Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

So it is a difference between Canadian and US law then. I don't think we have a MTOW restriction, but any aircraft with Vs0 > 80kts or Vne > 250 requires a type rating, regardless of engines or weight.

Does that mean that a TBM700, for example, wouldn't require a type rating in the US?
Nope! Under 12,500lbs MTOW and not-a-turbojet (and not on this list, which the TBM isn't) means any rando with a few million to burn can more or less hop in and go. You would need one-time signoffs for operating a complex, high-performance, pressurized aircraft though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Forgot to post about needing an update the OP, I am officially an MEI :toot:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

CBJSprague24 posted:

What's the logic in :canada: behind working the ramp before actually getting flight time at a company? A form of "payin' your dues"/getting your foot in the door or vetting the employees to see who's worth it?

Being from :911: and watching Ice Pilots NWT when I was still thinking of going the pilot route (though I think even in this thread, it's been said they're a less-than-desirable place to work), the concept of "Well, go live in Hay River and meet the flights as a rampie, then be a rampie in Yellowknife, then serve coffee to the folks in the back in the sked there and then maybe we'll let you fly" format seemed totally foreign/rear end backwards in terms of getting time built to go somewhere else eventually.

It's a complex problem really. Canada pumps out a gently caress ton of 250 hour wonders, due to programs like Confederation College, Seneca, Sault, and that one in Quebec as well as some others across the country that are subsidized by the government (for us, all College and University is heavily subsidized and a few aviation programs snuck in to that scheme before the doors were slammed shut on it). As a result you have a tonne of kids who are willing to work for pennies because their training cost them (effectively) jack poo poo.

On the flip side of this you have operators that exploit the hell out of low-timers to save a few bucks. All jobs in the north pay a stupidly high wage because nobody wants to live there. So instead of having highly paid rampies, they can pay peanuts to some bright-eyed southern kid who's looking for his shot. It's extra greasy in my eyes because said high paying rampie jobs could really help the economically depressed territories, but folks like Buffalo Joe want to keep every nickel they can scrounge up.

So that's enough to create a system. Then others (pilots and companies) get sucked into said system because "that's just the way she goes, bud."

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

e.pilot posted:

Forgot to post about needing an update the OP, I am officially an MEI :toot:

Super congrats! I'm taking my MEI ride soon. Any chance you could post a gouge for both your oral and practical including lessons learned? I really think I'm over thinking this one, but I like to be very prepared.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Captain Apollo posted:

Super congrats! I'm taking my MEI ride soon. Any chance you could post a gouge for both your oral and practical including lessons learned? I really think I'm over thinking this one, but I like to be very prepared.

It was a journey, between a combination of a bad examiner the first time and my own overconfidence the second time, it took me three tries to finish it up. I'll post a full write up when I can get to a computer.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
For anybody having taken a checkride recently, how dumb is the new ACS stuff vs the old pts?
I want to get a float addon but $$$, also risk.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

e.pilot posted:

It was a journey, between a combination of a bad examiner the first time and my own overconfidence the second time, it took me three tries to finish it up. I'll post a full write up when I can get to a computer.

I would really appreciate it. I know how to fly a twin, it I'm not sure exactly what I need to be able to teach and more specifically DO in the multi practical portion.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
I'm loving the flurry of Trailer Park Boys references from the canucks here.

The Slaughter posted:

For anybody having taken a checkride recently, how dumb is the new ACS stuff vs the old pts?
I want to get a float addon but $$$, also risk.

The commercial is still using the PTS (Assuming you'd be doing a commercial SES add-on). That being said, there really isn't much change in the ACS for the PPL/IFR. There's just more of an emphasis on risk management and ADM (ie more scenario based), and the special emphasis areas were worked directly into each task, rather than being their own section. Our examiner was already doing his checkrides like this for quite some time so for us the switch was a non event.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Ah, didn't realize it was just for the PPL. Yeah, most of the checkrides I took had at least some scenario based playtime to them but not too strong.
Looks like I should be upgrading in July, but maybe sooner. I can't wait.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Captain Apollo posted:

I would really appreciate it. I know how to fly a twin, it I'm not sure exactly what I need to be able to teach and more specifically DO in the multi practical portion.

Sorry I'm super late replying, been a hectic week and it slipped my mind.

Know your single engine aerodynamics, know everything that contributes to the left engine being critical in a conventional twin. Know why and where multi is the most dangerous. Be able to list of the things you need to do from a takeoff configuration to clean the plane up and get best SE performance. Have a good takeoff brief covering everything from the takeoff roll, below 1000ft with the gear still down, and above 1000ft with the gear up.

