Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Frog Princess posted:

I blame LobsterMonster

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Now I'm second guessing myself because I have a love/hate relationship with Suga and want to see Mark Hunt knock Overeem's head into the third row. Is there any chance this card is done by 9:30 Pacific? That's 2.5 hours from starting time. I want to say they usually run about 3 hours but honestly I can't remember.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Hunt v Overeem has some interesting drama attached to it because if overeem wins he'll probably get a title shot but more importantly mark hunt will post something truly insane on facebook.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Work Friend Keven posted:

Hunt v Overeem has some interesting drama attached to it because if overeem wins he'll probably get a title shot but more importantly mark hunt will post something truly insane on facebook.

What, like a page from his biography? Including the Table of Contents?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Captain Log posted:

What, like a page from his biography? Including the Table of Contents?

hahaha

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Overeem JUST lost to the champion, shouldn't he need 1 or 2 more wins? I mean its heavyweight, but still.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Overeem JUST lost to the champion, shouldn't he need 1 or 2 more wins? I mean its heavyweight, but still.

Agreed, but if Cain or Werdum are still getting injured nonstop then it's probably gonna be between Derrick Lewis and Overeem. if JDS beats Miocic then it's gonna be the Overeem rematch for sure.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Bubba Smith posted:

if JDS beats Miocic then it's gonna be the Overeem rematch for sure.

Stone Cold Stipe The Firefighter Cleveland's Own Miocic is going to win, I think.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
He probably should, Stipe is the best heavyweight of all time right now.

But if JDS wins like he did 3 years ago then Junior is back to being the greatest ever.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Well the greatest heavyweight of all time is Fedor, but if you mean the best in UFC then it's Brock.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Well the greatest heavyweight of all time is Fedor, but if you mean the best in UFC then it's Brock.

I meant best post-Brock, so August of 2016 to now. Brock officially retired from MMA btw so I think it's fair.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Bubba Smith posted:

Talk about damned by faint praise

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Stipe should fight fedor

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
That'd be a cool run, he'd have beat a Samoan, a Belarusian, a Brazilian, a Dutchman, and a communist.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Stipe should fight fedor

Maybe if Fedor's eye sight starts to go Stipe can get his old shorts back and convince Fedor he's Crocop.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Bubba Smith posted:

I meant best post-Brock, so August of 2016 to now. Brock officially retired from MMA btw so I think it's fair.

Hell so did gsp... never say never you know.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bubba Smith posted:

But if JDS wins like he did 3 years ago then Junior is back to being the greatest ever.

lol

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Memento posted:

Gotcha, that makes sense. The thing with that is that if you set a precedent for having a back up for title fights, you're incentivising the rest of the top ten to be on weight every title fight in case of a drop out. And with the UFC treating fighters like they do, they wouldn't bother paying anyone for it and just rely on the fighters to do it themselves, endangering their health every time for probably nothing.

You realize the solution to this is fighters fighting in a weight class that doesn't require them to drop 10-20% of their body weight to make weight.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Liquid Communism posted:

You realize the solution to this is fighters fighting in a weight class that doesn't require them to drop 10-20% of their body weight to make weight.

How do you propose to regulate that?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

big money big clit posted:

you have the piss collector come by their homes much more frequently to see how clear their piss is. Don't worry, he'll agree to the extra hours

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes. Everyone knows that's the best solution, but everyone will game the system by being as big as possible and then cutting as much as possible so they can be bigger and stronger than their opponent. Until they actually enforce against dropping unhealthy amounts of weight people will keep endangering themselves to get an edge.

gently caress, look at Conor when he was fighting at 145. He looked like a late-stage AIDS patient at weigh ins. That couldn't have been good for him. Or Daniel Cormier, loving his own kidneys up to drop weight for wrestling.

You could have periodical weigh ins in camp but people would just rehydrate to get to their target weight then not drink for 36 hours to get back on track. Maybe make it surprise weigh ins?

Clearly the ufc doesn't see it as that big a deal to them because fighters are having problems with weight but they're not doing any of the things that we, the premiere MMA forum on the planet, have been suggesting for them for years.

