Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

mastershakeman posted:

Thanks. I saw the holes but didn't have a screw to put into them. This is why I've always resisted doing household projects - the repeated trips to the store.

The original switch+dimmer was a single pole lutron w/ just two black cables. The one I was convinced to buy is a lutron that does 3 way and has a red, red+white, black and green wire. I was told that the 3 way could be wired up as a single pole for now and converted later if needed.

Should I just be going back to the hardware store for single pole switch + grounding screw + non contact voltage tester?

No, you should stop call an electrician. I'm not writing this to call you an idiot or be mean. If you cannot recognize that trying to ground with a nail, or that the holes for screws should be used even though it's an extra trip, or that flipping off a breaker and hoping for the best is a bad and dangerous idea then you cannot do electrical work in your house. You are putting yourself and your family in danger by doing so. It's fine to not know and read up on Family Handyman's website to learn the right way to do something. It isn't OK to just start and hope for the best.

Also, if you take the time to learn and prepare before starting something you will not have repeated trips to the store. You may have extra stuff you didn't need to use and return but you will not have your electrical or water shut off while you make a frantic trip to the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Appreciate the advice, just got in over my head a bit. All is well now. Although the voltage tester I bought appears to be non functional out of the box despite trying different batteries, ha.

That being said, why wouldn't putting the ground against the nail on the box work? I had to use a grounding clip because the grounding screws I bought didn't fit the holes in the back of the box ( i assume the box is 15+ years old). So what's the difference in grounding via clip vs the nail?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Appreciate the advice, just got in over my head a bit. All is well now. Although the voltage tester I bought appears to be non functional out of the box despite trying different batteries, ha.

That being said, why wouldn't putting the ground against the nail on the box work? I had to use a grounding clip because the grounding screws I bought didn't fit the holes in the back of the box ( i assume the box is 15+ years old). So what's the difference in grounding via clip vs the nail?

For starters, one well-placed whack near that box will shake that ground loose, a nail driven into sheet metal has barely any mechanical fastening going on.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Yeah, it's a wee little microwave but I'll run a 20 for it.

So I could probably run 3 20 amp counter top circuits, attach the range to one and the hood to another, provided they are both low draw?

Oh- is there something typically done with under cabinet lighting, which would probably be plugged in to an outlet hidden in a cabinet?

Appreciate the advise, will be running this all past our inspector but I don't want to propose anything too stupid.

Yeah, hood and range are what I'd do. Fridges usually only pull 6 or 7 amps, they'd be fine too. Not sure what the rule is, but I've always used a counter outlet circuit for under cabinet lights and hidden the outlet (or transformer if low voltage) in the cabinet. If you have the counter space to warrant it and are going to have the walls open anyway, I'd go for 3 kitchen counter circuits. Oh, and in case your old kitchen isn't like this: put the dishwasher receptacle in the undersink cabinet and run the cord through the cabinet like the drain. Lot of old houses had direct wired dishwashers or an outlet behind it.

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 4, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

So what's the difference in grounding via clip vs the nail?
The nail is not an approved bonding method, and even at that a coated sinker nail that will back out of the wood over time, is a bad one. You need a very good connection because in event of a fault, the equipment grounding conductor will have to carry high current for a short period of time so that the protective device (a breaker in your case) can operate.

Say you had a direct short to that metal box. If the box ground connection is poor, it could burn open before the breaker operates, or not conduct enough current to operate the device at all. In either case, the end result is that the box itself would be sitting there energized, and you can imagine that's not good.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Should I just be going back to the hardware store for single pole switch + grounding screw + non contact voltage tester?

Get a big mixed package of wire nuts, package of green ground screws, non contact voltage tester, wire stripper/cutter/crimper multitool thing (it will be awful but work), and the finest cheapest multimeter if you're feeling really frisky. Outside of scraps of wire that is everything you need to work on basic fix-it type tasks.