Directional Control is everything. Know what contributes to the lack of it.

Chapter 18 of The Flight Instructor's Manual by William Kershner is solid and has pretty much everything you should know in it, along with some good drawings.

Another good one, though not as concise or written from an instructor standpoint is ASA's Complete Multiengine Pilot.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Captain Apollo posted:

As previously mentioned the only real oral difference is being able to teach OEI aerodynamics, engine failure procedures/ADM and OEI performance calculations. There will probably be some extra systems questions as most twins tend to be complex aircraft while most singles aren't.

As far as the practical is concerned you need to be able to handle engine failures at pretty much any point from the takeoff roll all the way to short final. You also will need to be able to perform a VMC demo.

As far as the teaching aspect you need to be able to determine when it's safe to give a student a failure, simulated or actual. You'll also need to demonstrate that you're aware of the common ways students try to kill you in light twins such as stepping on the wrong rudder, adding full power without corresponding rudder input, sloppy coordination during stalls. Ect.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Had my first experience flying into bad weather this morning. 0/10 would not fly in it again.

I was trying to do my first solo cross country. Weather was fine where I took off, but about half way there I ran into an overcast layer around 3k feet with a broken layer underneath. I tried to see if there was a way around, but I would have had to be weaving between clouds or fly around 1500 feet, neither of which seemed like a great idea, so I turned around. That's when I realized a 35mph headwind isn't bad until you try to turn 180 in it. Made it safely back to my home airport but the weather came with me. Took me two tries to land in a gusting crosswind.

Overall I think I made good decisions about my own limits and turning around, but I wish I had made them sooner. The weather was much worse than reported, but I probably shouldn't have gone up at all.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 14, 2017

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Nuggan posted:

Had my first experience flying into bad weather this morning. 0/10 would not fly in it again.

I was trying to do my first solo cross country. Weather was fine where I took off, but about half way there I ran into an overcast layer around 3k feet with a broken layer underneath. I tried to see if there was a way around, but I would have had to be weaving between clouds or fly around 1500 feet, neither of which seemed like a great idea, so I turned around. That's when I realized a 35mph headwind isn't bad until you try to turn 180 in it. Made it safely back to my home airport but the weather came with me. Took me two tries to land in a gusting crosswind.

Overall I think I made good decisions about my own limits and turning around, but I wish I had made them sooner. The weather was much worse than reported, but I probably shouldn't have gone up at all.

Every pilot gets into scary moments like this. The important thing is you made the right judgement call and made it back safely. And learned something in the meantime.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You should be applauded for your decision making. We don't get to talk often enough about people who turn around.

Instead we talk far too often about people who don't.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Looking at the pictures I snapped while the air was smooth, it doesn't even look that bad to me now. You can see how low it was pushing me down though.
I didnt get any shots of the heavy broken clouds below the overcast ceiling, I was more concerned about flying the plane while it was bumping all around.
Probably doesn't seem like much of a big deal to more experienced pilots, but it shook me up a bit. I was glad to make it to the ground smoothly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Ferret King posted:

You should be applauded for your decision making. We don't get to talk often enough about people who turn around.

Instead we talk far too often about people who don't.

Yep. Just because you probably could get away with something, or you're legally allowed to do something, doesn't mean you should. Knowing your limits is important, although occasionally getting to your limits I think is also underrated -- you want to expand what you feel comfortable with in controlled circumstances, so if/when you're in that situation again, under less favourable circumstances, you don't freak out. For example, it's better that your first encounter with weather at minimums is in the circuit or close to your home airport, rather than in the middle of a long cross-country.

Out of curiosity, do you know if we have any Nav Canada controllers around these forums? Or I suppose Canadian pilots could probably answer this: I'm planning my 300nm cross-country for my CPL requirement, and it'll probably take me to Regina, which is the first time I'll have flown into an airport that does have a tower, but is not in class C airspace. I assume the procedure is to monitor 126.7 until calling tower to enter the control zone, but I'm not sure if there's any traffic avoidance things I should know about beyond that. I'm used to dealing with busy airports and airspace flying out of Springbank, but that's mainly small VFR traffic, not IFR/jet traffic.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Pryor on Fire posted:

Airlines have a long history of cyclical boom & bust, expecting this to change is foolish. The very real possibility of pilots going away much sooner than anyone expects is looming as well. Save some cash youngins, you won't regret it.

