Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

peepsalot posted:

I'm of the opinion that it is perfectly safe to use and would not be worth the hassle of returning and waiting for a replacement, personally. It appears that the pin was missing from the header before it was put on the board. What does that pin look like on the back of the board? You should be able to tell if a pin was there or not when the board was wave soldered or whatever.

If you ever handle those 0.1" headers like that (before they are fixed to a board), the pins can slide in and out of the plastic brace with a little bit of force, so its not completely unheard of for one to come loose.

I would check the underside, but I've already got it up and doing half of what I'd planned and it's been fine so far. I'm not much on the ins-and-outs :downs: of GPIO, I just know there's power involved somewhere.

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd return it on principle.

I kind of agree, but like peepsalot said time+money+hassle. And even if it's something as small as a Raspberry Pi, I don't want to contribute any more to any Indochinese e-waste mountains than I can in my lifetime.

E: quote for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
That is what happens when you get the parts supplier that goes $0.012 cheaper per part but it turns out his parts have actually a little more "tolerance" than they should have.

I wouldn't bother sending the unit back, it's perfectly fine if you won't ever need that pin.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Glue the case shut so you don't have any incentive to ever look at it again. Returning anything valued at less than $100 is a giant hassle.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have a 400+MB "core" file on my Pi. Is it a core dump and can I delete it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

doctorfrog posted:

I have a 400+MB "core" file on my Pi. Is it a core dump and can I delete it?

Type file core and it will tell you. But almost certainly yes and yes.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Three of my eight raspberry pis are idle right now, anyone got any cool ideas before I fill my apartment with cameras?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm looking for some older Pis to build a Pico-8 appliance for my cousins. Anyone know where to get old used Pis for cheap? All I can find is eBay sellers asking for more than the cost of the Pi 3.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xtal posted:

Three of my eight raspberry pis are idle right now, anyone got any cool ideas before I fill my apartment with cameras?

You know how spacecraft and sensitive military hardware will have three identical computer systems for vital things, where decisions must be agreed to by at least 2 of the systems independently in order to be done (the idea being that it's probably the 1 system that disagrees that has an error)? Try to rig up a system like that with your 3 idle Pis.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

xtal posted:

I'm just finishing up building a security camera for my Hackspace (rasppi + camera) which takes photos if motion is sensed and uploads them to Dropbox.

I think I've ironed out all the kinks and would love some feedback.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Anyone have cheap recommendations for HDMI monitors that are pi zero compatible? I'm thinking of testing some stuff out on a test display before fully investing in a HiDPI 10" display.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

xtal posted:

InfluxDB / Grafana server for logging and graphing temperature, humidity, and other sensors around your apartment.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ethereal posted:

Anyone have cheap recommendations for HDMI monitors that are pi zero compatible? I'm thinking of testing some stuff out on a test display before fully investing in a HiDPI 10" display.

The Rapsberry Pi GPUs are not really capable of handling resolutions above 1920x1080 well at all, due to graphical power and memory limitations, and the Pi Zero especially can't. Don't bother trying to buy an HiDPI monitor, stick with 1080p or lower.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xtal posted:

Get a Z-wave stick or shield and start the journey into home automation. :homebrew:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

ante posted:

InfluxDB / Grafana server for logging and graphing temperature, humidity, and other sensors around your apartment.

l like this idea because I can also use it to control other devices. Thanks!

Subjunctive posted:

Get a Z-wave stick or shield and start the journey into home automation. :homebrew:

I feel like all the cool home automation stuff requires permanent modifications​ to the place which I can't do since I rent

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Looking forward to all of the raspberry pi cases that'll be directly derived from the switch

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xtal posted:

I feel like all the cool home automation stuff requires permanent modifications​ to the place which I can't do since I rent

Light switch replacement is reversible, but there are also plugs and bulbs to work with. If you have a dumb fireplace or similar remote, you can also learn to impersonate that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Super Slash posted:

... they've kept the USB connectors so close together, all they needed to do was shunt the left one about 3mm away from the other and it could comfortably fit most USB dongles...

