Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Lube banjo posted:

This teardown shows that the right controller (red) has an "NFC antenna and IR hardware" while the blue does not

And? This is known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

And? This is known.

its possible not everyone knows about it and there's been a lot of joycon talk in the last page or so. it shows that the problem is hardware and there probably won't be a software patch to fix it

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The only thing interesting is the same size antenna. That extra .3 DBI transmission power makes all the difference I guess.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Lube banjo posted:

its possible not everyone knows about it and there's been a lot of joycon talk in the last page or so. it shows that the problem is hardware and there probably won't be a software patch to fix it

Nah, those two items are for the infrared port on the bottom and the amiibo reader. Sounds like the actual antennae sizes are the same.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So do games save to the cart or the system?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I hate asking this since I'm sure it's been discussed, but is it pretty much confirmed that the pro controller doesn't suffer from the same connectivity issue? I might pick one up if that's the case.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

To the goons that suggested checking local Targets and TRUs, thanks! I called my local Targets, and some said they should get shipments in tomorrow, but they weren't 100% certain. I called one TRU, and they told me they might get 5-7 tomorrow morning. I called the second TRU, and they had some stocked, so I managed to snag one! Here's the weird thing for everyone still looking: the second TRU apparently wasn't supposed to sell any Switches today for whatever reason? They were supposed to hold their stock until tomorrow. The gal I talked to on the phone apparently screwed up by telling me they were in stock, so they sold me one, but they weren't happy about it. Two more guys demanded Switches when they saw me buying one (one guy wanted to buy all of the remaining units), and then the employees had a talking to while I was paying. Whelp, that's my Switch story.

tl;dr you may have more luck physically going into TRU and asking

Edit: and if anyone is still looking for the BotW special edition, check Walmart. The employees at the one I browsed had just put out all four copies they received when I walked in, because the employees didn't know what the special edition was. Apparently their instructions told them to look for a small switch case, so they thought the special edition boxes were decoration.

Niemat fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 4, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Louisgod posted:

So is the synch issue in Zelda people are running into where you're, say, using the magnet and while using it your cursor veers right or left on its own? I ran into that this morning and had to recalibrate the left joycon. Super annoying.

i was getting that and then i realized it was just the gyro aiming works on the magnet too.

the left joycon issue is complete connection being dropped or flickering in and out. i haven't had it all until i got stupidly far away into another room. but it you'll be controlling link moving forward and then all of a sudden he just keeps moving forward because the input dropped. laggy controls.

i have noticed the left joycon is losing charge faster than the right.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

akadajet posted:

I hate asking this since I'm sure it's been discussed, but is it pretty much confirmed that the pro controller doesn't suffer from the same connectivity issue? I might pick one up if that's the case.

Its really solid and comfortable. Its antenna is much stronger. Buy the left joycon seems to really be hit or miss. Annoying inconsistant hardware.

I suggest trying the joycons in grip and it its acceptable wait to a sale or price drop.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Digging the Switch. Zelda is out of this world. It's unlike anything else. It creates such a sense of wonder, magic, and danger. These are those Nintendo experiences.

Haven't experienced too much slowdown when it's docked but what little I have has not affected my playing.

The left joycon has desynced once and I quickly realized it was because I was holding the controller grip in a stupid way. Glad I have a pro coming tomorrow because the grip is a bit awkward.

Snipperclips has got my girlfriend loving this thing. Might go out and see what amiibo interests me.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Anyone looking at cases, don't get the official Nintendo one (the one that comes with a screen protector). The outside is semisoft instead of a hard shell, and it's a very snug fit. It will protect your buttons and joysticks but it feels like any significant pressure will be applied to the center flap directly onto your screen. Gonna return it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bombadilillo posted:

So do games save to the cart or the system?

i think mine is saving it to my sd card, at least it looks that way in the data menu, havent checked for sure. i heard it was the system but there's nothing on the system memory for me...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I was really surprised while playing the quick draw game in 1 2 Switch that the joycons are so accurate that it knew my wife and I were not looking directly at one another (we were at a slight angle). But yeah the game absolutely isn't worth the 47 bucks I paid for it. Though we only played like seven or so of the games.

