Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anidav posted:

I don't mean to sound racist but the black horses run much faster than all the other coloured horses I've found.

4 star speed.

I want to find the perfect horse but I don't know what it looks like.

The black horses go really fast though. There is probably a unicorn somewhere with perfect stats.

Buy the original link Amiibo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
That's cheating I bet these fuckface game designers hid a golden horse somewhere in here

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I hooked up my Switch to a 720p TV which supports 1:1 pixel mapping using a HDMI to VGA adapter.

Graphics are great. Dunno why I can disable the 900p upscale though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anidav posted:

I don't mean to sound racist but the black horses run much faster than all the other coloured horses I've found.

4 star speed.

I want to find the perfect horse but I don't know what it looks like.

The black horses go really fast though. There is probably a unicorn somewhere with perfect stats.

If you listen to what the Stablemaster says, he points out that mottled or mixed-coloured horses tend to be easier to tame, but have lower stats. Purebreed horses that have only one colour are much harder to tame but come with the perk of having much higher stats. I tamed a horse that was black with mottled white fur on it's back and it literally calmed down after soothing it once. It was slow as gently caress though. The next one I tamed was a pure black one and it was an absolute nightmare to tame. Kept bucking me off. Once I'd tamed it, it was a little shithead for a solid hour or two until our bond got to the point where he'd stop trying to turn the wrong way.

I'ma go for a pure grey horse next and hope the stats are good. I wanna nab me a 5 star one if possible. Oh and another thing: mixed colour horses usually have calm (or some other sappy adjective) temperament, whereas the solid coloured horses have wild, so it takes a hell of a lot longer to make them stop doing the annoying poo poo.

I've got two poo poo horses in the stable that I keep for dangerous missions. If I think they might die (like when I go to face Guardians) I take the crap horses. That way if they die or I have to abandon them, I don't really care much. I keep my black horse for non-dangerous stuff cause I love him too much. I wish I could deck him out in armour though so we could stomp monsters together.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

My hot take on the Switch so far is that it's gimped as a TV console because it's spec'd to be a handheld, yet it only has like 3 hours of battery life so what's the point. Therefore it's not great at being either one. I hope time proves me wrong but man Zelda ain't even runnin' at 1080p and gets slowdown in TV mode. I'm perfectly happy to just leave this thing docked and only use it as a TV console but it's sad to see that games might not run as well on that mode. Even the home menu is 720p.

Oh also the joycons are rear end. Good thing I picked up a way overpriced pro controller.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Almost all the Targets in Cleveland got more in overnight. The one I went to had about 10 of each at 8:30.

Also, I can't taste the bitter cartridge coating. They taste like nothing, just plain plastic. I asked my wife to try it and now she's pissed and thinks I tricked her and doesn't believe I can't taste it.

Am I going to die?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

my new dog posted:

hey does anyone itt know how large the (day one) system update is? due to reasons i cant connect to the wifi here and no built in ethernet soo its gonna have to be mobile

Its super tiny. By the time I had logged into the system it was done. I think I just flips to digital switches. You are good to go on mobile.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lmao who actually goes 3+ hours on battery life with their 3DS? The only time I run low on battery is on a long plane ride. Like the one I'm taking tomorrow. gently caress!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

So yeah, the left joycon... keeps getting stuck moving me in one direction. Kind of a bummer. :-/

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Might be worth getting a battery bank or two. They're not overly expensive nowadays and it could add a solid 4 or 5 hours to your playtime. That'd be one of my first purchases if I actually used the Switch out and about.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Switch Impressions:

- The thing is sturdy and feels good to hold. As others have said it's surprisingly small even KNOWING it was going to be surprisingly small. I'm impressed.
- The dock is also surprisingly small, but feels flimsy. It's fine for a carryon bag but I'd be worried about the lip part snapping if I put it in luggage that's going to get tossed around below the plane.
- Joycons are cool and feel very comfortable even for my large hands. Only thing is it's a bit awkward to hit the buttons on the left joycon but if those are the "dpad" counterparts I assume you don't switch between those and the stick too often.
- Detaching the joycons feels bad. I wish the release button was a bit lower; the way it's right under the "lip" makes it awkward to press them in while also applying enough pressure to pull out the joycon. I feel like to get enough leverage I'm squeezing the Switch in ways that make me unhappy.
- Kickstand feels flimsy, and why is it located so far on the side? It's useless even on my mattress, you need to put something hard like a book or a carrying case under it or it just falls over.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

akadajet posted:

So yeah, the left joycon... keeps getting stuck moving me in one direction. Kind of a bummer. :-/

Yeah this is a real problem for me, too. There's nowhere closer for me to put the dock that doesn't obscure my view of the TV.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

akadajet posted:

I had this same problem either.

After playing with it for a while it does stop, just got to break it in.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Tender Bender posted:

Switch Impressions:

- The thing is sturdy and feels good to hold. As others have said it's surprisingly small even KNOWING it was going to be surprisingly small. I'm impressed.
- The dock is also surprisingly small, but feels flimsy. It's fine for a carryon bag but I'd be worried about the lip part snapping if I put it in luggage that's going to get tossed around below the plane.
- Joycons are cool and feel very comfortable even for my large hands. Only thing is it's a bit awkward to hit the buttons on the left joycon but if those are the "dpad" counterparts I assume you don't switch between those and the stick too often.
- Detaching the joycons feels bad. I wish the release button was a bit lower; the way it's right under the "lip" makes it awkward to press them in while also applying enough pressure to pull out the joycon. I feel like to get enough leverage I'm squeezing the Switch in ways that make me unhappy.
- Kickstand feels flimsy, and why is it located so far on the side? It's useless even on my mattress, you need to put something hard like a book or a carrying case under it or it just falls over.

