Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
"Interpretation of some of the physics 15 months ago led us astray, resulting in a 12 month set back"

Well at least they learned their lesson!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Jimmy Carter posted:

Reminder that Whirlpool, a company with an annual revenue of $20+ Billion/year, has decided that Indiegogo is the best way to get a project funded

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zera-food-recycler-recycling--2#/

I'm actually torn as to whether or not this is a genius idea, because right now some PM gets to go LOOK AT HOW MUCH INTEREST WE HAVE, AND WE DIDN'T EVEN NEED TO RUN AN AD CAMPAIGN

seemed cool until i saw that it needs power, and air filters and additive packs

seems worse for the environment than composting or even just throwing out leftovers and buying fertilizer when you need it

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Perplx posted:

seems worse for the environment than composting or even just throwing out leftovers and buying fertilizer when you need it

yea im guessing air filters are pretty crucial when you have a compost pile decaying in a box in your kitchen

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
some good rear end campaign video in here lads https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/momentplz/no-more-cold-hands-the-future-of-gaming-and-workst

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

the warm hands thing is pretty legit for gaming but uhhhhhh when i played cs and day of defeat competitively i would just wash my hands with warm water before the match and at halftime

worked just fine for me, loving millenials :rolleyes:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

anthonypants posted:

it's supposed to be based on "frustrated total internal reflection" and the green lighting is to mask the proprietary wavelength they're using

I hope the designers experience frustrated total internal reflection and quit their jobs lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

theflyingexecutive posted:

I hope the designers experience frustrated total internal reflection and quit their jobs lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Perplx posted:

the packs are compostable themselves and you only need a maximum of six filters a year. I think it's a problem much more suited to economies of scale in large-scale compost collection, but making meat and dairy compostable is a genuine innovation that shuts down the hassle of sorting your food waste every time you clean a plate. shame about the price tho; hopefully like all kitchen kickstarters, a device 1/3 of the price hits the market a month before they ship.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pro tip: eat your food instead of throwing it out like a first world rear end in a top hat

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Powaqoatse posted:

pro tip: eat your food instead of throwing it out like a first world rear end in a top hat

can't, i'll get fatter

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Boiled Water posted:

can't, i'll get fatter

then buy less

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Powaqoatse posted:

then buy less

i wish i could but there's a lower limit to how much cabbage i can buy

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

It's a couple halogen lamps that plug into the wall. As a person with a cold workshop I like the idea (hands is the one part I can't bundle up) but man December 2017? I'll be surprised if it's not on aliexpress for $20-30 before then.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boiled Water posted:

i wish i could but there's a lower limit to how much cabbage i can buy

isn't cabbage is one of those foods you can binge on without ill effects

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mister Sinewave posted:

It's a couple halogen lamps that plug into the wall. As a person with a cold workshop I like the idea (hands is the one part I can't bundle up) but man December 2017? I'll be surprised if it's not on aliexpress for $20-30 before then.

tbf a wall-powered heater is exactly the sort of device you should probably never buy on aliexpress

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

maybe none for you, but the rest of the office will suffer your ill effects the next day

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you think massive farts and eventually diarrhea aren't an ill effect, i guess.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

if you think massive farts and eventually diarrhea aren't an ill effect, i guess.

the first half sounds great (pun intended) lol

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009
then my friend allow me to introduce you to the cabbage soup diet

look out here comes my *prrrp*

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

tbf a wall-powered heater is exactly the sort of device you should probably never buy on aliexpress

yeah, i'm sure bigclive has done teardowns of chinese heaters (aka firestarter deathtraps)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

This was pretty cool, rather large nixie tubes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL4ElboiuA

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

the packs are compostable themselves and you only need a maximum of six filters a year. I think it's a problem much more suited to economies of scale in large-scale compost collection, but making meat and dairy compostable is a genuine innovation that shuts down the hassle of sorting your food waste every time you clean a plate. shame about the price tho; hopefully like all kitchen kickstarters, a device 1/3 of the price hits the market a month before they ship.

