Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
it's me, i'm the guy leaking sensitive government information to the press committing actual serious felonies so i can cheer those sick burns on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mnoba posted:

it's me, i'm the guy leaking sensitive government information to the press committing actual serious felonies so i can cheer those sick burns on twitter

Greetings, which of the 17 intelligence agencies do you work for?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

really queer Christmas posted:

Greetings, which of the 17 intelligence agencies do you work for?

That we have 17 different intelligence agencies is the most shocking part of the trump-Russia conspiracies to me. why on earth do we have 17?

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

SickZip posted:

That we have 17 different intelligence agencies is the most shocking part of the trump-Russia conspiracies to me. why on earth do we have 17?

One for each tentacle.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the material isn't classified, it isn't criminal to leak it.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

They forgot 12.5: the totally innocent "target" is fired, resigns, or otherwise runs away

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Knight posted:

Really, it's not like everyone suddenly got afraid of Russia and think they're going to steal their children and eat them all of a sudden. Everyone has about the same unfavorable opinion about Russia as they did over the last 5 years...except for Republicans, who are suddenly more favorable towards Putin than they've ever been.

I can speculate on the reasons why, but ultimately this makes a lot of people suspicious. It makes people more suspicious when they start trying to influence our election in favor of a candidate who can't stop praising Putin, denying that he or his campaign has any dealings with Russia, and then having people in his campaign resign after their connections are discovered. This is a concern over the Trump administration in their honesty and openness about dealing with Russia more than Russia itself.

lmao what the hell are you talking about? republicans that go on yougov to do polls are apparently also in on the russian conspiracy? do you reckon everybody who identifies as a republican becomes instantly aware of their role to serve the russian motherland lmfao?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the new wild theory itt is that maybe around half of america sold out to the russians lol

evidence includes renown, extremely reliable online polls, that work super good as demonstrated by the recent elections, as well as trump firing some people because cnn said they were traitors

e: also this seems like the appropriate thread

Bulgogi Hoagie fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 4, 2017

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
daang dude calm down, its an opinion poll. i know that spunkys left a big, gaping, void in the thread and maybe youre all about gaping voids but you really dont need to dive in right away to fill it. theres enough crazy floating around hellthread already, trust me

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
this is the real reason why spunky screams about bathrooms imo

https://twitter.com/vice/status/837826178589274112

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

[what]
i cant believe that medical science has supplied a reversible hormone treatment program. probably the most outrageous article yet. thanks for sharing friend.

almost as outrageous as that opinion poll that asked republicans whether they were in on the russian conspiracy. that was a pretty weird poll that definitely existed and was a thing that we all talked about. its a pretty crazy world, huh.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
there is nothing wrong about pumping literal eight year old children full of blockers that will stop their normal development with almost no data on long term effects based on the current hipster social paradigm in gender studies

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

there is nothing wrong about pumping literal eight year old children full of blockers that will stop their normal development with almost no data on long term effects based on the current hipster social paradigm in gender studies
believing yourself to be above medical science and the DSM is cool and all, but what im more interested in is hearing your opinion on that poll that phoned up voters in 2015 and asked them "do you believe that your future president donald trump is a russian puppet? press 1 for yes and 2 for no"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

https://twitter.com/vice/status/837826178589274112

wouldnt that gently caress a bunch of poo poo up body/mind/brain wise? like the whole thing to my knowledge is its kinda of one way street once you go down the transitional road?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Kjoery posted:

believing yourself to be above medical science and the DSM is cool and all, but what im more interested in is hearing your opinion on that poll that phoned up voters in 2015 and asked them "do you believe that your future president donald trump is a russian puppet? press 1 for yes and 2 for no"

there is absolutely no debate in medical science about whether this is justified or not. it doesn't exist at all. everybody is joyfully accepting that prepubescent children that might say the non-gender normative stuff sometimes need to get pumped full of hormone blockers

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

...somehow I severely doubt that it's actually reversible in the way the tweet is implying.

