Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oh cool thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Approaching things as a conflict is already the problem. The point is to help people articulate their own ideas better.

As I think you well know, this gets people even more pissed. The issue that made me bring this up was a conversation where someone brought something to the table that we couldn't engage with.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

FishBulb posted:

Why did you forget your tampons?!? :chord:

6.50 is a great deal for a bottle's worth of champagne but maybe not the best approach immediately after waking up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

These people are going to make about $12 that weekend if they're not showing Beauty and the Beast.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Finally, someone stands up against homosexual talkng silverware. America has had enough!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

DrVenkman posted:

It's frankly not that good. I liked it more on my first viewing, but the second got to be sort of a slog. Andy Garcia probably gets the best line in the whole thing.

Of the cast,I think Leslie Jones actually comes off the best. Wiig and McCarthy barely register, and though McKinnon walked away with the movie on first watch, the second time she comes across as a series of tics without a character.

I do really like the ghost designs though.

Ok i've finished the movie now and i just have one question, and this is for the lady goons ideally:

The movie was fine, but one thing that sticks in my craw is Thor/James Hunt as the Receptionist. Clearly the whole movie was supposed to be a Sex inversion of the original, and having a dude receptionist absolutely fits this. So my question is this, was Annie Potts's character in the original movie seen as ditzy, stupid and sexist like this 2016 inverted version is supposed to be? I thought she was a wiseass bespeckled new yorker who didnt take any poo poo from these weird so-called "Ghostbusters", so the real off-putting thing is me reading into the intent of the filmmaker. Why thor was ditzy and stupid made no sense, if its an inversion of the original shouldnt he have been a wiseass constantly making fun of the girls?

e: sorry about this months-old conversation, just saw the movie tonight. The ghost designs still rock.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

DC Murderverse posted:

These people are going to make about $12 that weekend if they're not showing Beauty and the Beast.

I would assume when asked they would say they're fans of the free market (but wouldn't know what that actually means)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Yo, church, don't forget tomorrow night:

Y'all motherfuckers better not sleep on this, Belladonna of Sadness is extremely dope

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kevin is hilarious and changing anything about him would have made the movie even worse

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Just because it's a gender inversion of the original doesn't mean everything has to be a 1-1 inversion. They found a character that works and used it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
My biggest problem with Ghostbusters is it would have a funny joke, and beat it to death, and then have a character comment on the joke being beaten to death.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

FishBulb posted:

Just because it's a gender inversion of the original doesn't mean everything has to be a 1-1 inversion. They found a character that works and used it.

I know, but what this says about what the filmmakers thought of the original receptionist is what bugged me. "Oh yea motherfucking men? You wanna make a ditzy receptionist? WELL TWO CAN PLAY AT THAT GAME". Like they didnt actually see the original. (I am sort of reading it as 1-1, it seems to be that way in most other aspects)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I know, but what this says about what the filmmakers thought of the original receptionist is what bugged me. "Oh yea motherfucking men? You wanna make a ditzy receptionist? WELL TWO CAN PLAY AT THAT GAME". Like they didnt actually see the original. (I am sort of reading it as 1-1, it seems to be that way in most other aspects)

The gag has nothing to do with what the filmmakers thought of the original receptionist. The gag is that the protagonists of the new movie want to be taken seriously, but have to rely on someone who's too stupid to question them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the receptionist isn't being played to match up or contrast the original. It's just its own thing and it plays in its own way

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

See, I don't get in arguments with my real life movie nerd friends because my real life movie nerd friends know what's up

I am watching Scream now and it is extremely good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Coffee And Pie posted:

My biggest problem with Ghostbusters is it would have a funny joke

My biggest problem with it was that it wouldn't

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

morestuff posted:

I am watching Scream now and it is extremely good

I like when Squiggy shows up as the dean.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I like when Squiggy shows up as the dean.

Late-era Winkler rules

I bought it because The Craft was on at the bar and seeing Skeet Ulrich/Neve Campbell + so many great 90s-era stars made me want to watch Scream again. Great decision

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My YTOTD (or TYOTDs) is a crosspost from another thread. since it's a series: Movies remade as Power Ranger intros

I think that's my favorite one, but there's also JJTrek / In Space, BTTF / Time Force, OG Star Wars / Lost Galaxy, and a bunch others. Dude edits stuff together well.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Skeet Ulrich is Jughead's dad on Riverdale.

Also, Riverdale's pretty good. Although by the end of it I usually unconsciously end up braiding my own hair while watching it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Skeet Ulrich is Jughead's dad on Riverdale.

Has he learned how to play a non-psychotic in the last 20 years

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

corn in the bible posted:

My biggest problem with it was that it wouldn't

Allow me to rephrase: there's an idea of a funny joke. Some kind of abstraction. But there is no real joke, only dialogue, something illusory. And though you can watch the movie and hear the cadence and maybe even force a chuckle at the delivery and consider it to have been botched in editing: the joke simply is not there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

morestuff posted:

Has he learned how to play a non-psychotic in the last 20 years

no (maybe?)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Yo, church, don't forget tomorrow night:

Already set to record homie. Hitting my recordings of Wild Strawberries and Through a Glass Darkly tomorrow at work, plus the nice guys to switch it up.

morestuff posted:

Late-era Winkler rules

Kenny Winker? What's a song of his, something I might have heard?

