Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't like or dislike it because I haven't played it, it just seems kind of weird to me because I mentally categorise grand strategy and RTS as being entirely different and I don't expect people who enjoy one to enjoy the other. I would be equally surprised if it was a WW2-themed FPS or RPG (p.s. a WW2 RPG actually sounds kind of baller)

I guess Paradox publish all kinds of games now v:)v

Paradox has been publishing all kinds of games for many years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't like or dislike it because I haven't played it, it just seems kind of weird to me because I mentally categorise grand strategy and RTS as being entirely different and I don't expect people who enjoy one to enjoy the other. I would be equally surprised if it was a WW2-themed FPS or RPG (p.s. a WW2 RPG actually sounds kind of baller)

Is that how a lot of people are though? If there’s a certian topic I'm a fan of (ie. WW2, space, post-apocalypse, etc.) then I'll usually play games related to it across multiple genres. There's some genres I prefer over others and some I'm just not interested in but I've never found it weird to like grand strategy, 4X or RTS games at the same time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Paradox has been publishing all kinds of games for many years now.

Well yeah that's what I was getting at. I just don't think of them as 'Paradox games' - they're just games that they happen to publish.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Is that how a lot of people are though? If there’s a certian topic I'm a fan of (ie. WW2, space, post-apocalypse, etc.) then I'll usually play games related to it across multiple genres. There's some genres I prefer over others and some I'm just not interested in but I've never found it weird to like grand strategy, 4X or RTS games at the same time.

I'm probably a weird outlier, the main factor which determines if I will like a game or not is entirely based on the mechanics, I have zero tolerance for games which are otherwise perfect for me but are lacking in some key area (Skyrim is a great example of this, a potentially great game ruined by having the world's least inspiring combat system)

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

RabidWeasel posted:

Well yeah that's what I was getting at. I just don't think of them as 'Paradox games' - they're just games that they happen to publish.
That's pretty much exactly what they are. So publishing a WW2 RTS isn't really that big a deal.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Eugen games are generally well-received. For all we might complain about unbalanced mechanics or unit bloat in the Wargame series, their heart is in the right place and they are one of the few developers making modern RTS games and getting it right most of the time.

Let's not speak of Act of Aggression, which was not a bad game, just a decade late for its time.

The problem is that over the course of the three games it became clear that they definitely never understood why people liked Wargame, and their heart was always in abandoning that surprisingly popular game to go make Act of Aggression. That having bombed, they went back to producing DLC for Red Dragon and looking for a new publisher (now found).

The talent is definitely there, what they need is a bit of that Paradox style bond with the fans where they listen very carefully to what the customers actually want.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
After looking into some of the details further I realized that I've mistaken Act of War for Act of Agression, whoops... :sweatdrop:

Still, it wasn't a bad game they just completely misread the market and as far as I can tell put no effort into making people aware it existed.

As far as listenimg to what fans have to say, the actual PDS team (some of them, anyway) make an effort in reading or soliciting feedback or at the very least amking their presence known but that doesn't necessarily extend to other devs they publish for. Don't have to look far to see how even popular games like Cities: Skylines have almost become a ship adrift with the studio seemingly unable to provide what the community is asking for and are now just trying whatever works for them.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alchenar posted:

The problem is that over the course of the three games it became clear that they definitely never understood why people liked Wargame, and their heart was always in abandoning that surprisingly popular game to go make Act of Aggression. That having bombed, they went back to producing DLC for Red Dragon and looking for a new publisher (now found).

The talent is definitely there, what they need is a bit of that Paradox style bond with the fans where they listen very carefully to what the customers actually want.

The problem with Wargame players is they want 30 different versions of the Hind helicopter to be represented in game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

V for Vegas posted:

The problem with Wargame players is they want 30 different versions of the Hind helicopter to be represented in game.

In what way is that a problem?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

It bloats the game without adding meaningful choices

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Mister Adequate posted:

had a quick look on wiki and there's over 40 variants so the problem is that they aren't asking for enough

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

If Eugen gets big and successful enough maybe one day they will make the WH40k Epic-scale game that I dream of. I want Wargame with cathedral titans.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So I'm not the only TW player who plays it like a shittier P'dox game and just autoresolves every battle?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So I'm not the only TW player who plays it like a shittier P'dox game and just autoresolves every battle?
I think the last time I didn't just do that half the time was in the original Rome:TW, where I could just use armored war elephants against errybody.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I do this 90% of the time because somehow CA never figured out how to make loading times in the new generation of games not suck.

