Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Hard to say from a metric that dumb, but it's super good. Probably the best open world game I've played imho.

i'm about as far in both zelda and hzd (not that far) and hzd is just flat out better in terms of world building and gameplay mechanics, not even gonna mention polish and presentation cause its a blow out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speaking of worldbuilding, I hope Horizon explains why there are neither dogs nor cats in this world

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

haveblue posted:

Going by my experience so far, if you're using melee on something that isn't downed/stunned you're doing something wrong and about to die.

I also wouldn't compare it to Dark Souls at all, not every game with a long windup animation and low player health is Dark Souls.

Ideally, I agree with you, but playing on V Hard at least, most dudes don't go down in under 4 hours right now... (that may change...)

And sometimes poo poo goes sideways and you need to swat at something that's charging you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am not sure I'm having fun playing this on Hard. Spending time setting up traps and such only to get one-shotted is a pretty bad feeling

Edit: Great, Horizon just had a hard lock crash.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 4, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

good thing there's normal where you can ride a strider at a horde of scrappers and just trample them to death while having a great time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I did that and got past that. But I'm starting to think the combat in this game is not that great. Normally I love doing time trial poo poo (I spent 2 hours in the tutorial for Titanfall 2) but these hunting lodge challenges are loving annoying

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of worldbuilding, I hope Horizon explains why there are neither dogs nor cats in this world

It does.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It does.

Well now I just want to push forward with the story!

And I guess it was just that first challenge with the precision aiming that annoyed me, getting gold on the other two was easier and elemental attacks are quite cool

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

Well, there's this game called Nier Automata which I guess I preordered. The english dub and translation has been done and made public since last month, but I still need to wait four days to play it, because, you know, they still need to change the default language to English in the executable. I don't do any programming but I bet that takes awhile so I'm just gonna wait patiently for this game that's already fully documented on youtube in English. It's the rules I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tradechop posted:

Well, there's this game called Nier Automata which I guess I preordered. The english dub and translation has been done and made public since last month, but I still need to wait four days to play it, because, you know, they still need to change the default language to English in the executable. I don't do any programming but I bet that takes awhile so I'm just gonna wait patiently for this game that's already fully documented on youtube in English. It's the rules I guess.

Games are finished and fully in English long before you can play them. They are not released because there are shipping and scheduling issues, not because they only just finished the English release the day before they released it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I imagine we'd probably get games a little faster if they didn't have to be shipped to a bunch of different stores across the country since you can't just piss retailers off by releasing digitally way earlier than the physical product is ready

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Games are finished and fully in English long before you can play them. They are not released because there are shipping and scheduling issues, not because they only just finished the English release the day before they released it.

I'm still pretty sour that I can't play it now, but in the meantime I got around to playing Uncharted 4 which might be the most graphically impressive game I've ever played in my life.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I imagine we'd probably get games a little faster if they didn't have to be shipped to a bunch of different stores across the country since you can't just piss retailers off by releasing digitally way earlier than the physical product is ready

In a perfect world they could do this but then physical copies would become obsolete.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Goons! My tax return came in and now I'm Hood Rich! I am craving a PS4, I gave my little brother my God of War Red PS3 two Christmases ago so I've missed the entirety of the PS4 so far. I redeemed every PS+ game for the first year of the PS4, and my buylist is looking like:

Bloodborne
The Last Guardian
Nioh
Infamous: Second Son

to get started, and as far as remakes go, I was thinking of grabbing The Last of Us, Kingdom Hearts and trying out the Uncharted series (I have no interest in playing them out of order, I can't handle incomplete narratives) but I was wondering a few things and the OP is, uh, kinda bare bones lol:

1) Are there any good PS4 Pro bundles on the horizon? The munny is burning a hole in my pocket, but if we can expect a neat looking model in a month or something I'll hang tight

2) How is the PS4 Ratcher & Clank? I loved those games in High School, the platforming and enemies were ok but the guns were so fun to find and upgrade. Does the PS4 recapture the magic or what?

3) Did I miss any unique or cool exclusives that are worth checking out? I just built a high end PC on Black Friday, so I'm playing The Witcher 3 and Human Revolution on there. I have no interest in sports games or racing games

4) Is the stock HDD in the PS4 Pro better than the base PS4? I know its not that big a deal but I really really don't want to crack open my console and replace the HDD unless its a massive QoL improvement. I've read on these forums that replacing the HDD with an SSD has neglible impact on most games, but big Open-World games load significantly faster... would this effect games like Final Fantasy XV?

