Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Possibly a dumb-O question but I was ok waiting for this to drop on Steam but I can't find anything about gamepad support anywhere, and I can't fathom trying to play this on M+KB... anyone heard anything about gamepad support for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Possibly a dumb-O question but I was ok waiting for this to drop on Steam but I can't find anything about gamepad support anywhere, and I can't fathom trying to play this on M+KB... anyone heard anything about gamepad support for this?

Steam page says Partial Controller Support, no reason to believe it's not going to support at least 360/Bone controllers.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I can't imagine this not having controller support to the point that lets you play it like on a ps4. That would be insane for a title like this. IT would be like shipping steam MGR with incomplete controller implementation.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol the steam forum for this game is a trash fire

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

lets hang out posted:

pretty much a built-in feature on steam

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah i scrolled through the comments to see if anyone else asked and barely got 30 posts in before i got LITERALLY scared.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Hello friends.

Please do not visit the Steam forums.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Phone posting PS4 player here: screen caps?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

It's probably tons of rear end

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This makes me feel sad.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Wow, fair enough. I actually preordered the tshirt version of this game today, if only I'd have known that Square Enix were assholes maybe I'd have kickstarted an anime game or something.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
seriously don't visit the steam forums, at least one rear end in a top hat has their username set to major spoilers(?)

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

dazat posted:

So I cleared the game, save for leftover side quests/joke endings.

It improves upon the original in every way except story; NieR still reigns supreme in that department. Not that Automata's story was BAD, no way, but imo it ended up going a little crazy with all the plots and conspiracies... If not for the side quests (including two that HUGELY flesh out 2B/9S' relationship, so much that I can't believe they made them optional) the C/D branch might have left me feeling more flat.

I wonder what they have in store for us re: DLC? Those locked doors with the apologizing robots really bug me!

Are you kidding me? The story was better in the fact that it turns out that the game is about us gamers finally banding together and putting a stop to yoko taro's usual bullshit of killing characters that we grow to like and making us feel bad. Now we get to feel GOOD/BAD. Also I missed those crucial sidequests that really flesh out 9S/2b and I still felt a huge stake in the characters but that's just me.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

polish sausage posted:

Are you kidding me? The story was better in the fact that it turns out that the game is about us gamers finally banding together and putting a stop to yoko taro's usual bullshit of killing characters that we grow to like and making us feel bad. Now we get to feel GOOD/BAD. Also I missed those crucial sidequests that really flesh out 9S/2b and I still felt a huge stake in the characters but that's just me.

Still feelin' bad about operators 6O and 21O.

Thanks for the flowers. :(

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Does the EU/US version of Nier: Automata come with the japanese audio track?

The english voices sound annoying as gently caress.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Kawabata posted:

Does the EU/US version of Nier: Automata come with the japanese audio track?

The english voices sound annoying as gently caress.

Pretty sure it does.

I was happy with the English voices though.

Tensokuu posted:

So if my biggest issue with the demo was that I found the camera switching between 2.5D, overhead and 3D being really wonky, am I going to enjoy the game itself? I've kinda written off demos in general as of late as being a good determination of the final product (WoFF had a terrible demo and Nioh's demos weren't great in my opinion) so I figured I'd ask people who have played it

This happens a lot in the game, but I really liked it. Genre-melding is one of Yoko Taro's signature moves, so if this is a huge turn off then you might wanna consider giving this one a pass, or at least looking at some videos of gameplay. I personally found it really good, and while some sections had stranger controls in different camera modes, the overall experience was great to me.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

pezzie fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 5, 2017

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
So if my biggest issue with the demo was that I found the camera switching between 2.5D, overhead and 3D being really wonky, am I going to enjoy the game itself? I've kinda written off demos in general as of late as being a good determination of the final product (WoFF had a terrible demo and Nioh's demos weren't great in my opinion) so I figured I'd ask people who have played it

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

arisu posted:

Edit: Also yeah 9O was super gutwrenching but then 2b straight up dying threw me for a such a loop I almost forgot about her. Man, Route C was just rough all around.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 5, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/838218887204241408

So Yoko Taro followed me and tweeted this back after I asked him about controller support. I tweeted @ square Enix but I doubt they'll be as responsive. It really speaks to this man's dedication to his fans that even when he doesn't really have an answer, he'll go out of his way to respond.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/838218887204241408

So Yoko Taro followed me and tweeted this back after I asked him about controller support. I tweeted @ square Enix but I doubt they'll be as responsive. It really speaks to this man's dedication to his fans that even when he doesn't really have an answer, he'll go out of his way to respond.

He follows and replies to basically all tweets. Dude's great.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

the way steam classifies controller support is weird. Dark Souls has partial support but you use it all of one time, when you assign your character's name. So I'm sure it will be fine.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
PSN preload is up, so you too can stare longingly at the game icon for the next couple days

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

polish sausage posted:

I still really liked it, I just think NieR's execution was better overall. I guess the "EVERYTHING WAS A BIG CONSPIRACY" swerve didn't impress me as much since NieR already did it to better effect. 2B and 9S were really well-developed and Ending E was touching, both for the happy ending and Yoko throwing loyal NieR fans (whose support is basically the whole reason Automata exists) a bone.

arisu posted:

I feel like the Operators are a good example of how plot essential most of the side quests are. 6O crying over flowers and 21O mentioning wanting a family has way more impact if you do their quests first.

