Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Tony is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYBSJftKGtw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The weight cut and Tony conspired so they could both duck Khabib.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I thought GSP was a lot more charismatic at the press conference today. It was nice to see. Also, Bisping was really drunk wow.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 4, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bubba Smith posted:

I believe UFC has compensated a few fighters like that before, but then the title fights went on as planned, so UFC probably felt like it wasn't worth it to keep doing it.

and that was Fertitta era UFC. The current owners are trying to cut costs anywhere they can, so it's definitely not gonna happen anymore

Yeah it doesn't actually happen so terribly often that the new owners would see it as anything other than paying money for probably nothing.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

It probably makes fiscal sense to have prepared and paid backups for your big matches like your GSPs or Conor McGregor's where they're making like a 3 million dollar purse to show.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

i wouldn't do that unless i was compensated and fighters now have to pay for fightpass

Right but my original question was:

JaySB posted:

At one point does it become economically viable to have a backup fighter for PPV headlining bouts and or title fights? At what point is it worth it for the fighter to go through a camp to potentially fight two different fighters and say, get their show money if they don't fight?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

It probably makes fiscal sense to have prepared and paid backups for your big matches like your GSPs or Conor McGregor's where they're making like a 3 million dollar purse to show.

Or almost any big title fight where you stand to lose hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I think more effort would have been made to salvage the interim LW fight if it was headlining the card, like Joe Soto getting a title shot.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

The weirdest thing was Bisping was not only drunk but also really bloated was kind of surprised by that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dana's claiming that if Khabib's team had called the UFC before going to the hospital, he probably still could have fought, and Islam Machkaev is saying Khabib's okay now.

lol.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think more effort would have been made to salvage the interim LW fight if it was headlining the card, like Joe Soto getting a title shot.

the joe soto thing was during that year where like 3 cards made it out in tact. they were used to it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dan Didio posted:

Dana's claiming that if Khabib's team had called the UFC before going to the hospital, he probably still could have fought, and Islam Machkaev is saying Khabib's okay now.

lol.

lol

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is the Khabib/Tony fight officially canceled? I was probably most excited for that fight than any other. Still a good card but this was a potentially great fight.

Also good luck to Khabib getting fights after this, people were already ducking him but now they have even more reason with all the fights he has had canceled or rescheduled due to injury.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dan Didio posted:

lol.

sigh

Ulio posted:

Is the Khabib/Tony fight officially canceled?

Yes

Ulio posted:

Also good luck to Khabib getting fights after this, people were already ducking him but now they have even more reason with all the fights he has had canceled or rescheduled due to injury.

Conor's going to be loving insufferable when he inevitably speaks about this.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dan Didio posted:

lol.

..so khabib ducked, then?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ulio posted:

Is the Khabib/Tony fight officially canceled? I was probably most excited for that fight than any other. Still a good card but this was a potentially great fight.

How do you duck some who never fights?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Khabib is a coward.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Khabib is a coward.

making up a medical emergency to go the hospital, not telling your boss about it, and then being perfectly fine not 24 hours later is like the oldest play in the "how to get out of work" book. what a coward.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Trast posted:

Look man, if you're scared to fight someone you're scared to fight someone, ok? Doesn't matter if they could fight or not, cuz they can't get a fight until you agree to fight them anyway. By fighting Eddie Alvarez, Conor was clearly ducking Khabib, the Incredible Hulk and Vegeta, and you can't tell me or Mr Nice otherwise

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dana's just throwing Khabib under the bus the way Dana does, and Islam Mackhaev probably isn't a doctor, as far as I know.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I was gonna say, I'm certain that the doctor didn't clear Khabib to fight so I don't think it matter what uncle Dana says

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Guida v Khabib in a battle of cowardice

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's like when people blame the UFC for bad decisions.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just now watching this press conference and holy loving :lol: Bisping is drunk as loving poo poo

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Being drunk is the second best base for MMA, behind doing a lot of steroids.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

lol.

Dana said

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
[in khabib voice] theese fight isa NOT happening-a

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
God loving Damnit :(

red19fire
May 26, 2010

JaySB posted:

At one point does it become economically viable to have a backup fighter for PPV headlining bouts and or title fights? At what point is it worth it for the fighter to go through a camp to potentially fight two different fighters and say, get their show money if they don't fight?

I would be interested to see what would happen if fighters started turning down fights where the opponent missed weight and taking the show money instead. But I'm almost certain the answer is 'get cut from the UFC'.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
My resolve to fight, she-a like wizard's sieve

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Trast posted:

Soon Khabib will call out Jon Jones then promptly get injured and call Jon Jones a coward for not fighting him.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

The only thing to do now is make Evans v Kelly for the interim Middleweight belt

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Evans vs Kelly is 2017's version of Werdum vs Russow.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CommonShore posted:

Evans vs Kelly is 2017's version of Werdum vs Russow.

Okay lets hear this one

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dana White said that Khabib's team probably could have saved the fight, but they hosed up.

quote:

“Basically, his team had decided to take him to just some random hospital here in Las Vegas instead of picking up the phone and calling our doctor and calling Brianna [Mattison], who runs all the medicals,” White said. “They went rogue and went out and did their own thing. Had they done this thing the right way, the fight probably could have been saved.”

Reading between the lines, I assume the doctors at the hospital saw a dehydrated patient, gave him IV's, and when he was trying to get out to weigh in, the doctors who know nothing about fighters told the UFC he can't fight. At that point, its a liability issue and they had to pull him.

The UFC doctors, who have experience with fighters cutting weight, probably would have monitored him closely and got him to the scale.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 4, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Rigel posted:

Dana White said that Khabib's team probably could have saved the fight, but they hosed up.

that is really such a loving shame

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bundt Cake posted:

Okay lets hear this one

Dad bod fighter on a streak taking a gigantic leap up in quality of opposition.

Also gently caress you.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Triticum Guzzler posted:

[mike goldberg voice] KHABIB NURMAGOMEDOV REMAINS UNDEFEATED!!!

lmfao

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Has it come out exactly what Khabib was in the hospital for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

Has it come out exactly what Khabib was in the hospital for?

the vapours

• Locked thread