I haven't been excited for a console in a really long time (I bought a Wii U at launch, sigh) but the idea of playing all these great action games and the ever present carrot-on-a-stick that is Kingdom Hearts III is just getting me hype AF. I'm sleeping on FFXV until the storyline patch and I'm gonna wait until Nier hits PC later this year, but I feel like there might be a big release I'm forgetting about that I thought looked cool.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 4, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

buy tales of berseria

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In addition to Knack, I would say that the Ratchet and Clank remake looks really good and plays really well. I actually never played the original but the new one certainly was fun and the guns are definitely the highlight.

Horizon Zero Dawn just came out and while I may be bitching about some gameplay stuff in this thread, overall it's got its hooks in me, so if you like action games I would add that to the list

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ratchet and clank owns

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My 4 liters of Franzia and I are ready for HZD...

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
if you like more traditional turn-based RPGs, World of Final Fantasy is good

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Gtav is the best open world until gta6 hth

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

3) Did I iss any unique or cool exclusives that are worth checking out? I just built a high end PC on Black Friday, so I'm playing The Witcher 3 and Human Revolution on there. I have no interest in sports games or racing games
Miku Future Tone. I bought it one night while drunk, having only played a smattering of music games before, and now it's one of my most played games ever.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have died over 150 times in the Hunting Trials

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Have you considered sucking less?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Is the summer really filled with big games? cos why in the gently caress have the released Nioh, Horizon Dawn and Nier so close together.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Usually summer is in fact filled with nothing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea summer is a dead zone for aaa games. you might get 1-2 but that's pushing it. dunno why

these games were released now because they were finished now and there's no point in sitting on them for months. some were probably meant to be out in the winter holiday season but missed it for w/e reason

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

During the summer people are outside, doing things, having fun, and enjoying life so they don't release big games during that period.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's the most hosed up thing I've read in my life

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

During the summer people are outside, doing things, having fun, and enjoying life so they don't release big games during that period.

Haha yea that's what I do....

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Policenaut posted:

hahah wtf are you babbling on about cracka?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Use the summer to catch up on your backlog. Also whatever games released now that you didn't get to will be cheaper then :)

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I loved Virginia - tells a story with a lot of depth despite being wordless and pushes the medium. The only reason I would say it's imperfect is I think it goes on 2 or 3 minutes too long, which may seem silly on such a short game. I think they just went a bit overboard in the non-linearity and metaphor at the end, which I understand while important and obviously part of the experiment the game is going for, made it a little less tight and focused than it could be.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah if you like that style of game Virginia is pretty great, though it occasionally gets lost up it own metaphorical rear end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like that video game releases are mostly a wasteland for a bit. The sheer volume has been kind of overwhelming and I feel like a wasteoid playing games all the time. I look forward to finally getting around to Mafia 3, thinking it's ok and playing it for like 3 hours a week while I do poo poo other than play games for a few months, instead of buying new ones before I can finish the last.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's usually a decent summer sale too so I can pick up stuff I had to pass on just because of the insane volume of games over the past few months.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Horizon, what level were people at when they beat the game? It's weird, in terms of story beats it feels like I haven't even gotten to the second act but I have filled out about half the map and more than half of the skill tree

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm really diggin HZD so far, except for how loving slow it is. I'm like 4-6 hours in, and I feel like the game has barely let me play it between handholding tutorials, cutscenes, and really easy missions. I'm sure that once it opens up, I won't have any more complaints. And I think I'm at that point. But I wanted to really dive into it tonight, and I feel like I was going full steam ahead and spent 4+ hours in the prologue.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In Horizon, what level were people at when they beat the game? It's weird, in terms of story beats it feels like I haven't even gotten to the second act but I have filled out about half the map and more than half of the skill tree

It looks like I might finish it around 30-35 and I've done a ton of side quests/errands but there's still a ton more. Worries about the length of the game were way overblown - it's almost too big.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For some reason anytime I'm in one of the blacksmith menus in nioh (reforge, refashion, etc) the PS4 fan spins up extremely loudly, like it's suffering for some reason. I do not understand what is so expensive about the slightly closer camera angle of those menus because it instantly goes back to normal whenever I back out to the general blacksmith menu, and it never has trouble during gameplay.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am guessing it has uncapped frame rates on that menu for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No, even if you're on the 60 FPS mode, the FPS is capped to 30 at the blacksmith