Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

IronicDongz posted:

beogh felid wouldn't be very good
FR: new lair branch "the cattery" with felid enemies and the Capricious Rune of Zot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I do like the idea from a while ago where worshipping beogh just transforms you into an orc if you aren't one

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
I'm trying to decide between these two weapons that I have received for my Gargoyle Fighter of Okawaru.

EDIT: Didn't finish typing, oops.

I feel like the +10 is better overall, but is Draining really good? I feel like it probably sucks the further I go?

The -2 INT kind of sucks as I was developing my Necromancy so I could have skeleton buddies.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 4, 2017

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Draining is usually a better brand but I think +6 slaying and resists means the morningstar is better overall.

If you had 5 enchant weapon scrolls hanging about it might be a different story.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Why not both? Just switch between them as the situation dictates. Draining gives monsters a debuff and does extra negative damage, but the freezing morningstar will do more raw damage against enemies(on top of its good resists).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't know if the morningstar will actually do more damage on average than draining with higher speed. Might have to fsim it.

I would just use the morningstar out of a lack of willingness to switch weapons around a lot tbh

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
IIRC, isn't draining a percentage based damage brand? So the lower base damage of the dwhip would close some of the gap there.

But yeah, if you don't feel like switching, just do the morningstar. The damage difference probably isn't big enough to matter a whole lot, even though draining's secondary effects are nice.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
draining is 1/2 chance of doing an additional (dam/4 + 3) damage (on average), plus the HD debuff.

I will usually take it above other brands given equivalent weapons

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Deep Elf of Beogh would have an absolutely worthless first 2/3 of the game, and then you hop into Elf and become unstoppable

What I meant is anyone can get recruits of any of the playable races. It'd have to be rebalanced, but I think it would be a more interesting horde playstyle.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's a shame for the pain brand that the other two negative brands are both really good, kinda makes the god-brand less special.

The other four god brands don't have that kind of competition.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Darox posted:

It's a shame for the pain brand that the other two negative brands are both really good, kinda makes the god-brand less special.

The other four god brands don't have that kind of competition.
I wish Kiku and Yred were more viable in the lategame/extended. Recent changes have made lichform kind of bad, and pain brand doesn't work on most stuff by the time you get it going really well.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah, but airdropping in a bunch of corpses to make into simulacra is never bad, and Kiku gives torment resistance anyways. no need to bother with lich

yred is fairly bad in 15 but they're so so strong in 3 that I'm ok with that. at the very least you can still do some fun stuff with injury mirror/enslave soul

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I wish Kiku and Yred were more viable in the lategame/extended. Recent changes have made lichform kind of bad, and pain brand doesn't work on most stuff by the time you get it going really well.

Actually if you're going with a good Kiku build and are either lucky with acquirement or don't care about optimal weapon typing you can get a pain brand running by the end of lair with good necromancy, in time to do all of Orc/Triple S branches/Elf/Vaults/Depths/Zot.

It's just pretty disheartening to pain brand a weapon then find another copy of it that has vampirism.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I'm curious is Vampirism should be the Kiku brand and pain should be removed from generating at all, leaving Excruciating Wounds (which is also a spell Kiku worshippers are likely to get) as the only source of it. Vamp branding a weapon would definitely be a bit more of a competitive choice to the Necronomicon as a capstone god gift.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hot take: capstone one-off god gifts should be super-special rather than just a brand, kind of like how TSO hands out otherwise-undroppable blessed triple blades etc.

So what I'm saying is that Kiku's gift should probably give pain and vamp. Just to be special.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Combine the two into a single brand with damage and life drain dependant on necromancy. Excruciating wounds might be a little too good in that case, but if needed it could have a flayed/CoET-style hp cost while active. Also making the necromancy gods brand not be dependant on necromancy is bad imo.

It'd be a brutal nerf to Troglodytes but I think they will survive.

Serephina posted:

Hot take: capstone one-off god gifts should be super-special rather than just a brand, kind of like how TSO hands out otherwise-undroppable blessed triple blades etc.

So what I'm saying is that Kiku's gift should probably give pain and vamp. Just to be special.
Actually the only item TSO can give you that is unique is a trishula. Everything else you can acquire or loot. You can also find distortion weapons in the wild.

They're both more unique as brands though so they still make Kiku look bad.

