Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the cartridge flavouring is a good deterrent for dissuading secondhand buyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zelda chat every horse bucks me off. help ok. Smashing L helped.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Someone said the official Nintendo carrying case was way too soft. I found an official one called the Game Traveler Deluxe and it's very hard. So there must be a few official ones.

I went to three stores and no one had the Hori thing where you can charge while it's in tabletop mode.

Also a nice side note is I got the official car charger. I just plugged it into my cell phone while driving home and my phone said "charging rapidly" which is awesome. I have never seen that with anything other than the quick charging wall charger LG shipped with my phone. So it's a nice bonus.

And can anyone with Shovel Knight please tell me if it is playable with the fake left d pad please?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Does the official Nintendo travel case have room for the charger?

Also, any recommendations on a good case for transporting the whole system? I don't have any good laptop bags anymore...

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Bombadilillo posted:

drat individual joycons are poo poo. So small even with the attachment.

I want some 3rd party fat ones.

Seriously, they are baby controllers for baby hands. I would literally not be able to play this thing without the pro controller.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had two different sets of Joycons now, one from Best Buy, the other packaged with the Switch. Both left Joycons cut out in TV mode.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

And can anyone with Shovel Knight please tell me if it is playable with the fake left d pad please?

Yeah you can use the d-buttons to move, it's actually really nice for Shovel Knight in particular, makes the control feel really precise.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dehry posted:

I had two different sets of Joycons now, one from Best Buy, the other packaged with the Switch. Both left Joycons cut out in TV mode.

Did you try taking the switch out of the microwave/aquarium?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Someone said the official Nintendo carrying case was way too soft. I found an official one called the Game Traveler Deluxe and it's very hard. So there must be a few official ones.

I went to three stores and no one had the Hori thing where you can charge while it's in tabletop mode.

Also a nice side note is I got the official car charger. I just plugged it into my cell phone while driving home and my phone said "charging rapidly" which is awesome. I have never seen that with anything other than the quick charging wall charger LG shipped with my phone. So it's a nice bonus.

I have no trouble with the pseudo d-pad on Specter of Torment, but on Shovel of Hope I switch to the analog stick to more easily adjust between left and right more quickly on any extended bouncing sequences, then back to the d-buttons when mostly walking. I haven't tried playing Plague of Shadows yet.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hm, I'll look out for that one. The one I got is the "Nintendo Switch Carrying Case & Screen Protector" with no further subtitle or anything. Has Nintendo contacts for support and the Nintendo Seal so I assumed it was official. It feels very "mushy" and bad.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

MarcusSA posted:

I guess my amazon switch is gonna get delivered today. I ain't holding my breath.

~OF THE WILD~

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have the HORI tough pouch and I'm fairly satisfied. It's a fairly firm, soft-touch plastic with some large dimples for grip. Has a flap to protect the screen and store games. Smells awful.

well why not fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 4, 2017

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have my switch wrapped in a pillow case because I wanted to bring it to work and did not have my case shipped yet.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Anyone else having issues connecting to their wifi? The wiiU worked fine, and the switch is at the same place but I'm getting no bars on my wifi signal.

If I undock it and move closer to the router there's no issue, but I can't move either permanently! So what, I'm stuck playing online on undocked mode next to my router forever?

This is a pain in the rear end. My crappy smart TV and wiiU both get a signal without issues in the same spot!

Edit: oh, same page. This is pretty lovely, I need to be at like 1 meter unobstructed for it to get a signal!

I was having similar issues. It seemed like having the Switch docked was screwing with the ability to connect. I've never had any issues with my router for anything. It also shows my connection on the Switch as medium strength... even though it's like 12 feet away separated by 2 walls. Taking it out of the dock I was finally able to update and connect to the store.

I can't tell if it's defective or just lovely with wifi, but you are the only other person I've seen have a similar complaint.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

I was having similar issues. It seemed like having the Switch docked was screwing with the ability to connect. I've never had any issues with my router for anything. It also shows my connection on the Switch as medium strength... even though it's like 12 feet away separated by 2 walls. Taking it out of the dock I was finally able to update and connect to the store.

I can't tell if it's defective or just lovely with wifi, but you are the only other person I've seen have a similar complaint.

No issues with mine on my 5ghz channel about 30feet in another room.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I got the shika slate blue botw carrying case and highly recommend it.

Its a semi hard plastic and has a fold over screen guard that makes me not worry if it drops. The guard also has a zippered patch for storage.

It also has plenty of room for a portable charger and comes with 2 cases that fit in the bottom for your games that hold 4 each.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
So far, I only have two complaints about the Switch (or about the Joy-Con, really):

1. It's hard for me to reach the - button. I seem to keep wanting to hit the analog stick. Maybe it's cause I have Trump hands.
2. With that being said, I am still shocked at how tiny these loving controllers are, even for my hands. It's still oddly comfortable, and after hours of playing with and without the grip, I experienced no hand fatigue.

