everything builds on that feelings of inevitability and being outmatched that that the opening scenes establish - the movie is about few, vulnerable figures maneuvering inside the Empire's domination. And it's still a silly movie with tons of comedy in it. The movie also presents us with one of the great classic genre villains. The Death Star might embody everything we find intimidating about the Empire into one big ball of technological terror, but what makes them more interesting is that they don't even need the Death Star, because they have people like Darth Vader. They're effective antagonists, which is why people complain about Ewoks beating them.

Come and Get Your Love in GotG basically does to the movie's serious themes and central conflict what Ewoks do the Empire, is what I'm saying.

GotG's central conflict is stopping the Orb superweapon from doing to the whole galaxy what it did to that slave-girl. Morag represents what might happen to the whole universe. This conflict is driven by Ronan's attempt to obtain it and then trying to use it to destroy Xandar. This conflict ends up limp for two reasons. First, because it remains impersonal and emotionally abstract: it can only be appreciated when characters are facing imminent physical danger. The Empire vs Rebels conflict is gripping for the audience because they want to escape the Empire's omnipresent menace. Ronan represents evil in the movie, but is a non-entity compared to Vader. Vader exists as an extension of the intimidating Empire, while Ronan represents a terrorist menace that we don't recognize: his terrorism is very token and without the fear and paranoia terrorism inspires. In addition, Ronan appears to be consciously performing all of his evil for show: he's introduced being dressed and made up, his blood-bathing and hammering of faces are ritualistic, and there's even a moment where he "breaks character". None of it registers as much as Vader's murderous interrogation, because violent authoritarianism is something we fear deep down.

The emotional core of GotG is the sorrow of Meredith Quill's death, but it's ultimately separate from the movie's conflict, and serves to provide occasional emotional context and the soundtrack for the sequel. It's vitally important to the story, but it's also somewhat superfluous as a plot element because it's only there to emotionally anchor the story ("plot" here meaning the basic events of the story, and the "story" being the sum of the movie's parts).

The second reason for why the central conflict is so limp is that it's resolved within the first 10 minutes so decisively that it can't be taken seriously again. You can't have characters peering into the abyss after Quill used his rocket-boots to fly over it. Defeating Ronan through a dance-off is just repeating what Come and Get Your Love does. Obviously it's the creators' privilege to tell the story they want, but GotG ends up in a halfway point between a straight sci-fi fantasy and a parody of one.

Despite this. the movie is still satisfying for those who focus on the characters and how they manage through the movie. For all the negative things I've said about GotG, it's still a decently entertaining movie. I've enjoyed it myself, even if it's also really cringeworthy and tiresome. On a critical level, it's at best lacking, but most viewers are never going to care much about that. It's ultimately a very comfortable movie. But that reminds one of MIchael Moorcock's essay "Epic Pooh"

quote:

Writers like Tolkien take you to the edge of the Abyss and point out the excellent tea-garden at the bottom, showing you the steps carved into the cliff and reminding you to be a bit careful because the hand-rails are a trifle shaky as you go down; they haven't got the approval yet to put a new one in.

If anybody got through that wall of text, congrats. I don't mind particularly being thought of as an rear end in a top hat, since it's an internet forum and some goons will still adulate my comic edits or posts about Patrick Rothfuss, for some inconceivable reason.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 4, 2017

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You're all god's children.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I was hoping for a scene recreation of uncanny 251 but I suppose that's not entirely practical for the movie.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I can't get over how good Dafne Keen was. Even in a film with talented, veteran actors giving it their all she still stood out, and I don't think that's due to X-23 being my favourite character. They have to be looking at bringing her into future X-films/giving her a solo movie a few years down the line, right? :ohdear:

Discussion of her portrayal:
Semi-seriously: if a 30-50 year old white male actor played a role that's half mute, half bilingual and featured that much screaming and pure violence they'd probably get an Oscar nomination.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Logan is a top 5 superhero movie. It had emotion and character that was severly lacking in all X titles. Not much to say other than it's about perfect for a Wolvie film. The 'documentary' shot on a hidden camera thing I dont like, but thats about it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Well I loved MoS and BvS and thought Guardians was the biggest piece of poo poo ever. You don't see me arguing about it for 5 pages. Different strokes...

