Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Sorry I missed the deadline, glad my forces only have to advance as ordered for now. This was my big worry with the deadline being today, it's been a busy day and I only just got back in the house now. I'll do better for next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bag1gUxuU0g

Turn 30: 2130
French initiative
The battle ends in 21 turns

The 45th Brigade marches up to its defensive position and settles down.

The 5th changes its orders, but has a lot of trouble finding its way, and then even more when the 45th suddenly appears out of the darkness.

Crazycryodude's headquarters is overrun by Mon Pere as you attempt to flee.

Nothing more is heard from the 76th Brigade.

Turn 31: 2200
German initiative
The battle ends in 20 turns

The traffic jam clears; the tripwire companies begin making their way forward, and immediately discover the enemy skulking in the Bois de Baguette!

Off to the southeast...only one French gun fires, for some reason.

You, on the other hand, react with far more firepower.

You've lost a company, but they've lost four, and once your MGs have had their say, the area falls quiet.

Turn 32: 2230
French initiative
The battle ends in 19 turns

The 5th still isn't finding it easy to settle down; there are arguments over exact positioning and who belongs where with the 45th and 79th.

Turn 33: 2300
French initiative
The battle ends in 18 turns

The 5th is now, just about, in place. You see nothing of the enemy.

Turn 34: 2330
French initiative
The battle ends in 17 turns

The silence of the night is broken only by the pinging of your engineer putting up barbed wire...and the whinny of a horse.

Turn 35: MIDNIGHT
French initiative
The battle ends in 16 turns

Your tripwire is tripped!

Mon Pere is come! Mon Pere is upon you!

It's all too much for the tripwire; he flees, but the word is now out, and all the companies around St Croissant will become aware of Mon Pere's precise location very, very soon...

New day. Let's change the record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfuyY0Ur8-M

Turn 36: 0030
French initiative
The battle ends in 15 turns

Time to see just how much of a miracle can be pulled off by a Frenchman on a horse.

The men of the 77th stand firm next to Oberst HEY GAIL as their guns fire directly overhead at the charging horses.

And then the machine guns fire all along the line.

Well, that's more manageable...but Mon Pere himself is still alive and trying to close to contact. He's survived the fire of eight machine guns. Surely even he can't pull this one off?

Oh, wait, hold on a minute, there's one more MG to fire. Won't be a tick.

None of your riflemen needed to expend a single shot.

Turn 37: 0100
French initiative
The battle ends in 14 turns

The battlefield falls silent once again, and once again the night is only disturbed by the occasional pinging of your engineers setting up more barbed wire.

(n.b. this entanglement won't be complete until next turn)

:siren: The next deadline is TOMORROW, Saturday March 4th, at 7pm GMT.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 3, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
gently caress YEAH, FINALLY

MASSED ARMS DOCTRINE IN THIS BITCH

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

THE POWER OF TECHNOLOGY

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
gently caress, i didn't post in time

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

None of your riflemen needed to expend a single shot.
This maneuver shall go down in the history books as The Charge Of The Shite Brigade.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Aw drat I thought no news was good news but you just left out the bit where I got run down by the cavalry. See it's edited in now. Well, at least there's always the hope that I'm heavily wounded and/or MIA instead of dead. Failing that, at least I'm hopefully dead with an empty pistol in one hand and a bloody saber in the other.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mon Pere delivered your head on a lance straight to our HQ.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I was really looking forward to that bottle of champagne Brigadier Hegel promised.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

I was really looking forward to that bottle of champagne Brigadier Hegel promised.
aww. :(:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

As that the same cavalry brigade? They made good time in the dark.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hey Trin didn't I have TWO MG companies that survived getting pried out of Q? There's only one being overrun in the picture there. Did you forget to turn on the chit or is there still a glimmer of hope?

E:

Ikasuhito posted:

As that the same cavalry brigade? They made good time in the dark.

Well, Mon Pere was front and center again so I'm assuming it's the same brigade. Came from roughly the right direction, too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Mon Pere may have died, but that was fully loving sick

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Nice, that was an impressive defense killing those cavalry and those infantry in the woods. The question is are we now visible for firing or was that only this turn and the Frenchies need to try and spot us again.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j71UEQlYH6w

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, they didn't fire on the last turn because there was no-one to spot for them, I think. They'll know a bit about our positions near St C because the Cav saw them.

I could set a roadblock south of St C, does anyone think we'll need that road open anymore?

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 4, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think we can get away with blocking it off, no problem. The only people who should be using it for the rest of the map are Entente. Now that we've repulsed the (first) assault, can we send Saros towards Haltebruit to hook down into Q?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There's no point in sending down to Q, he'll just get smashed. He could check the road to haltebruit is clear, although his unit would be more effective strengthening a defense somewhere.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Send either koolkevz or Hegel. Preferably koolkevz, I think.

Also, let's hope the death of the enemy corps commander makes things harder for the Entente.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

79th Brigade orders

Infantry
If friendly movement allows, move our last companies into their original planned position. otherwise, no change.

