Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

FoiledShenanigans posted:

Valks move list suggests the spear sweep only works in those 2 combos. But what actually allows you to use it? I've randomly done it at other times but I have no idea what triggers it. I remember a video posted before the patch had a guy doing it after her dash forward light. But so far I've not managed that consistently myself. Anyone all about the spear lady know?

I play her a lot but I can only ever include it as the third piece of any combo.

Usually light light sweep, or heavy GB sweep - I love that one, since you can cancel the heavy into the GB and follow up that way.

I've seen it busted out with less precursors so I'm curious, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

FoiledShenanigans posted:

Valks move list suggests the spear sweep only works in those 2 combos. But what actually allows you to use it? I've randomly done it at other times but I have no idea what triggers it. I remember a video posted before the patch had a guy doing it after her dash forward light. But so far I've not managed that consistently myself. Anyone all about the spear lady know?

Its the end of any combo and lots of stuff starts combos with her. Any of the dash moves can count as the first move in a combo, so one more poke and you can sweep.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

DarkDobe posted:

I play her a lot but I can only ever include it as the third piece of any combo.

Usually light light sweep, or heavy GB sweep - I love that one, since you can cancel the heavy into the GB and follow up that way.

I've seen it busted out with less precursors so I'm curious, too.

You can do it after a shield smash, too.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
Anyone have tips for "Superior Block Light Attacks", specifically for the Valk?

It seems to have a very, very small window for it to work out and I've been having a real hard time incorporating it into my skillset. On paper it looks like its a great skill since you get the block and strike at the same time, like a faster dodge-strike, but its very unreliable for me. What's the timing needed for it? I've been treating it like a parry in terms of watching for the red flashing but it very inconsistent.

Edit: you can also GB, headbutt -> leg sweep to get a heavy strike in but it seems like a lot of work for that reward.

Sivlan fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 3, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sivlan posted:

Anyone have tips for "Superior Block Light Attacks", specifically for the Valk?

It seems to have a very, very small window for it to work out and I've been having a real hard time incorporating it into my skillset. On paper it looks like its a great skill since you get the block and strike at the same time, like a faster dodge-strike, but its very unreliable for me. What's the timing needed for it? I've been treating it like a parry in terms of watching for the red flashing but it very inconsistent.

From my limited experience, it seems like you need to give it a little more time than the regular parry, i.e. trigger it somewhat earlier. A regular parry is only dependent on hitting it during the right moment of the enemy's attack. But for the superior block your own attack animation needs to wind up to a certain point first, so that both it and the enemy attack overlap at just the right moment.

But anyhow, I'm not sure if it's something that's worth actively going for most of the time. If you see the attack coming from far enough away to nail the superior block, you can also just go for a regular parry instead, which generally carries a better reward. I guess the one situation where I could see it come in useful is if you find yourself up against somebody who's very feint-happy. If you use it instead of a parry against a feinted attack, you should be not nearly as punishable than if you'd tried to parry it. It'll even protect you from people feinting into GB.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

flashman posted:

I don't think a game that has 20k concurrent players 2 weeks from release needs to worry about esports status

That's pc though, all pc multiplayer games die quick after release pretty much its the way its always been. PS4 still has like 60,000 people online in the dead of the night at 2 am let alone whatever the numbers are during primetime.

Also as for the competitive stuff people are talking about, 1v1 is always the most interesting to me as its simply where the most skill is. That's my background as a fighting game guy though. 4v4 to me is fun to play and mess around in but I could never, ever take it seriously playing it "for real".

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Indecisive posted:

it was a bug that was patched out (on PC anyway, console can probably do it), it was only on the dodge right you could do a top 'heavy' that did light damage and was super fast and also feintable.

God forbid the kensei should have a move that doesn't move at the speed of loving refrigerator delivery. I guess I'll stop trying to figure out how to do it and switch to Warden.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

FisheyStix posted:

God forbid the kensei should have a move that doesn't move at the speed of loving refrigerator delivery. I guess I'll stop trying to figure out how to do it and switch to Warden.

You should switch, there is no current plan to make the Kensei any better. I still stand firm Kensei is currently now the worst class in the game.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

You should switch, there is no current plan to make the Kensei any better. I still stand firm Kensei is currently now the worst class in the game.

I wouldn't say that. Anecdotally, I just got Kensei to prestige 1 and have a p high win rate with him.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

I wouldn't say that. Anecdotally, I just got Kensei to prestige 1 and have a p high win rate with him.