I did the fights a whole lot back in original Rome and Medieval.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I also autoresolve everything i can. Not because tactical battles aren't theoretically fun in principle but because the total war battle ai is so tedious to play against

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Total war is the embodiment of wasted potential.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Total War is still great. I definitely don't value the campaign maps in it as much as I used to before I got into Paradox games, but they still fill different niches and that's never gonna change.

Civilization on the other hand is basically dead to me now.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Don't have to look far to see how even popular games like Cities: Skylines have almost become a ship adrift with the studio seemingly unable to provide what the community is asking for and are now just trying whatever works for them.

Can you explain this a bit? I dont follow the Skylines thread so I have no idea whats happening with them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Communist Zombie posted:

Can you explain this a bit? I dont follow the Skylines thread so I have no idea whats happening with them.
DLC development was treading water for like a year content to follow an internal plan that was the most milquetoast feature additions ever. They've gotten slightly better but their attempt to address one of the most popular feature requests (disasters and scenarios) felt a lot like checking a box rather than anything transformational like a PDS DLC and ditto to their most recent DLC announcement.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Total war is the embodiment of wasted potential.
I've heard good things about Warhammer and in a few days I'll find out I guess

though I heard incredibly poo poo things about Rome 2 so who knows

Koramei posted:

Total War is still great. I definitely don't value the campaign maps in it as much as I used to before I got into Paradox games, but they still fill different niches and that's never gonna change.

It´s pretty loving damning when I can't think of a Civilization game better than Alpha Centauri

How loving old is that game now? Old enough to have they own kids or something?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Jabor posted:

I do this 90% of the time because somehow CA never figured out how to make loading times in the new generation of games not suck.

Battles take like 7 seconds to load in total wars warhammer on a ssd

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jabor posted:

Like Vanilla (Mint) Ice said, a SSD will make turn times really fast. It is the best upgrade you can give your computer in general, it will even make Paradox games faster!

Also the battle AI has reached "pretty decent" since Attila, and the Warhammer one is pretty vicious in its use of cavalry/monsters/flyers. Attila probably has the best campaign mechanics in the series due to the food shortages, with weather and constant pressure from the Huns. You can learn to game it quickly (like every mechanic in a strategy game), but for the first few games it provides an unique survival pressure.

I don't see it as contradictory to like both Paradox map-games and Total Wars, and I think it's pretty dumb to see them as rival franchises, though Paradox is at fault for that, given they made that ad poking fun at Shogun when they released Sengoku, or when Johan made fun of Total War AI just before releasing HOI 3. Thankfully Paradox has grown more professional since and stopped jinxing their own products. They are games that do different things. Paradox campaigns are just chill strategy games, while Total War campaigns are mostly there to provide context for rad battles, the only thing they really do have in common are period or fantastical trappings (for Stellaris and Total Hammer) for the player's fiction and the existence of a map as central UI element. If you don't find maps and numbers rising enjoyable, the former won't do much for you, and if you don't like the battles, then there isn't much of a point in playing the latter.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

zedprime posted:

DLC development was treading water for like a year content to follow an internal plan that was the most milquetoast feature additions ever. They've gotten slightly better but their attempt to address one of the most popular feature requests (disasters and scenarios) felt a lot like checking a box rather than anything transformational like a PDS DLC and ditto to their most recent DLC announcement.

Yeah, it's a little sad, I enjoyed Skylines for about ~30 hours at launch and think it was worth the money and a nice little game... but I don't have any real desire to pick it up again or get the DLC. A Skylines 2 needs to build on the society and people living in your city more. The traffic sim was a great foundation to a city builder, but I feel like it needs more.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
We need a robust level editor for this new game, so that our intrepid mega LPers can reenact the biggest battles of the HoI4 phase.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I've heard good things about Warhammer and in a few days I'll find out I guess

Warhammer's pretty great, and it has quite a few free DLC factions, complete with their own mechanics, which is pretty neat of them.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, it's a little sad, I enjoyed Skylines for about ~30 hours at launch and think it was worth the money and a nice little game... but I don't have any real desire to pick it up again or get the DLC. A Skylines 2 needs to build on the society and people living in your city more. The traffic sim was a great foundation to a city builder, but I feel like it needs more.

Personally I felt it needed less.

