Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Josh Lyman posted:

My Antec Trupower Classic has 2x +12V rails :(

That’s still 360 W on either rail, though, which ought to be enough? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Intel processors with a K in the number (7600k etc.) can overclock, chips without the k don't. If you want to overclock get a Z series chipset, if you know you wont overclock and need an affordable board get an H series.

Don't buy the B/H-series boards ever. The $10 you save now isn't worth permanently locking yourself out of the capability to switch to an unlocked processor.

track day bro! posted:

Stupid question, I should be able to run a 5820k and a 1070 on a good 550w seasonic psu at std clocks right?

Yes, you'll be fine.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

redeyes posted:

Make sure and get a 1x 12v rail model. You do not want the older multiple 12v rail ones with modern video cards.

Why's that? Also is it going to make a difference with a 150W card like the 1070?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I kinda hope intel responds to the hopeful pressure from amd by sticking fpgas in the chip (whether as an increase in relative die size or replacing a core). While I'm almost certain the 'programs' for them would be an added cost ('App Store'), it'd be nice to be able to get hardware decode for like vp11 or h266 or (less nicely) whatever horrible drm is implemented in the future.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Talking about power supplies, one thing that was recently discovered at my work is that the 6 pin connectors for the molex 4 pin/sata power are NOT the same between manufacturers.

We are moving from using corsair bx 750s to evga 750g3s at work and a new guy plugged a cable that uses a molex power connector in using the corsair ribbon cables and kerpow. Turns out the +5v and +12v are swapped, but the keying works fine. Nothing expensive was blown up but was still a :wtc: moment, that they'd be keyed the same. Even still it should be obvious to only use the cables that come with the power supply but I would have expected more idiot proofing.

Anyway just thought that was interesting.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
^ Yeah, modular power connectors are not standardized in any way so you need to make sure you keep original cables for each unit or use known-compatible replacements.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Why's that? Also is it going to make a difference with a 150W card like the 1070?

Multi-rail supplies are more complex internally and have more limitations for no real gain. It shouldn't make a substantial difference though with something like a 1070 as long as you don't load everything on one rail, and usually EPS12V (for the CPU) and PCIe connectors won't be on the same rail if there's more than one.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
The whole multi rail being bad throws me every time. Years ago everyone was paying extra for dual rail and was heralded as the best thing.

Then years pass and I find out its a bad thing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Captain Hair posted:

The whole multi rail being bad throws me every time. Years ago everyone was paying extra for dual rail and was heralded as the best thing.

Then years pass and I find out its a bad thing.
I think once upon a time you wanted rail isolation in case one of them failed, but then people realized that was a non-issue so now it's moar powar.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Allow me to introduce you to the Dell 5 rail monstrosity

I pulled a bunch of them out of decommissioned workstations that were getting thrown out and I still have some of them in use today. I'd never ever recommend them to someone, but for free they're alright and they're my favorite reminder of the bad old days of split rails.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Multi-rail designs are perfectly fine as long as the rails are big enough for your usage. Single-rail PSUs are simpler and easier, but there is nothing inherently wrong with a multi-rail PSU and you shouldn't throw yours out just for that. OklahomaWolf of JonnyGuru fame famously prefers multi-rail designs, even if they have all but disappeared from the market.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
In theory I guess a really heavy load on one rail might cause voltage droop, but with a multi-rail design that would be confined to just that one rail. Single-rail would droop less in the first place though.

The bigger problem with multi-rail is when you get into stuff like the 295x2 where it needs 28 amps on each power connector. Some designs have unbalanced rails, like 40 amps on one rail and 20 on the other, or 30-20-20. Enough power in theory but it's split across a pair of rails.

edit: or yeah like that 5-rail design, what the gently caress

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paul MaudDib posted:

Don't buy the B/H-series boards ever. The $10 you save now isn't worth permanently locking yourself out of the capability to switch to an unlocked processor.

The DDR4 support above 2133/2400 on the Z-boards is arguably just as critical as CPU OCing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

redeyes posted:

Make sure and get a 1x 12v rail model. You do not want the older multiple 12v rail ones with modern video cards.

The reviewer over at johnnyguru constantly says that the idea that multi rail PSUs are worse than single is a complete myth, and that multi rail is often better at higher wattages.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

The reviewer over at johnnyguru constantly says that the idea that multi rail PSUs are worse than single is a complete myth, and that multi rail is often better at higher wattages.

