Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Turtlicious posted:

Which would I like more Symphonia, Zestiria, or Graces, if I liked the story a lot in Berseria

Probably Tales of the Abyss or the two Xillia games actually because unfortunately those three aren't strong in the story department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Max Payne 3 is a terrible game with fantastic gunplay and mechanics. There's so much stuff getting in the way of what should be a good time, it's depressing

As sort of a counterpoint I played on PC and didn't care for the mechanics at all - I found it got really stale by the end, there just wasn't enough to it - but you're right that it's kind of immaterial because they interrupt you every 15 seconds to show you Max Payne doing or saying something cynical. I swear you really do spend more time watching than playing in that game, and the cutscenes are not interesting.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Max Payne 1 and 2 are freaking fantastic, except for a pair of super awful levels.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

vandelay industries posted:

Hey

Looking for fun PC online multiplayer games for 2-4 people, preferably team based or co op.

Currently we are playing Overwatch, H1Z1, and Orcs Must Die. I've tried so many other co op multiplayer games and it's hard to find something we all like.

Leveling stats and skills and/or a sense of progression is probably a requirement. Not sure what else to add for requirements!

Catching up on this thread so this is a bit late but, 7 Days to Die. Although it depends why they didn't like Terraria, I guess. The reason I haven't read this thread in a week is because we were binging 7DTD :v:. We played it 3 years ago and had fun then and it's so much more fleshed out, now. Join a persistent server for that MMO feel, or create your own for a private sandbox full of zombies that will wreck your poo poo. Then get annoyed because minibikes keep crashing the server...

If your group likes Orcs Must Die they might like Sanctum, too. Sanctum2 had a bit more meat to it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tagra posted:

Catching up on this thread so this is a bit late but, 7 Days to Die. Although it depends why they didn't like Terraria, I guess. The reason I haven't read this thread in a week is because we were binging 7DTD :v:. We played it 3 years ago and had fun then and it's so much more fleshed out, now. Join a persistent server for that MMO feel, or create your own for a private sandbox full of zombies that will wreck your poo poo. Then get annoyed because minibikes keep crashing the server...

If your group likes Orcs Must Die they might like Sanctum, too. Sanctum2 had a bit more meat to it.

Dungeon Defenders is really fun as well, and dirt cheap by now. It's like a 3rd person tower defense with 4 classes, and you also get to walk around gently caress poo poo up with your character.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't it garbage now because they constantly tweak the numbers for their hardcore fans?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was under the impression that any development still going on with DD1 is being done via fan effort after the re-release failed miserably. I guess in that case it wouldn't be a surprise if they ended up balancing things for whoever's still playing, but a glance at their latest patch notes (from last year) shows buffs and fixes and the like.

If you're talking about what went down before all that, well the short of it is that back in its heyday DD was a loving mess.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Are there any good isometric rpgs with Diablo like combat? I've been trying to replay BG2 and looking at some things like Tyranny and Tides of Numenara but I can't stand the slow tedious DnD style combat they all seem to have.

E: Or hell, just any lesser known RPG. I recently played through Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur and they were pretty decent. I'm way more into story than mechanics and gimmicks.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 4, 2017

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Are there any good isometric rpgs with Diablo like combat? I've been trying to replay BG2 and looking at some things like Tyranny and Tides of Numenara but I can't stand the slow tedious DnD style combat they all seem to have.

E: Or hell, just any lesser known RPG. I recently played through Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur and they were pretty decent. I'm way more into story than mechanics and gimmicks.

Have you played Grim Dawn?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Path of Exile is pretty much an exact Diablo clone with a few small tweaks.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Have you played Grim Dawn?

No, looking at some gameplay now. Looks pretty good. Thanks I might give it a go.

kedo posted:

Path of Exile is pretty much an exact Diablo clone with a few small tweaks.

Is this an mmo though? I'm looking for something single player.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Gave Rogue Legacy another shot last night after bouncing off of it on my first go, and now I'm jonesing for some Metroidvanias on PC, maybe more Vania than Metroid (so RPG mechanics rather than straight exploratory platforming). I'm sure there are a shitload of these out there, but what are the best ones?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 6, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

You can get your money's worth out of MMOs singleplayer. However, Path of Exile is not an MMO. It's singleplayer with online functionality, just ignore other people in the hubs and enjoy literally Diablo 2.5.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Path of Exile can be played solo as well, but if you're looking for story over game mechanics then it might not be what you're looking for.

It's a free game though, so giving it a try will only cost you time.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

No, looking at some gameplay now. Looks pretty good. Thanks I might give it a go.