Edit: Whoops lots of replies.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 4, 2017

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

H110Hawk posted:

Get a big mixed package of wire nuts, package of green ground screws, non contact voltage tester, wire stripper/cutter/crimper multitool thing (it will be awful but work), and the finest cheapest multimeter if you're feeling really frisky. Outside of scraps of wire that is everything you need to work on basic fix-it type tasks.

Alternatively, if you aren't planning to do a bunch of work down the road/feel lazy you can get a pack of "grounding tails" that are just an 8" length of green 12ga pre-wrapped around an appropriate screw. Maybe slightly silly, but convenient.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hubis posted:

Alternatively, if you aren't planning to do a bunch of work down the road/feel lazy you can get a pack of "grounding tails" that are just an 8" length of green 12ga pre-wrapped around an appropriate screw. Maybe slightly silly, but convenient.

Let me tell you, if I'd known this was a product before I added 17 outlets and a lightswitch to my workshop, I would absolutely have bought some.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hubis posted:

Is there anything else on the circuit for that outlet? Have you checked your see if you have GFCI breakers at your panel?
Here's a picture of my panel. I just noticed that they have blue 'test' buttons labeled "AFCI". And when I press the test button it flips the breaker halfway. There are three of these buttons on the panel in total. Do these AFCI test buttons mean that I do have GFCI breakers on my fuse panel?

Phanatic posted:

If the breaker is tripping, that means there's too much current flowing through the breaker. The problem might be at the receptacle, but it might not. The breaker itself might be defective, the breaker might be the wrong amperage for the wire connected to it, there might be something going on in your wall somewhere that is trying to start a fire.
Well. That sounds bad. How do I (safely) test the amperage for the wire?

crocodile posted:

this post raises a couple of red flags for me. are you the first and only owner of the house? for a house to have been built 7 years ago and have NO GFCI protection is very weird. unless you're not the first owner and the previous one went thru and changed out all the receptacles and didn't replace the GFCIs...unless there are GFCI breakers like hubis suggested..

[snip]
We're the second owner of the house. As for the GFCI protections- please see the earlier part of this post! Do the "AFCI" test buttons means that I do have GFCI protection? Also- I DID find one GFCI outlet in the kitchen, so there's that one. But I'm not sure if the entire house's electrical is properly protected.

About that plug- I know the style of side clamp screws you're referring to. But I'm still not sure if this outlet is backstabbed, or has side screw clamps. I loosened the side screws, but wasn't able to remove the wire easily. So at this point, I can't tell if the the wires are in fact back-stabbed in, or just stuck. Here are a few more pictures that i took today just in case it's helpful:

Picture A
Picture B

When I trip the circuit, it's only that outlet that turns off with it. It happens every time I use my electric clipper, but sporadically with the vaccuum cleaner. My wife's hair straightening irons works fine on it. I can't think of any potential loads on the circuit while we're using those appliances- we're really mindful of our electricity usage. And thanks to all of you for being so patient, with me and my questions.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 5, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

melon cat posted:

What I meant by that is that you might have 12 gauge wire, which is good for 20 amps, connected to a 15 amp breaker. In such a case everything in the circuit might be okay, and there's nothing *dangerous* about oversizing the conductors relative to the breaker, but when the devices on that circuit try to draw a total of more than 15 amps of current, the breaker will trip.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hubis posted:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Gr...grounding+tails

I'll be damned. 20 for $12.

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

melon cat posted:

Here's a picture of my panel. I just noticed that they have blue 'test' buttons labeled "AFCI". And when I press the test button it flips the breaker halfway. There are three of these buttons on the panel in total. Do these AFCI test buttons mean that I do have GFCI breakers on my fuse panel?

We're the second owner of the house. As for the GFCI protections- please see the earlier part of this post! Do the "AFCI" test buttons means that I do have GFCI protection? Also- I DID find one GFCI outlet in the kitchen, so there's that one. But I'm not sure if the entire house's electrical is properly protected.

