Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Miyamoto??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

hey remember that time that the game you liked's director literally equated gay people to dogs having sex in the rear end

I have so many writers, actors and directors who I used to respect.

I liked Bill Cosby once upon a time. :smith:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh4WnHlsbvM

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

i hate having to manually take out a new weapon after one breaks in the middle of a fight, which happens at least once per fight because weapons only last for maybe two enemies. i hate that things like the torch or the leaf are obviously not meant to be used in fights but they take up weapons slots anyway

I agree on the leaf/torch thing I just stopped carrying a torch since there's usually one there already in places where you need one (and if not you can use fire arrows) The clubs and stuff from the little moblin guys break pretty quick but once you start finding better equipment with like 20-30+ attack it seems last a pretty decent amount of time because I'm always full on weapons now. The durability doesn't really bother me though I think the variety is neat

But I did end up in a combat trial shrine I think was taking on way too early and it broke all my weapons (but I got 3 super strong ones as a reward so it was ok)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

hey remember that time that the game you liked's director literally equated gay people to dogs having sex in the rear end

You gotta separate the artist from their work.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

i remember the time he made a goofy webcomic that made a mario reference immediately before suddenly getting really depressing and hosed up

i'm glad armikrog apparently sucked so i don't have to even bother looking at it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

There are multiple people over in the Shovel Knight thread who do exist.

Actually going to call you out on this because it seems like the only guy talking bad about the option is Junpei Hyde who doesn't like it for a totally different reason

Well, besides the guy whose name is African AIDS cum but something tells me their posts are intended to rile folks up, perhaps their name of African AIDS cum is indicative of this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Honestly, NM, this isn't a good place for the chat thread to go

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 5, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Grapplejack posted:

That gets harder and harder to do the more the artist does lovely things. As an example, I think Jontron's videos are great but he never stops being an idiot on twitter and I can only divorce Jontron the funny youtube man from Jontron the stupid twitter man for so long.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Grapplejack posted:

I used to argue this fervently but as time has gone on, I realized there is so much worthwhile work out there that I already don't have time for that it is trivial to cut out the real shitheads and not give them any consideration

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I took a break from playing the Witness to get on Uurnog (by the guy who made Knytt) and it's cuuuuuute. These boxes keep making cute noises as I ferry them around and there's a bird set of boxes that flies and I'm just so charmed by everything in this game, even when a gun goes off at the wrong moment and nukes half of my cube collection.

e: Also just in case folks missed it Uurnog's on the humble store for sale. Dunno if it's going to steam.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Grapplejack posted:

Nah, you don't. That's a personal choice.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Macaluso posted:

That gets harder and harder to do the more the artist does lovely things. As an example, I think Jontron's videos are great but he never stops being an idiot on twitter and I can only divorce Jontron the funny youtube man from Jontron the stupid twitter man for so long.

i can't divorce him at all, i'm not gonna laugh anymore at a guy that insane and toxic

it says a lot that even some of his own old youtube buddies kind of hate him now

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah I didn't keep up with Twitter stuff and when I heard Jontron was being horrible on twitter I thought maybe he typed something that came off poorly. Then I checked. Nope that's not the case :stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If only more developers could be like Croteam and make super cool and awesome games and maintain a friendly relationship with their fans without shoving their foot into their mouths like some devs do

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

I don't really want to a lot of the time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CJacobs posted:

If only more developers could be like Croteam and make super cool and awesome games and maintain a friendly relationship with their fans without shoving their foot into their mouths like some devs do

all the developers i've loved have historically been really chill, friendly people so i'm happy to keep buying games made by chill, friendly people

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think separating art from artist is a lot harder for video games because the developer is often such an integral part of the game itself, not just in its marketing and branding but also its creation. In a lot of cases you can feel their influence while you're playing, especially if you're aware of how deep their involvement was in it. Fez is a wonderful and puzzling game with a great art style and good atmsophere, but I bet no small number of people didn't buy it or couldn't enjoy it because of the looming shadow of Phil Fish.

edit: And I think such severe examples exist for all forms of consumable media regardless. Have you ever tried reading HP Lovecraft's writing instead of the wikipedia summary of his writing?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 5, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

At least Lovecraft is long-dead. I can't watch Woody Allen movies at all.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CJacobs posted:

I think separating art from artist is a lot harder for video games because the developer is often such an integral part of the game itself, not just in its marketing and branding but also its creation. In a lot of cases you can feel their influence while you're playing, especially if you're aware of how deep their involvement was in it. Fez is a wonderful and puzzling game with a great art style and good atmsophere, but I bet no small number of people didn't buy it or couldn't enjoy it because of the looming shadow of Phil Fish.

edit: And I think such severe examples exist for all forms of consumable media regardless. Have you ever tried reading HP Lovecraft's writing instead of the wikipedia summary of his writing?