Last time I played Path of Exile was quite a few years ago but at the time you could play it by yourself and it is definitely just like Diablo 2.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

I'm your opposite. I recentlyish mistakenly bought Aarklash: Legacy because for some reason I thought it had turn-based combat, and gave up on it almost immediately since it didnt. So you could try that.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Agreed with others: the multiplayer components in PoE are superficial at best. You'll only see people running around in hubs and you'll never see anyone elsewhere unless you specifically invite them to your instance.

I had a lot of fun with it for a good 40-50 hours.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Actually I should clarify. A story rich RPG that can be isometric or not, but if it is isometric, doesn't have a fiddly turn based combat system. I've had my fill of grind for drop games like Diablo. Like, I'd really love to get into one of the newer Obsidian RPGs but after the 20th time I get into a fight and just shut them off and stop playing because it becomes incredibly tedious for me.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Y'all I need a turn-based RPG thats visually awesome, has a good bit of character customization (visual/multiple combat styles or classes) - I've played Tyranny, which was amazing but I'd like something prettier I guess is my thing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

black.lion posted:

Y'all I need a turn-based RPG thats visually awesome, has a good bit of character customization (visual/multiple combat styles or classes) - I've played Tyranny, which was amazing but I'd like something prettier I guess is my thing.

Dragon Quest 8

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Actually I should clarify. A story rich RPG that can be isometric or not, but if it is isometric, doesn't have a fiddly turn based combat system. I've had my fill of grind for drop games like Diablo. Like, I'd really love to get into one of the newer Obsidian RPGs but after the 20th time I get into a fight and just shut them off and stop playing because it becomes incredibly tedious for me.

since story rich seems to be your main criteria, have you played Witcher 3, my dude?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

since story rich seems to be your main criteria, have you played Witcher 3, my dude?

Yeah a couple of hundred hours worth and the other two. I guess I'm looking for more like Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur - which aren't great AAA titles but they're good enough.

How hard is Final Fantasy to get into if I want to try out one of the more recent ones without playing through two dozen earlier games?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yeah a couple of hundred hours worth and the other two. I guess I'm looking for more like Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur - which aren't great AAA titles but they're good enough.

How hard is Final Fantasy to get into if I want to try out one of the more recent ones without playing through two dozen earlier games?

Not very, because each FF is a separate contained story UNLESS it's a direct sequel to one - see X and X-2 / 13 and 13-2, 13-Lightning Returns.

That said, the FFs are more story-heavy cinematic experiences than worlds you can screw around in like Dragon's Dogma, with the exception of 12, which isn't on Steam yet.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Dragon Age: Origins?

edit: also if you're new to witcher franchise I can recommend the earlier games. Witcher 1 has a great story, poor combat system being the game's flaw. It's also very long, a ton of content. Witcher 2 is quite similar to the third game. Shortest game of the series but has a more familiar feeling to it.

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 5, 2017

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Trogdos! posted:

Dragon Age: Origins?

edit: also if you're new to witcher franchise I can recommend the earlier games. Witcher 1 has a great story, poor combat system being the game's flaw. It's also very long, a ton of content. Witcher 2 is quite similar to the third game. Shortest game of the series but has a more familiar feeling to it.

I've played the hell out of all the Witcher and Dragon Age games. That's why I'm looking for lesser known titles. I think I've played all of the big name RPGs.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Try the divinity series? The first ones (Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity) are old diablo-likes, the second one is an third person open-world-ish action game, and the third one is more in the vein of the obsidian games. In particular, the second one sounds like it might be your thing if you enjoyed Amalur and Dragons Dogma.

You could look at Mars: War Logs and The Technomancer, which are cyberpunk RPGs kind of in the Bioware style, but also really janky.

Also, it's this thread so go play Dark Souls again.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Torment: Tides of Numenara has extremely few combat encounters. Alpha Protocol is great too.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
With the new Zelda game out I am craving an adventure game of some sort. I might play ocarina of time again but I was curious what other games of this type there are?

I'm thinking something in the vein of a third person action adventure game like Zelda/OoT/Fable 1. Any ideas?

e; also should that add my options are pc or android.

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 5, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Blowdryer posted:

With the new Zelda game out I am craving an adventure game of some sort. I might play ocarina of time again but I was curious what other games of this type there are?

I'm thinking something in the vein of a third person action adventure game like Zelda/OoT/Fable 1. Any ideas?

e; also should that add my options are pc or android.

Darksiders 2 (or 1 but 2 is better) is basically PC Zelda

Rise of the tomb raider is also good.

So is Barman Arkham city.