Well, my most recent AMD RX 480 would NOT run on anything less than about 40a on the single 12v line. Could be something else but after reading around a bit, all new designs are single rail and I suspect for a reason.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

priznat posted:

We are moving from using corsair bx 750s to evga 750g3s at work

I'm more interested in what you guys are building at work. We used to custom build workstations in the early 2000s because because parts weren't great or even consistent in prebuilts but these days I assumed everyone ordered a dell precision or whatever and called it a day. Do you work in IT or at a boutique system builder?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

buffbus posted:

I'm more interested in what you guys are building at work. We used to custom build workstations in the early 2000s because because parts weren't great or even consistent in prebuilts but these days I assumed everyone ordered a dell precision or whatever and called it a day. Do you work in IT or at a boutique system builder?

We're doing hardware development and use off the shelf PSUs to power the dev boards and infrastructure. We had some issues with the corsairs so are moving away from them.

We also order a variety of servers to interop with from the major manufacturers and the occasional custom build pc just to get a wide variety of chipsets and cpus to test against.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
What's your PC usage look like?

Existing kaby lake plus fast ddr4 most certainly is a large upgrade from a typical 2600k system in gaming terms, especially in the min fps area. (And a typical 7700 gets to 5ghz without much effort).

If it's not games, then any of the 6+ core CPUs are upgrades, even if I wouldn't buy in to X99 at the moment.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I have a weird CPU question.

As you go smaller and smaller nanomater fabrications, you can either put more stuff on the same size die, or use the same amount of stuff on a smaller die, yes?

But isn't there some surface area rule that the smaller you go the harder it is to transfer heat? Ie, a 100w die with a surface area of 100mm2 would not be able to transfer as much heat as a 100w die with a surface area of 150mm2?

In such a situation would it be possible to take the blueprint of a 10nm die and sort of spread it out a bit? Imagine zooming in but keeping each line drawn the same thinness of 10nm? I can't words.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The problem with spreading it out means you get limited to lower clock speeds because of the extra distance and at that point you've lost most of the benefit of node shrinking, more spread out also means less room for extra transistors for more optimized execution units and keeping the die big means the dies per wafer count goes down as well. Maybe if you have the budget of the DOD or something to spend on a few hundred processors you could commission something like that, but a design like that doesn't line up with consumer demands.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hmm, DoD milspec processors running at high power levels you say?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/06/cheaper-better-faster-stronger-ars-meets-the-latest-military-bred-chip/

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ak Gara posted:

As you go smaller and smaller nanomater fabrications, you can either put more stuff on the same size die, or use the same amount of stuff on a smaller die, yes?

You could, there just wouldn't be a point. As craig588 notes, it would limit it's performance and cost more than a completely shrunk die. The only benefit would be potentially better thermal dissipation, and frankly that's not really a problem in most cases these days. Maybe if there were some very particular special application that called for it, but otherwise it's a solution in search of a problem.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ak Gara posted:

When you put the same amount of stuff on the smaller die, you use less electricity. The smaller transistors and wires use less electricity than the larger ones.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I have an interesting problem: My supervisor has a factor analysis problem which can chew through as many cores as can be thrown at it. Question is, how many cores is that in workstation form, and where would I order such a thing?

AWS and any cloud services are out of the question, so is building own + the troubleshooting that goes with it.

Also has to be available to order in Denmark.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

I have an interesting problem: My supervisor has a factor analysis problem which can chew through as many cores as can be thrown at it. Question is, how many cores is that in workstation form, and where would I order such a thing?

AWS and any cloud services are out of the question, so is building own + the troubleshooting that goes with it.

Also has to be available to order in Denmark.

If the only goal is to maximize number of cores in a workstation, you can get something like an HP Z840 Workstation or Dell Precision Tower 7000 Series (7910) configured with dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 processors (22 cores each, total 44 cores).

It's possible that just maximizing number of cores may not be the best performance configuration for that application, however.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
I would benchmark a similar problem to determine your needs. Find a smaller, similarly structured problem and determine computation time against number of cores, single core speed, total memory, memory bandwidth, in order to find your bottleneck.

For instance, I do hobby CFD, and research has shown you can throw cores at it for marginal improvements, but the greatest gains come from higher memory bandwidth.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Thanks duders. The problem is Parallel Factor Analysis in parallel, ie. a million models at the same time through some matlab script. My only other question beyond "how do i maximize core" would be why isn't this written in a CUDA-like fashion? Only the mind that boggles knows, and it's not telling.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

Thanks duders. The problem is Parallel Factor Analysis in parallel, ie. a million models at the same time through some matlab script. My only other question beyond "how do i maximize core" would be why isn't this written in a CUDA-like fashion? Only the mind that boggles knows, and it's not telling.

https://www.mathworks.com/discovery/matlab-gpu.html

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Intel has revealed the pricing for their Retail Edge Spring Deal. 7700k for $280, $230, or $200 depending on your retail edge level. These were last holiday deals.