Orson. Scott. Card.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
literally the only thing i've read written by orson scott card is ultimate iron man ii and uh

man, that comic's an experience

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah I didn't keep up with Twitter stuff and when I heard Jontron was being horrible on twitter I thought maybe he typed something that came off poorly. Then I checked. Nope that's not the case :stare:

I'm in the same boat, it was weird watching an hbomberguy video and being vaguely aware that the guy people post funny GIFs of sometimes is now doing five-hour livestreams about commulists.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a lot of the previous generation that got into gamedev were of the generation that got bullied and then became the bullies. this generation and next generation still have kids who will grow into conservative assholes but by and large the younger generations seem to have more innate empathy and consideration for others, that I feel like gamedev will continue to improve in many ways

LPing is probably no different demographically speaking. lp zone forum seems really socially conscious but i also feel like there's barely anyone of my age there except maybe the people who created it

doug tenappel is weird in that while he is an artist, a lot of what he has done is just be An Idea Man where he pitches an idea and then other people do it. all of his TV shows were like that, I assume his games are like that too

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

I'm in the same boat, it was weird watching an hbomberguy video and being vaguely aware that the guy people post funny GIFs of sometimes is now doing five-hour livestreams about commulists.

I find that especially funny because "i am secretly a nazi" was a running joke in his videos when he first started

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A relevant quote by Warren Buffet: "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently."

Unfortunately for Warren Buffet, this knowledge does not in fact cause people to do things differently. Hence people like Jontron's self-immolation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sure but have you seen his let's plays? Warren cant even get out of the tutorial area of breath of the wild

fuckin g casual.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would watch a let's play by Warren Buffett

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

if anything, i respect terry pratchett even more after, nearing the end of his days with his inhibitions, uh, inhibited, he wrote the foreword for his reworking of the carpet people where he took a mad potshot at george r.r. martin, because children, really, are the ones who write stories where everyone loves to go to war and kill each other and die

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Warren Buffett Plays Wall Street Kid

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

if anything, i respect terry pratchett even more after, nearing the end of his days with his inhibitions, uh, inhibited, he wrote the foreword for his reworking of the carpet people where he took a mad potshot at george r.r. martin, because children, really, are the ones who write stories where everyone loves to go to war and kill each other and die

Jokes on him then, all the big franchises now are ones where everyone is dying and the world is hosed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

Jokes on him then, all the big franchises now are ones where everyone is dying and the world is hosed.

Which is annoying, the world needs less Bad Things Happen And It's All Incredibly Cruel For Your Amusement

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Grapplejack posted:

They know the populace longs for death.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Musicians are almost all really terrible people, especially the good ones. Even Tricky punched a reporter once :(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Was the reporter a terrible person?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

Musicians are almost all really terrible people, especially the good ones. Even Tricky punched a reporter once :(

buzz aldrin clocks moon landing truthers giving him guff all the time and that doesn't make him a bad person

just a person who lent his voice talent to a bad game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The White Dragon posted:

buzz aldrin clocks moon landing truthers giving him guff all the time and that doesn't make him a bad person

just a person who lent his voice talent to a bad game

I thought it was just the once

I mean, it was a good once

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Al Gore should start clocking global warming deniers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Was the reporter a terrible person?

Possibly. He also called Bjork a "psychic vampire", though that might just be actually true.

e: I can't watch Woody Allen movies now either. It's not rational, but I feel like there are enough good movies out there that I'm good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really like NWA's music but I didn't watch Straight Outta Compton because all I could think of was the time Dr. Dre cracked a woman's head open against a bathroom wall because she said NWA's music was sexist in an interview, and the rest of the outfit supported him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Straight Outta Compton caught quite a bit of flak for not mentioning it (and other Dr Dre related incidents like it) despite taking place during the era of the group when it happened, for what it's worth

• Locked thread