Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I stopped in Walmart tonight to pick up some jorts and swung by the gaming section.

All sold out of Switches, they had about 5 copies of Zelda left and 20 of 1-2 Switch, everything else was sold out.

They also had a pile of Wii games, and a pile of WiiU games.

I don't know what the gently caress, I was wondering where the Sega Saturn games were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You gotta go to K-Mart for that, and blank VHS tapes.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

Wii/Gamecube works better on emulation than N64 does, some how

which pisses me off cos n64 is my favourite console and it plays pretty bad, worse on wii64

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Zelda looks good but lmao there's not another major release for nearly 2 months so gently caress that.

Also I feel like Nintendo games get dramatically better scores than they usually deserve because they are Nintendo games. Like if the new Zelda wasn't Zelda and was a new IP I doubt itd be getting 10/10s

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

lol if ur using 1060 on a 4k display

though its still less of a waste than using a nintendo console on anything above SD
nah a 6GB 1060 and 4k g-sync monitor is a pretty ace setup as it turns out. probably because at this resolution and pixel pitch you can drop the fsaa setting a notch lower and still have aliasing look better than the higher setting on a 1080p monitor. being able to turn down the most demanding setting like that is a huge boost. and g-sync is crazy good

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
hmm how can we make zelda even more boring and generic?

just add a dash of skyrim and stir until bland

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Lol yeah cartridges in the age of cd roms how amazing

The only advantage CDs had were storage space. Carts don't have loading time and or get scratched to hell.

Also WWF No Mercy was the greatest wrestling game ever made.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

a bone to pick posted:

It seem that the console is poo poo, but zelda is very good, a good launch title can move systems

Maybe tens of thousands units. Not millions, which is what Nintendo needs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

gary oldmans diary posted:

nah a 6GB 1060 and 4k g-sync monitor is a pretty ace setup as it turns out. probably because at this resolution and pixel pitch you can drop the fsaa setting a notch lower and still have aliasing look better than the higher setting on a 1080p monitor. being able to turn down the most demanding setting like that is a huge boost. and g-sync is crazy good

Fair enough!

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Philthy posted:

Unlike some diehard PC or nothing enthusiasts, I dont harbor any innate hatred toward consoles. Heck, my earliest gaming memory is of playing Super Mario Bros. until midnight, after my dad came home with a Nintendo tucked under his arm when I was five. I enjoyed the Xbox 360 so much that I burned through five of them. (Stupid Red Ring of Death and disc read errors.) And sometimesin my darkest hours, when Ive been battling borked drivers or broken PC portsthe streamlined allure of consoles still whispers to me.

Come, friend, it hisses in my ear. Embrace the dark side! We have sweets, and simplicity, and youll never have to worry about hardware upgrades. And I have to admit, the idea sounds damned appealing in those bleak times.

But then I boot up XCOM 2 or one of PCWorlds top 10 PC games of 2015few of which made it to consolesand that temptation instantly dissipates. Sure, consoles have their strong points, but PC gaming offers so much more. How do I love thee, PC gaming? Let me count the ways.

1. Cheap games

Not to be that guy, but Im a family man on a budget. The less cash I have to shell out for games, the better. And PC games are far cheaper than console games, for a fine reason: Consoles are walled gardens, while game stores on the PC have to compete for your money.

The result? Origins wonderful On the House freebie program, and delectable Humble Bundles, and Green Man Gamings perpetual 20 percent off vouchers, and those glorious, glorious Steam sales. On the PC, publishers regularly give away superb older games to drum up interest in imminent sequels, as we saw Need for Speed, SOMA, Dragon Age, and Sniper Elites developers do recently. Its great!

And before you console enthusiasts say you get free games every month, stop. You dont. You get games with your monthly PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live subscriptions, which isnt the same thing at all. Speaking of which

2. You dont have to pay to play multiplayer games on PCs

Yep, that about sums it up. Yay for competition!

3. More types of games

Youll also find a wider variety of game types on PCs compared to consoles. Not to keep beating the same drum, but the PCs open nature helps here, as the comparative ease with which developers can whip up a game has led to an absolute explosion of indie titles on the platform. (Steam added roughly eight new games per day in the first seven months of 2015, PC Gamer reports.)

Dont worry about missing out on big games, either. The days of widespread console exclusives are over. Very few of the triple-A games released lock themselves to consoles now that development costs are so high and all three big consoles pack AMD hardware similar to what youd find in a (budget) gaming PC. Not releasing a PC version of a triple-A game simply doesnt make sense for third-party game publishers, who dont have a stake in a particular platforms dominance.