About that plug- I know the style of side clamp screws you're referring to. But I'm still not sure if this outlet is backstabbed, or has side screw clamps. I loosened the side screws, but wasn't able to remove the wire easily. So at this point, I can't tell if the the wires are in fact back-stabbed in, or just stuck. Here are a few more pictures that i took today just in case it's helpful:

Picture A
Picture B

When I trip the circuit, it's only that outlet that turns off with it. It happens every time I use my electric clipper, but sporadically with the vaccuum cleaner. My wife's hair straightening irons works fine on it. I can't think of any potential loads on the circuit while we're using those appliances- we're really mindful of our electricity usage. And thanks to all of you for being so patient, with me and my questions.

having AFCI breakers does not mean you have GFCI protection. it looks to me like someone went through and changed all of the outlets and didn't replace GFIs where they are necessary. that will be up to you or your electrician to do. like i said earlier, to meet code when your home was built all of the areas i stated need GFI protection.

i'm not aware of any modern plug (as in the last 15+ years) that accepts a 12 gauge stab. i could be mistaken about that, i've just never seen one in my over ten years in the field. there's a chance that plug was modified to take a back stab.. i used to work with a guy who didn't like curling the wires around the screws so he would drill out the back stab holes to accept 12 wire. that guy was an idiot. regardless it does need changed to a GFI, so that will at least take care of that receptacle.

what amperage are your clippers drawing? should be on the clippers somewhere. the breaker for that circuit should be 20amps, is it? seems weird that a pair of clippers would draw anywhere near that. could be a fault inside of the clippers themselves causing it to trip.. really, though, it sounds to me like the breaker is going bad if that's the only receptacle on the circuit.

quote:

Am I understanding the dedicated circuits for fixed kitchen appliances correctly? If I do a full kitchen gut and remodel, do I need a minimum of:

code:

2x 20 amp Counter top receptacle circuits, GFCI
1x 20 amp Refrigerator outlet
1x 15 amp Garbage disposal
1x 15 amp Dishwasher
1x 15 amp Counter top microwave, installed in an upper cabinet
1x 15 amp Range hood extractor
1x 15 amp 120v controls for gas oven/range.
1x 15 amp Lighting, AFCI

Can any of that be paired up legally and sensibly? It seems really silly to need a dedicated circuit for the controls on a gas stove, or a range hood blower that might draw up to 2 amps. Also should more of these be GFCI protected? The oven, range hood, disposal, and dishwasher would fall into that 6' of a sink thing. Fridge is about 12' away though.

i haven't checked the 2017 code yet but as of 2014 all of these circuits are also required to have AFCI protection. most brands now make a dual function AFCI/GFCI breaker, but only for single wire branch circuits. if you've got multiwire branch circuits what i've been doing is putting a 2-pole AFCI breaker and then GFI receptacles in the locations they are required. everything within 6' of the sink and on the countertops needs GFI protection, but you're correct that since your fridge is further away, it doesn't need to be.

as far as the circuits go, you don't need a dedicated fridge circuit, but it doesn't hurt. i usually just put it with one of the countertop circuits. typically if there's a gas range i'll just pull a separate circuit for the range and hood fan together, since they're always right next to each other. also, your microwave needs to be a 20amp circuit. lighting is not supposed to be on your small appliance circuits. if you're going to have the walls opened up it's just as easy to run your undercab lights from your lighting circuit. if you have receptacles, instead of hardwired, they also need to have GFI protection.

crocodile fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 7, 2017

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well
I was under the impression undercabinet lights can be on the small appliance circuit as long as they aren't hardwired. I don't have a code book on me, but I think 210.52(B)(2) would be the only thing hanging one up (no other outlets on the 2 small appliance circuits, which of course is exempted for outlets feeding installed appliances). People never want the min 2 counter ciruits, which I guess is why I haven't gotten docked for it, really need to get right with the code. Hard wired lights on a small appliance circuit is expressly forbidden in the same section I think.