Deal 1 - Intel i7-6850K
Legends: $169.00 USD
Masters: $179.00 USD
Apprentices: $199.00 USD

Deal 2 - Intel i7-6700K
Legends: $109.00 USD
Masters: $119.00 USD
Apprentices: $134.00 USD

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Is it silly to anyone else that it is a better deal for Retail Edge people then Intel employees?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Is it silly to anyone else that it is a better deal for Retail Edge people then Intel employees?

The thing is if you're not a Master level, the price isn't work it. You spend almost $20 on shipping and then you have sales tax. You could get a 7700k after taxes for less than the apprentice level pricing.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

SlayVus posted:

The thing is if you're not a Master level, the price isn't work it. You spend almost $20 on shipping and then you have sales tax. You could get a 7700k after taxes for less than the apprentice level pricing.
Huh? Even at Microcenter a 7700k is 299.99, where are you seeing it lower? 134 + 20 shipping + tax is still going to be way lower than microcenter.

Maybe you were looking at the 6850k pricing by mistake?

edit: oh, I'm confused. I misread and thought the deal from last holiday was the current deal. I wonder why the current deal is so much worse than historical deals. Is the current deal only on 7700k?

EdEddnEddy posted:

I'd probably be pretty drat annoyed if I was an Intel employee but I kinda get where they're coming from. Most people eligible for retail edge are retail sales reps and their managers, so if Intel can get them to become Intel fans by giving them a deal and/or ensuring they have first hand experience with intel processors that should help drive sales.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 9, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
134 is for the 6700k. 7700k is $280 apprentice.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

134 is for the 6700k. 7700k is $280 apprentice.

Which is only a $19 savings over Micro Center's MSRP, and Intel's probably going to charge sales tax as well since they've got property in a fair amount of states.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Which is only a $19 savings over Micro Center's MSRP, and Intel's probably going to charge sales tax as well since they've got property in a fair amount of states.
Worse yet, now that I realize I misread the guys post I think that 6700k pricing is from their previous rretail edge deal at xmas. Sounds like maybe the current deal is only the 7700k one.. weak

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I thought of an interesting question: Why can't CPU's run at even lower frequencies to save more power? Mine runs at 800 MHz at lowest.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SinineSiil posted:

I thought of an interesting question: Why can't CPU's run at even lower frequencies to save more power? Mine runs at 800 MHz at lowest.

Past a certain point, reducing the operating frequency won't save enough power to be measurable, since the supporting electronics still need a certain amount of power to operate anyway. Modern CPUs will temporarily shut down whole cores in situations where the clock has already hit the minimum, because that way will save power in a more effective way than say, trying to reduce the clock speed to 200 MHz.

Also, depending on the hardware it's connected to, reducing all the CPU cores to too slow a speed might cause problems for communicating with other system components that don't downclock as far, like RAM or the expansion bus cards. This is less of a problem nowadays than it used to be.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

fishmech posted:

Past a certain point, reducing the operating frequency won't save enough power to be measurable, since the supporting electronics still need a certain amount of power to operate anyway. Modern CPUs will temporarily shut down whole cores in situations where the clock has already hit the minimum, because that way will save power in a more effective way than say, trying to reduce the clock speed to 200 MHz.

Also, depending on the hardware it's connected to, reducing all the CPU cores to too slow a speed might cause problems for communicating with other system components that don't downclock as far, like RAM or the expansion bus cards. This is less of a problem nowadays than it used to be.

Thanks for such good explanation!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

EdEddnEddy posted:

What's sillier is that once you apply the bundle discount with a motherboard, Microcenter is the better deal. That 7700k i just not a great deal unless you're a Master or whatever. I haven't been in retail for a while though, so I don't really care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

EdEddnEddy posted:

Project teams typically got ES units pretty soon after release when I was there. And the cobbler's kids don't wear shoes anyway.

SinineSiil posted:

There's a few answers, but the short answer is going to a lower frequency probably wouldn't save much power.

The important concept here is the "race to idle," any "active" state is going to be so much more power hungry than parking everything at C1E or lower that you want the core to get whatever work it has done so it can go to sleep. If the only thing the system is doing is updating a flashing cursor, it can be sleeping for huge fractions of a second between each little update. I think you can check for core and platform C/S states with perfmon, but it can get a little tricky because "plot these metrics live" can be more work than you were otherwise doing.

There would be more complications to making a super-slow core. The uncore is going to be chugging along full speed, and validating cases where you have a x16 PCIe card shoveling data into a 100MHz core will cause backpressure issues that wouldn't exist at 800MHz.