The superb strategy game Endless Legend is PC-exclusive, relies heavily on keyboard and mouse controls, and can frequently be found for as little as $10.
But the reasons extend beyond the ecosystem alone. Keyboards and mice offer speed, accuracy, and complexity benefits that controllers simply cant match. Theres a reason the Counter-Strike and Civilization series exploded on PCs, but fizzled when they attempted to leap to consoles: Handling them with a controller just isnt the same.

The inherent advantages of a keyboard and mouse have led strategy games and simulations to carve out a niche on PCs. Witness XCOM 2 and Cities: Skylines, two notable recent PC exclusives.

4. Play how you want to play

Which leads me to another beautiful aspect of PC gaming: You can play your games however you want to play them. Many PC gamers swear by the keyboard and mouse, but you can just as easily play many games with a gamepad if youd likesacrilege, I know, but I often do just that after typing for work all day. Or you can go really nuts and embrace dedicated peripherals like racing wheels and HOTAS setups. (Sims are another big PC niche for this very reason.)

New year, new inputs: Corsair K70, Razer DeathAdder, Steam Controller, Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X flight stick pic.

Playing Elite Dangerous with an Oculus Rift VR headset strapped to your face and a flight stick in your hands truly feels like youve entered another universe, but the game features KB&M and controller support, too. PC gaming is all about choice and flexibility, and choice and flexibility are always wonderful things.

5. As real as you want it to be

That choice and flexibility extends to the hardware inside your PC and the gaming experience itself. Pricey multi-GPU rigs with cranked-to-4K resolutions and every setting maxed out snag all the headlines on Reddithey, tricked-out PCs are pretty darn sexybut theres no need to break the bank to be a PC gamer.

The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 tend to play games between 720p and 1080p resolution (which makes sense, as most TVs fall in that range) at 30 to 60 frames per second, with graphics comparable to medium-to-high settings on a PC. You can build a gaming computer that checks all those boxes for roughly $400, albeit sans the cost of Windows. Then again, Linux gaming is brighter than ever if you dont want to splurge on an OSor, if you compare the price of Windows to the cost of Xbox Live or PlayStation Plus, the OS pays for itself in just over a year.

Or you can go all-out on 4-way SLI graphics cards.
On the flip side of the coin, you could drop a thousand dollars on your graphics card alone if you want eye candy thats borderline life-like, or create a gloriously monstrous multi-monitor setup, or be slightly more reasonable and build a gaming PC that falls somewhere between the extremes. Single-monitor 2560x1440 gaming at 60fps is the current PC gaming sweet spot, in my opinion, though shooting-game fans sometimes aim for a 1080p monitor capable of 120Hz to 144Hz for faster reaction timesneither of which consoles are capable of.

But thats whats so great about PC gaming: You can choose any hardware setup you like to fit your preferences and budget. If you want to stick to e-sports games like Dota 2, League of Legends, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, you can even get away with skipping a discrete graphics card in favor of one of AMDs more powerful APU options, which integrate compute processors and Radeon graphics on a single chip.

6. Mods

You cant play Grand Theft Auto as a demented, fire-loving version of Woody from Toy Story on your Xbox. You cant experience the manic joy of Just Cause 2s multiplayer mod. Nor can you enjoy all the care, love, and polish poured into the community-created Half-Life 2 update, or bask in the thousands of Skyrim tweaks available.

You can do all that and more on a PC.

Mods make a game your own, opening up ne
w adventures and/or fixing issues that developers neglect. Theyre a massive part of what makes PC gaming greatand the overwhelming majority of them are free. (Theres the beauty of an open platform again.)

The Woody mod for GTA4. Dont look into his eyes.
Dont get me wrong: PCs arent necessarily better than consoles. Theyre different. A lot of people just want to sit on a couch and play a game after a long day of work rather than worrying about updates for drivers or Windows. Consoles scratch that itch. Again: Choice is wonderful!

But between the cheaper games, hardware flexibility, and mods, the choice is a no-brainer for me. I cant quit you, PC gaming, and Id never want toeven if you do frustrate me from time to time. I love you for better and for worse.

The last four games I've bought on the PC, Deus Ex: HR, Resident Evil 7, Watch Dogs 2, and Dishonored 2 all had nightmarish stuttering. Deus Ex was unplayable. That's PC gaming for you. All of those game would have been fine on a console.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Good grief the BOTW graphics and FPS dips on wii-u are atrocious. It's not unplayable or anything but drat. Even with the cell shading whatever poo poo they use.

