Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

brucio posted:

Jesse Brown let him spew his poo poo unchecked on Canadaland last week.

Edit: lol

I got so pissed off listening to that before bed. One of his final comments was expressing how frustrated he was that people couldn't bring up "the muslim issue" without being branded a racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Also this should tell you what you need to know about Peter Munk's vanity project generous donation to higher education:

quote:

A similar feature exists in the University of Toronto’s joint partnership with a foundation representing Peter Munk, chairman and founder of Barrick Gold Corp., the largest gold-mining company in the world. The Munk School of Global Affairs was established in 2009 with a $35-million donation from the mining magnate. According to the 12-page agreement, Mr. Munk’s donations will be paid in tranches over 10 years and will be subject to the Munk family’s approval.

In return for the $35-million, the university must create a school in the “top tier of the world’s leading schools of international studies,” at a heritage building that permits only senior faculty and visitors to enter through its front doors. The university has committed to providing the Munk Foundation a detailed written progress report annually, including all relevant financial information. The school’s director, selected by the university, will be required to report to a board appointed by Mr. Munk to “discuss the programs, activities and initiatives of the school in greater detail.” The Munk Foundation’s donation to the university is a no-strings endowment that allows the donor to walk from making an additional gift after a blue-ribbon panel of academics has reviewed the progress of the school. Mr. Munk and his foundation have the ability to halt future donations should they agree or disagree with the peer review.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
U definitely mad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Helsing posted:

Also this should tell you what you need to know about Peter Munk's vanity project generous donation to higher education:

The entire campus is completely fenced and gated.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

One of those innumerable lefty campus groups put up a bunch of posters criticizing Munk and Barrick Gold and the University actually made some poor overworked janitor walking around tearing all the signs down because they thought Munk might sue them for defamation. Which is probably the biggest impact that a campus postering campaign has had in a couple decades.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Helsing posted:

I think at this point we all enjoy your demented take on things too much to be terribly offended by anything you say. Your distinctive mixture of self hatred and parochialism is what makes you such a quintessential Canadian, and therefore the perfect mascot for this thread.

Simmer down.

Also:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/judge-lenehan-sexual-assault-calls-for-removal-1.4008810

quote:

Groups across Nova Scotia call for 'drunks can consent' judge to be removed
'Judge Lenehan has demonstrated he is incapable of fairly applying the law in cases of sexual assault'
CBC News Posted: Mar 03, 2017 3:09 PM AT Last Updated: Mar 03, 2017 3:48 PM AT

A dozen sexual-assault centres, centres for women, and therapists are calling on Nova Scotia's chief judge to recommend removing Judge Gregory Lenehan from the provincial bench over comments he made in acquitting a taxi driver of sexual assault this week.

Lenehan said a police officer was right to arrest Bassam Al-Rawi when she found him in his taxi with an unconscious woman whose clothing he had removed. But the judge believed that "clearly a drunk can consent" and that the Crown provided no evidence she had not consented, so he let Al-Rawi go free.

"Lenehan's judgment in this case demonstrates a clear disregard for and lack of understanding of sexual assault and definitions of consent as defined in the Criminal Code. Judge Lenehan has demonstrated he is incapable of fairly applying the law in cases of sexual assault and, therefore, must be removed from the bench," the group wrote in an open letter to media outlets.

They should just close their legs.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So this guy is going to be judge #2?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

The entire campus is completely fenced and gated.

That being said, you can totally just walk in if you want. The Munk School is also a place where grad students have offices, students visit their profs, classes happen, etc.

Since we're coming up on the 10-year anniversary of Munk slapping his name on a building, I think this survey was actually related to the fact that he really wants the Munk School to be in the "top tier" of global affairs schools. Like half the questions were about how I would rank the Munk School compared to actual important global affairs schools like the Kennedy School at Harvard and the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

vyelkin posted:

That being said, you can totally just walk in if you want. The Munk School is also a place where grad students have offices, students visit their profs, classes happen, etc.

Since we're coming up on the 10-year anniversary of Munk slapping his name on a building, I think this survey was actually related to the fact that he really wants the Munk School to be in the "top tier" of global affairs schools. Like half the questions were about how I would rank the Munk School compared to actual important global affairs schools like the Kennedy School at Harvard and the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton.

That's the fun thing about polls. They're almost always designed so that the raw data of your answers can be shaped or interpreted to fit whatever message the pollster (or person who hired the pollster) is attempting to convey.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

I would rank it as "only slightly less prestigious than the clogged toilet overflowing with poo poo at the Kennedy School."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

I would rank it as "only slightly less prestigious than the clogged toilet overflowing with poo poo at the Kennedy School."

