Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

exquisite tea posted:

Did people ever count the number of star systems in Mass Effect? I don't think I ever cared except to remember "oh yeah there's that Geth base sidequest here."

quote:

Mass Effect News‏ @masseffect_News
(Spoilers: Some mission names) I can count at least 37 systems. ME3 had 104 systems over 34 clusters.

Did you ever doubt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!
im excited for this game guys

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
How many systems in ME1/2/3 actually had something of value in them? I don't think I even bothered with any of the "scan planet, find 5 minute robot shooting or whatever mission" ones in ME2 on any playthrough after the first.

Tbh, this map looks a bit on the cluttered side to me.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

enraged_camel posted:

Hell, same

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mymla posted:

How many systems in ME1/2/3 actually had something of value in them?

More or less every system in ME1 had exactly one planet you could land on which then had the same building or two you saw all game.

enraged_camel posted:

:hf:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Can't wait to biotic charge around the planet like I'm superman trying to turn back time.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Is there no way to get a physical version of the PC special edition of Andromeda on Amazon? I want to use my discount buying the game, but I kind of wanted the special box because I'm a massive nerd.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What do you guys do with the special boxes and stuff? Do you put it on a shelf and display it proudly to family and friends?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I can't wait to fight loads of space bears. So by tying progression to getting planets up and running, they sort of want you to do EVERYTHING you can in the hinterlands now?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nichael posted:

Is there no way to get a physical version of the PC special edition of Andromeda on Amazon? I want to use my discount buying the game, but I kind of wanted the special box because I'm a massive nerd.

I don't think the limited editions have a special box, not like the amazing ones from the previous gen on the 360. They look like they are just cardboard sleeves over a game box. The expensive limited edition thing is the Nomad that doesn't even come with the game.

e: Yeah, lol, you only get a steel book for the game if you buy the Nomad RC or diecast and buy the game separately. The physical deluxe editions or whatever on Amazon are just the game plus extra dlc bits.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 4, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Crabtree posted:

I can't wait to fight loads of space bears. So by tying progression to getting planets up and running, they sort of want you to do EVERYTHING you can in the hinterlands now?

Or do a few things on lots of planets, I imagine. If it works the same way that power did, you can do whatever you want, wherever you want, probably.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DrNutt posted:

I don't think the limited editions have a special box, not like the amazing ones from the previous gen on the 360. They look like they are just cardboard sleeves over a game box. The expensive limited edition thing is the Nomad that doesn't even come with the game.

I mean the "deluxe" edition with... a space monkey in it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crabtree posted:

They're leading us to believe that zones will have less stuff than the Hinterlands, and what stuff there is will actually be interesting and/or plot-related and not "go get me 10 pieces of meat". I mean I'm sure there will be some lame quests but they've specifically talked about how they listened to the complaints people had about the huge zones with too many boring quests.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nichael posted:

Yeah those aren't fancy cases or anything. I went digital this time around.

Still have my ME3 collector's edition with Jennifer Hale's signature somewhere though.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Nichael posted:

how do you feel about a $100 digital collector's edition sporting some multiplayer booster packs

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

precision posted:

They're leading us to believe that zones will have less stuff than the Hinterlands, and what stuff there is will actually be interesting and/or plot-related and not "go get me 10 pieces of meat". I mean I'm sure there will be some lame quests but they've specifically talked about how they listened to the complaints people had about the huge zones with too many boring quests.

Yeah idk, I thought DAI was good despite the sidequests and "open world", and from what I've seen, this game seems pretty likely to be similar in that regard.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nichael posted:

No, the only way for PC to get the deluxe edition is through Origin.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mymla posted:

Yeah idk, I thought DAI was good despite the sidequests and "open world", and from what I've seen, this game seems pretty likely to be similar in that regard.

They should patch a Mako/Nomad into DAI, by the end of Inquisition I was just running through zones giving no fucks about quests.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Ainsley McTree posted:

Or do a few things on lots of planets, I imagine. If it works the same way that power did, you can do whatever you want, wherever you want, probably.

No idea whether story happens once enough parts of the ship are upgraded or people unfrozen or not. They really could expect you to grind at least 2 full planets before something of story signigance happens, depending on how many planets are mandatory or important and how many are just optional fluff.

precision posted:

I'm not entirely against grind, I'm just wondering if they're making grind story important as in "You cannot proceed to fight this battle without X amount of unfrozen essential crew". But now that you mention it, I am worried a lot of content will feel too similar as well. I mean, all I will do is gently caress, shoot or talk to things, but I'd like at least the illusion of difference between each vault.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
So I'm confused about how Origin works. I've got Origin Access and I preordered the digital deluxe version.