Darox fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 4, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I took on basically all of O:2 in the open with a single use of WJC's ult, spinning around to keep it refreshed and kicking off a wall to confuse enemies. WJC owns.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Darox posted:

Combine the two into a single brand with damage and life drain dependant on necromancy. Excruciating wounds might be a little too good in that case, but if needed it could have a flayed/CoET-style hp cost while active. Also making the necromancy gods brand not be dependant on necromancy is bad imo.

It'd be a brutal nerf to Troglodytes but I think they will survive.
That'd be a nerf to any melee char that doesn't want more than a trivial investment in necro(to get regen online), aka 'most melee characters'.

It's honestly kind of weird to have one brand depend on your skills for damage when no other brand is that way. It makes Pain worthless most of the time, since you're either meleeing too hard to justify the Necro investment or not meleeing enough to justify the weapon skill/standing next to enemies while squishy cost. I wouldn't be too sad to see it turn into the negative energy version of elec.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Vampirism is a rare brand, so I don't think it would seriously harm too many characters besides Trog/Okawaru worshippers who get a lot of spare weapon gifts.

A weapon brand that combined pain and vampirism would be a pretty good carrot for melee necromancy investment, and there are other good attractions in the necromancy spell list like death channel and corpse armour. It'd be hard to justify for heavy armour users, but light/medium armour will still let you use those midlevel spells to help justify the investment. It also makes one of the few remaining charms spells more attractive outside of its narrow character type niche. Of course, you need the int and books to pull that kind of thing off even if you do find a vamp branded weapon and the brand falls off in extended, so you need to make choices about when and how far you commit to it.

I think the combination of pain and vampirism would force more interesting decisions on melee characters while making a god endcap ability more impactful.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Darius099 posted:

+4 demon whip of draining

A terrible weapon

Compared to that +10 morningstar with 2 pips of rCold and 1 of MR

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kiku provides piles of high HD corpses lategame and is quite viable. Poking things with a pain brand, not so much but by then you should have found some holy wrath thing to hit stuff with and that's really the only brand that matters by then.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Quickblade of Pain is still the best stabber weapon in the game, Kiku is worth it for that and branching into necromancy for stabbers.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Overconfidence is such a bitch. I got lazy and thought I was okay when I absolutely should have just peaced out with a teleport scroll :(

Oh well... it's the best I've done so far

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darius099 posted:

So for most of you guys, what's the ratio like of deaths to escapes with the orb?

I'm trying to get an idea how bad I am at running into walls full speed over here.

My winrate is 10.86%, with 95 wins out of 875 games. I played offline enough to manage a win before moving to online though.

fun fact: Over 100 of my deaths are mummies, and 67 of those deaths are from a single combo! MuAm is not good! :shepicide:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Darius099 posted:

So for most of you guys, what's the ratio like of deaths to escapes with the orb?

I'm trying to get an idea how bad I am at running into walls full speed over here.
13.40%, although I'm currently torpedoing it by being very bad at hybrids. Not just turning them all into generic Oka melee dudes is hard. :saddowns:

I'm really determined to win one of each background, even though that doesn't really mean as much as winning one of each race. Gotta get variety somewhere!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Darius099 posted:

Overconfidence is such a bitch. I got lazy and thought I was okay when I absolutely should have just peaced out with a teleport scroll :(

Oh well... it's the best I've done so far

Mate, if you're going for your first win, there's really no reason to go into Elf 3 as a melee character. Also, MiBe or MiFi is a fair bit easier than GrFi.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Yeah Trog and/or Okawaru are both good about giving you all you need as a melee guy. Elf:3 has its perks but you have to plan things a little more carefully now that there's elementalists making killholes less effective.

Just from the death screen though I can tell you that anytime there's more than 1 "high level" deep elf on screen it's usually a sign to gently caress off because things spiral out of control pretty quick unless you can kill them immediately. Death mage + any dangerous deep elf is bad, any demonologist protected by any amount of enemies is also bad (they'll summon deadly enemies like hell sentinels or brimstone fiends), etc. You can usually push your luck with annihilators and tab them because the odds are pretty low of them doing some crazy poo poo like "cast LCS and roll max damage twice in a row", but your health was way too low in that instance.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah Elf 3 does not mess around and is absolutely deadly. If you're ever facing more than 1 or 2 of the special elves at a time you've got to seriously consider disengaging somehow or start burning consumables/hulk out with abilities.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
OK I'm going to do my biannual dive back into dc:ss and I'm excited about this new version. What's the right character combo for me, a player who has never beat the game and only made it to Zot once in 7 years of playing?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
minotaur berserker or minotaur fighter of oka, or replace minotaur with hill orc or gargoyle

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Can't go wrong with minotaur berserkers, also paying a lot of attention to monster descriptions is more useful than ever.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
I can't seem to get a GrBe off the ground and it makes me want to throw a monitor through a window but of all things this GhMo of the Council is flowing like water through Lair so far and I feel awesome dancing around people slicing them up with claws.