I know people are saying the joycon sync issue is real but I think it might be a random thing with certain units or homes having certain interference because I absolutely could not replicate it. I had the system set up on the living room TV and walked all the way back into the dining room at the other end of the house and it worked fine. It choked VERY SLIGHTLY when that far away and with the Joycon behind my back. I have no clue why it didn't happen to me. It also manages to pick up WiFi signals from my neighbors so maybe certain units have weak WiFi for some reason? This coupled with no dead pixels and I think I might have just gotten extremely lucky in every aspect.

As for the complaints about the screen scratches, I haven't read anything about it. I even tried searching Reddit and there were no posts about it. What is it exactly? People are getting scratches from placing it in the dock? If so, is there any way to prevent it other than a screen protector which is just gonna get scratched anyway? For what it's worth, I have not seen any screen scratches yet.

Oh, before I buy Shovel Knight yet again, how well does the fake left d pad on the Joycon work for it? I would imagine poorly for platformers but I'd like to know for sure before buying it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I know people are saying the joycon sync issue is real but I think it might be a random thing with certain units or homes having certain interference because I absolutely could not replicate it. I had the system set up on the living room TV and walked all the way back into the dining room at the other end of the house and it worked fine. It choked VERY SLIGHTLY when that far away and with the Joycon behind my back. I have no clue why it didn't happen to me. It also manages to pick up WiFi signals from my neighbors so maybe certain units have weak WiFi for some reason? This coupled with no dead pixels and I think I might have just gotten extremely lucky in every aspect.

I'm also currently in an apartment complex with all of the RF noise that comes with that. But it'd deffo a problem.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Beastie posted:

Digging the Switch. Zelda is out of this world. It's unlike anything else. It creates such a sense of wonder, magic, and danger. These are those Nintendo experiences.

Haven't experienced too much slowdown when it's docked but what little I have has not affected my playing.

The left joycon has desynced once and I quickly realized it was because I was holding the controller grip in a stupid way. Glad I have a pro coming tomorrow because the grip is a bit awkward.

Snipperclips has got my girlfriend loving this thing. Might go out and see what amiibo interests me.

Way to hold your controller wrong :smug:

... :ssh: its insane that there can be a wrong way to hold a controller and have it not work

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

The Bloop posted:

Also, lots of talking about Zelda specifics ITT.

If I may,

KNOCK IT THE gently caress OFF !!

Spoiler tag everything or take it to the Zelda thread please.

This might as well be the Zelda thread do you expect me to believe anyone is playing other games on the Nintendo Zeldabox

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tomahawk posted:

This might as well be the Zelda thread do you expect me to believe anyone is playing other games on the Nintendo Zeldabox

I went to check out fast rmx last night and played that til I went to bed. Its really good, I was always bad at switching in ikaruga but this is easier and better. Check it out.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Tomahawk posted:

It's more of slab than a box

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I have Shovel Knight on my 3DS, which I still carry around with me. I haven't played the Plague Knight expansion yet, so the third expansion being temporarily exclusive is not a draw.

Other than giving Yacht Club more money, is there any compelling reason for me to buy it on the Switch?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hammer Bro. posted:

I have Shovel Knight on my 3DS, which I still carry around with me. I haven't played the Plague Knight expansion yet, so the third expansion being temporarily exclusive is not a draw.

Other than giving Yacht Club more money, is there any compelling reason for me to buy it on the Switch?