Specifically, less hearses stuck in traffic and driving to the graveyards/crematories on the other side of town instead of the ones in the next block over. And by extension, less people rotting in their homes because of said hearses.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I think the last time I didn't just do that half the time was in the original Rome:TW, where I could just use armored war elephants against errybody.

lol scrub using armored war elephants. All you need is one fully upgraded Spartan Hoplite to rout the entire enemy army. (not a whole regiment, just one dude)

Groogy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 3, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I liked Skylines for a few hours, and then I remembered how much more stuff Simcity 4, a 13 year old game, has in comparison even if the presentation is somewhat less polished.

Nobody really seems interested in taking city sims beyond what's already been achieved.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

AG3 posted:

Personally I felt it needed less.

Specifically, less hearses stuck in traffic and driving to the graveyards/crematories on the other side of town instead of the ones in the next block over. And by extension, less people rotting in their homes because of said hearses.
Mass die offs were like the only thing really testing how well your roads worked. But that also encapsulates everything wrong with the direction Skylines DLC took because 2 years later and the end boss is still just making sure your hearses work. When someone says they want more civics out of Skylines, it isn't a request for more agent based functions to clog the street with, they actually provided that with the snow plow dlc and its exactly as exciting as it sounds. Skylines desperately needs some actual civics that influence education and wealth and the nature of employment.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
On the flipside, however, Skylines also... really isn't that kind of game. It really is a game about roads and agents and a city builder based around that, you aren't really mayoring anything.

The same is true of all city builders, really. Unlike, say, Sim City (all of them) the road system are actually compelling enough. Though wasn't there one that came out recently where you had to secure funding to do things and etc etc?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

On the flipside, however, Skylines also... really isn't that kind of game. It really is a game about roads and agents and a city builder based around that, you aren't really mayoring anything.

The same is true of all city builders, really. Unlike, say, Sim City (all of them) the road system are actually compelling enough. Though wasn't there one that came out recently where you had to secure funding to do things and etc etc?

Urban Empire's the one you're thinking of, I think. I had fun with it for a few hours but haven't been back to it since just because there are so many games and my backlog is awful. Those few hours were good though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gamerofthegame posted:

Sim City 4 has poverty spirals and hurdles to jump for high tech and regions that let you flavor your cities slightly different ways. I used to fault it for that but the absence shows the grass is not much greener. Once you learn a road hierarchy that fits your personality in Skylines, the game doesn't change whether you play an hour past that or 30 hours past that filling a map from border to border.

The agents in Skylines are amazing, but also show how fudged the game is. There are zero dynamics to actually test the agent simulation. Citizens travel to work or leisure or shopping destinations, solely to serve as filler on the roads. You can even side step that by building a ton of public transport. The citizens then live in bus stops for years at a time. And they don't care. The simulation doesn't care. Its to your benefit to make them live in bus stops. The agents only matter in two ways: you need goods shipments for taxes and you need arbitrary roamers to service stuff or it catches fire/gets mad.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Skylines is at its best when treated like a digital version of a model train layout. You can make some really stunning cities with it and it's great to watch them come to life, but there is not much actual game there. It's pretty much nerd bonsai once you get past the initial hurdles of learning how to manage traffic. This is not really a bad thing and I've got like 500 hours played, lack of challenging gameplay notwithstanding - I find it very relaxing.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 3, 2017

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Skylines' one year anniversary trailer literally showed the devs and the CEO watching a model railroad and playing with a model railroad while talking about they like model railroads and played with them while developing the game. If that didn't clue you in to their approach I don't know what would.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

a game knowing what its wants to be and sticking to it is good imo

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Koramei posted:

Goddamn seriously. I'm really curious what the hell happened to Firaxis. Civ V wasn't bad per se, but it feels like they've been on a slowly accelerating downhill run following IV.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fuligin posted:

Goddamn seriously. I'm really curious what the hell happened to Firaxis. Civ V wasn't bad per se, but it feels like they've been on a slowly accelerating downhill run following IV.

XCOM 2 is pretty awesome, so Firaxis still has talent, I've skipped Civ games since 2 when I broke the disk and uninstalled it because I was going to fail school over them, so no comment on their present quality.

Endless Legend/Space 2 is where the future of civ-likes is going, in my opinion.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fuligin posted:

Civ V with expansions is incredible, XCOM 2 is good, Firaxis is fine.....

....or would be, if Civ VI had AI that wasn't dumb as bricks and it felt like it was an actually polished game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, what's wrong with Civ VI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Civ V with expansions is rather average, and Civ VI is almost strictly better than V in most ways, but still not an amazing game or anything. It's just pretty good.