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 5, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Blackbeer posted:

I was under the impression undercabinet lights can be on the small appliance circuit as long as they aren't hardwired. I don't have a code book on me, but I think 210.52(B)(2) would be the only thing hanging one up (no other outlets on the 2 small appliance circuits, which of course is exempted for outlets feeding installed appliances). People never want the min 2 counter ciruits, which I guess is why I haven't gotten docked for it, really need to get right with the code. Hard wired lights on a small appliance circuit is expressly forbidden in the same section I think.

Well yeah, making them a plug in appliance would get around all sorts of code.

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

i guess it's up to your inspector's interpretation. where i'm at it would never pass a final inspection, but i've seen a lot of people do it after the fact for convenience's sake. i still think if the walls are going to be opened up anyway it's better practice to just put them with the rest of the lighting.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

kid sinister posted:

New construction ceiling fan boxes don't quite work in old construction. Look at the 3rd picture on that site. Do you see that little tab that goes under the joist? That can be hard to wrestle under, plus consider that your existing box is already against the joist. Most boxes poke through the hole in the drywall slightly. How would you screw in those screws with the new box on that rail right there?

See, and I thought the difference between new and retrofit was if you had access to the backside. Thanks for pointing that out.

kid sinister posted:

I saw go to the hardware store and see what they have. You should find one or two boxes that could work.

So to conclude this story, I ended up doing this, then climbing up in the attic with everything I'd need in a shopping tote bag, getting all the way down to the far end and discovering I'd forgotten to bring a hammer that I'd need to pull the old box's nails out of the rafter. There were some extra holes in the mounting bracket, so I screwed the old box onto the rafter and it's much more stable now.

Sadly, it turns out that someone, in their infinite wisdom, used a sheet metal screw in one of the box's tabs and jimmied up all the threads. I tried tapping it, but it's been damaged too much so I used the metal screw again. It's me, I'm the building horror.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

crocodile posted:

i guess it's up to your inspector's interpretation. where i'm at it would never pass a final inspection, but i've seen a lot of people do it after the fact for convenience's sake. i still think if the walls are going to be opened up anyway it's better practice to just put them with the rest of the lighting.

Thanks for the feedback, and yeah- everything is fully exposed and being replaced from scratch, so why not.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
I have a dimmer switch controlling a chandelier in my foyer. We rarely turn it on but yesterday we did and I noticed that after 10 minutes? or so the switch was physically hot to the point it was uncomfortable to touch the screws. Is this a problem? Do I need a new switch?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Probably. How big of a chandelier is it? (How many bulbs and what wattage are they?)

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

angryrobots posted:

Probably. How big of a chandelier is it? (How many bulbs and what wattage are they?)

I want to say somewhere around 25-30 bulbs? I don't know what many watts they are but they're little bulbs. It's a 2 story foyer and I don't really have a tall enough ladder to get close to it to tell and the design if it has a bunch of little mirror-esque pieces of glass hanging all over it that messes with my ability to count for sure.

We do have a smaller version of the same chandelier in our dining room that I can access easily, and the bulbs look the same visually. Those bulbs are 40w each.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I want to say somewhere around 25-30 bulbs? I don't know what many watts they are but they're little bulbs. It's a 2 story foyer and I don't really have a tall enough ladder to get close to it to tell and the design if it has a bunch of little mirror-esque pieces of glass hanging all over it that messes with my ability to count for sure.

We do have a smaller version of the same chandelier in our dining room that I can access easily, and the bulbs look the same visually. Those bulbs are 40w each.