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 4, 2017

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
It might be because I watched Next (garbage) before it but Knowing isn't half bad. It has a surprisingly solid ending imo.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
In a Valley of Violence is like if you went back in time and pitched John Wick to '60s Roger Corman and he was like "I have one Western set we can film on, let's do it". I dug it.

Gorman Thomas posted:

It might be because I watched Next (garbage) before it but Knowing isn't half bad. It has a surprisingly solid ending imo.

Knowing is bonkers. I remember actually enjoying it (except for some sketchy CG) but I haven't seen it since it came out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

I grabbed 3 Pacific Rim posters.

I walked away with 10. The rest were found on the floor.

I guess a lot of people missed the garbage can.

DrVenkman posted:

I doubt that most CineD posters are assholish enough to sit someone down in real life and tell them that actually, Marvel movies are bad.

I do that poo poo all the time and I've met with very little disagreement. Although I think the worst thing I've seen of late is someone on facebook saying that they actually should show Spider-Man's origin story in the new movie because the last one "hosed it up.". With poo poo like that I just back away because there's no point in bothering.

If you really want to stir poo poo up, go into a comic book store and say that the Walking Dead sucks.

MacheteZombie posted:

some good.
some bad

At this point the signal to noise ratio is pretty low.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Finally got approved to maintain a curated shelf at work! It's gonna be fluid as things come and go, but these were my first picks. Am I good?

Replace Fury with The Fury starring Kirk Douglas. Also add Blacula.

I've found this whole thing extra hilarious because Disney fandom is one of the gayest things on Earth. Plus we're talking about a loving musical. I've known more than one person who worked/works at Disneyworld is there's more queers there than a theater guild crashing into a drama club outside of a leather bar. The people who own that drive in sure sound like the life of the loving party.

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm also thinking that if they make moralizing their business instead of showing movies then their business as a whole isn't going to be a runaway success.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Knowing is great, and I'm fully convinced that it will be fondly remembered as a cult classic twenty years from now.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/837876279965712384

And while the old tank controls kinda suck, this game does some super unsettling things with camera angels.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My limited understanding of Christianity is that Jesus discarded everything from
the Old Testament save for the Ten Commandments. I don't think there's much in the NT about homosexuality, is there? If Christianity gay hatred is based in the OT, why do the same people still eat shellfish, shave their beards, not observe things like not touching one's wife when she's menstruating (actually, they probably observe that out of misogyny) etc? Please can someone with more knowledge clarify.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I kept clicking through and it's neverending. I can't help but be impressed by their assuredly terrible output.

That channel is like the Paris Catacombs of garbage films.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That channel is like the Paris Catacombs of garbage films.

As Above, Subscribe Below

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

therattle posted:

I don't think there's much in the NT about homosexuality, is there?

Modern day Christianity's resentment of homosexuality mostly stems from Paul, who talked a lot more about sexual issues than Jesus himself. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 in particular is a verse that gets brought up a lot.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 posted:

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LesterGroans posted:

As Above, Subscribe Below

drat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Shin Godzilla just won the Japanese Academy Prize for Best Picture of 2016, as well as Best Director and some other prizes.

gently caress yes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Modern day Christianity's resentment of homosexuality mostly stems from Paul, who talked a lot more about sexual issues than Jesus himself. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 in particular is a verse that gets brought up a lot.

Paul had some issues:

Corinthians 11:14 posted:

Isn't it obvious that it's disgraceful for a man to have long hair?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Samuel Clemens posted:

Thanks, very helpful. They don't seem to have the same issue with the greedy though, do they?

I mean, Jesus threw the money lenders out of the Temple, not the Jerusalem amateur dramatics society.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As a Jew who somehow ended up in a Catholic High School, I always found the letters part of Bible to be pretty amusing. From what I recall the whole thing is pretty much Jesus going "if you believe in God you will get into Heaven" and then a bunch of Romans who were pretty much damned under Judaism and Roman beliefs going "Holy poo poo! really?" and Paul going "well of course when Jesus said that what he actually meant was..."

Not to sound like a smug Atheist but nothing in my years of being raised Jewish did as much to make me an atheist as the stuff I learned in Catholic school. The lack of answers they had for some pretty basic questions just made me question the whole institution. Hell, I still remember what the iconoclastic controversy is because asking questions about that is what pretty much started solidifying thinking this was all a bunch of bullshit.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Officer Downe is good comic book movie.

I especially loved all the little gags like "gently caress all these subtitles" into kung fu dubbing, the orgasm counter ding sound effect also being used for head shots, and the air freshener tree in the wagon.

It's also super refreshing for something comic-related to clock in at a tidy, well-formed 90 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

therattle posted:

Thanks, very helpful. They don't seem to have the same issue with the greedy though, do they?

I mean, Jesus threw the money lenders out of the Temple, not the Jerusalem amateur dramatics society.

If you're asking why so many Christians in the US focus on LGBT issues rather than the myriad of other vices condemned by Jesus, the answer isn't directly related to the Bible. I was just trying to point out that "How can you be against gay marriage when you eat shellfish" won't work very well when arguing against bigots because the scriptural justification for their behaviour is found elsewhere.

• Locked thread