Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Faerie Fortune posted:

Episode 46 - Sweet Jam Sessions

I have a terrible memory for sequences, and the plot of this game

I'm so glad we got to this part of the game. Because now I can share one of my favourite remixes (made for another LP of MM): https://soundcloud.com/frothypogs/okay-now-play-your-pipes-like-this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Always disappointed me that the tune in this game wasn't actually the Ballad of the Windfish. The Link's Awakening version is a good song and I would have liked hearing an updated version with the N64 sound capabilities.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

If you like the story and overall tone of this game, you might wanna give it a shot when you're more awake. It's another dark Zelda game.

I'm actually replaying it now and it's nowhere near as dark as this game, in fact I don't think I'd call it dark at all until maybe the very end. But it's very good and you should play it regardless, I'm hoping that give it the Link Between Worlds treatment someday.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Link's Awakening has a dark underbelly to it, but it's not quite as bleak overall as Majora's Mask. It has the same sense of whimsy, as well as the fact that plot-wise it's not a "traditional" Zelda game at all. I think it would be right up Fae's alley.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
I dunno if it's been mentioned, or if there's even a reasonable way to port the save over, but Dolphin finally has Majora's Mask working properly in it's latest versions, and so far seems to be the best available emulation of the game. Even if it doesn't help the LP itself, it's good for anyone who wants to play along.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hey what's up with this thread

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

They frequently take long breaks in between recording sessions. There are three schedules to coordinate over two time zones five hours (at least) apart, after all.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Fae was out of town for a week or two, and the footage that we recorded right before she left presumably hasn't been edited. She came back in yesterday, so updates should theoretically resume in the next week or so.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

By "theoretically", do you mean after everyone's gorged themselves on Breath of the Wild?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Commander Keene posted:

They frequently take long breaks in between recording sessions. There are three schedules to coordinate over two time zones five hours (at least) apart, after all.

We're up to three time zones now, actually! We're up to eight hours apart now, so scheduling can be a little tight at times.

Grimman007 posted:

By "theoretically", do you mean after everyone's gorged themselves on Breath of the Wild?

We probably have enough footage for us to get our fill of BotW and/or NieR Automata before we need to record again. Probably.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I thought Fae mentioned earlier in the thread (when talking about co-commentators) that you and Artix were in the same time zone. Or have one of you moved since then?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That's cool, I just remembered not seeing this thread for a while and wanted to check in :respek:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hold on, I need to update my stalking spreadsheet.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Yes, my apologies! I was staying with my girlfriend for a couple of weeks and LP wasn't the first thing on my mind! We had a lot of fun, ate some rad food and watched the entirety of Avatar: The Last Airbender over three days. That's a good time.

Anyway let's get back to it!

Episode 47 - Let's Not Try Again

I'm sorry I'm returning with....this.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ChaosArgate posted:

We probably have enough footage for us to get our fill of BotW and/or NieR Automata before we need to record again. Probably.

I dunno about that. It turns out Nintendo figured how to fit infinite content into Breath of the Wild :stare:

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
It looked to me that that adjusting the controller settings might help, Fae seemed to have a really hard time of making the smaller course corrections, leading to an akward back and forth wiggle trying to aim.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zernach posted:

It looked to me that that adjusting the controller settings might help, Fae seemed to have a really hard time of making the smaller course corrections, leading to an akward back and forth wiggle trying to aim.

It's the true Beaver Race That Is Not Actually A Race experience.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't care if it's Superman 64, Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong 64, or Super Mario 64, "go through rings" puzzles is an intensely stupid exercise in games and I'm glad that it stayed in that era.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

"go through rings" puzzles is an intensely stupid exercise in games and I'm glad that it stayed in that era.

Just Cause 3 would like a word with you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CirclMastr posted:

So would Dragon Ball Fusions. It's a very fun game otherwise, though.

If it makes you feel any better, Fae, I gave up on that bottle too.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm not a fan of beaver racing either. The minigames in Termina are very hit or miss

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I like beavers and racing against said beavers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Faerie Fortune posted:

watched the entirety of Avatar: The Last Airbender over three days. That's a good time.

Avatar was a very good show and it's a shame that Nickelodeon has seen fit to basically bury it and Legend of Korra in the years since they both finished their runs.

If you're looking for a good spiritual successor to it, I would recommend you check out Voltron: Legendary Defender on Netflix. It's basically done by the entire team behind Avatar sans the two executive producers. And it's really drat good.

notice how I'm not talking about anything that happened in that video :manning:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

get that OUT of my face posted:

I don't care if it's Superman 64, Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong 64, or Super Mario 64, "go through rings" puzzles is an intensely stupid exercise in games and I'm glad that it stayed in that era.

CirclMastr posted:

GTA V too...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm way outta the modern-day video game loop.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 48 - Old Man Yells At Moon

This game is creepy and unnerving and I love everything about it

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean, there's FF6? It's not a full-on cataclysm, but people like to count it in favour of the villain. :shrug:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
In Dragon Quarter some kind of apocalypse happened before the main story, forcing everyone to live underground.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Chrono Trigger not only shows you the end of the world, it also shows the aftermath. Like FF6, it's not a complete, "the Earth is now uninhabitable" end of the world scenario, but the handful of surviving humans cluster around slowly failing technology, and culture and society have degenerated to the point where agriculture and even good health are unfamiliar concepts as humanity slowly starves. Humans are on their way out post-Day of Lavos, and any attempts to halt or reverse that are merely delaying the inevitable.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For 'games featuring the apocalypse', you probably can't go wrong with Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Or most games in that franchise, for the matter.

As to the moon, townsfolk say it 'looks weird' but usually aren't specific. Also a Moon's Tear is a rare, but known object. I think if it never had a face before that would be the first thing to bring up? So I don't know. I subscribe to the theory that the moon usually has a face, but it's normally a happy face.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's also Valkyrie Profile. I mean, it lasts all of 30 seconds, but the world is 100% destroyed

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You start and get to see the end of the world in Mother 3, but you don't get to see its aftermath.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

YggiDee posted:

For 'games featuring the apocalypse', you probably can't go wrong with Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Or most games in that franchise, for the matter.
Ironically, the apocalypse happens before Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse. Which I suppose makes the game a double apocalypse? I dunno, I own the game but haven't actually played it yet (going to do a NG+ neutral run of SMT4 first).

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You get to see the end of the world in Undertale. And also kinda in Golden Sun if you say "no" to going on the world-saving quest.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
How did we have apocalypse-chat without mentioning goddamn Drakengard. The sky shatters and all you see are teeth. :unsmigghh:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Artix posted:

How did we have apocalypse-chat without mentioning goddamn Drakengard. The sky shatters and all you see are teeth. :unsmigghh:
you already mentioned that in the video

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Artix posted:

Drakengard is my favourite game I never want to play just because of the sheer loving chutzpa it took Yoko Taro to make Ending E. That man is a hero.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It bears mentioning again. No one does an apocalypse like Taro Yoko. :colbert:

also this was like a month ago and gently caress if I remember what we talked about

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Most of the games in the Wild ARMs series are set on a planet on the decline after a war with alien robot demons, too. In the first game, the sky actually shatters at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Artix posted:

It bears mentioning again. No one does an apocalypse like Taro Yoko. :colbert:

also this was like a month ago and gently caress if I remember what we talked about

One of the less-mourned parts of JordanKai dropping his Nier LP (:() was that it took his Drakengard series summary videos with it. I've seen some weird poo poo in my time playing video games and reading about them online, but that game (or at least the first one) is like Top 3 weird.