Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
"Our president should not be literally having backroom deals with a shady warmonger."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
not sure why people are so down on this assad fellow i thought lefties believed in universal brotherhood and friendship ???

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Welcome to Hellthread. Abandon hope all ye who enter.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I like how everyone ignores that Independents are starting to view Putin favorably the more the media tries to demonize Russia, the only ones falling for this bullshit are Democrats.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
russia is a bit of a backwards poo poo hole and murdering journalists and turning your country into a one party state is p bullshit imho

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

probably coincides with increase in frequency on how often russia and putin are covered in the american media so the average republican is more aware of putin and the tough man image that's designed to appeal to the likes of him/her, whereas before that people didn't really know who putin was and didn't give a poo poo?

Well, yeah, but that just reinforces the argument that literally the only thing Republican voters care about is raw authority. Like, fifty years' worth of COMMUNISM BAD got tossed out in a second because they all swooned over Putin's biceps. Just demonstrates that all that supposed conservative ideology was bullshit all along.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

XMNN posted:

russia is a bit of a backwards poo poo hole and murdering journalists and turning your country into a one party state is p bullshit imho

Whoa cool it patriot, the kgb might round you up

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, yeah, but that just reinforces the argument that literally the only thing Republican voters care about is raw authority. Like, fifty years' worth of COMMUNISM BAD got tossed out in a second because they all swooned over Putin's biceps. Just demonstrates that all that supposed conservative ideology was bullshit all along.

Of course it's bullshit. Just 6 years ago, Mittens Romney was saying that Russia was an enemy.

But that doesn't change the fact that Russophobia is loving dumb on both sides.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Frijolero posted:

Of course it's bullshit. Just 6 years ago, Mittens Romney was saying that Russia was an enemy.

But that doesn't change the fact that Russophobia is loving dumb on both sides.

Putin's an authoritarian, corrupt as hell, murders journalists, and has started multiple wars while lying constantly about what he's doing. He wants to destabilize western governments to make it easier to expand Russia's territory.

Raw russophobia, sure, irrational. I love vodka as much as anyone. Suspicion of Putin though? Completely rational. And Putin is the Russian government right now, so . . .

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I did Russian at school, I like Russia, I love Russian literature

I don't like Putin or his foreign or domestic policy and cosying up to him when he is doing reprehensible poo poo is a bad thing and not a good thing

imho

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Putin's an authoritarian, corrupt as hell, murders journalists, and has started multiple wars while lying constantly about what he's doing. He wants to destabilize western governments to make it easier to expand Russia's territory.

Raw russophobia, sure, irrational. I love vodka as much as anyone. Suspicion of Putin though? Completely rational. And Putin is the Russian government right now, so . . .

it's 100% this. good relations with russia would be great but it's a tad more complex than the GBS binary of good and bad.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
maybe they'll catch trump on a hot mic to putin telling him he'll give him whatever he wants after re-election. just like the left's response speech to trump's visit, it's a party with no leadership and no explanation why they aren't in charge of anything in this country, and it's got to just poo poo all over the place and hope something works

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Russia wants to destabilize Western governments :lol:

What has the US been doing to Russia since 1917?

Putin's foreign policy actions have been reactive:
* US expands NATO into former Russian territory -> Russia expands influence on neighbors.

* EU/NATO start courting Ukraine? -> Russia annexes Crimea

* US sends arms to Syrian rebels and Salafists -> Russia joins the civil war to shore up ally

Your view of the Russian government is also incredibly immature. Yes, Putin is authoritarian. But Russia is still a democracy with a TON of special interests and opposition groups. It's not a one man show.

Also, Putin is still quite popular among his people. It sounds pretty loving hilarious and undemocratic when Americans call for his ouster when his country has his back.

So what's your solution? Keep antagonizing Russia because their president is corrupt? Keep the brinkmanship even though Russia's military is paltry compared to ours? Call for Russia to end their nuclear program, even though we have nukes in Europe aimed at Moscow?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Didn't Obama wiretap Merkals phone?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

Didn't Obama wiretap Merkals phone?

Pro tip even "ally" nations spy on each other all time, especially what Israel does to the US to maintain certain favorable foreign policies or just to steal US intel they could exploit.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Trump cutting out the middle man and making his own fake news

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
And now we have our own corrupt authoritarian... Should the democratic nations of the world antagonize us and sanction us?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
if trump did something so politically dumb, so completely out of touch with world politics such as offer a reset button to a country like russia they would be rightfully lampooned. Yet, I distinctly remember the entire press corps reaction of how outside the box and great it was of Obama!

Polls show no one cares about the russia boogeyman, who btw is a mere fraction of it's cold war self

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

Pro tip even "ally" nations spy on each other all time, especially what Israel does to the US to maintain certain favorable foreign policies or just to steal US intel they could exploit.

Israel has literally influenced US elections in the form of lobbying money and propaganda for the GOP, but Democrats stay silent.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

feelix posted:

i went to college and i voted for trump

I feel bad for your mother.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Frijolero posted:

And now we have our own corrupt authoritarian... Should the democratic nations of the world antagonize us and sanction us?

tbh I was p ashamed of my countries leader rushing to suck up to trump yeah

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Frijolero posted:

* EU/NATO start courting Ukraine? -> Russia annexes Crimea

Your view of the Russian government is also incredibly immature. Yes, Putin is authoritarian. But Russia is still a democracy with a TON of special interests and opposition groups. It's not a one man show.