Emirates is pretty well aware of this and taking lots of precautionary measures atm. I've heard there's basically a hiring freeze

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

i fly airplanes posted:

Emirates is pretty well aware of this and taking lots of precautionary measures atm. I've heard there's basically a hiring freeze

Emirates is, for a variety of reasons, turbofucked.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
Update to the op..
Please add A330/A350

Ta

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

hjp766 posted:

Update to the op..
Please add A330/A350

Ta

Awesome. Congrats

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hjp766 posted:

Update to the op..
Please add A330/A350

Ta

Nice! Do the 330/350 share a common type rating?

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

KodiakRS posted:

Nice! Do the 330/350 share a common type rating?

Yup. Waiting on accounts to order 350s and then say we don't need training

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

hjp766 posted:

Yup. Waiting on accounts to order 350s and then say we don't need training

can i fly on your new plane?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

hjp766 posted:

Update to the op..
Please add A330/A350

Ta

Goongratulations.
I'll race you on the 767-300

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I had my first CPL pre-flight-test today.

It did not go amazingly, but not terribly either. I have a few more duals to do...

Hadn't practiced spins in six months, so although I went over the recovery procedure in detail, I hosed up the entry and it just.... didn't spin.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Animal posted:

Goongratulations.

Don't tempt fate, was just suggested that if I email the chief pilot they'd quite like me to fly the 767 this summer... :doh::bang:

The head of training did say on no account email before the CAA issue a licence though.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

PT6A posted:

I had my first CPL pre-flight-test today.

It did not go amazingly, but not terribly either. I have a few more duals to do...

Hadn't practiced spins in six months, so although I went over the recovery procedure in detail, I hosed up the entry and it just.... didn't spin.

What aircraft? I did some spin training in a 152 and you had to really force it to spin, and then you had to pretend that stopping the spin required any real effort.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sleepy gary posted:

What aircraft? I did some spin training in a 152 and you had to really force it to spin, and then you had to pretend that stopping the spin required any real effort.

172. My instructor said the trick to getting a left spin was banking right to cause the left wing to stall early, then force the spin with left rudder. Oh well, guess I'll try it on Saturday.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sleepy gary posted:

and then you had to pretend that stopping the spin required any real effort.
this is my favorite part about spinning 152/172s

"oh I seem to have found myself in a spin, I guess I'll hold all the wrong inputs so I can get maybe a full rotation"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

this is my favorite part about spinning 152/172s

"oh I seem to have found myself in a spin, I guess I'll hold all the wrong inputs so I can get maybe a full rotation"

Oh good it's not just me.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Anyone near ORD hear the crazy guy on guard this afternoon? He was yelling about JP-8 having poison in it and that he was placing the military pilots under citizens arrest for not using jet-a. Couldn't tell if it was a joke or a paranoid dude who had spent his money on a transceiver instead of his meds.

PT6A posted:

Oh good it's not just me.

I found that in the 172 if you yaw to the right a bit before trying to spin it gives you a bit of a running start with regards to left yaw. Be wings level in slow flight and slowly get the brick/ball about halfway out to the left. Then simultaneously apply left rudder, right aileron, and full power. You'll end up with enough "yaw momentum" that you actually end up in a spin instead of a spiral.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 17, 2017

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I haven't heard any good guard shenanigans in a long time.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Oh hey, Trump is proposing privatizing ATC and defunding EAS so we can buy some F35s and build a wall and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN™ :911:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.62117f126a6a

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-presidential-budget-2018-proposal/?utm_term=.872f986e1ede

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
On the subject of aeros as we had spare time in the last sim so we decided to practice barrel rolls in the 330... and it worked without exceeding the g-loading

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 17, 2017

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

I completed my private pilot checkride yesterday, so you can add me to the list in the second post... if that's still updated.

Private Pilot, VFR, based at BQ1, flying a Lockwood Super Drifter and building a Rans S-20.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Animal posted:

Goongratulations.

Oh you and your light twins! *tousles hair*

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

whale pilot spotted

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Animal posted:

Arson Daily posted:

whale pilot spotted
Or a Gas Guzzler of some description - DC8, 707, 747 perchance, assuming the descriptor is accurate...

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Winds and clouds having canceled my previous attempt, I finished my first solo cross country today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nlfseUJh9w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Flying NC-AZ on a beeline Tuesday. Anybody on the radios headed that way?

• Locked thread