I guess what I'm saying is the nerf is coming so enjoy it while you can

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Darox posted:

Vampirism is a rare brand, so I don't think it would seriously harm too many characters besides Trog/Okawaru worshippers who get a lot of spare weapon gifts.

A weapon brand that combined pain and vampirism would be a pretty good carrot for melee necromancy investment, and there are other good attractions in the necromancy spell list like death channel and corpse armour. It'd be hard to justify for heavy armour users, but light/medium armour will still let you use those midlevel spells to help justify the investment. It also makes one of the few remaining charms spells more attractive outside of its narrow character type niche. Of course, you need the int and books to pull that kind of thing off even if you do find a vamp branded weapon and the brand falls off in extended, so you need to make choices about when and how far you commit to it.

I think the combination of pain and vampirism would force more interesting decisions on melee characters while making a god endcap ability more impactful.

you guys are very, very badly underestimating how strong pain is for a 3-rune game

bad guys fuckin' melt

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
IME, it's more often correct to take pain brand than the necronomicon

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

apple posted:

Can't go wrong with minotaur berserkers, also paying a lot of attention to monster descriptions is more useful than ever.

Yeah, x/v everything that looks even remotely dangerous. (birds are dangerous)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Minotaur Berserker best bet, but if you want to try out a variety of gods, I recommend Hill Orcs Fighters with axes. They possess a lovely aptitude for invocations and can adapt to a large majority of early altars showing up outside of temple. I sometimes even go with faded altars (random god) but that might require more adaptation than you're ready for just getting back into things.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Frog Summoner of Ashenzari. I've previously had crap luck with weapons, but that's cleared up after clearing Elf:1 and Elf:2. I'm deliberating which weapon skill to train (and transfer) in while I poke around in the Vaults. I'm discarding off-hand the +4 antimagic executioner's axe and a +0 bardiche- even with skill boosting and transfering it'll be too much of an investment when I could instead focus on my defenses or summoning three hydras without going into starvation. I'm currently looking to get second opinions on what route to take, as well as a little casual bragging before I splat hard (out of !healing, not using any ?teleportation since I'm one short of the amount needed for a trove).

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/LordSloth/?file=LordSloth.txt

pre:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20-a0-821-g8f2c41c (webtiles) character file.

LordSloth the Demonologist (Barachian Summoner)    Turns: 46997, Time: 04:33:55

Health: 146/146    AC: 21    Str: 11    XL:     18   Next: 66%
Magic:  44/44      EV: 17    Int: 23    God:    Ashenzari [******]
Gold:   1016       SH: 17    Dex: 14    Spells: 6/43 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis +   a - +2 rapier (elec) (curse)
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   w - quicksilver dragon scales (curse)
rNeg     + . .     Faith    .   l - +4 shield {reflect} (curse)
rPois    .         Spirit   .   Y - +2 helmet of Faunupsi {*Drain rElec rF+ Stlth+} (curse)
rElec    +         Reflect  +   W - scarf {rC+} (curse)
rCorr    .         Harm     .   F - +0 pair of gloves
MR       +++..     Clarity  +   d - +2 pair of boots {run} (curse)
Stlth    ++++......             r - amulet of magic regeneration (curse)
Regen    0.4/turn               f - ring of Ylahutz {rN+ MR+ Int+2 Slay+1 SInv} (curse)
MPRegen  0.5/turn               E - ring of magical power

a - a cursed +2 rapier of electrocution (weapon)
 x - a +1 eveningstar of venom
 C - a +4 antimagic executioner's axe
 D - the +4 long sword of Disorder {venom, +Blink MR+ MP+9 Stlth+}
   (You took it off a deep elf archer on level 1 of the Elven Halls)   
 K - the +10 lajatang of Iconoclasm {drain, rElec}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 1 of the Elven Halls)   
  O - a +5 scimitar of freezing
 V - a +2 scimitar of holy wrath
 Z - a +5 vampiric quick blade

Magical Staves
 L - a cursed staff of power
So, if I stick with shortblades, I have the rapier of electrocution which I could swap with a scimitar for more damage. Or, I could just curse the vampiric quickblade since I won't be swapping anyways. In that case, my spare xp could go to just enough stealth for a few more distraction stabs if I'm guessing the mechanics right. The long sword of disorder is surprisingly attractive with the extra MP.