Impromptu joycon co-op?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I spent a while trying to figure out how the gently caress the "Player <number>" lights lit up on the plastic housing for the Joycons. As far as I could tell, it was just a plastic frame with no circuitry, so it made me scratch my head trying to figure out how the lights were powered. I thought maybe there's induction fuckery going on whereby the Joycon feeds a little power to the lights on the frame. Turns out, they use tiny little mirrors to beam the light from the Joycon to the frame, that's pretty loving awesome engineering. Two birds one stone.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
ARE THERE FRAMERATE DROPS IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD THE LEGEND OF ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD:

yes.

DO THE FRAMERATE DROPS IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD THE LEGEND OF ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD AFFECT GAMEPLAY:

no, because the game is that incredibly amazing to experience. unplayable trash, to me, is stuttering to a point of uncontrollable characters. this is not that at all. it's a slight drop in a very heavily grassed/shadowed area.

I haven't had any issues with the JoyCon desync. Switch on top of our TV stand and sitting position is about 10ft away. Switch is on the 5Ghz band in my house. Other devices on the 5Ghz are our cell phones. PS4 which is lower and to the left of the switch is about 3 feet away and on the 2.4Ghz band.

The UI for the Switch does render at 720P. Does it look like rear end? Not to me. It's perfectly serviceable, fast, and very clean.

The Joycons themselves ARE too small for me, but controller size is relative and it's not something that would have ever been perfect because again, size is relative.

The Pro-Controller is a great fit for my hands, with amazing battery life and responsive buttons that rival the DS4 and Xbone controller. Also, no issues with connectivity with it in my house.

Handheld mode eliminates the "joycons are micro-penis" for me because it allows my hands to wrap to the back of the Switch. The buttons on the JCs are very tactile and responsive.

Just my opinions and experiences so far. The only game I have played is Zelda. Down the pipe are Blaster Master because MY CHILDHOOD, MK8D, and I will see how the already amazing line-up of Indie titles fleshes out so as to pick and choose and not blow my load like I do with the Steam platform.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

As for the complaints about the screen scratches, I haven't read anything about it. I even tried searching Reddit and there were no posts about it. What is it exactly? People are getting scratches from placing it in the dock? If so, is there any way to prevent it other than a screen protector which is just gonna get scratched anyway? For what it's worth, I have not seen any screen scratches yet.

i think it might be a bunch of bad batches? people are reporting yellow tinted screens too.

the dock scratch issue might be a combo of things, looks like some units have the front of their docks not 100% straight when look at from the side, some might not realize they are putting in wrong? i dunno, from some comments sounds like some are slotting it in and then wiggling it around a lot for the connection to go, which sounds insane. i don't know. all i know is i must've lucked out too, great white screen, no joycon issue, my dock doesn't look slightly curved and i've putting it in and out like they do in the adverts, straight up. the screen never touches the front side of the dock. the pads at the bottom are leaving tiny smudge marks but they clear away fine. i might invest in glass tempered screen protector when they get back in stock tho, just to be safe.

there's a lot of diy going on across the web with adding protect strips of anything inside the dock. whole poo poo reminds me of peoples sweaty hands throwing their wiimotes into the loving tv at launch and we all got condoms for them.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 4, 2017

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

:ducksiren: HHGregg has Nintendo Switch available online in both colors :ducksiren:

http://www.hhgregg.com/webapp/wcs/s...ice:&maxPrice:&

Just scroll down slightly and you'll see them.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Not to excuse broken hardware. But anybody who's read any reviews of any electronics knows there's always a number of DOA units. Sucks but its the nature of things.

The annoying part is its hard to tell without months reviews or independent reports how bad it is. Like if you go to buy a video card from newegg is the 1 star poo poo broke reviews 5% or 20%?

I feel bad for goons with brickches still.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
So I didn't get to play my Switch last night cuz it was my buddy's birthday and I had friend obligations. Got to play Zelda for a good hour this morning and god drat am I loving the Switch. This is one hell of a powerful portable and even the great plateau is already awesome in Zelda haha. Really can't wait to dive into it more but I'm loving my purchase so far.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

InFlames235 posted:

So I didn't get to play my Switch last night cuz it was my buddy's birthday and I had friend obligations. Got to play Zelda for a good hour this morning and god drat am I loving the Switch. This is one hell of a powerful portable and even the great plateau is already awesome in Zelda haha. Really can't wait to dive into it more but I'm loving my purchase so far.

