Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
you donīt hit menopause

man, imagine the alliances you can do now, the claims you can start doing with seduction

Though claims aint that grand when you're norse, alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I *think* the Legitimized Bastard maluses do stack, but even if they don't, they're severe enough (-40) that just one is enough to put your wife firmly and permanently in the "hates your guts and wants you dead" category when you combine it with the Unfaithful Lecher malus you will also get.

All your legit kids get a -40 to you for Legitimized Bastard too but it only lasts one year for them. For your wife it lasts effectively forever (technically 40 years, I think).

So yeah, marrying someone old or celibate just for the stats and pumping out bastards with an eye toward legitimizing whichever one turns out best and making them your sole heir is a legit strategy to game Gavelkind, but you should be aware your wife will hate you and will want to kill you, and very well might succeed if she has an Intrigue score significantly higher than yours.

e: IMO it would make more sense if in that situation the wife directed her energies toward killing the legitimized bastard child, but the maluses direct her wrath toward her husband and/or his lover instead

e2: Usually your wife and baby mama become rivals and so actually it's more frequent that your wife plots to kill the baby mama instead of you... but if anyone ELSE is plotting to kill you (and honestly, I would be insulted if no one was plotting to kill me) she will gleefully take part in any and all such plots.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 3, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Deceitful Penguin posted:

you donīt hit menopause

man, imagine the alliances you can do now, the claims you can start doing with seduction

Though claims aint that grand when you're norse, alas

So immortality is just that you're 24 forever, rather than you get older and the game doesn't kill you?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

spectralent posted:

So immortality is just that you're 24 forever, rather than you get older and the game doesn't kill you?

You freeze at whatever age you were when you got the trait.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jabor posted:

You freeze at whatever age you were when you got the trait.

:vince:

This is gonna be good.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

spectralent posted:

:vince:

This is gonna be good.

Careful, childbirth is one of the few things left (besides plots and death in battle, obviously) that can kill an immortal.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

For your wife it lasts effectively forever (technically 40 years, I think).

20 years.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

Careful, childbirth is one of the few things left (besides plots and death in battle, obviously) that can kill an immortal.

Does health impact how likely you are to cough it in childbirth, or is it just random?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

spectralent posted:

Yeah, this is the first time I've actually succeeded in becoming immortal (I assume being a Genius with amazing stats helped?), so I'm not sure if you're literally ageless or if you get old but don't suffer the ill-effects. It'll be equally interesting to see if immortals hit menopause or not; having a massive dynasty of children with a maternal line that just goes directly downwards for a hundred years would be pretty funny.

Seduce every child, see if you can effectively clone yourself.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

People who post in this thread are probably on every single NSA watchlist.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bloody Pom posted:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How quickly should I be trying to reform Norse? I'm trying to do everything at breakneck speed while being embroiled in multiple wars to keep tribal armies around which are bankrupting me.

I'm starting to feel like I can't have fun and treat the game as a game until I've reformed Norse, and I can't do that because other norse rulers are apparently the stupidest rulers in CK2 and will gladly lose wars to 1 province catholics when given the chance.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

Let's not go into any detail of how I got my daughter to the next-in-line slot with a family of 16 and multiple grandchildren :v:

Carcer posted:

How quickly should I be trying to reform Norse? I'm trying to do everything at breakneck speed while being embroiled in multiple wars to keep tribal armies around which are bankrupting me.

I'm starting to feel like I can't have fun and treat the game as a game until I've reformed Norse, and I can't do that because other norse rulers are apparently the stupidest rulers in CK2 and will gladly lose wars to 1 province catholics when given the chance.

Reform norse as quickly as possible, but go gobble up eastern scandanavia if you want to since it'll be a while before you're miltech 4 and can go back there again after reforming.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Being based in the UK makes raiding high-value provinces so much easier since there's a fuckload of them right next to you and nobody argues with 7k stacks.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
For CK2+ shattered realm is there a good way to make eastern and latin rites follow geography? Islam and Pagan religions seem to follow geography so they can make blobs but Christendom is unblobbable.

