Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zelda is the best but does anyone know if there are real dungeons or is it just lots of the mini puzzle shrines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Has anyone played BOTW on the WiiU to compare it to the Switch version in terms of performance/how much less pretty isit? It'll be a while before I can ever get a Switch, but I'd like to try BOTW on the WiiU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Surely these new games can somehow be described as 'the dark souls of yadda yadda yadda'.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Macaluso posted:

Has anyone played BOTW on the WiiU to compare it to the Switch version in terms of performance/how much less pretty isit? It'll be a while before I can ever get a Switch, but I'd like to try BOTW on the WiiU

Digital Foundry has a youtube video out that compares the first hour of the two. At the end of the day they conclude that the Wii U version is pretty great and the Switch version looks mildly better on the screen (due to higher resolution) and has a few less frame drops while undocked (at the same resolution as the wii u version).

It basically sold me on getting zelda for the wii u.

edit: link to vid

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oddium posted:

zelda is mgs5 + witcher 3

funny, I was thinking Journey + Shadow of the Colossus.

Playing it on WiiU and no major issues with it. I'm a massive stickler rear end in a top hat for framerates but nothing really comes up that's major enough for me to kill myself, game looks beautiful.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah the wii u version of zelda doesn't have any issues you won't get playing the switch version docked, it's pretty great

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Digital Foundry has a youtube video out that compares the first hour of the two. At the end of the day they conclude that the Wii U version is pretty great and the Switch version looks mildly better on the screen (due to higher resolution) and has a few less frame drops while undocked (at the same resolution as the wii u version).

It basically sold me on getting zelda for the wii u.

edit: link to vid

Thanks didn't know about that video! It was helpful.

The FPS issues seem really strange to me. I know it's a huge open world but Nintendo is generally really goo when it comes to the FPS of their games, so it's strange to me that A) the game never really hits 60 on either console and B) the big frame drops can happen in different places on both games.

I think most people playing this game aren't going to care so it doesn't matter all that much it is slightly disappointing Nintendo couldn't get a consistent 60 fps in this game like they can a lot of their other first party stuff. It looks like the FPS problems are still pretty minor though

The game still looks really fun though regardless, it looks so much more different than other Zelda games, which I'm pretty lukewarm on the 3D Zeldas for the most part.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Playing it on WiiU and no major issues with it. I'm a massive stickler rear end in a top hat for framerates but nothing really comes up that's major enough for me to kill myself, game looks beautiful.

This is good to know! I'm also that way about framerates so that's good to hear

edit: now on to more pressing matters: Having to wait til APRIL to play the Shovel Knight DLC :mad:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Help Im Alive posted:

Zelda is the best but does anyone know if there are real dungeons or is it just lots of the mini puzzle shrines

It does, but from what I understand there might only be four in the world, plus the "endgame" dungeon. And the they're very different in concept from a regular Zelda dungeon, though no less impressive.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

honestly a lot of the framerate "problem videos" I saw for Zelda involved a few seconds on the Plateau starting area, which is an area that overlooks like the ENTIRE loving gameworld so I can understand why rendering and displaying all that poo poo might momentarily stutter a bit. A few stutters when fighting like 5 or more enemies but it hardly bothered me. it's really nothng different from what might happen if you played Bloodborne, which was also mainly 30fps with occasional quick lapses.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All games should be on PC, all games deserve 60 fps

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

:yeah:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In the N64 Zelda games when attacking bosses brought the frame rate down to the single digits it felt super badbass.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

I used to not be so anal about framerates, but then TressFX happened...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Zelda is: Adventure; hobby-grade campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Zelda Heroes!

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I gotta say, I'm eating my words with Horizon. All of the preview stuff had me thinking it'd be a boring Ubisoft-clone open world busywork-fest with like maybe four cool robot fights so they could use them for preview footage. I was pretty wrong. It doesn't do anything mindblowing with the open world formula, but it just nails the feeling of the core gameplay and the robo-dino fights don't disappoint at all. There's a surprising amount of flexibility in combat and I'm way into that.

It's a good game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I've been told there both are and aren't and I don't know who to believe but I'm leaning towards yes there are.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I mean Nintendo is generally pretty good at getting 60 fps for their games and they're never on PC. 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Smash, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker all ran at 60

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

There are real dungeons. Four of them, total. They're apparently not quite as big and sprawling as previous Zelda dungeons but they're much bigger than shrines and have some cool mechanics and bosses.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MinibarMatchman posted:

honestly a lot of the framerate "problem videos" I saw for Zelda involved a few seconds on the Plateau starting area, which is an area that overlooks like the ENTIRE loving gameworld so I can understand why rendering and displaying all that poo poo might momentarily stutter a bit. A few stutters when fighting like 5 or more enemies but it hardly bothered me. it's really nothng different from what might happen if you played Bloodborne, which was also mainly 30fps with occasional quick lapses.

The frame rate gets really bad in towns and I hope they patch it at some point because it's 'the bad bits of The Last Guardian' bad. You're very rarely spending a lot of time there though.

Jay Rust posted:

I'm fine with 30fps if i don't have to deal with PC bullshit

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm fine with 30fps if i don't have to deal with PC bullshit

It is refreshing that Horizon runs at a super stable 30fps and I don't have to endlessly tweak settings like I would on my PC to get ~maximum performance~.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I'm hitting hype backlash on Zelda. I'm about to go finally pick it up but the more I read hyperbolic reactions to it in the Breath of the Wild thread the more skeptical I get.

I don't doubt it's a very, very good open world game, but I feel like people are reacting to things that are general open world conventions as though Breath of the Wild is the first game ever to do them and their mind is blown. Is it just that it's both a very good open world game and also has the Zelda franchise, or are there concrete things about it that really do make it the most incredible open world game ever? Mild gameplay spoilers are okay--I've already spoiled myself on things like how many dungeons there are, so clearly I'm not going in totally blind.

exquisite tea posted:

It is refreshing that Horizon runs at a super stable 30fps and I don't have to endlessly tweak settings like I would on my PC to get ~maximum performance~.

It's also really impressive. It's one of the prettiest games I've ever played, console or PC, and here it is running at a drat-near perfectly stable 30 fps at 1080p on a base PS4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The only areas where Guerilla cut some corners to get the most out of the PS4 hardware are noticeable texture pop-in for open areas and water reflections, while keeping the single most important aspect (TressFX) intact.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh right, redbox is a thing. Perhaps i will just rent Horizon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Going to be at Emerald City Comic Con today :toot:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

I think I'm hitting hype backlash on Zelda. I'm about to go finally pick it up but the more I read hyperbolic reactions to it in the Breath of the Wild thread the more skeptical I get.

I don't doubt it's a very, very good open world game, but I feel like people are reacting to things that are general open world conventions as though Breath of the Wild is the first game ever to do them and their mind is blown. Is it just that it's both a very good open world game and also has the Zelda franchise, or are there concrete things about it that really do make it the most incredible open world game ever? Mild gameplay spoilers are okay--I've already spoiled myself on things like how many dungeons there are, so clearly I'm not going in totally blind.

The biggest thing that BotW does differently to most open world games to me is that there's very little gating, the tutorial section won't let you leave until you've done what it wants you to but after that you have all the main powers and you can kind of just run off in whatever direction you want. You do run the risk of running into enemies that are too tough for you, but if you can kill them and take thier better weapons you level the playing field pretty quick.
Other than that the world feels more 'alive' than any other open world I've seen.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

I still think nothing can touch the amount of story and beauty presented in Witcher 3's world. Zelda is by all means a very nice change from the "go here, do dungeon, get item, move on" dichotomy of Zelda games but it achieves that through a kind of minimalism and simple joy in just being able to climb anywhere, do whatever in any order or jurisdiction, and play with things like physics, cooking, crafting, weaponry collecting, taming a horse, etc etc. By the end of the month I'm sure both Horizon and Zelda will have the same kind of praise about the things they achieve in open world gameplay.