i think the problem with a composting bin for millenials is more that the target audience probably lives in an apartment with maybe a balcony, and at least here if you have a house you can sign up for a really cheap extra trash can that is for lawn clippings and tree trimmings, or a repurposed trash can for $5 that you can compost with

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you live in an apartment what the hell are you going to do with compost?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

throw it in the trash presumably

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Synthbuttrange posted:

window planter

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Synthbuttrange posted:

dump it out the window onto people walking the street

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sweevo posted:

yeah, i'm sure bigclive has done teardowns of chinese heaters (aka firestarter deathtraps)

if not actual heaters he's certainly done plenty of horribly dangerous shite. a day or two ago i watched his teardown of a cheap chinese aqaurium bubbler / led lamp someone sent him to dissect after it killed an entire tank of fish

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Synthbuttrange posted:

don't some cities have compost collection separate from trash and recyclables?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

BobHoward posted:

if not actual heaters he's certainly done plenty of horribly dangerous shite. a day or two ago i watched his teardown of a cheap chinese aqaurium bubbler / led lamp someone sent him to dissect after it killed an entire tank of fish

chabuduo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

collections for compost, not collections of compost.

(i don't need to process all my garbage into compost before i give it to the garbage service to process into compost.)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Seattle has mandatory composting bins. if you put food into the trash and are caught (you won't be) you get some tiny fine.

I thought it was stupid until I learned that landfills are (supposed to be) sealed and any food just takes up space

having a little food bin I take out every other day is neat because now I have one bag of trash a month

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

wasnt this a thing back in the 90s.

like a vest u wear and it let u "feel" impacts from your snes/genesis games

i want to say it was called the activator but that was the sega thing

edit: the Aura Interactor

It was a thing in the early 2000's as well, back when haptics were trying to be the big trend with stuff like the Falcon. VR may make it a little more practical, but very few people are going to want a vest to play games still.
With the effort for VR, especially roomscale they're going to have a crazy limited audience. Headset tethers are inconvenient enough as is.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah, but like I posted, they all have really specific rules about what you can and cannot compost which lead to people not bothering or well-meaning people contaminating the piles. this thing is the single stream recycling of compost, which is cool and good

evilcat
May 16, 2009
What does your phone need? A case that does for the microphone what tape does for your webcam.
A 3D printer that has a nice layering effect and a random soundproof material. What soundproof material? Something. It'll be printable.
Like any project, it has some risks: from it won't work to "Apple gets mad and sends a scary letter" to "our 3D printer dies.
The solutions are just as good: They'll make a passive recording app to show their case works, they will ignore any legal issues ("gently caress the man!"), or refund if the 3D printer breaks.

In all fairness their old 3D printer and the lovely layering effect will probably make the risk of the case not feeling good to hold all too true. Somehow I imagine printing the cases would also be the most time consuming method of production and far more expensive than other methods.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
so there was a "Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega Plus Console" handheld on indiegogo to which indiegogo has recently shut off funding. the company behind it seems to be very defensive and litigious about inquiries according to this bbc article

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Clive Sinclair messed up again, he hasn't had a good track record ever since the ZX.

evilcat
May 16, 2009
Normally I try to make some sarcastic pitch poking fun at the kickstarters. This time, I give up. Make entertainment great again.
I can't top that. There is no sarcasm, joke, ridicule, or exaggeration i can make. The entire campaign has done every bit of it for me, ticked every box for either a scam or a resell and seems to be marketed via google translate and someone who does not speak English copying the most used words from CNN.
The rewards? Random lightning cables, some other bluetooth speaker, or you get to send them a video they will send in a projector to some random kid.
Luckily at the top tier this Australian company will give you a five day trip to China to be their first partner and meet the team.
Luckily it's a nice, portable, lightweight 550mL in weight, so you could take it home easily.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
barkley 2 livestream https://www.twitch.tv/togstudios

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/boboseye/eye-take-your-phone-to-the-next-level

It's literally an android phone taped onto an iPhone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost