Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That would indicate they know about us having reached our victory condition, and are throwing the game in an entertaining fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

e: Hegel, Steinrokkan, anyone else
Do you think that Hegel's position would be improved by moving three infantry companies from 77bde's back row into a line going straight north from 77bde's western- and northernmost current infantry company? Beef it up with the easternmost MG? Or is it all the same?
if i move co'ys backward i run the risk of backing up onto my own artillery, where precisely are you thinking of having me put them

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Working off this picture, which is the last GM-official one I have of 77bde's position

https://lpix.org/2726498/Mon%20Pere%20in%20the%20valley%20of%20death.PNG

Thick lines are probably good. If we swing the westernmost five companies, those four inf and the MG, north?

Like so? Yellow infantry plus that MG move, black are the new positions. That new thing in the corner is the MG.

Jaguars!, can you queue up some wire in front of 77bde as well? What's the wire situation anyway, do we have any left? I think we had three obstacles' worth. It should be off the corner of the new position, we have a lot of guns on the Southern front but that corner would be a weaker spot.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 4, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

Working off this picture, which is the last GM-official one I have of 77bde's position

Thick lines are probably good. If we swing the westernmost five companies, those four inf and the MG, north?

Like so? Yellow infantry plus that MG move, black are the new positions. That new thing in the corner is the MG.

Jaguars!, can you queue up some wire in front of 77bde as well? What's the wire situation anyway, do we have any left? I think we had three obstacles' worth.

i wonder if that 7.5 that showed up and decided to tag along could go next to my headquarters to avoid stepping on the infantry's heels. (i suppose my headquarters is some canvas stretched out in the trees, leading from as close to the front as i can in the 20th century. horses hobbled next to the table i'm writing my messages on, i light my cigarettes from my own campfire...roughing it!)

i already asked him for wire, i'm thinking southwest of my line, protecting my right flank

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Jaguars!, can you queue up some wire in front of 77bde as well? What's the wire situation anyway, do we have any left? I think we had three obstacles' worth. It should be off the corner of the new position, we have a lot of guns on the Southern front but that corner would be a weaker spot.

Don't forget we can also pilfer wire from the various farms. It would be easy to get some from Ferme de Beurre, and under the cover of night we might even steal some from Fraise-Champs.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Trin, can we get a broader picture of our current deployments? I realise we can't see jack, but it would be sort of handy to have.

EDIT: also, can you tell us which phone lines from STC are currently usable? The road layout in the west makes it sort of confusing in light of the French movements in that area.

EDIT2: also, at what time will there be light?

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 4, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hegel yeah, I already edited in that it should be to the SW

Jaguars! was already bravely, patriotically liberating perfidious French farm wire but I lost track, so he'd have to give us an update on where we stand.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
45 Brigade Orders

Please re position infantry and machine guns as shown in the above picture. Artillery is to remain unlimbered and stationary, meanwhile all units that can should begin to entrench.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I am worried about an enemy flank from the north, via Bois de Gooneville. Can we do something about it?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Our setup does looks a bit open, hence me reordering 77bde, but I think them successfully walking a multibrigade force around the entire map in the dark is a less likely scenario.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
True, but all it would take would be one brigade, maybe two to gently caress us up beyond our capacity to defend the town. And they've already had 8 turns to do it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Do you already have something specific in mind that you'd like done about it?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Maybe extend Hegel's line a little bit to cover Bois, at least with a tripwire picket line?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ok, I've slept on it and think I can be a bit more civil now.

After doing some more thinking, I'm still of the opinion that sending Saros towards Haltebruit is the best thing to do. Up until last turn, what I would be doing in their shoes is getting everything lined up on a line from roughly Dejeuner to Clemenceau for a massed attack at the crack of dawn. Now that Mon Pere is dead and the Entente's ability to change orders is in all likelihood thoroughly shot to hell, they're probably going to be reduced to stumbling around on previous orders and unable to send the "go" signal - at least, not to everybody at once. So, the two things that could happen are either they trickle in piecemeal and get vaporized basically no matter which direction they come from, or they have to send every single unit an order saying "go at time X", which is probably a billion years in the future (or at least well after our timer runs out a single hour after sunrise) to make sure everybody's got enough time to roll well on the change of orders and get in position while accounting for the getting lost factor and the wrecked C&C that comes with a dead corps commander.