Yeah yeah Nintendo graphics blah blah but other wii-u games look legit great on my Samsung ks8000

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
i call it the nintendo splash because it is making a big splash in my heart

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
i watched that one video and he has a good point why is it called the nintendo switch but the sound effect it makes when you plug it in is a "SNAP!" sound? do yall think that the inscrutable japs in charge of this thing got the word switch mixed up with snap? i

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Infidel Castro posted:

The only advantage CDs had were storage space. Carts don't have loading time and or get scratched to hell.

Which was an enormous advantage. The N64 was an ill-advised system. And if you're not a slob, your CDs won't get "scratched to hell".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Will Star Citizen be available on Switch?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Will Star Citizen be available on Switch?

If you want it to be, sure.

Just buy more jpgs.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Alan_Shore posted:

Sega Saturn was the best system of that generation but I was the only person to have one and I just feel so sorry that everyone missed out on the best arcade games and RPGs that's all

I had one too and liked it. :( Also liked the 32X though so I'm a pretty big dummy

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
i saw one saturn in my life and the only game i saw was rampage world tour

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
so weird growing up in aus i never saw a nes til 1995 everyone had a master system then snes then sega was dead

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

wtf I just read that this console doesn't support bluetooth OR allow you to plug headphones into the pro controller. So you have to have a 20 foot headphone jack if you want to play it in docked mode while others are sleeping?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

wtf I just read that this console doesn't support bluetooth OR allow you to plug headphones into the pro controller. So you have to have a 20 foot headphone jack if you want to play it in docked mode while others are sleeping?

Nintendo is trying to tell you to move out of your mom's house

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's a console for children. You are not supposed to play past your bedtime.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
i only bought a wii u for mario maker
i didnt trade it in cos of the hacking which lead to emulators on the gamepad
i'll only buy a switch if they get cycle perfect n64 emulation otherwise whats the point

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Nintendo is trying to tell you to move out of your mom's house

LOL BURN!!!!!!!! I'm 36, married and live in a city where no one can afford more than a small condo.

Also not getting a Switch. Too many red flags.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

LOL BURN!!!!!!!! I'm 36, married and live in a city where no one can afford more than a small condo.

Also not getting a Switch. Too many red flags.

but do you live at home

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nonviolent J posted:

but do you live at home

Moved out in the 90s. My parents are awful people.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if you are married, you should have matured out of playing videogames

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is Nintendo ever going to get with the times and hire a Hollywood actor to do the voice of Link

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Starring George Clooney as the voice of link

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Starring the voice of drawn together's xander as link

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Speaking of which, lots of really terrible voice acting in this game

It seems stupid to voice it really badly in certain key cutscenes when the rest of the game is text only anyway

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I had one too and liked it. :( Also liked the 32X though so I'm a pretty big dummy

Dude I got a 32X for Christmas and was immediately furious that I wasted that year's "The Big One" on that hunk of poo poo when I plugged in Mortal Kombat and the loving WALLS ARE STILL GREEN this thing doesn't do poo poo! It was the first time in my life I had ever been bamboozled.

I'm still pretty keen on the Switch, though. This thing could take off as an amazing handheld-slash-retro machine, or it could end up getting the same poo poo support the Wii U did from both third parties and Nintendo and die a quick death after Mario Odyssey.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Played the wii u zelda last night. It's cool and good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

no bluetooth? did nintendo invent their own proprietary wireless standard for these joycons, or are they just no letting you use the features of the Android tablet you bought?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Nuts and Gum posted:

Starring George Clooney as the voice of link

no only matthew mcconaughey can voice link

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Professor SJW posted:

no only matthew mcconaughey can voice link

The ocarina of time is a flute circle

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
this master sword keeps making me older, gannondorf stays the same age

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

The last four games I've bought on the PC, Deus Ex: HR, Resident Evil 7, Watch Dogs 2, and Dishonored 2 all had nightmarish stuttering. Deus Ex was unplayable. That's PC gaming for you. All of those game would have been fine on a console.

I also have all those games except watch dogs 2 and there's no stuttering whatsoever, I'm sorry for your dual-core gateway PC.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
All bullshit aside the guy who can't get his games running by adjusting his graphics settings is a major retard. Zelda looks great tbh but nothing is greater than not buying a dumbass system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Rutibex posted:

no bluetooth? did nintendo invent their own proprietary wireless standard for these joycons, or are they just no letting you use the features of the Android tablet you bought?

It uses Bluetooth. The pro controller can be used on PC, but it's unsupported officially, so you might as well go with an Xbox One controller for PC play anyway. Nintendo is just locking you out of pairing the console with anything they didn't intend for you to.

• Locked thread