I mean there are critical developmental periods. You don't get to block hormones during one and then remove the block without something not going quite the way it should. Just like using hormone injections to try and force puberty doesn't quite work past a certain age.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Tallgeese posted:

...somehow I severely doubt that it's actually reversible in the way the tweet is implying.

I mean there are critical developmental periods. You don't get to block one and then remove the block without something not going quite the way it should. Just like using hormone injections to try and force puberty doesn't quite work past a certain age.

most children who get treated with the blocker don't continue to have dysphoria either, so it just ends up delaying puberty for no reason really

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18981931/

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I assume that "don't" is extraneous, and honestly I'm not surprised in any way.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

The president has had all of his wive's enhanced

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

most children who get treated with the blocker don't continue to have dysphoria either, so it just ends up delaying puberty for no reason really

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18981931/

thats depressing. i remember watching a doc on trans kids and only half(if that) seemed to have dysphoria, the rest were either sorta forced by the Woke parents or because the kid was going through a phase. i am not against transgender stuff. i just feel like their isnt enough real research on it that doesn't either come from the WOKE left or the hard right. that being said if someone wants to transition and its their descion then its cool. but doing it with super young kids feels skeevy.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
drumpf: "two can play this game"

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/837770149767827456

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

there is absolutely no debate in medical science about whether this is justified or not. it doesn't exist at all. everybody is joyfully accepting that prepubescent children that might say the non-gender normative stuff sometimes need to get pumped full of hormone blockers
sure, and im also sure a tweet by a garbage magazine that got 96 likes is certainly not going to affect it in any way. also, in the mean time, doctors are a thing that can maybe give advice to parents and kids considering transition? perhaps we, as random-rear end civilians with no real specialization in the field are not exactly the ideal policy makers for this sort of thing!

but going back to how you seem to completely misunderstand what an opinion poll is, maybe you could post another cool meme about it? i absolutely love image macros, they are hilarious and good

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
LOL Trump is such a huge baby.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

new phone who dis posted:

LOL Trump is such a huge baby.

And yet, America is a nation of babies, so...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah, trump is a moron who projects everything.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kjoery posted:

sure, and im also sure a tweet by a garbage magazine that got 96 likes is certainly not going to affect it in any way. also, in the mean time, doctors are a thing that can maybe give advice to parents and kids considering transition? perhaps we, as random-rear end civilians with no real specialization in the field are not exactly the ideal policy makers for this sort of thing!

but going back to how you seem to completely misunderstand what an opinion poll is, maybe you could post another cool meme about it? i absolutely love image macros, they are hilarious and good

I know people like to worship the cult of the expert but let's try and remember that there are still people alive today who were lobotomized under advice from physicians given to parents about their kid. If an adult or even a teen wants to transition that's fine, but there is a WHOLE LOT of gray area involved in taking a toddler's word on drastic life-altering procedures.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

I know people like to worship the cult of the expert but let's try and remember that there are still people alive today who were lobotomized under advice from physicians given to parents about their kid. If an adult or even a teen wants to transition that's fine, but there is a WHOLE LOT of gray area involved in taking a toddler's word on drastic life-altering procedures.
i hear vaccines cause autism. all the experts say otherwise, but remember that there are still people alive today who were lobotomized under advice from physicians given to parents about their kid

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Kjoery posted:

yes there are quite a few doctors against such radical treatment for children, indeed

you seem pretty mad and obsessed about me enjoying the ridiculous suggestion that republicans liking putin is somehow related to trumpsters current cabinet troubles, try taking a break

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Kjoery posted:

i hear vaccines cause autism. all the experts say otherwise, but remember that there are still people alive today who were lobotomized under advice from physicians given to parents about their kid

perhaps we aren't qualified enough to judge whether vaccines do indeed cause autism or not! maybe we should leave these questions to the doctors exclusively, tough luck to you if your local area doctor happens to be andrew wakefield or a follower of his though