Plenty of good options available

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 5, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I always feel like Darksiders is an odd choice because while Zelda was obviously one of their inspirations and the games inevitably share some similarities, the end products are pretty vastly different.

Though I suppose part of the problem is that all of the more blatant Zelda-inspired games available on Steam are 2D.

I think Beyond Good and Evil hews pretty close.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
This is kind of a specific request. In Arcanum, there's a newspaper that tracks what's going around in the world. If you make a big splash, it's covered in the game. You can even do an interview and its gets published. I'm curious as to what other games-of any genre-track player actions through third party news sources that are in the background. I think Bloodlines does too. And the newer Fallout games of course, but that's more front and center.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Final Fantasy is easy enough to get into. It's a lot of people's first RPGs! Final Fantasy IV was the first RPG I ever played. But as mentioned, they are pretty linear JRPG experiences. Not much like Amalur or Dragons Dogma.

Good Final Fantasy games to start with are V, VI, or XV. The other ones can be fun, but they have just -loads- of exposition and the graphics and/or voice acting have not aged well.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Eela6 posted:

Final Fantasy is easy enough to get into. It's a lot of people's first RPGs! Final Fantasy IV was the first RPG I ever played. But as mentioned, they are pretty linear JRPG experiences. Not much like Amalur or Dragons Dogma.

Good Final Fantasy games to start with are V, VI, or XV. The other ones can be fun, but they have just -loads- of exposition and the graphics and/or voice acting have not aged well.

Are the myriad PC and mobile Final Fantasy games any good, remake or otherwise?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

All of the classic ones (1-6) on PC are mobile ports. Fans of the series have somewhat derided them, but they're probably still fine for most people (disclaimer: I haven't personally played any of them).

The best remake in the series is FFIV Complete on PSP, if you happen to have one of those lying around.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

prometheusbound2 posted:

This is kind of a specific request. In Arcanum, there's a newspaper that tracks what's going around in the world. If you make a big splash, it's covered in the game. You can even do an interview and its gets published. I'm curious as to what other games-of any genre-track player actions through third party news sources that are in the background. I think Bloodlines does too. And the newer Fallout games of course, but that's more front and center.

Hitman: Blood Money immediately comes to mind. (Though I guess that's not exactly in the background.)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 5, 2017

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm in the mood for something sandboxy with a decently high learning curve, depth, and a sense of accomplishment as you expand and automate, working your way up from rags to riches. Here are the sandboxy "work your way up from nothing" games I already own:

-Factorio
-X3: Reuinion
-The Guild 2: Renaissance
-Modded minecraft
-Rimworld
-From the Depths
-KSP
-Edit: Mount and Blade Warband

Not interested in: Dwarf Fortress, Aurora 4X

I've been looking at Kenshi but apparently it's been in development for 5 years and still in early alpha, so I'm reluctant to drop $20 on it. Anything else good that fits this criteria?

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 7, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So there's a PSN game called Uncanny Valley that looks really cool, reminds me of Lone Survivor a bit; is there actual gameplay to it like Lone Survivor? The PSN footage largely seems to just show the first few minutes of the game, which is a lot of talking and walking a little bit. Any goon recommendation there?

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
So i really enjoyed the FIFA Manager series which ended in 2014 mainly because of the building/personal life side of things. I wouldnt focus as much on the training and development of my team, i would mainly play to upgrade the stadium, do advertising and build up my personal wealth and skills. So because those things are absent from Football Manager i never really enjoyed that series.

Does anyone know of anything that has a similar management type feel to it? It doesnt have to be a sport game, i just like the idea of building something from nothing but also improving myself/my character. I have been playing Planet Coaster but there is little sense of achievement in that game. I thought Stardew Valley might scratch an itch but it is way too slow to get around and seems a bit linear. I like the look of Motorsport Manager but not sure if it has what I need either.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I'm in the mood for something sandboxy with a decently high learning curve, depth, and a sense of accomplishment as you expand and automate, working your way up from rags to riches. Here are the sandboxy "work your way up from nothing" games I already own:

-Factorio
-Modded minecraft
-Rimworld
-From the Depths
-KSP

I've been looking at Kenshi but apparently it's been in development for 5 years and still in early alpha, so I'm reluctant to drop $20 on it. Anything else good that fits this criteria?

Possibly the Anno games could scratch that itch. It's all about setting up supply chains and automating production to grow your settlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Kibbles n Shits posted:

-Factorio
-Modded minecraft
-Rimworld
-From the Depths
-KSP

A bit dated, but maybe check out Patrician 3 or 4.