EU/NATO courting Ukraine to Russia invading Ukraine and annexing Crimea is a disproportionate response. That's the problem.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is trump hosed yet? I feel this thread is a false alarm

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So Trump just admitted a FISA court found probable cause that he was an agent of a foreign government and issued a wiretapping court order? cool.

Too bad he's just tweeting out a bullshit Breitbart story. It would be pretty awesome if it was true.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Kjoery posted:

fake crises in sweden

Nice, rape apologist.

XMNN posted:

*supports friendly relations with Iran*

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panzeh posted:

EU/NATO courting Ukraine to Russia invading Ukraine and annexing Crimea is a disproportionate response. That's the problem.

Pushing a west-friendly Ukraine doesn't seem like a big deal to the American liberal so let me illustrate:

Remember when we thought Castro was getting cozy with the Soviets? It was not only a regional threat, but an existential threat. We got so uncomfortable that we used rebels to invade Cuba and install a friendly regime. We failed, but it still demonstrates how far we were willing to go.

We don't own the rights to good foreign policy, and neither do the Russians, but we sure like to act like everything we do is out of goodwill and the world just needs to chill.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

Nice, rape apologist.

*supports friendly relations with Iran*

Dont forget about the GRENADE attacks in Sweden: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_grenade_attacks_in_Sweden

Perfectly normal perfecly healthy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Frijolero posted:

Remember when we thought Castro was getting cozy with the Soviets? It was not only a regional threat, but an existential threat. We got so uncomfortable that we used rebels to invade Cuba and install a friendly regime. We failed, but it still demonstrates how far we were willing to go.

hmm yess early 1960s nuclear brinkmanship is indeed a cool and very good and reasonable foreign policy in 2017. let's do that in the crimea

-- *loud farting noises*

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sagebrush posted:

hmm yess early 1960s nuclear brinkmanship is indeed a cool and very good and reasonable foreign policy in 2017. let's do that in the crimea

-- *loud farting noises*

I literally said Russia doesn't do good foreign policy in the following paragraph, but I appreciate the insightful post.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Frijolero posted:

I literally said Russia doesn't do good foreign policy in the following paragraph, but I appreciate the insightful post.

This is true but i think it's appropriate to find ways to frustrate Russia in response to their bad foreign policy. For example more direct support for the Ukranian government.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panzeh posted:

This is true but i think it's appropriate to find ways to frustrate Russia in response to their bad foreign policy. For example more direct support for the Ukranian government.

:lol:

A lot of Russia's bad foreign policy is a response to our terrible foreign policy, and it has been for 60+ years.

Should we keep arming the Salafists in Syria you loving dunce?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Frijolero posted:

Russia wants to destabilize Western governments :lol:

What has the US been doing to Russia since 1917?

And your point is? So what?

In realpolitik terms, Russia is sitting on the other side of the chessboard. I'm not trying to say our side is better, I'm saying Putin is opposed to our goals. "Buuuuut Amerikka also did bad things!" is just misdirection.

Frijolero posted:

lol

again, what's your point here? So what?

Frijolero posted:

So what's your solution? Keep antagonizing Russia because their president is corrupt? Keep the brinkmanship even though Russia's military is paltry compared to ours? Call for Russia to end their nuclear program, even though we have nukes in Europe aimed at Moscow?

The "solution," such as it is, is ongoing balance-of-power politics, strong support of NATO, and a clear and unambiguous and stable foreign policy that reduces Putin's ability to exploit gaps and loopholes.

The problem with Trump's freewheeling pull-it-out-his-rear end style of diplomacy is that Putin's going to think he can get away with things he would never have attempted if the US had a stable sane government. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he tried invading the baltic states, for example, which could potentially trigger a NATO response and nuclear war, just because Trump's idiocy made Putin think such a grab was a worthwhile risk.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 4, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Frijolero posted:

:lol:

A lot of Russia's bad foreign policy is a response to our terrible foreign policy, and it has been for 60+ years.

Should we keep arming the Salafists in Syria you loving dunce?

Well the CIA was trying to form a specifically anti-ISIS group but failed. The DoD sends arms to the Marxist YPG.

Im not sure how responding to bad Russian foreign policy is bad but im sure you'll tell me.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

And your point is? So what?

In realpolitik terms, Russia is sitting on the other side of the chessboard. I'm not trying to say our side is better, I'm saying Putin is opposed to our goals. "Buuuuut Amerikka also did bad things!" is just misdirection.

lol

again, what's your point here? So what?

Oh snap. I didn't know I was arguing with imperialists. I'll just see myself out cuz this poo poo is pointless.

How does it feel to know that you would've supported the Vietnam War? Did you fall for the WMDs ? :lol:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Frijolero posted:

Oh snap. I didn't know I was arguing with imperialists. I'll just see myself out cuz this poo poo is pointless.

How does it feel to know that you would've supported the Vietnam War? Did you fall for the WMDs ? :lol:

This is mega dumb. Saying "America has international interests that Putin opposes" is not being an "imperialist." Supporting the continued existence of NATO is not the same thing as supporting the invasion of Iraq.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 4, 2017

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/MisterRoasty/status/837968892051980288

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

etalian posted:

Yeah I'm canadian and its an open secret that our intelligence services are lousy with american spies and have been since the 60s at least.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Radical and BADical! posted:

I feel bad for your mother.

she voted for trump too

since you can't read dates and quoted a post several weeks old i'm guessing you never went to college

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I'm just going to dance in. Fart out this image. Then dance right out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kjoery posted:

good things = good
bad things = bad

thats how politics works, its that simple

now excuse me while i leave the UN and threaten to impose tarrifs on germany while fabricating fake crises in sweden

*riots break out in Sweden*

• Locked thread