The Pi zero us a bit of a nuisance for connectors. I suppose it comes down to being a "hacker device". Ie work it out yourself! Or that's the impression I get.

My zero is used as a full time RISC OS machine with a homebrew audio out and rtc board attached to the top. Works well but it can't reasonably fit in any case.
The top board is also set up for easy rigging with Dupont wires. It's how I connected an SPI ethernet adaptor until the USB one arrived.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Connectivity isn't that useful anyway

xtal fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 5, 2017

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Well I ended up buying one of the new W boards and finally tried it tonight, and the thing won't power on... awesome.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

Recently I ordered two Raspberry Pi 3s a few days apart from the same Amazon link. One arrived in a secure, official-looking box, while the other was shipped loose in an anti-static bag housed in a bubble wrap mailer.
The one that came in the bubble wrap is missing a GPIO pin.

It hasn't been sheared or bent off or appear to have been damaged in shipping. It looks like it was never there at all, kind of like what happened to the guy at this link. I was never planning to use the GPIO pins on either of these boards, but I'd like to know if it's safe to use this one at all. Like, is it going to short out or burn anything down if I plan to use it as a 24/7 pihole/vpn box? FWIW, if I'm reading this layout right, it's pin #38 GPIO20.

This screams counterfeit to me. Amazon is infamous in the defense industry for bullshit like this to the point where we simply can't order anything from them.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CarForumPoster posted:

This screams counterfeit to me. Amazon is infamous in the defense industry for bullshit like this to the point where we simply can't order anything from them.

What kind of stuff is the defense industry ordering on amazon?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Do you think the 55 gallon drum of lube is for consumer?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

xtal posted:

Do you think the 55 gallon drum of lube is for consumer?

Don't judge what I do in the privacy of my home

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

CarForumPoster posted:

A missing GPIO pin makes you think counterfeit? It's probably just a factory defect since you could just hammer/solder a new one in, but if you aren't using it in the first place its a non-issue.

Apparently the new Zero only works with the latest version of Raspbian, shame since PiBakery is super useful but its cool to now only need a power cable and no more wifi dongle.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Super Slash posted:

A missing GPIO pin makes you think counterfeit? It's probably just a factory defect since you could just hammer/solder a new one in, but if you aren't using it in the first place its a non-issue.

Apparently the new Zero only works with the latest version of Raspbian, shame since PiBakery is super useful but its cool to now only need a power cable and no more wifi dongle.

A missing GPIO pin and shipped in shoddier packaging but yes. Do you think that a company the size of the RPi foundation has literally 0 QC procedures? It is hilariously easy to 100% automate finding defects like that. They're a ~$10million/year in sales company that sells nothing but these.

GutBomb posted:

What kind of stuff is the defense industry ordering on amazon?

Nice try Vladimir.

Nothing because they can't, but certainly not stuff sold to the government. Could use electronics to do quick and dirty tests, power conversion, etc.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 6, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
For a course this year, I have to make something with a raspberry pi 3. They haven't released guidelines yet but I have absolutely 0 ideas for anything that would be cool. It is a beginner class so I'm not sure how much they'll really expect but I'd still like to do something that I'd enjoy making. Any suggestions?

E: The only thing I could think of personally would be something where it automatically chucks raws and jpgs in the right folders on my harddrive when I put my sd card in it, but that feels like it'd be way too simple, and not really use the pi. Also you could do it with a python script or something.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 8, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

underage at the vape shop posted:

For a course this year, I have to make something with a raspberry pi 3. They haven't released guidelines yet but I have absolutely 0 ideas for anything that would be cool. It is a beginner class so I'm not sure how much they'll really expect but I'd still like to do something that I'd enjoy making. Any suggestions?