My win rate in duels with Kensei stands at 79% over 100+ duels at retail(plus whatever I had in the betas) I only get that cause I generally outplay people no thanks to anything in particular with the class.

- Top block beats everything they have because top light is their only good move. They have the slowest side lights in the game and no amount of feinting is going to fool better players because if you feint and going in any other direction but top, you can easily on reaction stop the side lights. Even Shugoki's are faster.
- On top of slowest side dash attack which can be blocked sometimes even in a punish situation due to its speed, all side dash lights give guaranteed guardbreak to foe that you cannot tech.
- The range/parry stuff was nice, until anyone whose good figured out their long range punishes on parries.

*ed*

One of the few nice things was the glitched side right dash, light, top heavy which had the unblockables animation and hit much faster than a normal heavy which is taken out in the newest patch.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 3, 2017

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Player count != Healthy esports. Anime fighting games have like no concurrent users but they still have tournaments and a healthy scene.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Keegers posted:

Player count != Healthy esports. Anime fighting games have like no concurrent users but they still have tournaments and a healthy scene.

Also true enough, Guilty Gear already at the point where if you want real fights you have to hang out in Discord and manage there because you ain't gonna get much just looking for fights ingame, yet always has a healthy tournament presence and is generally the biggest game at any given tournament not called Street Fighter or Smash bros.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Anyone else ever get a really annoying bug where you can't heavy attack out of guard stance?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

can someone explain to me how to play Warlord? I played my first match today (and won, but only because they were worse than I was) with him and had 0 clue how he is supposed to operate

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Spam headbutt and abuse guardbreak against weaker players.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Gear really fucks up dominion good. It's just awful.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

So apparently the guardbreak the berserker gets from its dodge parry is not the same as a normal guardbreak as your side heavy can get blocked from it, only a light is guaranteed.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
The best way to use your berserker deflect GB is either feint a heavy and do a real GB (very spicy) or throw him into a wall and top heavy. Really 90% of the Berserker flow chart ends with throwing him into a wall and using top heavy.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Gear really fucks up dominion good. It's just awful.
I usually stick to vs. AI so wading into Dominion proper was a loving nightmare. Fighting people where you can't even get through a single chain before they explode in yellow and rip you in half. :unsmigghh: Wish they'd made the event cover AI dominion too.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I've been hard crashing between rounds ever since the patch. I was just winning my first ever 1v1 against a Warlord and it crashed. I hate this loving game why does the gameplay have to be so loving good to make me wade through all the bullshit that is getting to that gameplay.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
Something odd that bothers me about their matchmaking: since you can't change your character choice in the middle of the round, why don't they make you lock-in your selection before kicking off matchmaking?

The process would go, "Pick game type -> Pick character -> wait for match making results -> Play". If you are in a group of friends, "Pick game type -> Everyone picks a character -> Wait for match making results -> Wreck the other team."

I'm thinking a lot of the bad matchup issues are a result of "You are a level 5 account, but you have five level 1 characters" vs "You are a level 5 account and you have sperged on Orochi the whole time."

Hell, with pre-locking your characters before the matchmaking search, it would even account for the Brawl situation of, "I really want to play Orochi but the other guy beat me to it and now I can't pick that so I'll wait for the match to start and quit."

I dunno, the current flow is just weird with the assumption they want (1) gear to matter and (2) games to be balanced.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

played dominion because of this dumb loving event

i love the part at the end of the game where you have to waste 4 loving minutes chasing around two peacekeepers when you're up 1000 points and they just refuse to fight so they game just goes on until the clock ends. it is super fun and good game design.

(the 8 player modes in this game are worthless)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I blame PKs existing more than dominion in those cases, because they are legitimately the worst class to interact with in any way in this whole game.

Also got my mythic zerker outfit, the lightning on emotes and executions is :black101: as hell, easily the best effect imo, with cherry blossoms second.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

I blame PKs existing more than dominion in those cases, because they are legitimately the worst class to interact with in any way in this whole game.

Also got my mythic zerker outfit, the lightning on emotes and executions is :black101: as hell, easily the best effect imo, with cherry blossoms second.
nah, i have zero problem with pk or any of the other assassins in modes that don't suck poo poo.

revenge mode is dumb gear is dumb all the 8 player modes may as well not exist

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

My win rate in duels with Kensei stands at 79% over 100+ duels at retail(plus whatever I had in the betas) I only get that cause I generally outplay people no thanks to anything in particular with the class.