Other than that, I'm too blown away by playing on my TV, then popping it out and continuing to play wherever the gently caress I want. I'm also blown away by how fast I get back into the game from sleep. It's nearly instant.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah you can use the d-buttons to move, it's actually really nice for Shovel Knight in particular, makes the control feel really precise.

OK thank you! I guess the true test will be Street Fighter 2

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lol at street fighter on a single joycon. I can barely use them for slow paced snipperclips. I gotta try fast rmx 2 player and see if I can handle it.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 4, 2017

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
The Joycons, as single controllers, are bad.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Seriously, they are baby controllers for baby hands. I would literally not be able to play this thing without the pro controller.
Kid controllers for a kid's console :smug:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Kid controllers for a kid's console :smug:

Naw they are fine in docked mode. But laughably poo poo single.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My brother left his Switch in the dock to charge overnight, and when his wife and daughter went to play it a little while ago, it wouldn't come on. No response from the Home button, no response from the power button. He examined it and said that it smelled like something inside had burnt up. He tried connecting it directly to the AC Adapter and plugging it in to a different outlet and nothing happened. Console is completely dead.

Has anyone else heard or seen any reports about Switches cooking themselves like this? Because I'm kinda paranoid as gently caress about leaving it plugged in now. :tinfoil:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

My brother left his Switch in the dock to charge overnight, and when his wife and daughter went to play it a little while ago, it wouldn't come on. No response from the Home button, no response from the power button. He examined it and said that it smelled like something inside had burnt up. He tried connecting it directly to the AC Adapter and plugging it in to a different outlet and nothing happened. Console is completely dead.

Has anyone else heard or seen any reports about Switches cooking themselves like this? Because I'm kinda paranoid as gently caress about leaving it plugged in now. :tinfoil:

I noticed the other day that just switching from TV mode to Handheld mode caused the fan to speed up and it was rather warm.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

W.T. Fits posted:

Tell him to hold down the power button for a really long time. Like fifteen seconds. See if that fixes it.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
You guys Fast RMX is really really good if you're looking for an F-Zero game, it even has "Hero Mode" which makes your boost meter a boost/shields meter, and if you die you're out of the race. There's also an "absolutely not the blue falcon" car called the Fulcan.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lol just realized the system is officially out and we still don't know whether we'll be able to play any virtual console titles we already own on this and how much they'll charge for the privilege.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I've been at work since 7am and am now worried that I won't have a switch when I get home... :(

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ordered a pro controller so I don't have to play 2 feet away from the console.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Snipperclips is awesome for showing the Switch off. "Yeah it's this cool new thing, wanna try a puzzle game?" Pop the joycons off and a minute later you're coordinating shapes to cut out of each other. I'm surprised it wasn't a first-party game, the quality and playfulness scream Nintendo.

The Machine posted:

The Joycons, as single controllers, are bad.

They're not comfortable for hours of gaming, but they're totally serviceable for pick-up games or a few people handing off to each other, which is probably how they'll most commonly be used as single controllers. I'd sum them up as "fine"

I've also had no problems with the left joycon, I've been sitting in my usual sitting spot in my living room with my Switch on top of my media cabinet about 6 or 7 feet away (in line of sight) with no lag or disconnects. I feel like that issue might be getting overblown.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 4, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have had no issues with the Joycons being uncomfortable. And I say that as a guy who has massive ham hands that suffer from regular soreness.

They take some getting used to but that's as far as it goes for me.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Xad posted:

There's also an "absolutely not the blue falcon" car called the Fulcan.

I got a giggle when I saw that one of the starting cars was called Mech Guyva.

The announcer sealed the deal: MacGyver.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dunno how you guys have the balls to ever let other people touch your Switch. I ain't letting no one touch my controllers until I've got spares later on in the year. I'd just be hyper-vigilant over everything cause I'd be so scared they'd break it with their Shrek-tier coordination and finesse.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

I bought Breath of the Wild on the Wii U eShop. If I go out today and buy a Switch, will I have to buy the game a second time or will it work on the Switch?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Loopoo posted:

Dunno how you guys have the balls to ever let other people touch your Switch. I ain't letting no one touch my controllers until I've got spares later on in the year. I'd just be hyper-vigilant over everything cause I'd be so scared they'd break it with their Shrek-tier coordination and finesse.

That's paranoid and lame. Enjoy your Switch with your friends, it's fun

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

dead lettuce posted:

I bought Breath of the Wild on the Wii U eShop. If I go out today and buy a Switch, will I have to buy the game a second time or will it work on the Switch?

You have to buy it again.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Oh my god guys Snipperclips is SO GOOD

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have the dimensions of the console box? Trying to figure out if it'll fit in my bag or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Loopoo posted:

Man you're gonna ruin the next rooftop party

• Locked thread