Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

IllegallySober posted:

I recognize that this is not normal behavior, but it’s become normal to me in part because it’s not a purely Epicurean pursuit. We live in a labyrinthian apartment complex that’s defeated its share of drivers, yielding a few “Please come to the front gate” submissions and more calls and texts begging for instructions.
I didn't think it was possible, but these two sentences doubled how smug the writer sounded.

quote:

Did I walk back in and grab a dozen to go? I think you know me better than that by now, dear reader. I called Adam and asked him to look up the bar on Postmates.
And this tripled it. Oh yes, dear writer, I'm truly in awe of how you were too goddamned lazy to walk back into the bar. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

IllegallySober posted:

This isn't as bad as some of the security clearance ones but after the third time my jaw physically dropped I knew I needed to post it here. The whole thing is lengthy but here's some high points.

:wtc: Who can afford that? She must be a trust fund baby or something.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DarkHorse posted:

Also in general lying is a much worse offense than the offense itself in the eyes of the people that need to trust you with valuable information. See the people denied clearances not because they did drugs or had felonies or debt or bad associations in the past, but lied about them. This guy may have been hoping this fell under that umbrella.

It just so happens that the Feds are ALSO worried about signs of impaired judgment or compromising info, which plotting to murder your wife's paramour and rubbing one out at work or in your car definitely falls under.

I must say that was a surprise ending though, some real M Night Shyalaman poo poo out of left field :stare:

How would they ever know that he masturbated 30 times in his car between 1999 and 2003 if he didn't tell them? He could have never mentioned it or lied.

Also, I like that his count of how many times he masturbated, undetected, in his office at work is "about six."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

IllegallySober posted:

This isn't as bad as some of the security clearance ones but after the third time my jaw physically dropped I knew I needed to post it here. The whole thing is lengthy but here's some high points.

https://theringer.com/postmates-caviar-los-angeles-32e0edfb4c06#.aniyexhlk

You left out the worst part to me. Two of the places she regularly ordered from were literally down the street. :psyduck:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You left out the worst part to me. Two of the places she regularly ordered from were literally down the street. :psyduck:

I really wanted to just quote the whole article. There's a ton of stuff in there that floored me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm having flashbacks to the Companies Circling The Drain Thread(I think?), where food & grocery delivery came up and goons were acting like it was a herculian effort to go to the grocery store.

Except in this case it's not goonish sloth, it's terrible work-life balance(and also goonish sloth):

quote:

Some might wonder how we could possibly forego soaking up the vibrant, fragrant atmosphere (and, as importantly, the assorted mezcal), but we don’t look at it that way: I’ve got stories to edit, and programs to watch, and a cat to love. My default position is “I’m not leaving my home.” More often than not, it’s not a matter of eating here vs. eating there; it’s a matter of eating here vs. not eating at all. This technology has allowed me to discover pieces of L.A. that the basic rhythms of my life might otherwise not.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

monster on a stick posted:

:wtc: Who can afford that? She must be a trust fund baby or something.

Sounds like standard workaholic yuppie behaviour to me.

Spending 12 hours a day at the office + constantly checking your e-mail in case you need to be called back in whenever doesn't allow a lot of time to do anything else. (Until you burn out, and get crushed by the debt you have accumulated).

:911:, and increasingly :australia:.

Source: Australian with yuppie banker uncle, who constantly moves house and buys a new car every few months.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 4, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How would they ever know that he masturbated 30 times in his car between 1999 and 2003 if he didn't tell them? He could have never mentioned it or lied.

Also, I like that his count of how many times he masturbated, undetected, in his office at work is "about six."

The might ask have you ever masturbated at work. Have you ever masturbated in public. In a box? With a fox? On a train? In the rain?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Facebook Aunt posted:

The might ask have you ever masturbated at work. Have you ever masturbated in public. In a box? With a fox? On a train? In the rain?

With a goat? On a boat? In a house? With a mouse? In a car? At a bar? With your spouse? With a louse?

I will beat it with a goat!
I will beat it on a boat!
I will beat it in a house!
I will beat it with a mouse!
And in a box, and with a fox,
and on a train, and in the rain,
It feels so good so good you see!

So I will beat it in a car!
I will beat it at a bar!
I will beat it with my spouse!
I will beat it with a louse!
I will beat it here and there!
Say, I will beat it anywhere!