E: The only thing I could think of personally would be something where it automatically chucks raws and jpgs in the right folders on my harddrive when I put my sd card in it, but that feels like it'd be way too simple, and not really use the pi. Also you could do it with a python script or something.

Use a relay, lamp and a webcam to make a device that will flick a light on and off as rapidly as possible when it sees a person. You'll have to fiddle with the timing to see how quickly a modern CFL / LED bulb can be turned on and off without breaking.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Whatever it is, as someone who's done quite a bit of hiring lately, it should have a database, a front end, and absolutely post the source code on your github account online

Some sort of fast food kiosk ordering system with the 7" touchscreen would be cool, and a way to quickly access your previous orders (to order again) using a 4 digit pin would be great.

As a student, any project you work on that can be easily described over the phone and source code you can point to that proves you did it, is a huge win during a phone interview.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hadlock posted:

Whatever it is, as someone who's done quite a bit of hiring lately, it should have a database, a front end, and absolutely post the source code on your github account online

Some sort of fast food kiosk ordering system with the 7" touchscreen would be cool, and a way to quickly access your previous orders (to order again) using a 4 digit pin would be great.

As a student, any project you work on that can be easily described over the phone and source code you can point to that proves you did it, is a huge win during a phone interview.

This except find a USB credit card reader that works with Debian (if possible). Explain that you swipe your card and it brings up your saved orders then bills you.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

This except find a USB credit card reader that works with Debian (if possible). Explain that you swipe your card and it brings up your saved orders then bills you.

I would hire this kid as a junior developer no problem

I'm gonna vomit if I see another yelp/twitter clone written in java "in a team of three"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Those are all way better ideas, I just saw "beginner class" and spat out the first dumb idea that popped into my head.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CarForumPoster posted:

This except secretly log everyone’s card numbers, just in case.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Hadlock posted:

This sounds pretty cool, and unique, and a pretty easy way to get full marks if I can make it work. I think I could probably do it pretty quickly too, like once I figure out how to make it work for 1 item, I can just remake the maccas self serve kiosk. Only problem is that the touchscreen is kinda expensive (96 aud)

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 8, 2017

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

is a weather station too cliche ? temp, humidity and barometric sensors are cheap enough, and you could database the readings and graph it on a web server. that would cover scripting, reading the GPIO pins, databases, web server stuff etc. once you have the data you can do other stuff like 'today is the hottest day since $whenever' and so on.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I have a camera/raspberry pi setup in my makerspace which I'd like to upload images to my hosting. My current thoughts with regards to security are to password protect the Raspberry Pi itself and then use SSH to send files from the Pi to my hosting. As far as leaving the login info to my hosting on the Pi, should I be worried about this? Is there some way to have it so the Pi can only have access to create image files on my hosting and do nothing else?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

huhu posted:

I have a camera/raspberry pi setup in my makerspace which I'd like to upload images to my hosting. My current thoughts with regards to security are to password protect the Raspberry Pi itself and then use SSH to send files from the Pi to my hosting. As far as leaving the login info to my hosting on the Pi, should I be worried about this? Is there some way to have it so the Pi can only have access to create image files on my hosting and do nothing else?

Create a user who only has permissions to the one directory you want the files to land in, then use SSH keys?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah use SSH key auth for this, create a pi user on your file store with permissions to that directory, then take the Pi's ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub and add it to the for stores authorized hosts file, then just SCP the file from pi to file host. Or use rsync?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Pi 4 is at least 2 years away apparently.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

huhu posted:

chown -R huhu:huhu mydir
chmod -R +0700 mydir

I suck at linux security though, am I missing some poo poo with the sticky bit or other obscure bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This depends on how paranoid you want to be. Any common file transfer protocol that lets you write will also let you read and overwrite. You could rig together a program that takes input and writes it to a file, authorized by a shared secret, and not worry much if the secret was compromised. This may also be possible using the command option in authorized_keys?