25-30 40 watt bulbs is going to be somewhere over 1000 watts total, and even the old rotary lutron dimmers were only good for 600, if you left all the tabs on. I don't think you can buy a home dimmer today good for that, let alone 1000. I would take the faceplate off the dimmer and look for the rating. If you're over, get a dimmer rated for the load, or replace all the bulbs with dimmable LEDs.

edit: I stand slightly corrected, lutron has a 1000W dimmer
https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-DV-10P-WH-1000-Watt-Single-Pole-Dimmer/dp/B0006UUHU2

but if you have 26 40W bulbs in there, you're over that already too.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 6, 2017

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

Qwijib0 posted:

25-30 40 watt bulbs is going to be somewhere over 1000 watts total, and even the old rotary lutron dimmers were only good for 600, if you left all the tabs on. I don't think you can buy a home dimmer today good for that, let alone 1000. I would take the faceplate off the dimmer and look for the rating. If you're over, get a dimmer rated for the load, or replace all the bulbs with dimmable LEDs.

edit: I stand slightly corrected, lutron has a 1000W dimmer
https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-DV-10P-WH-1000-Watt-Single-Pole-Dimmer/dp/B0006UUHU2

but if you have 26 40W bulbs in there, you're over that already too.

I just took the front plate off, it says:

1000W max, 2 gang 800W, 3 gang or more 650W.

This is in a 3 gang box, but the other two switches are not dimmers (one is a regular switch, one is a timer for the front lights). I'm taking it to mean that this switch is only rated for 650W in the current configuration?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Steampunk Hitler posted:

25x40W bulbs (I assume they are incandescents?) Would be 1000W, which is the maximum for any dimmer I've ever seen (I think some are rated for 600W, but I have only been dealing with LED friendly dimmers so I'm not sure if that's particular to that subset). They also make 1500W dimmers, however I believe that wouldn't help your problem as the rating (as I understand it, IANAE, etc.) Has more to do with the heat dissipation the switch can handle before failure. If you are dimming 1000W of bulbs, you've got the same amount of waste heat to dissipate no matter what. I believe the rule of thumb is something like 1W of heat for every 100W of controlled load. If you take off the face plate you should be able to find a load rating on the switch body I believe. Also, if the dimmer is in a box with something else it may have to have its capacity de- rated.

Is it a blue plastic box in the wall? That will not really sink heat like a metal one would. You could pull and replace the box with a metal old work style box, but that will probably be a real pain in the rear end and maybe messy. A less drastic tactic would be replacing the faceplate (if it's plastic) with a metal one. That will spread the heat out over more surface are so it will dissipate a bit more efficiently, although the whole faceplate will then be warm (although hopefully less so). The last option would be to swap the bulbs out for LEDs - the Cree and Phillips candelabra bulbs have gotten pretty nice, but that will be pretty expensive for 25 bulbs (plus probably having to change out the dimmer).

I'd verify the rating of the dimmer and try changing out the faceplate first and seeing if that helps any.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I just took the front plate off, it says:

1000W max, 2 gang 800W, 3 gang or more 650W.

This is in a 3 gang box, but the other two switches are not dimmers (one is a regular switch, one is a timer for the front lights). I'm taking it to mean that this switch is only rated for 650W in the current configuration?

the gang ratings are *usually* for sets of dimmers, since a toggle shouldn't generate heat. If the dimmer still has all he removable tabs on it, then it's good for the 1000W. Your next step would be to see if the bulbs are in fact 40w, and if there are any more than 25 of them.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Can anyone tell me if this is intended as an outlet or if it just joins two wires or what the jeeslus is going on?

It is located on what is soon to be the inside edge of a dividing wall, you can see the first sheet of plywood behind it.

The outlet itself looks like this, is this for mounting a real outlet in top of or for some special appliance?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rnr posted:

Can anyone tell me if this is intended as an outlet or if it just joins two wires or what the jeeslus is going on?

It is located on what is soon to be the inside edge of a dividing wall, you can see the first sheet of plywood behind it.

The outlet itself looks like this, is this for mounting a real outlet in top of or for some special appliance?

Wow, that is weird looking. Is that a pull ring on the bottom? With only 2 wires attached, that's probably some type of switch.

What country is this in by the way?

Edit: now that I think about it, that looks like what we in North America would call a "quick disconnect" with the jumper missing. It looks keyed for a jumper bridging the holes inside that can only be inserted one way. Here, you can either leave the jumper out, or pull it out and insert it upside down. While upside down, the socket will hold onto the jumper, but the jumper can't touch the contacts.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 11, 2017

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

I'm in Denmark. The house is real old though (1880). I'd say the stuff I'm tampering with in this particular room probably had a refresh like 30 years ago, but that is guessing.