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 5, 2017

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

fighters do what they do because it's a statistical like, competitive edge. idk why changing the system would disincentivize them doing the same poo poo in a different way

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You can't really, other than financially penalizing them for backing out of fights due to cutting issues or turning up overweight so they stop taking fights under what they can comfortably cut to on short notice. Honestly I'm surprised the state athletic commissions don't make dehydration testing before a fight a mandatory thing. Probably won't happen until someone collapses and dies of it.

If I were to take a swing at a way to do it rules-wise, something like the NCAA wrestling guidelines would be a good place to look for ideas.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 5, 2017

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Memento posted:

You could have periodical weigh ins in camp but people would just rehydrate to get to their target weight then not drink for 36 hours to get back on track. Maybe make it surprise weigh ins?

Clearly the ufc doesn't see it as that big a deal to them because fighters are having problems with weight but they're not doing any of the things that we, the premiere MMA forum on the planet, have been suggesting for them for years.

Didnt one fc or some other non-us promotion implement a scale man akin to a piss collector recently where the fighters have to be within some percentage of their fighting weight, or did I imagine that? If it's not a fever dream, how is it going assuming someone knows? I've dropped off of non ufc mma in the last few years

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Liquid Communism posted:

You can't really, other than financially penalizing them for backing out of fights due to cutting issues or turning up overweight so they stop taking fights under what they can comfortably cut to on short notice.

If I were to take a swing at a way to do it rules-wise, something like the NCAA wrestling guidelines would be a good place to look for ideas.

Well they already get penalized by either not being paid if the fight is called off, or losing a percentage of their purse if they cannot make weight and the fight goes on.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Well they already get penalized by either not being paid if the fight is called off, or losing a percentage of their purse if they cannot make weight and the fight goes on.

That's a penalty for loving up a weight cut, not for cutting an unhealthy amount of weight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Bunch of really dumb decisions in these fights.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Hahaha these fights are fantastic.

Edit: oops wrong thread.

While I'm at it I am mad about Joey B and Souza vs Whitaker is insanely my poo poo.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 5, 2017

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Bunch of really dumb decisions in these fights.

mirsad bektic

more like

you're bad, dead bitch

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Making weight is part of a fighter's job. You know you are going to have to make weight after your 8 week camp, either diet properly or move up a weight class if you have no discipline.

I feel it is the same as a fighter coming to a fight and gassing after 4 minutes, the fighter didn't do his/her job. No one is calling for longer breaks between rounds so that fighters can recover better.

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009
Wow, what. When was Jacare vs Whittaker announced? I didn't hear anything about it, I just saw it show up when Mighty Mouse was announcing his next fight. That's a great fight, but I feel like it might be too soon for him to be taking on the upper echelon of the middleweight division. Won't be surprised if Jacare gets another 1st round sub.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JuanGoat posted:

Wow, what. When was Jacare vs Whittaker announced? I didn't hear anything about it, I just saw it show up when Mighty Mouse was announcing his next fight. That's a great fight, but I feel like it might be too soon for him to be taking on the upper echelon of the middleweight division. Won't be surprised if Jacare gets another 1st round sub.

Whittaker is good and if he can stay upright he'll probably knock Jacare out. If

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Same day weigh-ins would probably be the easiest solution however there's plenty of issues there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Same day weigh-ins are a worse problem, not a solution.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Move to the honor system for weight.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Nibbles! posted:

Same day weigh-ins would probably be the easiest solution however there's plenty of issues there.

That wouldn't be better. Then you'd have dehydrated as poo poo guys on fight night.

The only real solution is USADA-like weight checks during camps to make sure you aren't x% above your fight weight.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

UFC could just get rid of weight classes and match guys up by how explosive and thick their asses are. you can't hide how powerful your rear end is no matter how much water you cut

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Tsyni posted:

Move to the honor system for weight.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

That wouldn't be better. Then you'd have dehydrated as poo poo guys on fight night.

The only real solution is USADA-like weight checks during camps to make sure you aren't x% above your fight weight.

You'd probably just end up with fighters who were dehydrated and undernourished throughout camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

DC-Rumble has been cancelled for the 10th time as both fighters have eaten too much fried chicken and missed weight 6 weeks out from the fight date...

• Locked thread