Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/837776276886798336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

:lol: if you ever run on any speed other than max at all times in all paradox games. That's some crazy poo poo.

going at max speed means i wouldn't have slow periods to alt-tab out and feed my internet-crippled attention span

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

This is gold. Thank you Wiz, thank you!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GunnerJ posted:

I don't understand why it has those other speed settings. Although sometimes I will use the slow one to watch the pew pew of early game battles (by late game, tick lag is strong enough that full speed is just as fast).

Exactly. In MP games we'll run at Fast for the first couple years when not much is going on, but otherwise you just let that poo poo ride at Normal. There's always housekeeping what needs tending to.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Penultimatum posted:

Also, I really hope there's more to the synthetic ascension tree than we're seeing, as just turning everyone into robots feels like kind of a crappy version of the technological singularity. If you can't fuse everyone's consciousnesses together and become god like in The Last Question then what's the point?

I think there's a much deeper challenge in trying to translate something like The Last Question to Stellaris, because Stellaris as a story has way more moving parts. A lot of the isolated parts of The Last Question's tech singularity is already in the game or planned to be in Utopia, but they're a better fit in different places than the materialist ethos and ascension system.

Like, if you want to do a 'screwing with another universe to become like onto God' in the context of Stellaris my brain goes somewhere else entirely.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Conskill posted:

Like, if you want to do a 'screwing with another universe to become like onto God' in the context of Stellaris my brain goes somewhere else entirely.

The closest I can think of becoming that cosmically powerful would probably entail our civilization slowly sliding into a "fallen empire" state, but if that happens I can't really see how it would be particularly engaging -- since by definition those societies are stagnant and spend their days playing this game at max speed without any events or interruptions :/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

Exactly. In MP games we'll run at Fast for the first couple years when not much is going on, but otherwise you just let that poo poo ride at Normal. There's always housekeeping what needs tending to.

Yeah but in MP you're usually also plotting with or at least shittalking at the other players.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha this is awesome.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lol at the people freaking out because "CELIAC'S IS A REAL DISEASE YOU KNOW HOW COULD YOU etc. etc."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Some serious celiac erasure going on in this thread. My digestion system is TRIGGERED

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Someone literally saying "it's a slippery slope".

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

Some serious celiac erasure going on in this thread. My digestion system is TRIGGERED

that tweet made me poo poo out my bowels. calling my lawyer.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I too used to laugh at picky eaters, until suddenly developing a violent allergy to wheat gluten in my late 20s that put me into anaphylactic shock.

Collapsing and waking up in hospital that first time after eating a pizza really sucked. Now I love the fashion for eating gluten-free food: all those people who don't really have to go gluten-free mean there's a bigger market for it, so more tasty stuff gets made.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Nobody is making fun of people with legitimate medical conditions you idiot

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

like 90% of the people who go out of their way to buy gluten free products don't actually suffer from gluten, and that's probably what the joke is about.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I think for my genetic engineering run, I'm going to make a race of plantoids with a backstory involving their ancestors fracturing into two lines: those who altered themselves to be free of gluten, and those that did not. Naturally, the other side will have diametrically opposed ethics and be set to always spawn.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nobody's making fun of people who ACTUALLY can't eat gluten. Hell, my sister is one of them. But people getting triggered over a random game dev making a crack at a fad diet that 90% of its adherents gain no benefit from is hilarious and/or idiotic. The guy talking about how it's a slippery slope is just incredible.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
All of this triggering occuring from both sides of this debate is peak Stellaris goon thread.

Also I bake all my own bread with high gluten flour and I tell everyone who eats it that it is gluten-free.

Unless I know they have Celiacs, I would never subject them to that horrific experience.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

paradox tore away my ability to feel gluten-free

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Brother Entropy posted:

going at max speed means i wouldn't have slow periods to alt-tab out and feed my internet-crippled attention span

Buy a second monitor or use that smartphone, if you're not running the game at speed five you might as well bequeath your save file to your descendants.

Anyways, once again Paradox is ripping off consumers by removing content from their game that the modders will have to add in. #freegluten Pre-order cancelled.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I can't believe people are dumb enough to get offended by that tweet. Jesus

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Never underestimate gamers

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Have you seen the internet?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't know how people haven't understood that wiz is constantly slightly trolling the fanbase, specially those who need to be trolled, that's just his style.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ZearothK posted:

Pre-order cancelled.

I miss this.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

look at all these people itt saying triggering and triggered like redditors

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I don't think wiz intended it but yes, that tweet does read as making GBS threads on people with coeliac disease and it's perfectly fair for people to be annoyed by it

Lifeglug posted:

look at all these people itt saying triggering and triggered like redditors

also this

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

StrixNebulosa posted:

Never overestimate gamers

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
you wouldn't shitpost in the stellaris thread

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Crazycryodude posted:

Nobody's making fun of people who ACTUALLY can't eat gluten. Hell, my sister is one of them. But people getting triggered over a random game dev making a crack at a fad diet that 90% of its adherents gain no benefit from is hilarious and/or idiotic. The guy talking about how it's a slippery slope is just incredible.

I had no idea being gluten free was a fad diet, it must not have caught on here in the UK yet.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

We should be able to build gluten bombs that wipe out all celiac life.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's a huge thing in the US at least. Lots of the health shows and sites put out stuff saying literally everything wrong with you is linked to gluten in some way. Just like they did with the previous health boogeyman, and the one before that

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Taear posted:

I had no idea being gluten free was a fad diet, it must not have caught on here in the UK yet.
You must be from the North.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
The expansion overall has nice features but in terms of ascensions it feels like "We really liked the shroud so we put all our heart into it and there is some other stuff to make it work for others too.".

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Here is the good thing about the gluten free fad though: people who actually suffer from celiac (ie the people who actually benefit) are much more able to get safe food and at better prices. View people following it as indirectly supporting sufferers of a real disease!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Penultimatum posted:

As a materialist I hacked it once and got the sentient AI technology. It self-destructed afterwards. I think there's also an in-depth event chain, but I've never finished it.

Also, I really hope there's more to the synthetic ascension tree than we're seeing, as just turning everyone into robots feels like kind of a crappy version of the technological singularity. If you can't fuse everyone's consciousnesses together and become god like in The Last Question then what's the point?

You can also just go shoot it if you fail hacking etc. Not sure if the tech is random but I got half progress towards Synths for killing it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

Here is the good thing about the gluten free fad though: people who actually suffer from celiac (ie the people who actually benefit) are much more able to get safe food and at better prices. View people following it as indirectly supporting sufferers of a real disease!

Oh, absolutely. This also goes for folks who are sensitive/allergic to gluten, too - fad diet or not, it's had a good effect on people with health things.

... Wiz's tweet is still funny, though!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ZypherIM posted:

Not always, I've seen poo poo like water bottles labeled "gluten free". In that case I'd think a company that brazen will probably poison you one day if you're stupid enough to buy their products.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Talkie Toaster posted:

You must be from the North.

Nope it's all over the place up here as well. He must live in a shack in the Welsh valleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rumda posted:

Nope it's all over the place up here as well. He must live in a shack in the Welsh valleys.

No, I live in Manchester. Most of my friends are even hipsters, I've never heard of it as a diet.

• Locked thread