This is literally what I was typing, thanks for saving me the effort.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone attached the wrist straps? It feels like you're going to snap off the plastic tabs on the Joycon.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lying on my bed I got left joycon issues just messing around the menu. Things I observed:

- Wrapping my fingers around the joycon (over the part that connects to the Switch) could make it worse.
- Lowering it to my side made it worse: not sure if my legs stretched in front of me were blocking it or what.
- Moving blankets, etc out of the way helped marginally but it seemed to be my legs/fingers that were the main obstacles. This is in line with what people have theorized about water/the human body being a Bluetooth interference source.

The right joycon has almost no issues under similar circumstances... So Nintendo can make joycons that work, they just did something different with the left one. If it's a hardware issue maybe we'll see mass effort to replace all left joycons with new versions that match the guts of the right, but the issue isn't SO severe that I think they'll do that. More likely left joycons that hit shelves later this year will magically not have the issue, and early adopters get hosed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My preordered switch is indeed borked.

Here's an awesome thing: I have to replay the first 3 hours of a Zelda game and I'm looking forward to it!

If anyone is still looking for a switch, I just ordered one from hhgregg, they still have both SKUs available for delivery on some areas.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

hey welcome to the show! posted:

This is literally what I was typing, thanks for saving me the effort.

No problem man please close your eyes and focus hard to send any other impressions my way.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

Kickstand being flimsy is all good. Nintendo figured a lot of people would forget to tuck it in before putting it in the dock, leaving them with a broken kickstand. So the way it works now is it can be popped in and out. It's basically impossible to break the kickstand that way.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also, lots of talking about Zelda specifics ITT.

If I may,

KNOCK IT THE gently caress OFF !!

Spoiler tag everything or take it to the Zelda thread please.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Botw story time. (no spoilers)

I was in the process of taming a beautiful white horse with a black main and literally spent 20 minutes sneaking around the fucker because it kept trotting away, also something that I've noticed is that when the monsters and animals are sniffing they can actually smell you if your down wind witch rules and is cool, but anyway, I had just got it pinned down and jumped on its back only to get kicked off, which was not a problem but I got kicked next to a watcher which proceeded to wake up and blast me into oblivion... the cool horse despawned ...

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

The Bloop posted:

Also, lots of talking about Zelda specifics ITT.

If I may,

KNOCK IT THE gently caress OFF !!

Spoiler tag everything or take it to the Zelda thread please.

Sorry, last one I promise

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey yall, the switch is good.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I think framerate nerds might be just repurposed delusional audiophiles.

Zelda looks fantastic on my bigass TV.
I don't know if you're blind or what but the frame rate drop is noticeable when using the dock. Especially jarring coming from a 144hz set up. It wouldn't be so bad if it maintained 60 frames per second or even 30 fps.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It's noticeable to me but in the same way as bloodborne not detracting from the game experience. Someday in the distant future in my switch 3.0 I hope to play the 60 fps hd botw remake same as bloodborne but for now I'm enjoying it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

I don't know if you're blind or what but the frame rate drop is noticeable when using the dock. Especially jarring coming from a 144hz set up. It wouldn't be so bad if it maintained 60 frames per second or even 30 fps.

I too blinded by the controller not being responsive to see any fps issues.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

Zelda also chugs like a motherfucker on my big-rear end TV.

Heck yeah, she can down 'em worse than Ganon himself

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dehry posted:

Has anyone attached the wrist straps? It feels like you're going to snap off the plastic tabs on the Joycon.

I thought the same and I looked into it and apparently you are also supposed to pull on the small white tabs.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Rabid Snake posted:

nerrrrrd

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Is there any issue with essentially never truly powering down the Switch, and instead always putting it in sleep mode? Picking up the Switch and being able to immediately pop into Zelda feels so slick, but I worry about "sleep" modes accidentally creating a huge amount of heat or being otherwise inefficient. I seem to remember the Wii having an issue with that Wii Connect 24, or whatever it was called, causing systems to overheat overnight.

I wish I could figure out how to make the joy cons comfortable in my hands. It feels pretty good in the dock, but if I have them separated from the console in the switch itself it feels pretty awkward. Looks like I'll be ordering a pro controller.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
As someone who's only finished the First Zelda (On the Famicom Disk System no less) and Link Between Worlds, I'm really getting into BOTW.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
So is the synch issue in Zelda people are running into where you're, say, using the magnet and while using it your cursor veers right or left on its own? I ran into that this morning and had to recalibrate the left joycon. Super annoying.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I am somewhat baffled that apparently Nintendo managed to miss out on the desync issue for so long. Did they not stress test the reception at all?

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

The Bloop posted:

If anyone is still looking for a switch, I just ordered one from hhgregg, they still have both SKUs available for delivery on some areas.

I could kiss you on the lips right now, sir.

Seriously, thanks!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Yeah. If you go to the "calibrate control sticks" menu you can clearly see when it's not connected well. For me it happens when I hold the controller in my lap bc I assume my massive dong is attenuating the signal.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Another thought: $90 for an extra dock is loving highway robbery. It's a USB hub with an hdmi port. It doesn't have any bells and whistles and FEELS like a cheap pack-in. $45 would still be hard to swallow, even accounting for the price bump that proprietary stuff gets. $90 is absurd.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

For anyone thinking of buying a switch. I'd hold off until the controller issue gets resolved.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
This teardown shows that the right controller (red) has an "NFC antenna and IR hardware" while the blue does not

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Pureauthor posted:

I am somewhat baffled that apparently Nintendo managed to miss out on the desync issue for so long. Did they not stress test the reception at all?

Welcome to the world of Known Shippable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The switch is definitely a portable and I love it

• Locked thread