Artillery
Batteries 1 & 2 are to move south 2" immediately and begin entrenching. As long as no enemy are visible, 3 & 4 will move south 2" at 0230 and entrench. Otherwise, move as soon as the enemy are gone.

If Kev's batteries are in the way, form a line with them.

Engineers

Finish the wiring at point 3, the ransack fraisechamps and set up 3" entanglements at 4. and 5. Finally, a Roadblock at 6. Retreat toward St C if enemy encountered.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 4, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I want to get SOMEONE marching over the ridge from Haltebruit towards Q, if only to pick up the orphaned 15cm guns and MG, then walk into Q if its undefended for a proper win instead of the minor one we're looking at now. Saros seemed like a logical choice because he's too depleted to do much in the main line, so we can have him go fumble around in the darkness on the off chance they didn't garrison Q without losing much. Sending a full brigade weakens our defenses too much, I feel. Plus, if there's a meaningful garrison there, the fight would probably take too long anyways, so why prepare for one?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
If needs be, I'll walk my brigade HQ there, accompanied by that infantry company that retreated this turn if it recovers. My troops are in their final positions and have their final orders, so they don't need my input anymore.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

What on earth makes people look at the entente situation and decide that the BEF commander is thinking "Yes, I'll walk off the town they just attack to go to somewhere of no strategic use" That is straight out wishful thinking. If they aren't in the town, they'll be nearby blocking the routes to it, I guarantee it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I guess that's a decent last resort, but for the whateverth time - Saros seems perfect. Enough guns to deal with a company or two they stumble over, but not so many that we can't spare them.

Jags!, you have your engineers putting a roadblock up on the rail line, not the actual road. Is that intentional?

E: RE: Why would they abandon Q? Elan, and wanting to bring everything they can against Croissant. The fact that their Corps commander himself just charged the town with an entire fresh brigade implies they think it's pretty drat important to try and get us out. I would not be surprised one bit if the BEF is setting up somewhere on Dejeuner Ridge or Clemenceau for a morning assault, potentially with the rest of their dudes.

And if they're sitting in Q, fine, oh well, we've still got Croissant. Sending Saros loses us nothing big, and IF they haven't garrisoned the town, we get a major victory.

They probably ARE blocking the most direct route to Q (walking over Dejeuner the way we did earlier/through Graisse), which is why I want to go around the long way. If I did the math right and they don't get TOO lost (which they shouldn't while following a road), we can go way around and still get to Q before the timer's up.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 4, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

I guess that's a decent last resort, but for the whateverth time - Saros seems perfect. Enough guns to deal with a company or two they stumble over, but not so many that we can't spare them.

Jags!, you have your engineers putting a roadblock up on the rail line, not the actual road. Is that intentional?

E: RE: Why would they abandon Q? Elan, and wanting to bring everything they can against Croissant. The fact that their Corps commander himself just charged the town with an entire fresh brigade implies they think it's pretty drat important to try and get us out. I would not be surprised one bit if the BEF is setting up somewhere on Dejeuner Ridge or Clemenceau for a morning assault, potentially with the rest of their dudes.

And if they're sitting in Q, fine, oh well, we've still got Croissant. Sending Saros loses us nothing big, and IF they haven't garrisoned the town, we get a major victory.

They probably ARE blocking the most direct route to Q (walking over Dejeuner the way we did earlier/through Graisse), which is why I want to go around the long way. If I did the math right and they don't get TOO lost (which they shouldn't while following a road), we can go way around and still get to Q before the timer's up.

The rail has wire being constructed on it at point #3 at the moment. The roadblock will be built on the road, I used last turn's diagrams because only small tweaks were being made. I've gone back and clarified things a bit.

Aside from an isolated case of a corps commander, they've displayed zero elan. They could have risen from their trenches for a general attack at any time but they didn't. Further, with their corps commander gone, they're almost certain to be concentrating on their local areas, which means anything moving to the vicinity of Q needs to plan for 9 infantry companies and a few heavy guns in the locality.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 4, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Look, why CAN'T we spare Saros? Can you guys please just humor me and my crazy ideas this one time? I'm so damned tired of having to fight for every last thing.

Just reiterating, Saros isn't doing poo poo and if there's a big attack he really won't meaningfully contribute. Maybe the French screwed up and left Q unguarded. They probably didn't, it would be stupid if they did, but they're humans too and they screw up sometimes. We lose essentially nothing by sending him and gain the possibility of a major victory. If we lose because Saros actually would have made a difference in some major assault that happens, please feel free to ridicule me for the rest of eternity.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 4, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
my position owns, digging in is good, heavy guns behind my infantry is good (seriously, dude who wanted me to put them in front), i don't want to move

and i have no dog in this fight but the fact remains that people don't listen to cryodude sometimes

edit: can i borrow an engineer? i'd like someone to forage for some barbed wire for me

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 4, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'll admit I came off snappy, for various reasons my fuse is a little short today. In the morning I'll come back, collect my thoughts, and make a civilized case.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the less we do the better, imo

our plans are always ridiculously overcomplicated and that's the reason they fail a lot. when things go poorly, we flip out. when things go well, we flip out with happiness.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I can change where the wire around fraisechamps goes, that gives you enough to cover 6" of ground. Where were you thinking of?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Jaguars! posted:

What on earth makes people look at the entente situation and decide that the BEF commander is thinking "Yes, I'll walk off the town they just attack to go to somewhere of no strategic use" That is straight out wishful thinking. If they aren't in the town, they'll be nearby blocking the routes to it, I guarantee it.