You went to a party and didnt bust out snipperclips? Literally doing it wrong.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Yeah, I've been having connection issues with the left joycon too. loving sucks. Really hope they issue a recall or something to fix it. I am fine with the joycons otherwise, but my cat likes to sit on me while I play and it fucks up the controller. They are really small though. I'll probably grab a pro this weekend.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Vikar Jerome posted:

i think it might be a bunch of bad batches? people are reporting yellow tinted screens too.

If the touch and LCD are fused together, the yellow might just be adhesive that hasn't quite finished curing yet. It happens with iPhones sometimes, usually clears up after a while.

Not sure if it's one piece or two on the Switch.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People use the Switch in TV mode?

Weirdos.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Tender Bender posted:

Another thought: $90 for an extra dock is loving highway robbery. It's a USB hub with an hdmi port. It doesn't have any bells and whistles and FEELS like a cheap pack-in. $45 would still be hard to swallow, even accounting for the price bump that proprietary stuff gets. $90 is absurd.

You should see the teardown of it. A tiny little circuit board, a small ribbon cable, and lots and lots of cheap plastic. Probably cost Nintendo $2 to make.

https://www.fictiv.com/blog/posts/nintendo-switch-teardown (down near the bottom)

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

:ducksiren: HHGregg has Nintendo Switch available online in both colors :ducksiren:

Thanks brah, ordered the gray.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I guess my amazon switch is gonna get delivered today. I ain't holding my breath.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Amazon updated me with an email saying that there's been a delay and they'll update me when they know more. I guess it's good that both the switch and Zelda were delayed, that way I don't have the game staring me in the face. Weird that the game has the same issue though, probably a problem with their system and not necessarily their stock of product.

I'll just have to play more Horizon while I don't have Zelda.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Hoping Nintendo issues a recall and replacement of left joycons. I haven't had an issue as I'm just playing with mine connected to the Switch but there are so many people reporting it that it needs to be taken care of swiftly before the problem grows and they have a real issue on their hands. They made a profit from the Switch so they can suck it up and recall the left joycons and replace them now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

InFlames235 posted:

Hoping Nintendo issues a recall and replacement of left joycons. I haven't had an issue as I'm just playing with mine connected to the Switch but there are so many people reporting it that it needs to be taken care of swiftly before the problem grows and they have a real issue on their hands. They made a profit from the Switch so they can suck it up and recall the left joycons and replace them now.
To be fair, the profit margin on the system is probably like $5 and not $50.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Did anyone else order the Breath of the Wild special editions that went up on Walmart last week? Mine still says "processing" with an expected in store pickup of March 9 (which is what they originally promised). Just feels kind of weird that those orders randomly opened up last week.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Josh Lyman posted:

To be fair, the profit margin on the system is probably like $5 and not $50.

Ah, no. They are making over 75-100 per hardware unit. They have always profited at least 1.3-1.5 on hardware because they can't loss lead with 3rd party licensing because 3rd party has been non existent

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Utnayan posted:

Ah, no. They are making over 75-100 per hardware unit. They have always profited at least 1.3-1.5 on hardware because they can't loss lead with 3rd party licensing because 3rd party has been non existent

I'm sure the BOM will come in ridiculously low. There isn't a lot of advance tech (save for the modern nvidia cpu+gpu) all the money went to engineering the thing. It has a huge HSF exhaust cut out the top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MarcusSA posted:

I guess my amazon switch is gonna get delivered today. I ain't holding my breath.

I got mine a couple hours ago. Just now picked up my Pro controller from my local Best Buy.

• Locked thread