- Top block beats everything they have because top light is their only good move. They have the slowest side lights in the game and no amount of feinting is going to fool better players because if you feint and going in any other direction but top, you can easily on reaction stop the side lights. Even Shugoki's are faster.
- On top of slowest side dash attack which can be blocked sometimes even in a punish situation due to its speed, all side dash lights give guaranteed guardbreak to foe that you cannot tech.
- The range/parry stuff was nice, until anyone whose good figured out their long range punishes on parries.

*ed*

One of the few nice things was the glitched side right dash, light, top heavy which had the unblockables animation and hit much faster than a normal heavy which is taken out in the newest patch.

I agree, he's pretty bad all round, and is completely reliant on core mechanics and mistakes from the opponent. He's really good at crushing newbies, but when you start to get into higher brackets with players who understand their fundamentals and can counter GB reliably, it's crazy difficult to get anything done with Kensei. Alphastrike6 is ridiculously good with him, but he's often commented when he gets bodied by a super defensive player that "that is how you beat a Kensei, just turtle." Can't help but agree, if someone is patient and goes full defense/parry mode, they shut down Kensei completely.

I reckon just increasing the speed on his side lights and not making his side dash light so punishable would go a long way to helping him out. Once you get into his combo strings he's fine, but at this point he has like zero aggression to open anyone up. Too easy to be defensive.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

cams posted:

nah, i have zero problem with pk or any of the other assassins in modes that don't suck poo poo.

PK makes every mode suck poo poo tho

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
I'm trying to level up my nobushi and boy peacemakers able to casually trot away from every single one of my attacks sure is fun.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm trying to level up my nobushi and boy peacemakers able to casually trot away from every single one of my attacks sure is fun.

ymmv, but I've been having this problem a lot and saw this video last night and today I've had very few issues with em 1v1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0IDM0khJ-I

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 4, 2017

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

So I started playing conquer and he doesn't seem like a heavy hitter? Am I missing something my charged heavy does like 40 dmg

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Keegers posted:

So I started playing conquer and he doesn't seem like a heavy hitter? Am I missing something my charged heavy does like 40 dmg

It's got massive range and comes out as quick as a light after you bring it up to speed.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Got the long dick of the law to renown 3, what should I pick up next, shugoki, the other big man?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Jade Mage posted:

Got the long dick of the law to renown 3, what should I pick up next, shugoki, the other big man?

go warlord, he also throws people for days but he's also OP so he makes people irrationally angry

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Charging a Shugoki unblockable (which you can cancel CRAZY late, for some reason) to trade with a Warden charge or whatever for 50% of their HP never, ever gets old. Also doing Side Light xx Headbutt over & over until they work out 'No, I don't give a poo poo about your little mixup'.

E: Play the fat man. He is The Best.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I wanted to try one of the roguish classes, and when I discovered the dagger cancel and riposte for Peacekeeper, I knew that's what I wanted to do. I'm not great with the class, but she can be such a fucker when you do something like a grab-to-double-stab-to-cancel-kick into a hazard or a wall for follow-up attacks.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How's the Valkyrie after buffs? They still haven't dropped on consoles, but she's pretty underwhelming pre-buff. Her leg sweep spam is pretty annoying though.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Valkyrie is really good at being annoying but that's about it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Her high level armor looks cool as heck

Saw some dude with maxed gear with the black texture thing and he looked boss

Is there anyplace I can see the rare armor sets anywhere?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How's the Valkyrie after buffs? They still haven't dropped on consoles, but she's pretty underwhelming pre-buff. Her leg sweep spam is pretty annoying though.

She went from dead last to solid mid-tier, nowhere near Warden or PK but decent enough. I really liked her moveset already before, she just didn't do any damage with it.

Also you still get to feel like a unique snowflake, I barely see any other Valks even after the buffs.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Double Bill posted:

She went from dead last to solid mid-tier, nowhere near Warden or PK but decent enough. I really liked her moveset already before, she just didn't do any damage with it.

Also you still get to feel like a unique snowflake, I barely see any other Valks even after the buffs.

Yeah I've seen about two outside AI matches.

So what are some good choices in the defensive meta? Obviously Warden, Warlord, and PK are good. I see a lot of Shugoki and surprisingly Kensei too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well they're nerfing conqueror so supposedly he is very good