Given that, I think we can get away with sending Saros. The way things are now, we can fend off a series of piecemeal attacks easily, and if they want to mass everything for one big attack it would come after the game's over anyways. Making an end run around all their notional dudes on Dejeuner and into Q is admittedly a bit of a Hail Mary, but it's the end of the game and we can get away with a gamble that would turn a minor victory/stalemate into a proper one. Everyone else just sits where they are and finishes digging their trenches, popping off a few shots at any Frenchmen brave and/or stupid enough to follow their brave Mon Pere in.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Maybe extend Hegel's line a little bit to cover Bois, at least with a tripwire picket line?

Beyond what I already ordered her to you mean?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Can HEGEL even move without switching the entire brigade to Attack stance and moving everyone? I thought Trin removed the "you can shuffle X percent around while remaining in defensive mode" rule.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Idk but that would be pretty silly

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sandman was definitely able to move his cos. piecemeal.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Trin Tragula posted:

All three types of company must remain stationary on Defend stance. I originally wrote a "shuffling" rule to allow some companies to move while defending; this has now been revoked.

Unless there's a more recent change, I don't think we can.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

TheSandman's Baguette orders were invalid as written because they required all companies to come to a stop, and then a single other company to subsequently move. TheSandman's picketing orders were valid as written because they involved all companies moving at once; if all companies begin moving at the same time, they are allowed to then come to a stop on different turns as long as everyone moves to an appreciably different position. If you switch to Attack stance, everyone has to move; but there's then flexibility around when they're required to come to a stop.

It would be virtually impossible for me to put brigades in their designed formations if this were not the case. One or more of their companies inevitably have to be shuffled around during their movement, or end up not being able to use their full movement, in order to avoid being positioned overlapping companies from other brigades; and then they end up out of sync with what everyone else is doing, and a strict interpretation of "all move/none move" would end up leaving dents and irregularities in your formation. Plans should not be hosed up irretrievably because brigades accidentally wandered too close to each other, or a lone wandering enemy constrains your movement for a turn or two while a few companies shoot at it; it should be possible for brigadiers to be able to draw arrows on a map without necessarily including individual company chits and still have faith that everyone will get to more or less where they want to go.

vvv Correct; now that they have taken position and switched to Defend, everyone has to move once they switch back to Attack. vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 4, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Right, but now that HEGEL is dug in with her trenches and on defensive stance, she can't just shuffle a few infantry chits to the west flank like we used to be able to?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So, question: can I detach my HQ from the rest of my brigade and give it individual orders?

Because as stated, the rest of my brigade won't be needing orders now. It's where it has to be.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Can I ask what the reasoning for rolling the formation changing mechanics into attack stance is, it seems very counterintuitive. Is it just to reduce the complexity of orders?

I appreciate that you are not dogmatic about the 8in movement only rule, which IIRC was a sticking point for Grey.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

All move/no move is for simplicity's sake, yes. I playtested a load of variations and shuffling-on-Defend in particular was an absolute pain in the arse to keep straight in my head. I need to be able to scroll down a list of brigades quickly and be able to tell whether I should be moving it or not at a second's glance, otherwise it literally quadruples the length of adjudications while I check and re-check everyone's orders on every turn to make sure they didn't e.g. include a shuffling rider for halfway through the phase. (And then I have to keep straight whether they want to move at 8" regardless of circumstances and not use rifle fire if attacked, or only move at 4" so they can use rifle fire, while also trying to keep this separate from what the standing order says they should do, and then there's most of the brigade which gets to fire in the Stationary Rifles phase except this one little bit which has to wait until the Moving Rifles phase...)

The Sandman posted:

So, question: can I detach my HQ from the rest of my brigade and give it individual orders?

Because as stated, the rest of my brigade won't be needing orders now. It's where it has to be.

No.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 4, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

So are we sending Saros or not?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Look, guys (and gal), is there any real reason not to humor Cryo?