I do think there is a poo poo ton of hyperbole though, I mean for god's sake Skyward Sword got like the same kind of "masterpiece" reviews and that game railroads you hard, gives you the same loving bosses over and over, relies on loving wiimote control, and inflicts you with a flying skyward gimmick that is boring and doesn't do much. It's a Zelda game and idc what anyone says, there is a degree of insulation around the series. That being said I think even after a day, BotW is 200x better than Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword by virtue of just not doing the same boring poo poo. For once it feels like an adventure and it's exciting purely because you have no idea what's next and you're free to conquer anything you feel like doing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

bloodychill posted:

Finding out that CDPR helped Guerilla on Horizon
Oh poo poo, now I'll have to get it sooner than later.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

exquisite tea posted:

It must be horrifying to live in a temporal anomaly stuck between 1996 and the present day

I can't remember the last time i had to tweak settings on a game beyond maybe screen resolution

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

has anyone played both Horizon and Zelda? Honestly I want to play/try both but idk where the biggest differences are. I haven't played any open world adventures since Witcher 3 so I'm fresh for the experience. The only things I know probably differ in Zelda are climbing virtually anything, weapon durability, a parachute, more sparse story, 100 little temples to upgrade your poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

I still think nothing can touch the amount of story and beauty presented in Witcher 3's world. Zelda is by all means a very nice change from the "go here, do dungeon, get item, move on" dichotomy of Zelda games but it achieves that through a kind of minimalism and simple joy in just being able to climb anywhere, do whatever in any order or jurisdiction, and play with things like physics, cooking, crafting, weaponry collecting, taming a horse, etc etc. By the end of the month I'm sure both Horizon and Zelda will have the same kind of praise about the things they achieve in open world gameplay.

I do think there is a poo poo ton of hyperbole though, I mean for god's sake Skyward Sword got like the same kind of "masterpiece" reviews and that game railroads you hard, gives you the same loving bosses over and over, relies on loving wiimote control, and inflicts you with a flying skyward gimmick that is boring and doesn't do much. It's a Zelda game and idc what anyone says, there is a degree of insulation around the series. That being said I think even after a day, BotW is 200x better than Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword by virtue of just not doing the same boring poo poo. For once it feels like an adventure and it's exciting purely because you have no idea what's next and you're free to conquer anything you feel like doing.

It blows my mind sometimes how well skyward sword reviewed

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

has anyone played both Horizon and Zelda? Honestly I want to play/try both but idk where the biggest differences are. I haven't played any open world adventures since Witcher 3 so I'm fresh for the experience. The only things I know probably differ in Zelda are climbing virtually anything, weapon durability, a parachute, more sparse story, 100 little temples to upgrade your poo poo.

I haven't played Zelda personally but I am given to understand Horizon has a way better story and is generally a lot more like Witcher 3 in good ways.

Like I've complained about Games constantly bringing up Witcher 3 but Horizon is a game where the comparison is warranted.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

raditts posted:

It must be horrifying to live in a temporal anomaly stuck between 1996 and the present day

I can't remember the last time i had to tweak settings on a game beyond maybe screen resolution

I have to, because I don't have the money and the time to build or buy a nice rig nor the location to have a desktop instead of a laptop. So I have 8 gb of ram and a mid range laptop graphics card, which isn't enough for max settings and 60 fps on a lot of 3D games with modern graphics.

Not everyone has a nice pc because nice pcs are still luxury goods that are more fiddly than the luxury good that is a console.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

raditts posted:

I have to every single time I start a new one.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Replace your TV with a desktop computer

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
There is a lot of hyperbole about BotW going around, but I really am having a great time with it and it's impressive how carefully crafted and packed with stuff the world is. But what I really love is that it's the first Zelda game in a long time that doesn't force you through hours of tutorial and story before letting you just explore. It really does have that 'just dropped into the world and set off to explore' feeling of Zelda 1.

Christ, Skyward Sword felt like I was on a railroad through the entire game, from beginning to end. Even worse constantly being stopped to have Fi tell you things.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 4, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Game super early gives you "DEFEAT GANON" as an objective and then just turns you loose to go figure out how to do that, it's awesome.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Like is there any direction at all? Are you meant to run around blindly or are there quest markers?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's other plot quests yeah

e: with map waypoints and everything

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I recently got back into FF14, and an early quest tasked me with surveying townspeople to find out the most popular color of dress.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

it's true

• Locked thread