Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i am confident that aqua's new cleaning product that you can drink is indeed different enough from regular detergent that it is not based on any kind of surfactant

and knowing aqua, it would kill you in a new and interesting way were you to drink it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Which dialect is it?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

So has Aqua stumbled into fawning acclaim that's gone straight to her head or has she been arrested? Place your bets!

Probability of Aqua being the main boss of the season? How many episodes are left?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Its a 10 episode season again so 2 more.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Iretep posted:

Its a 10 episode season again so 2 more.

Isn't Megumins actual nemesis at the hotsprings? The One who taught her explosion?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I wish every day could be konasuba day.

paragon1 posted:

Also guys I'm feeling worse and worse for Yunyun. :smith:
:same:, and same :smith:

How is this show so drat good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nephthys posted:

Probability of Aqua being the main boss of the season? How many episodes are left?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Why do the KonoSuba seasons only last ten episodes anyway?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It cheap

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think one of the reasons that Darkness' schtick works so well is that a lot of the time she's almost teetering on the edge of being a decent person.

And then the heavy breathing starts and it all comes crashing down again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

I think one of the reasons that Darkness' schtick works so well is that a lot of the time she's almost teetering on the edge of being a decent person.

And then the heavy breathing starts and it all comes crashing down again.

I think part of why it works for me is that the answer to "Is Darkness doing things because she's a heroic crusader, or because she's a turboperv?" is usually "Yes."

There's individual instances where it obviously goes to one or the other, but most things, it's both, which adds to the fun.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

chiasaur11 posted:

I think part of why it works for me is that the answer to "Is Darkness doing things because she's a heroic crusader, or because she's a turboperv?" is usually "Yes."

There's individual instances where it obviously goes to one or the other, but most things, it's both, which adds to the fun.
The question then becomes, "Did she become a crusader because she's a turboperv, or was it just a happy accident?"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Darkness makes me think of a young girl with too much free time who juggled reading trashy romance novels with standard adventure stories, and things just mutated from there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Darkness makes me think of a good girl really dedicated to her hobbies who makes everyone's life better by existing

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Speaking of voice acting, the cast they brought on to do the crazy believers was kind of absurd.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

darkgray posted:

Speaking of voice acting, the cast they brought on to do the crazy believers was kind of absurd.

How so?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Bigger names than you'd expect for minor nameless roles, kind of thing: Ari Ozawa, Yui Ogura, Omi Minami, Saki Fujita, Akeno Watanabe, etc.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

darkgray posted:

Bigger names than you'd expect for minor nameless roles, kind of thing: Ari Ozawa, Yui Ogura, Omi Minami, Saki Fujita, Akeno Watanabe, etc.

The evidence that DEEN clearly knows how to use this show's budget just keeps mounting...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AnoHito posted:

The evidence that DEEN clearly knows how to use this show's budget just keeps mounting...

It's certainly a labor of love even if the animation suffers a bit.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I remember seeing some keyframes and they were just as derpy. From what I recall the director said it's a deliberate choice.

And when you think about it, while they're often off-model, there's fairly little use of still frames with talking heads compared to some other anime and the characters overall are pretty dynamic outside of deliberately limited animation. (Like Vanir firing his lazor on Wiz)

In contrast, Demi-chan, while it's very cute and I like it a lot, often has very long spans with very little sound or animation going on.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 3, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
How DEEN got its groove back.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

AnoHito posted:

Believe.
In.
Deen.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
You too, can have a popular voice actor if you join the axis cult

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

There Bias Two posted:

It's certainly a labor of love even if the animation suffers a bit.

It's done on purpose for comic purposes, which takes some doing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jabarto posted:

Also even I'm kinda surprised that Darkness' schtick isn't getting old by now, but somehow it keeps getting better.

It's because they gave her a motivation and then make new jokes driven by the same motivation, instead of it just being a dumb recyclable gag that can be fitted to any situation.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Half of the fun of the show is trying to predict what running gag is going to trigger next. Sometimes you can see it a mile away, and thats funny in itself. But sometimes you genuinely forget about one and tell yourself "drat that was kinda obvious in hindsight"

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's done on purpose for comic purposes, which takes some doing.

I just had an epiphany

This show is the anime equivalent of Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Beasteh posted:

I just had an epiphany

This show is the anime equivalent of Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff

I like to think Konasuba as the anime Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. You have Dennis (Aqua), Dee (Kazuma), Mac (Darkness) while Megumin is a combination of Charlie and Frank.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

"Hi, I'm Satou Kazuma, and welcome to Fantasy Anime Jackass"

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

I like to think Konasuba as the anime Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. You have Dennis (Aqua), Dee (Kazuma), Mac (Darkness) while Megumin is a combination of Charlie and Frank.

I could totally see Megumin eating milk steak.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I remember seeing a Youtube video a while back saying that KonoSuba is fantasy anime Seinfeld, so I guess this is the kind of show that is easily mapped onto the American sitcom format.

You have a bunch of really awful but interesting/funny people all bouncing off each other and whatever absurd situation of the week.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Evil Thing posted:

I remember seeing a Youtube video a while back saying that KonoSuba is fantasy anime Seinfeld, so I guess this is the kind of show that is easily mapped onto the American sitcom format.

You have a bunch of really awful but interesting/funny people all bouncing off each other and whatever absurd situation of the week.

it's basically d&d seinfeld except if the characters had actual redeeming qualities

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yinlock posted:

it's basically d&d seinfeld except if the characters had actual redeeming qualities
And it's actually funny.

If you didn't watch Seinfeld back when it aired when you were young and saw a few random episodes later it's not that great. :shrug:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think Seinfeld is about as funny as having toothache personally but the problem going back to it if you never got into it is that it's oft-imitated so feels generic and simple, not that it's unfunny in and of itself.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 4, 2017

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It's still funnier than most tv (or anime)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah, the first time I ever saw Animal House I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, but apparently if you were there at the time it was uproariously funny.

Humor's tough.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think Seinfeld is about as funny as having toothache personally but the problem going back to it if you never got into it is that it's oft-imitated so feels generic and simple, not that it's unfunny in and of itself.
Not quite that awful, but it is about as interesting as watching grass grow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the animation in this show is better than 90% of comedies because the animation is funny

complaining about characters in this looking derpy or off-model is like complaining about ren and stimpy characters going off model

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

the animation in this show is better than 90% of comedies because the animation is funny

complaining about characters in this looking derpy or off-model is like complaining about ren and stimpy characters going off model

The mothers basement youtube channel made this exact point in his video about the intro to the new season. The animators care more about adding character to the animation then it looking technically solid but having no heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Poil posted:

Not quite that awful, but it is about as interesting as watching grass grow.

It's literally a show about nothing, and they did it on purpose.