Especially when thus far he's been consistently right about what the enemy is doing?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Now that we are stuck in our positions, I'm inclined to position Saros as a northern picket instead, to protect us from getting stabbed in the back.

Additionally, other commanders should include conditional commands in case somebody appears from an angle where our guns are unprotected

Also since you are also not fortifying, Sandman, I would ask you to consider shifting your own picket to cover Kev's flank a bit more substantially.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alright, in the end it is your call. I've made my case as best I can, and if you think Saros would REALLY be more useful watching the north I'll go along with it. I disagree, rather vehemently, but it's your division.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean, if we could get our other brigades to establish a perimeter on their own, it would be fine. But now we can't without leaving the trenches, apparently.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Trin, one last clarification, so if we wanted to shift the troops as e.g. Koolkevz indicated, would it take moving the entire brigade 8" in one direction, stopping, then moving back and letting companies fill the drawn formation on their own discretion?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I still think we're being unreasonably cautious. Is it POSSIBLE that they somehow got a large force to the other side of the map in the dead of night without getting hopelessly lost and/or blundering into us? Yes. Is it likely enough that we should be planning around it and throwing away our last chance at a major victory? Not at all. I don't see any realistic situation where Saros manning the defenses just in case they attack from out of nowhere is more useful than having him go for the objective just in case they left it unguarded.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
Shift my guys near Baguette to cover the trenches Saros is in. That frees up his troops while still giving us warning if the French try something on Pasteur.

Also, I was pretty sure my guys start digging in automatically if they're in defensive stance.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, they may be digging, but they are not expected to really put up a fight from where they are right now, are they?

Crazycryodude posted:

I still think we're being unreasonably cautious. Is it POSSIBLE that they somehow got a large force to the other side of the map in the dead of night without getting hopelessly lost and/or blundering into us? Yes. Is it likely enough that we should be planning around it and throwing away our last chance at a major victory? Not at all. I don't see any realistic situation where Saros manning the defenses just in case they attack from out of nowhere is more useful than having him go for the objective just in case they left it unguarded.

Well, your proposal is attractive, but I AM cautious... So, I say let the Corps commander decide if we can spare Saros.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 4, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
THE SANDMAN - UPDATED ORDERS

Reform your picket line to cover more of northern approaches, going up to Pasteur.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Trin, one last clarification, so if we wanted to shift the troops as e.g. Koolkevz indicated, would it take moving the entire brigade 8" in one direction, stopping, then moving back and letting companies fill the drawn formation on their own discretion?

They would have to move and move back, yes. This does make fiddly minor adjustments difficult. This is by design. It is also by design that it takes slightly longer than one full daytime update for a company to entrench itself. You may wish to reflect on why this is.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Don't send Saros on a suicide mission for gently caress's sake. It's gamy as gently caress to go well if we technically have someone in there it totally counts, he has to go a far, far way through what is essentially a minefield where he can explode at every step, losses have got to count for victory conditions as well, and we're already back to taking our position for granted when the only difference between now and back when we were considering ourselves essentially dead is that the enemy is short a cav bde and four infantry coys. If we're going to expend forces I want to expend them in a way where it's not just a coin flip but part of a proper effort.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 4, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
SAROS - updated orders

Move towards Q along the western edge of the map. Hopefully you won't run into anything.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 4, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm gonna be so ticked off if when this is over it turns out we could've totally gotten away with it

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 4, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
You guys do realize that if the French had a mirrored objective, they probably have guys sitting on it by this point?

I think we have to at least try to grab Quatrepouts the sneaky way.

EDIT: Seriously, Saros is effectively a regimental commander instead of a brigadier at this point. If the French can drive us out of our current position at night while their commander structure is shot to hell, three companies of infantry aren't going to make a difference.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So? the dice have been rolled, if we got there first, we win, if they got there first, they win. No need to grasp at straws for a major victory when we can ensure a minor one. Right now our flanks are wide open.

E: Saros is not supposed to fight, he is supposed to prevent the enemy from charging straight into our artillery ala Dej

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 4, 2017

• Locked thread