Also there's the foreshadowing about E-type units, A2 doing nice things for the robot kids, 9S making a grave marker for 2B and 2B's audio recording for 9S, the latter of which isn't even a side quest and is super easy to miss.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It says there's a minimum possible skeleton crew running the moon server where Humanity's data is stored and a piece of intel shows that not every single crate sent to moon is empty. Perhaps they're the ones doing that? They'd obviously be in the know about the facade and most invested in keeping that secret

I missed that, thanks! Basically wanted to know so I could better imagine Jackass heading up there and kicking their asses, lol.

dazat fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 5, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Uh, anyone ever had a preorder that cleared ages ago display the error message "preorder payment failed" when you tried to preload it? Only information given is "please try to purchase again." Uh, no. You took my PSN credit already.

And no way to contact support until work hours tomorrow. Ugh.

Edit: Might have just been a stage in switching to preload. The failed preorder is still in my download queue, but a second preorder just got added that is now downloading. Weird.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 5, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Steam Forums for any game is a trash fire. Don't read them unless you want brain cancer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Steam forums are about as bad as the other brand official ones like Microsoft, Nintendo's or NeoGAF. Too much tribalism and pride in their purchase to make sense.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Based on what little information I've seen about the PC port it seems like it'll be of the exactly the same quality as MGR which isn't amazing but is perfectly playable.

dog house
Sep 13, 2012

What was wrong with the PC port of MGR?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The steam subforum thats all about VAC bans and kids protesting that they really totally super didnt cheat is actually pretty drat hilarious

but yeah other than that it's like 95% of internet game forums - horrible mind searing sewage

Jack Trades posted:

Based on what little information I've seen about the PC port it seems like it'll be of the exactly the same quality as MGR which isn't amazing but is perfectly playable.
Could you link your sources? I loved the PC port of MGR so that'd be a really encouraging read for me

of course ive also played 200 hours of the DS1 pc port so maybe i'm just entirely desensitized

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 5, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dog Hausu posted:

What was wrong with the PC port of MGR?

It was locked to a max resolution of 1080p and frame rate of 60fps and if you were unlucky (I was), running your video card through HDMI would force your display to output at 24hz meaning it was actually entirely unplayable. This was never fixed, but I believe there's a mod that does fix it now. I had to use a third party program to fix it at the time.

There's rumours going around NieR's port is the same in regards to resolution and fps but I don't believe they're substantiated.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

It was locked to a max resolution of 1080p and frame rate of 60fps and if you were unlucky (I was), running your video card through HDMI would force your display to output at 24hz meaning it was actually entirely unplayable. This was never fixed, but I believe there's a mod that does fix it now. I had to use a third party program to fix it at the time.

There's rumours going around NieR's port is the same in regards to resolution and fps but I don't believe they're substantiated.

The game was locked to 60 fps, but someone released a patcher like a month after release that let you use whatever res you wanted. I wouldn't be surprised if Nier were locked to 60 fps, but it'd be odd not to include higher resolutions this time around.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Could you link your sources? I loved the PC port of MGR so that'd be a really encouraging read for me

Xeremides posted:

The game was locked to 60 fps, but someone released a patcher like a month after release that let you use whatever res you wanted. I wouldn't be surprised if Nier were locked to 60 fps, but it'd be odd not to include higher resolutions this time around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO-_FKlHRRQ&t=1517s

Nier Autobutta will be locked to 1080p, 60 fps.

MGR also had wonky key rebindng and I had it be locked at 50 fps for some reason at one point.

It was still a perfectly playable port but it could've been better.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 5, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I guess it's pretty safe to assume it's 1080/60 then, but I'd not count it out 100% because that's quite old information and possible that something was lost in translation.

Didn't know about MGR's key rebinding but that's because I'm not silly enough to try play a character action game with M+KB.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Didn't know about MGR's key rebinding but that's because I'm not silly enough to try play a character action game with M+KB.

I usually play character action games with a controller but MGR was a special case because I hated aiming zandatsu's with the controller so I played it with KB+M mouse instead, which actually worked pretty well.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Is Automata seriously the #1 top seller on steam right now :psyduck:

Pretty incredible to go from obscure jank fest 150,000 sold worldwide Draken 3 to this.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Monomythian posted:

Is Automata seriously the #1 top seller on steam right now :psyduck:

Pretty incredible to go from obscure jank fest 150,000 sold worldwide Draken 3 to this.
To be fair 98% of my interest comes from it being a Platinum gameplay game that isn't one of their numerous recent shameful duds. 2% is mostly from learning that Taro sounds like a Swery light. I don't plan on ever buying or playing the prequels as long as youtube summarys/LPs can cover me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Platinum Games' amazing gameplay + japanese kind of crazy auteur storytelling. What's there not to like?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

loving casuals and their Platinum "good gameplay" hand holding. Back in my day we worked for our Taro stories by killing a million dudes on the first stage, and liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
i still think NieR is fun