What I'm trying to say is....Quit arguing, you god drat nerds!!!!!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Logan sounds like a great movie that I won't watch because it will depress me which I know is probably not a good reason to avoid watching a movie.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Logan was a very good movie but it made me very sad; I could handle a broken Logan, but not a broken Xavier. The X-Men have truly failed. That was excruciating to watch.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
The deadpool 2 teaser is online

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Throwdown posted:

The deadpool 2 teaser is online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ezsReZcxU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Schneider Heim posted:

Logan was a very good movie but it made me very sad; I could handle a broken Logan, but not a broken Xavier. The X-Men have truly failed. That was excruciating to watch.

Nah. Not with that ending. Logan and Xavier died for a new generation of mutants who are safe in Canada now. The whole movie is about redemption.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Schneider Heim posted:

Not necessarily. It might have taken a long time and too much sacrifice but the kids at the end represent hope for the future. It's like a Children of [the X-] Men ending for being mostly depressing but wrapping up with a bittersweet outlook for mankind/mutantkind. Charles helped Logan become a better man and he in turn became a father figure for one of the next generation. Those kids would not be alive if it hadn't been for a couple of X-Men and Laura in particular is better for having known them. Also, the kids seemed pretty capable already, especially Richter. Maybe the better future is one where mutants don't need the X-Men, like how ideally Gotham shouldn't need Batman.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Logan sounds like a great movie that I won't watch because it will depress me which I know is probably not a good reason to avoid watching a movie.
Which is weird because Batman Beyond is one of my favorite superhero things so I shouldn't be bummed out at the idea of watching characters I loved from earlier series ending up broken people in the near future.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

That is very different from the version that played in my theater. The version I saw did not have the Stan Lee cameo or the phone call in the phone booth. Also the Superman theme kept playing after DP got out of the phone booth instead of the 80s rock song. There seemed to be a couple of other minor differences as well.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah. Not with that ending. Logan and Xavier died for a new generation of mutants who are safe in Canada now. The whole movie is about redemption.

I was talking about the old X-Men, who are gone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Glorious.

I still need to read through that crazy summary of 'Old Man and the Sea' at the end

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MH Knights posted:

That is very different from the version that played in my theater. The version I saw did not have the Stan Lee cameo or the phone call in the phone booth. Also the Superman theme kept playing after DP got out of the phone booth instead of the 80s rock song. There seemed to be a couple of other minor differences as well.

There were two versions. Different chains got different versions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

I was talking about the old X-Men, who are gone.

That won't last though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

So many little bits and pieces to that
"Nathan Summers Cumming Soon" graffiti on the phone booth
Logan posters and playing at the theater
Firefly posters for some reason. Did I miss a Fillion casting notice somewhere?
And "Alley Cats" graffiti on the trashcan at the end, but that's probably nothing.

I would not be surprised if the mugging conversation had a line with something like
"Let's see that wallet!...Ben Parker huh?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CzarChasm posted:

So many little bits and pieces to that
"Nathan Summers Cumming Soon" graffiti on the phone booth
Logan posters and playing at the theater
And "Alley Cats" graffiti on the trashcan at the end, but that's probably nothing.

I would not be surprised if the mugging conversation had a line with something like
"Let's see that wallet!...Ben Parker huh?"

Firefly is being folded into the X-Men universe. River is joining the team.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CzarChasm posted:

Not that I know of, but you forgot about Morena Baccarin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

That won't last though.
Honestly with all the timeline fuckery I would be okay with the X-men franchise just being stand alone movies and saying "Oh well in this timeline this happened"

• Locked thread