I just want to make blobs take as long for everybody as it does for me when I start at count level so I have a fighting chance. Making the whole universe unblobbable favors unreformed pagan conquest . . . which is cool and all but if I'm going pagan, I'd rather have Cathar/Lollard/Iconoclast blobs along with others. But having various incompatible paganisms up against each other makes it less fun.

After making a Nordic Empire from Sardinia, I'm thinking of switching rules to try and save Christendom in this failed world.

Side note -- as an alternative path, any good ways to vassalize the falykrate? I could only grab 2/5 sites but since Norway already had one, I figured I'd just pass the 2 on to Norway. I needed them to reform that ruler since otherwise elective gavelkind was going to set my work back quite a bit (ended up not being a deal because I got the Empire status but contingency plans are part of ck2).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Things that've annoyed me so far:

1. Literally nobody wants to marry the empress of scandanavia, because what if her heirs get this one duchy our sixth kid is maybe going to inherit under gavelkind?!?! I kind of feel like there should be some kind of perspective modifier, but it seems to care solely about whether or not you'd get anything regardless of status.

2. I kinda hate the threat system here. It racks up so quickly and given it's culture-independent muslim and pagan rulers get as panicky about you killing all of christendom as the christians do; it means you can't do the thing in EUIV where if one culture's getting a bit tetchy you go in a different direction for a bit. At least I can raid instead of just sitting on my rear end for five years.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Wasn't Hollywood history supposed to be a theme of an upcoming DLC several DLC ago?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Is there a way to get matrilineal marriages ever? It's been about 20 years since my husband died and everyone refuses because "too high in succession", even when I'm taking massive penalties for marrying the Count of Bumfuck, Nowhere.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

spectralent posted:

Is there a way to get matrilineal marriages ever? It's been about 20 years since my husband died and everyone refuses because "too high in succession", even when I'm taking massive penalties for marrying the Count of Bumfuck, Nowhere.

Yes, marry someone who doesn't hold title and isn't the first or second in line for a title.

Like what did you think, that Count Bumfuck was going to give up the existence of his line just because he's not a king? Would you do that if you were playing a count?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

spectralent posted:

How are you looking for marriages? You can just open the marriage finder and check the matrilineal box to see the characters that are available and amenable. Also if you're already the empress then you should probably consider marrying for stats/traits since even a 400 prestige hit from marrying a commoner is negligible.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes, marry someone who doesn't hold title and isn't the first or second in line for a title.

Like what did you think, that Count Bumfuck was going to give up the existence of his line just because he's not a king? Would you do that if you were playing a count?

I would've assumed those people didn't exist, but...

Various Meat Products posted:

How are you looking for marriages? You can just open the marriage finder and check the matrilineal box to see the characters that are available and amenable. Also if you're already the empress then you should probably consider marrying for stats/traits since even a 400 prestige hit from marrying a commoner is negligible.

This is an actual helpful post, I hadn't spotted that.

And yeah, I'm definitely just trying to get someone who'll give good kids since I want a nice big dynasty with lots of little vikings when crusading time happens.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
If you don't know you can type genetic traits into the search box and anyone who has it and in range will show up.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Carcer posted:

If you don't know you can type genetic traits into the search box and anyone who has it and in range will show up.

I swear I tried that.

Do traits stack, i.e. is a genius/genius child 30% likely to be a genius, or is it still 15?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Don't bother with genetics I say, it's the will of the gods that matters most.

Also it is a little bit baffling that there still isn't an alert for "You're no longer next in line for your title chucklefuck!" for patrician/feudal elective

Also one of the patricians in After the End is just a question mark. I swear, there's something about playing in Florida that just glitches every loving time

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also it is a little bit baffling that there still isn't an alert for "You're no longer next in line for your title chucklefuck!" for patrician/feudal elective

the you will lose titles upon succession icon thing? it's there if you're in position to lose an election

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

spectralent posted:

I swear I tried that.

