Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

JT Jag posted:

The changes to the base are the single biggest thing that make XCOM 2 more newbie friendly, in my point of view. Heck, there are times when I actively look forward to scanning the geoscape so I can progress things or get this objective finished or unlock that cache, more than I'm looking forward to the next fight.

That said, I'd still start with Enemy Within, because original MECs and gene mods are too fun.

I can't believe they ruined the Boosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
Xenonauts is riot shields: the game. as it tends to give you fuckall for cover in its maps. :v:

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Thefluffy posted:

Xenonauts is riot shields: the game. as it tends to give you fuckall for cover in its maps. :v:

Amusingly it encourages the gently caress out of riot shield because you can still use a handgun, and the handguns do the same possible damage as rifles.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

64bitrobot posted:

Amusingly it encourages the gently caress out of riot shield because you can still use a handgun, and the handguns do the same possible damage as rifles.

That's messed up. A proper way to do that in a game is a tactical trade-off between the two.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I think the trade off is A) no autofire, B) less grenades/ammo/gear as its heavy (so to avoid a Time unit loss) and C) less aim. But its been awhile since I last played Xenonauts, I might have just been giving my riot gear to the rookies who sucked at time units (shotguns) and shooting (rifles, sniper rifles).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also pistols have atrociously bad range. That's fine for the end of the mission when you have to root out the last couple of guys hiding in the crashed ship, although in that case shotguns are better, but it can be pretty bad getting into a long range duel with a lizard dude carrying a plasma rifle when all you have is a pistol.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Thyrork posted:

I think the trade off is A) no autofire, B) less grenades/ammo/gear as its heavy (so to avoid a Time unit loss) and C) less aim. But its been awhile since I last played Xenonauts, I might have just been giving my riot gear to the rookies who sucked at time units (shotguns) and shooting (rifles, sniper rifles).

Pretty much. Less ammo, more TU to reload (reloading with a riot shield is not easy), less overall gear you can carry (shields are heavy and your load was based on strength). Otherwise though, same potential damage.

Also as previous poster mentioned, range isn't as good. Basically, the fact that they do the same damage is just a small blessing that keeps them useful.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So out of interest, anyone here play the game on PS4? My backlog's drying up and I've some store credit to burn (Since otherwise the only things moderately interesting that I want to buy now or soon are the Bioshock collection and Persona 5).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

GoneRampant posted:

So out of interest, anyone here play the game on PS4? My backlog's drying up and I've some store credit to burn (Since otherwise the only things moderately interesting that I want to buy now or soon are the Bioshock collection and Persona 5).

I did. I liked it well enough on PS4, but obviously you're not going to get the mods that improve quality of life (for instance, health bars vs. the actual HP counter you see in this playthrough).

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

GoneRampant posted:

I played it through on Xbox, I thought it was a really solid port even without mods.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
I bought it on PS4 because of this LP. The load times are a bit longer than I noticed in the videos, but I'm having a blast. I'd say go for it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Jagged Hot Center

This time around we get some stuff gone on the world map and in the avenger. A supply drop gives us the materials we need to build a lot of shiny new equipment, a scan site gives us a little bit of a break, and we will be in India by the next video to strike back against an Avatar Facility. Good times.

Today's mission isn't anything super new, a council VIP capture/kill mission, but it does go to show that even though I felt like I had things under control at all times things can still go wrong. This one became surprisingly difficult at the end. Guava and I touched on this previously, but Sectopods in the wild are normally only really dangerous when they have support, and in cases like this where a sectopod's pod and a reinforcement pod activate on you at the same time, it can get bad in a hurry.

Also I'm really not sure what happened with the Andromidan shell. The best I can tell is that I killed it with out line of sight to it. It shot me though a closed doorway and Shellshock killed it with mind powers through a wall. So when they die and the shell thing happens the Andromidan actually dies, is despawned and the game spawns in a new model in the same location. Normally this works out fine, but because of some fuckery this mission it meant the shell spawned behind a wall and it must have updated lines of sight for it and decided the shell couldn't see any enemies and therefor it was in passive mode until it came to join the fight a few turns later. Really weird.

New skill choice, SPARK Champion Rank
Sacrifice vs Nova

The great Guava v Jade debate continues on this skill choice. Sacrifice is the defensive option, adding armor and defense to the SPARK while drawing fire away from nearby soldiers while Nova is a no action cost point blank area of effect attack that starts costing the SPARK health the more it is used. I couldn't fault either skill choice here, either lends itself to a particular play style. With Bulwark already selected Sacrifice really lends itself to keeping your soldiers safe. Overdrive plus Strike plus Nova though can mean running up to something, punching it in the face, and then blasting it and anything around it to death if it survives. Either power could be very powerful and great in emergency situations to either keep a wounded solder alive, or to expend a bit of SPARK health to make sure something dies immediately. The no action cost of Nova also would have been super handy versus alien rulers, but I am a little too late for that.