I do so like to beat it, Fed You Said,
I will beat it till it's red!

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 4, 2017

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Sounds like standard workaholic yuppie behaviour to me.

Spending 12 hours a day at the office + constantly checking your e-mail in case you need to be called back in whenever doesn't allow a lot of time to do anything else. (Until you burn out, and get crushed by the debt you have accumulated).

:911:, and increasingly :australia:.

Source: Australian with yuppie banker uncle, who constantly moves house and buys a new car every few months.

She sounds like the kind of person that needs to be removed from their hovel with a crane. Now I'm thinking of Benchwarmers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFr2mLg-aTI

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Notice how in the Postmates article her husband places every order? She tries to tell us that it's "eat delivered food at home or don't eat all", but I can guarantee that if her husband didn't punch in the order for her, whatever mental illness she has will not let her place her order, and it will be "don't eat at all"-

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If she doesn't place the order she can pretend she's not paying $100 for two sandwiches, chips, and two sodas.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If she doesn't place the order she can pretend she's not paying $100 for two sandwiches, chips, and two sodas.

AND TWO MEATBALLS

actually that confused me, are they meatball subs? are these orders for 4 sandwiches?

peak DINK BWM behavior

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 4, 2017

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Volmarias posted:

With a goat? On a boat? In a house? With a mouse? In a car? At a bar? With your spouse? With a louse?

I will beat it with a goat!
I will beat it on a boat!
I will beat it in a house!
I will beat it with a mouse!
And in a box, and with a fox,
and on a train, and in the rain,
It feels so good so good you see!

So I will beat it in a car!
I will beat it at a bar!
I will beat it with my spouse!
I will beat it with a louse!
I will beat it here and there!
Say, I will beat it anywhere!

I do so like to beat it, Fed You Said,
I will beat it till it's red!

Hahahha this is awesome. I'm imagining the guy's interview was similar to Moe on the lie detector. Except Moe had enough dignity to ogle the Sears catalog in the privacy of home.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

I want to know more about free bottles of herb infused rum.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mama_Juana

Rumored by Dominicans to give you sexual powers.

In reality I never encountered any that didn't taste like cough medicine, and I never felt any more "potent."

Basically put a bunch of sticks, bark, leaves, and honey in a bottle of rum and let it sit.

Bad with alcohol, imo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A little bit of alcohol makes everybody better at fuckin'

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BraveUlysses posted:

AND TWO MEATBALLS

actually that confused me, are they meatball subs? are these orders for 4 sandwiches?

They are probably large single meatballs. I've seen that at some restaurants I have physically entered and eaten at.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Hoooo boy, I can't get too specific but I found out today why film budgets are a top secret thing in Hollywood. One of my buddies is a production accountant at one of the big studios. Over lunch today he told me a director got away with billing the studio $300k for private pilates classes over a 8 month period for his wife. The auditor flagged it but for some reason it was OK'd by corporate anyway. In the end the studio took a loss on the movie.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Delivery Fuckwit's mantlepiece is stuffed with no less than 18 loving Funko Popo figures because OF COURSE IT loving IS.

She's getting ripped apart in the comments, though, which is gratifying.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Breetai posted:

Delivery Fuckwit's mantlepiece is stuffed with no less than 18 loving Funko Popo figures because OF COURSE IT loving IS.

She's getting ripped apart in the comments, though, which is gratifying.

Are you taking about your cat? That's a pretty rude thing to say about your cat, to say nothing of blaming it for your problems.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Gorman Thomas posted:

Hoooo boy, I can't get too specific but I found out today why film budgets are a top secret thing in Hollywood. One of my buddies is a production accountant at one of the big studios. Over lunch today he told me a director got away with billing the studio $300k for private pilates classes over a 8 month period for his wife. The auditor flagged it but for some reason it was OK'd by corporate anyway. In the end the studio took a loss on the movie.

Woah, that's like private pilates "classes" that you don't want your wife to see you spending money on levels of money!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm sure I'm butchering this Interesting Fact, but isn't there some thing where movies can't be profitable? The cost has to inflate to be equal to the ticket sales?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gorman Thomas posted:

They probably felt bad for him after his wife left him for the Pilates instructor.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm sure I'm butchering this Interesting Fact, but isn't there some thing where movies can't be profitable? The cost has to inflate to be equal to the ticket sales?