I scavenged the eveningstar off a unique earlier, and had attempted to ?brand weapon it into something useful (it was plain), but venom isn't that. It's still a nice blunt weapon however.

I probably cannot utilize the staff of power with all my hunger issues, though one-turn chunk eating is a huge help. I sadly wasted a scroll of acquirement on weapons earlier, so I'm lacking a staff of summoning. And finally, the Lajatang is the shiniest weapon and I don't have any Enchant Weapon scrolls whatsoever. I'd have to ditch the shield, but I wouldn't mind, especially since I have a scarf of repulsion, and could probably pick up deflect missiles easily if I find a book for it.

As for spells, I've previously picked up the book of beasts (hydra in shoals is nice, but not nice enough for me to mess with Mara), grand grimoire, and the book of summonings (aura of abjuration and summon demon might replace the now useless ice beast as my staple 'don't starve' summons).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I'd stick with the rapier and work on defenses/spc as needed, not much won't die to elec rapier + hydrae.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Trip report: escaped with the Orb and three runes for my first win ever, bringing my win rate up to an impressive 0.44%.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Buane/morgue-Buane-20170304-170437.txt

code:
1767954 Buane the Conqueror (level 27, 273/273 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Berserker on Mar 4, 2017.
             Was a High Priest of Trog.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 05:30:30 (66875 turns).

Buane the Conqueror (Minotaur Berserker)           Turns: 66875, Time: 05:30:31

Health: 273/273    AC: 50    Str: 28      XL:     27
Magic:  34/34      EV: 23    Int:  3 (8)  God:    Trog [*****.]
Gold:   2604       SH:  0    Dex: 17      Spells: 26/26 levels left

rFire    + + .     SeeInvis .   J - +9 battleaxe of Qicy {vamp, rElec}
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   s - +9 gold dragon scales
rNeg     . . .     Faith    +   (shield currently unavailable)
rPois    +         Spirit   .   O - +1 hat
rElec    +         Reflect  .   q - +0 cloak {MR+}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   z - +5 pair of gloves "Haeracuf" {rElec}
MR       ++++.                  H - +2 pair of boots of the Assassin {Detection Stab+ Stlth++}
Stlth    ..........             S - amulet of faith
Regen    0.6/turn               Q - ring of Guumer {rF+ MR+ Int+4}
MPRegen  0.3/turn               c - +6 ring of slaying

@: slightly contaminated, hasted, very quick
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2, high mp 2, screaming 1, MP-powered wands
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer
a: Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Burn Spellbooks, Renounce Religion
Ok, ok, so MiBe I know, but feels good to get one under my belt. In my defense, it's only my 12th game as a Berserker as I could tell when I first started playing it was relatively easy/simplistic.

Brief shoutout to the floor gods, who decided not to bless me with a single item with rN+ in the entire game, save for a lovely randart ringmail and broad axe, and LITERALLY two flavors of amulets over the entirety of the run, faith and regeneration. Trog gifted me so, so, so many tomahawks...I even cleared Elf3 and jumped briefly into a Ziggurat in hopes of finding SOMETHING with rN+ or a not useless amulet. On top of that, the only hat I found the entire run was a simple vanilla +1.

Of course on the other hand, there was that time I got banished to the abyss and started in view of the exit & a set of gold dragon scales. Anyway, MiBe is now proven easy enough for me to win it, even with curse toes and poo poo in Zot dealing ~120 damage against no rNeg whatsoever. I hope to never experience that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

LordSloth posted:

As for spells, I've previously picked up the book of beasts (hydra in shoals is nice, but not nice enough for me to mess with Mara), grand grimoire, and the book of summonings (aura of abjuration and summon demon might replace the now useless ice beast as my staple 'don't starve' summons).
Summon Forest is very strong in any relatively closed room you can use it in, angry trees are both numerous and hit like a truck.

• Locked thread