The part where they know they just killed the last guys we had on that half of the map and they need the BEF if they want to drive us from Croissants?

And that the best spot for them to guard Quatrepouts is by setting up between Dejeuner and Clemenceau?

And that they know drat well that we've turtled up around Croissants at this point, since they presumably saw our arty and MGs mowing down the cavalry brigade?

And that as Cryo says, it costs us nothing to try?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Listen, if Saros is OK with it, and if it is a popular idea, then I will let him move to Q along edge of the map. Personally I don't think it's important though, and while we have defeated one brigade, there are many more, so I frown at weakening our defense even marginally.

On a different note. What is very reassuring is that seemingly their artillery superiority is useless unless they sacrifice their infantry to spot for it. Good times.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 4, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Goodbye Horses. I'm gonna have that pic of Mon Pere sitting out with his rear end hanging in the wind in front of two and a half emplaced brigades fuckin framed. Did we seriously look quite so dead that he thought he'd only have to walk into the town?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 4, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5IOICapspM

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Goodbye Horses. I'm gonna have that pic of Mon Pere sitting out with his rear end hanging in the wind in front of two and a half emplaced brigades fuckin framed. Did we seriously look quite so dead that he thought he'd only have to walk into the town?

I guess maybe they didn't count on us already having called in reinforcements from the very beginning. So from their point of view, they killed most of a division up top, two brigades down near Q, and saw two brigades defending our eastern flank, which would account for all of our initial forces. It probably looked to them like 76th and 78th had been all the forces we had defending StC, and with them out of the way the road there looked clear enough for a hail-mary charge like the one we'd made to Q.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
19th Division
The Sandman: Keep on keeping on. Maybe send back the guys who retreated, I trust you know what to do.

Saros: Right now there are no additional plans for you besides what I posted last turn. To repeat them: Stay north of town, protecting us from extreme flanking as well as serving as reserve. Keep LOS on both flanks, and include conditional orders that you will come cahrging at enemy if you can see them appearing north of Hegel's or Koolkev's main line (because it has been broken / bypassed).

Koolkevz: There is enemy swarming next to your flank. Try to get some infantry perpendicular to them to protect the unguarded arty on your flank. Do not move unlimbered artillery. Also dig, dig, dig.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 4, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

With how long the updates are in the night we can't react to circumstances, and movement is apparently more difficult as well. This does not scream "get moving" to me. Is there anything at all we can get out west? I think now that Hegel is entrenched we might as well keep her right there, but that total lack of anything in terms of flank protection is giving me bellyache.

e: Hegel, Steinrokkan, anyone else
Do you think that Hegel's position would be improved by moving three infantry companies from 77bde's back row into a line going straight north from 77bde's western- and northernmost current infantry company? Beef it up with the easternmost MG? Or is it all the same?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 4, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

With how long the updates are in the night we can't react to circumstances, and movement is apparently more difficult as well. This does not scream "get moving" to me. Is there anything at all we can get out west? I think now that Hegel is entrenched we might as well keep her right there, but that total lack of anything in terms of flank protection is giving me bellyache.

Do you think that Hegel's position would be improved by moving three infantry companies from 77bde's back row into a line going straight north from 77bde's western- and northernmost current infantry company? Or is it all the same?
what about wire? what about shifting a machine gun to the outside of the back row?

bear in mind that my right flank is in Bois de Goonville, so anyone i move there would have to think about visibility as well

ed: at the very least, i'm ordering the extra company that is not odd-man-out on my right flank to get behind the other ones, but i like thick lines

ed 2: can i keep the orphan companies i managed to pick up? and how's their morale looking?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 4, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

aphid_licker posted:

Do you think that Hegel's position would be improved by moving three infantry companies from 77bde's back row into a line going straight north from 77bde's western- and northernmost current infantry company? Or is it all the same?

I can tell Saros to form up a line cutting through the woods, or positioned in an ambush spot at the edge of the woods.

My only concern on that side is about enemy appearing out of the forest right next to the town, which I know you are also keeping in mind.

I think Hegel could use her second line of infantry to protect the area between her position and the town, where the artilery is, against such an ambush, and I've been ordering Saros to stay where he could come to assist.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

at one thirty in the morning as well

he may simply have wanted to make an epic show of it

• Locked thread