You might be thinking of Hollywood Accounting, where the studio charges itself (or rather, "another" "subsidiary" business) for "marketing" or some other nebulously defined activity, so that they can claim that a wildly successful movie actually lost money.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Volmarias posted:

You might be thinking of Hollywood Accounting, where the studio charges itself (or rather, "another" "subsidiary" business) for "marketing" or some other nebulously defined activity, so that they can claim that a wildly successful movie actually lost money.

They do it this because a lot of compensation is related to how well the film performs, that way they don't have to pay people.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

I don't think any entertainment industry shows a real profit, but their executives and talent (some of them anyway) get paid ridiculous sums.

I remember Apple was at one point looking at buying a record company, but the profit margins just weren't there. At least corporate America has to show a pretense of a profit to appease shareholders.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The reason that there was never a sequel to Forrest Gump, even though a book already exists, is because the author of Forrest Gump was supposed to get paid 3% of the movie's gross profits.

The movie made $678 million (plus around $200 million in home sales), but on paper Forrest Gump lost money and the author got nothing.

He was so mad that he refused to allow Paramount to make a sequel and Paramount had exclusive first option rights to the sequel as part of the original contract, so nobody else could buy it and it never got made.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If all movies are finagled into not making money, why does anyone agree to get a percentage as compensation? Did that guy just not bother to get a lawyer on his contract or something?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I wonder what's stopping people from getting contracts that go off "gross revenue" or "gross ticket sales" rather than "gross profits". I mean, I can see how the studios would sic their entire team of lawyers onto anyone who dared to ask for something like that, but you'd think there's some A-list actor or dozens-of-awards-winning author who has the clout to get a deal like that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Weatherman posted:

I wonder what's stopping people from getting contracts that go off "gross revenue" or "gross ticket sales" rather than "gross profits". I mean, I can see how the studios would sic their entire team of lawyers onto anyone who dared to ask for something like that, but you'd think there's some A-list actor or dozens-of-awards-winning author who has the clout to get a deal like that.

Many do. Jack Nicholson most famously in Batman I believe. He made more money than the studio on some ridiculous claim.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Weatherman posted:

Most people who have power do now.

J.K. Rowling got a % of gross ticket sales for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and made about $40 million from it. The movie technically "lost" $232 million according to Warner Brothers.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think Alec Guiness also took a cut of gross ticket sales for Star Wars, instead of being paid a regular salary. Which was a good move, because he ended up with millions where a lot of the other actors had taken a flat salary of thousands.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
He was probably the only person you could consider "famous" when Star Wars came out, too.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Even better many of them have ownership in the production companies and are in on the scam

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

If all movies are finagled into not making money, why does anyone agree to get a percentage as compensation? Did that guy just not bother to get a lawyer on his contract or something?

Ironically I think Tom Hanks did on Gump. So the guy who created the character got nada and Hanks walked away with 80 million. It all comes down to how good your lawyers are.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's been a known thing for a long time, enough that even children's cartoons have lampooned it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc

Animaniacs had a great bit too, but I can't find it. Something like "the net is what they scoop you up with when you see what the gross was"

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, the entire purpose of a studio is to suck the profit out of the movie itself and transfer it up the chain.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The reason that there was never a sequel to Forrest Gump, even though a book already exists, is because the author of Forrest Gump was supposed to get paid 3% of the movie's gross profits.

The movie made $678 million (plus around $200 million in home sales), but on paper Forrest Gump lost money and the author got nothing.

He was so mad that he refused to allow Paramount to make a sequel and Paramount had exclusive first option rights to the sequel as part of the original contract, so nobody else could buy it and it never got made.

It was net income that hosed him over, not gross.

The adage for Hollywood contracts is *never* agree to a slice of "net" anything. That's where Hollywood accounting will gently caress you over.

You always want a slice of "gross" revenue or a straight up fee. If you're a top tier A lister, you can probably get a piece of ticket sales and merch too.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The avarice of Hollywood is deeply disgusting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

BloodBag posted:

The avarice of Hollywood is deeply disgusting to me.

DUde go back far enough and that's the root cause of like 95% of this thread's content :capitalism:

• Locked thread