This is more or less how I answered. I have a lot of experience with the Munk School and I thought it was pretty outrageous that they were placing themselves in that category.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

That being said, you can totally just walk in if you want.

Well yeah, they do public policy talks with guest speakers there all the time. But they certainly do want it to appear to be exclusive.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I mean, we are describing a school that was created on the explicit condition that it be located in a heritage building where students would be forbidden from using the front entrance.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.1800bfb32eec

drat you guys. Canada made it into American news! Hurrah o Canada!

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Helsing posted:

I mean, we are describing a school that was created on the explicit condition that it be located in a heritage building where students would be forbidden from using the front entrance.

One truly wonders as to the point of such a policy.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/PC_Alberta/status/837839001910312960

Screenshot for posterity.

Fuckin incredible.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

I wonder what it is like to be brain-dead and then there is that tweet.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Would anyone care if everyone in Alberta was exterminated

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I don't know the books/films, but from my limited awareness of those stories, they may not have entirely considered the symbolism there.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

For those of us who don't give a poo poo about mainstream media and therefore have no idea what this is supposed to mean...?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jan posted:

For those of us who don't give a poo poo about mainstream media and therefore have no idea what this is supposed to mean...?

that picture is from the hunger games, where a teenage girl volunteers to enter a fight to the death against other teenagers to take the place of her sister who would otherwise be forced into said fight to the death.

It's cheerful young adult media.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jan posted:

The person is volunteering to fight to the death in a spectacle created by corrupt authoritarian elites to distract the masses from how poo poo they are.

In this case, it's the PCA asking you to volunteer, placing them in the position of...

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 4, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

This would be like CPC using clips from the Starship Troopers propaganda films to entice people to consider their platform

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I work for a company that does business with the government and we did a big conference type thing this afternoon that included a simulation of question period. You had to come up with positions to various scenarios, based roughly on a libs vs cons model. I was conservative.

Jobs hard working Canadians. Jobs. Roll up our sleeves and get to work. The time for talk is over. Jobs. When my family had tough times that just made us work even harder. Hard working Jobs Canadians. Jobs. The opposition just wants to sit around and talk but we know what hard working Canadians want is to have their tax dollars go to politicians who will work just as hard as they do. Jobs.

Being a conservative demagogue seems like it would be pretty easy if you could handle the lack of self respect.

e: I guess the reason people like Leitch are terrible speakers is because they really believe this poo poo.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 4, 2017

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Wanting to ditch reputation as NATO’s cheap date, Liberals looking at ballistic missile defence: sources

REAL CHANGE

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I fully expect before I die that the US achieves cultural victory and assimilates Canada

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Powershift posted:

that picture is from the hunger games, where a teenage girl volunteers to enter a fight to the death against other teenagers to take the place of her sister who would otherwise be forced into said fight to the death.

It's cheerful young adult media.

Said protagonist was also shrouded in a gleaming head to toe plot armour that protected her not only from physical harm but also any moral quandary that made her very poo poo radiate a cloud of vapor that could remove the stink from any surface and leave it smelling lemon fresh.

So yeah I think they nailed this one.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Risky Bisquick posted:

I fully expect before I die that the US achieves cultural victory and assimilates Canada

It already happened dude

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Risky Bisquick posted:

So this guy is going to be judge #2?

Moreso, the victim in this case was found by police unconscious while being raped having previously urinated in her pants, which were found in the taxi drivers hands.

So yeah lets take this judges point of view, a .244 alcohol blood level woman who had pissed their pants could have consented knowingly before passing into unconsciousness. It cant be ruled out therefore reasonable doubt!

(This is not reasonable doubt.)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

It already happened dude

They could roll in and no one would notice/care

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Canadian "culture" is totally unique u guys

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:colbert:We elected a drama teacher, not a reality TV star:colbert:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Is Leitch the pale imitation of Carson (Yes I stole this joke from the beaverton. gently caress you)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Leitch is a pale imitation of the aliens from mars attacks

Has anyone dubbed the ack ack ack stuff over her creepy "i'm totally a human" video?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is Leitch the pale imitation of Carson (Yes I stole this joke from the beaverton. gently caress you)

Johnny Carson?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
But Nick kouvalis is a genius you guys

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, he might have over estimated the tolerance we have for alt-right dog whistling up here. But that's just going to keep him out of the public eye for a few months.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So when someone else wins, how likely is trost running off to form his own party with Jesus and hating the gays?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Prime Minister Trudeau, after YET ANOTHER loving round-table with first responders and healthcare providers in Vancouver, has called on Canadians to do more to confront the problems of drug abuse :psyboom:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hmmm

Nah I ain't doing poo poo