When exactly do we get to start playing?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Crabtree posted:

No idea whether story happens once enough parts of the ship are upgraded or people unfrozen or not. They really could expect you to grind at least 2 full planets before something of story signigance happens, depending on how many planets are mandatory or important and how many are just optional fluff.

There's really no way to know that right now

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

trash person posted:

So I'm confused about how Origin works. I've got Origin Access and I preordered the digital deluxe version.

If you have Origin Access you get to play starting March 16th but you only get 10 hours of playtime before you get locked out. Then you have to wait until the 21st for full release. Progress will carry over to the full release though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well I needed to update the OP again anyway.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Ainsley McTree posted:

There's really no way to know that right now

Yeah, I'm not holding it against any of you. Just wondering out loud as we wait for more things to laugh at or know about a bioware game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

marshmallow creep posted:

Well I needed to update the OP again anyway.

Make sure to slap the Brazzers logo on there.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

trash person posted:

"Try this game before it's released starting Mar 16, 2017"

Crabtree posted:

I'm not entirely against grind, I'm just wondering if they're making grind story important as in "You cannot proceed to fight this battle without X amount of unfrozen essential crew". But now that you mention it, I am worried a lot of content will feel too similar as well. I mean, all I will do is gently caress, shoot or talk to things, but I'd like at least the illusion of difference between each vault.

Just spitballing, but if there are really only "a handful" of big planets to explore, I'd guess that there are story mission breadcrumbs leading you around the planet, and that's probably what gates the crew unlocks. Make, say, 60% of them freebies, then let people grind out the remainder for completion's sake or good endings or whatever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Supposedly, the Viability Points are just for unlocking bonuses. You might have to do one or two as a tutorial, but the devs insist you can follow the core story without having to do all that stuff. Inquisition made building Power essential to story progression (and then gave you so much they introduced a sink for it in Descent for you to spend the excess), but the Andromeda guys have said you don't have to do that here.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Just spitballing, but if there are really only "a handful" of big planets to explore, I'd guess that there are story mission breadcrumbs leading you around the planet, and that's probably what gates the crew unlocks. Make, say, 60% of them freebies, then let people grind out the remainder for completion's sake or good endings or whatever.

We'll have Ice planet, Desert planet, Forest planet, Sewer Cave planet, Fog planet, and maybe another type of Forest (with Beach) planet to explore.

Can't Wait!!!

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 4, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I mean we've already seen the volcano level.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Have they shown whether there's any zero G stuff in the game? The first 13 minutes video had a brief cinematic moment where you were floating there and all you could do was look around, but it at least acknowledges that there's not supposed to be gravity in space. I wonder if they'll do anything else with that.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm cautiously optimistic about this game even in the face of the usual goon doomsaying. Then I remember how goons went to the wall for Duke Nukem and have a laugh.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Trast posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game even in the face of the usual goon doomsaying. Then I remember how goons went to the wall for Duke Nukem and have a laugh.

I can confidently say this looks like a Mass Effect game

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Trast posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic in that I don't expect the game to actually be bad. At worst it will be "ok" and that's good enough for me to have some Mass Effect fun with.

Basically just like DA:I.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The shooting looks fun, the planets look pretty, and the aesthetic looks appropriately beep boopy to satisfy my sci fi itch. I'm sure I'll find a way to have fun with the game.

I'm glad they're doing the "you can do all the skills on a single character" thing because if this game is as big as they're promising, I'm not gonna wanna play it 6 times just to see what the other classes are like

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Drifter posted:

We'll have Ice planet, Desert planet, Forest planet, Sewer Cave planet, Fog planet, and maybe another type of Forest (with Beach) planet to explore.

Can't Wait!!!

hot springs planet

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Does anyone know how Origin handles unlocking early with a VPN? I'm considering doing that since it launches in Europe a few days after the US. Will I have to stay in offline mode and forgo any multiplayer until the 23rd?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trast posted:

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
^^^ Hey, way to ruin a mega hot picture! :mad:

Veotax posted:

Does anyone know how Origin handles unlocking early with a VPN? I'm considering doing that since it launches in Europe a few days after the US. Will I have to stay in offline mode and forgo any multiplayer until the 23rd?

Purchasing in a different region on Origin via VPN works just fine, so I would guess unlocking would probably work too... never tried it myself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I hope in the future internet someone accidently outs their hot step mom as an asari