Am I remembering wrong, or aren't brown wires supposed to be phase? And the blue neutral? So if only the two phases are connected you would see jack poo poo? I tried to see if I could measure any current after switching on all possible switches around it, and nothing.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Rnr posted:

It looks a bit like a very old style 380V outlet.

But then again, the inlay where the cables goes in, is a standard LK Opus type.

I would get in touch with an electrician - drop by one and show him the pictures.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

I hear ya, will do.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I just ran it by a Facebok group with a lot of international electricians (Crappy Electrical, mostly a mock group for terrible things found on the job and mostly Aussies, fun group.) I'll let you know if anyone positively identifies it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rnr posted:

I'm in Denmark. The house is real old though (1880). I'd say the stuff I'm tampering with in this particular room probably had a refresh like 30 years ago, but that is guessing.

Am I remembering wrong, or aren't brown wires supposed to be phase? And the blue neutral? So if only the two phases are connected you would see jack poo poo? I tried to see if I could measure any current after switching on all possible switches around it, and nothing.

From what I've read, in most of Europe, black or brown is "phase" or what we would call "hot", blue is neutral, and green or green with yellow is earth/ground.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
So uh I kinda signed up for electrician's training. Luckily I have a degree in information and communication technology, that cuts out a lot of schoolwork leaving only nine months worth of studying to do.

Gonna be sparky. Yay.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Thanks for the advice folks. I took a second shot at testing it today, and not surprisingly when I measured on brown and blue, both browns showed 240v. So I'm guessing it was intended as an outlet for older heavy appliances?

Anyways, will talk to an electrician and see what my options are.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Got an answer from the FB group, it's a 230V switch made by LK Fuga and the front plate is missing. This is the replacement part https://www.greenline.dk/k/elartikler/lauritz-knudsen-fuga/fuga-afbryder/p/lk-fuga-1-polet-afbryder

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

beyonder posted:

So uh I kinda signed up for electrician's training. Luckily I have a degree in information and communication technology, that cuts out a lot of schoolwork leaving only nine months worth of studying to do.

Gonna be sparky. Yay.

Why? With that background you could be doing industrial automation stuff and cleaning up. All the new equipment is moving to PROFINET (Ethernet variant with some additional features to support real time tasks) internals and the older maintenance dudes don't understand how it works at all and deep down still don't really trust all that newfangled RS-485 serial gear from the last 20 years.

Ask me about seeing a multimillion dollar machine stay down for three days because the guy in charge refused to believe wire pairing mattered in an RJ45.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

Got an answer from the FB group, it's a 230V switch made by LK Fuga and the front plate is missing. This is the replacement part https://www.greenline.dk/k/elartikler/lauritz-knudsen-fuga/fuga-afbryder/p/lk-fuga-1-polet-afbryder

That's awesome, thank you!

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

shame on an IGA posted:

Why? With that background you could be doing industrial automation stuff and cleaning up. All the new equipment is moving to PROFINET (Ethernet variant with some additional features to support real time tasks) internals and the older maintenance dudes don't understand how it works at all and deep down still don't really trust all that newfangled RS-485 serial gear from the last 20 years.

Ask me about seeing a multimillion dollar machine stay down for three days because the guy in charge refused to believe wire pairing mattered in an RJ45.

No job at the moment and there is that "want" factor in play.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I have some ugly coax cable running on the outside of my house that I want to remove. It's right near where my service drop runs. How close can I safely get to the service line without dying?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I have some ugly coax cable running on the outside of my house that I want to remove. It's right near where my service drop runs. How close can I safely get to the service line without dying?

Don't touch it. It's only 110V to ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It should be insulated and safe to touch, but out of an abundance of caution just don't touch it and you'll be fine.