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kjoery posted:

i hear vaxinnes cause autism. all the experts say otherwise, but remember that there are still people alive today who were lobotomized under advice from physicians given to parents about their kid

The issue of trans kids that young is just as polluted with pseudo-science and activism as the vaccine issue on both sides. The science isn't nearly as clear as you would make it out to be. There's a shitload of money to be made in SRS and hormone therapy for children. The scientific debate is far from over, and the majority of people attempting to suppress studies and research these days come from the left.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Guys I don't think Trump is hosed. This is very unsettling.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kjoery posted:

Here's a good article to read if you actually care beyone forums flame wars.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/02/fight-over-trans-kids-got-a-researcher-fired.html

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

The issue of trans kids that young is just as polluted with pseudo-science and activism as the vaccine issue on both sides. The science isn't nearly as clear as you would make it out to be. There's a shitload of money to be made in SRS and hormone therapy for children. The scientific debate is far from over, and the majority of people attempting to suppress studies and research these days come from the left.
im not saying the issue isnt clear, im saying that to discard expert knowledge because its a political issue is dumb and bad. its a complex issue that deals with many factors that you and i dont fully comprehend. climate change comes to mind, in terms of people discarding science for politics, though that issue is far more cut-and-dry scientifically.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

you seem pretty mad
now thats a good meme

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Kjoery posted:

im not saying the issue isnt clear, im saying that to discard expert knowledge because its a political issue is dumb and bad. its a complex issue that deals with many factors that you and i dont fully comprehend. climate change comes to mind, in terms of people discarding science for politics, though that issue is far more cut-and-dry scientifically.

just because you're dumb doesn't mean you need to project onto everybody else my man

boy this sure is a change compared to you literally saying i'm denying medical science if i say there is no clear consensus in the field though

e: not to mention of course that nobody fully comprehends exactly how reproduction functions especially wrt your headcase

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

literally saying i'm denying medical science if i say there is no clear consensus in the field though
hmm yes i "literally" said that, yes

Here's a good article to read if you actually care beyone forums flame wars.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/02/fight-over-trans-kids-got-a-researcher-fired.html
yea, i remember when that happened. poo poo sucks. that article is not, however, not quite comparable to the lovely 96-like VICE magazine tweet linked talking about reversible medical treatments (although maybe vice was wrong about the reversibility, so that could be hilarious, as itd negate the entire reason for the article).

crime weed fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 4, 2017

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
meanwhile at the intercept

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/28/trump-suggests-anti-semitic-acts-might-faked-make-movement-look-bad/

e: also that vice tweet is just promotional material for their transgender documentary fyi

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kjoery posted:

yea, i remember when that happened. poo poo sucks. that article is not, however, not quite comparable to the lovely 96-like VICE magazine tweet linked talking about reversible medical treatments (although maybe vice was wrong about the reversibility, so that could be hilarious, as itd negate the entire reason for the article).

Eh, we're probably pretty close on this issue, then.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Eh, we're probably pretty close on this issue, then.
yea, id personally be extremely cautious about treating my kid (that will never exist) with hormones unless a doctor specifically advised me to do so. also, id never advise or pressure a parent to do so either, but thats mainly because im not a medical professional. thats kinda their job.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Kjoery posted:

as i said the tweet is just promotional material for their transgender docudrama thing, and vice as you may know produces docudramas about things that usually shock people, and that tweet was deffo intended to shock you. but instead you decided to pick a side and launch a knee jerk defence of that side in a topic you yourself admit you know almost nothing about lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kjoery posted:

yea, id personally be extremely cautious about treating my kid (that will never exist) with hormones unless a doctor specifically advised me to do so. also, id never advise or pressure a parent to do so either, but thats mainly because im not a medical professional. thats kinda their job.

Even if a medical professional advised me to do it I would definitely be looking for more opinions considering the politicizing of the issue and relative new state of the science. The younger the kid is, the more vigilant and exploratory I would be for other opinions.

• Locked thread