Winner: Depends on your mindset. Sacrifice is the defensive option and Nova is the offensive option.

I even left this one undecided in the video, so it's up to you guys to decide for Julian.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jade Star posted:

Also I'm really not sure what happened with the Andromidan shell.

On reflection, I think the answer is that Andromedans use cover, but the shell doesn't. Enemies in cover "peek out" from cover and can be seen one tile over from where they actually are. Once it became a shell, it stopped peeking, and was in a place where you couldn't see it. This is also the explanation of how sometimes you can lose sight of an alien if you destroy its cover. FYG,J :xcom:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Jade Star posted:

I even left this one undecided in the video, so it's up to you guys to decide for Julian.

Honestly, we can make more SPARKs. Take Nova on Julian and look at the alternative skill setup for another SPARK another time, if or when you get to another SPARK.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

nova sounds pretty sweet, and jule's extra armor just gives him more breathing room to go crazy with it

side note: has intimidate ever once worked? i don't think it has

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Sacrifice is the obvious skill choice here. With Julius' armor and hp so high, activating that can be a good OH poo poo button to protect other guys

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
What, MORE armor on Julian, you say? Sacrifice.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the truest armor is the reaper's grim cloak

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Voting Nova

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Okay, I have two points to contribute:

Proving Ground Glitch
This has been showing up consistently on my game as well. Not sure what causes it, but it only happens when you click the button to go to Proving Ground after a project completes, and only after the controller patch.

ADVENT Reinforcements on Rooftops
When I tried it before, they just land on the ground below the flare instead. Kind of lame; I was hoping they'd have to reposition their landing zone or something and delay for a turn, at least.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Deus Ex HR has a boss fight where you do the footsteps in water thing, maybe that's what you're thinking of? That boss fight was pretty metal gear.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Nalesh posted:

Deus Ex HR has a boss fight where you do the footsteps in water thing, maybe that's what you're thinking of? That boss fight was pretty metal gear.

I think i just figured it out. I may have been thinking about the boss in Dark Souls in the painting world. I think she's invisible and you have to see footsteps or something. It's a real vague memory.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Julian is a shining star, and should have Nova to reflect this.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Jade Star posted:

I think i just figured it out. I may have been thinking about the boss in Dark Souls in the painting world. I think she's invisible and you have to see footsteps or something. It's a real vague memory.

That was snow, but fluffy tail also did it yeah.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Her footsteps in the snow, yes.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
You definitely want Sacrifice on Julian.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

side note: has intimidate ever once worked? i don't think it has
I think it worked way back when Jade killed the Viper King. The Serpent Armor's passive intimidate ability on Vipers did kick in during the mission where Jade executed the Archon King, that I do know.

Also, voting for Sacrifice.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
a vote for Nova because max damage

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Xcom2: Jake and killing bosses

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
According to some Internet sources, Sacrifice will even redirect AOE damage from your soldiers to the SPARK, so if a Muton sees your soldiers all clumped up around Julian (because of the small radius of Sacrifice) and throws a grenade at them, every hit from the grenade will be applied to Julian instead. Which means that now it's a question of "are they applied separately or together?" Does Julian's 6 armor (4 base + 2 from Sacrifice) count against every single one of those grenade damage rolls separately? If so, that would be huge. And hilarious.

Vote for shenanigans! Vote for Sacrifice!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I vote Sacrifice. Good video Jade.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Does the RAGE suit increase the damage your melee weapons do? It feels like it should.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Dinictus posted:

Honestly, we can make more SPARKs. Take Nova on Julian and look at the alternative skill setup for another SPARK another time, if or when you get to another SPARK.

Would a second SPARK even be worth training up at this point? However, I would love to see how a Guava-flavoured SPARK does compared to Julian.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Another miraculous display of bugs. I've never seen any of those after a hundred-odd hours of XCOM2.

Also, you might be thinking of The End in MGS3, whose footsteps you follow around the map to locate his sniper nest.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Take Sacrifice because sunk cost

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Sacrifice.

Elth posted:

Would a second SPARK even be worth training up at this point? However, I would love to see how a Guava-flavoured SPARK does compared to Julian.

It's pretty late in the game for noob anything. You could probably throw a SPARK into an A-team mix and gift it enough kills to level up but Jade would have to keep playing a long time to level it up to be useful on its own.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
We have to take Nova. Shine on, Julian. Shine on so hard you and everyone around you feels searing pain.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've been meaning to say this for a while since you've been mentioning it in the videos but... if you change the bradford-mobile's skin I will shank you

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Shei-kun posted:

We have to take Nova. Shine on, Julian. Shine on so hard you and everyone around you feels searing pain.

Agreed. Julian shall ride the road to Vallhalla,shiny and chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grizzwold posted:

Does the RAGE suit increase the damage your melee weapons do? It feels like it should.

It has a special melee attack that does not cost any action points to be used. What makes it fun is that it can be used in the middle of a reaper chain to help keep it going.

• Locked thread