Do traits stack, i.e. is a genius/genius child 30% likely to be a genius, or is it still 15?

I have nothing to back it up but in my experience it definitely feels like a genius/genius couple is significantly more like to produce genius babbies.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

the you will lose titles upon succession icon thing? it's there if you're in position to lose an election
That's only there if you already have the title. I mean when you don't, but could influence things in your favour. (Btw, am I the only one who finds it dumb you can't use favours to influence feudal elective votes? Seems dumb...)

Also, Consumerist brokers can now convert you to Consumerism, which I gotta say is a goddamn stroke of brilliance. Because they're like Shiites and only spawn once the game has begun, becoming a consumerist was usually only for when you tagged over to them. Now anyone who gets a broker can become one. Now, if only you could get the national mall by buying it out from the founders...

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

spectralent posted:

I swear I tried that.

Without checking, I'd assume 27.75%. (0.85 chance of not inheriting from mother x 0.85 chance of not inheriting from rather = 0.7225 or 72.25% chance of not getting genius.)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Ok, against all odds I managed to reform norse paganism. Is my next objective to republicanise/fuedalise? Or should I aim to form Scandinavia?

I'm sort of splitting my energy between both since I've got some really unruly vassals and my council laws are all jacked up due to raising tribal centralization.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Carcer posted:

Ok, against all odds I managed to reform norse paganism. Is my next objective to republicanise/fuedalise? Or should I aim to form Scandinavia?

I'm sort of splitting my energy between both since I've got some really unruly vassals and my council laws are all jacked up due to raising tribal centralization.

Tribal Organisation goes away once you adopt feudalism, so don't worry about vassals being pissed about that.
It's a crapshoot, sometimes. If you have the demesne and troops - and enough loyal vassals - to hold off any rebellion, I'd say go for feudalism. At the very least, your tribal rebels will be slamming into the Heavy Infantry you get as a feudal leader, which is a big plus for you. If you have the money to get a couple of Duchies up and give them to people who like you before you convert to Feudal, I'd do that, too. And maybe consider transferring some of your rear end in a top hat vassals to your new Dukes and letting them deal with any disorder.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm not too worried about tribal hold outs, right now my rebels are the dumb knuckledraggers that didn't embrace reformed vikingism. They're a dying breed, something to do with state sponsored assassins.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Become a merchant republic; the hilarity of raiding and huge retinues never grows old

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I've discovered that fort levels also block river travel. Unfortunately I discovered this with a boat stuck in a river with about 1.2K gold on it. Is there any way of levelling the fort or something so I can extract it?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

spectralent posted:

I've discovered that fort levels also block river travel. Unfortunately I discovered this with a boat stuck in a river with about 1.2K gold on it. Is there any way of levelling the fort or something so I can extract it?

Pillage the provinces over and over to slowly destroy the holdings.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Am I right in thinking there's nothing I can do about these stupid council laws until I feudalise? They won't let me beat up dirty unreformed pagans so I can form scandinavia.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Carcer posted:

Am I right in thinking there's nothing I can do about these stupid council laws until I feudalise? They won't let me beat up dirty unreformed pagans so I can form scandinavia.

Find zealots and put them on the council, they're always up for a fight with heathens.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

When does the HRE typically form, if it's not the Charlemange start? It's 989 at present and we have a germany, but Pomerania and Bavaria are all still independent.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Immediately or never depending on how the Karling family tree manages to wend in case the kings are offed in a way to centralize the crowns. Its usually a forever-war musical chairs situation without player involvement.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

spectralent posted:

When does the HRE typically form, if it's not the Charlemange start? It's 989 at present and we have a germany, but Pomerania and Bavaria are all still independent.

It typically doesn't. I've never seen the AI actually form it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It typically doesn't. I've never seen the AI actually form it.

I've seen it a few times. It happens more from the old gods start I think.

• Locked thread