Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012

That actually looks decent. Add the variations to the mix and I would consider catching one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
The really, really bad designs are backloaded. Up front you mostly see bland to acceptable. My least favorite Tandor pokemon come from the ice area of the game.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Mr. Vile posted:

The name may be lousy, but honestly that design isn't half bad. I could actually buy that being a real pokemon.

It reminds me of one of the artillery bugs from Starship Troopers, but anorexic.

lightace
Jul 13, 2016

for some reason, i'm reminded of this

not entirely sure why

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
You know for a game that supposed to have a theme of Nuclear radiation or something to do with nuclear power, there isn't anything just justifies the games title outside of the prologue.

I was really expecting the nuclear meltdown to have more of an impact on the game than just the characters mother dying. Such as mutated pokemon and a desolated landscape.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we're 2 badges in dude, the plot hasn't even started yet. I'm sure that there will be plenty of dumb bullshit about that to come

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Doseku posted:

mutated pokemon

Someone clearly has not been paying attention.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Remember, this is a game where there's a type called Nuclear. Radiation's probably going to be important (I wouldn't be surprised if it was a new status effect, in the style of Burn).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, keep in mind that this lp is still in the period that every pokemon game has where you're just kind of being gently railroaded to some random podunk towns to get a badge or two, maybe with a cave here or there. any actual 'interesting' stuff or plot crap won't be for a little bit, most likely.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thats changing a bit.
In b/w you meet ghetsis in the first gym town, and in b/w2 its your rivals motivation. iirc XY also has you meet lysandre pretty early on.
Havent played SuMo so i dunno

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SuMo's story begins before you take control of your character.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats changing a bit.
In b/w you meet ghetsis in the first gym town, and in b/w2 its your rivals motivation. iirc XY also has you meet lysandre pretty early on.
Havent played SuMo so i dunno

SuMo has you start by getting saved by Tapu Koko

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The SuMo players motivation is straight up "I'm Gonna Be The Very Best" but one of the villains motivation is basically "you're a dumb kid and I'm going to prove it to you by interfering in your quest" and the other villain's motivation is "BWAHAHA I AM LUDICROUSLY EVIL I SHALL TORMENT THE SECONDARY FEMALE LEAD FOR MY MALEVOLENT PURPOSES!" so you just kind of blithely wander over to where they're vamping and murder them with this vapid expression on your face that makes me laugh every single goddamn time.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
SM's plot is kid goes on tourist tour and ends up being the king/queen.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Kurieg posted:

The SuMo players motivation is straight up "I'm Gonna Be The Very Best" but one of the villains motivation is basically "you're a dumb kid and I'm going to prove it to you by interfering in your quest" and the other villain's motivation is "BWAHAHA I AM LUDICROUSLY EVIL I SHALL TORMENT THE SECONDARY FEMALE LEAD FOR MY MALEVOLENT PURPOSES!" so you just kind of blithely wander over to where they're vamping and murder them with this vapid expression on your face that makes me laugh every single goddamn time.

I did appreciate some of the more subtle effects the other villain had on the secondary female lead
but since its a Pokemongame, its rather immediately made obvious that, yeah, that is a villain

also the backstory for the first villain is more than I expected to see in a game, and you just gotta love a straight up dick

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010

Doseku posted:

You know for a game that supposed to have a theme of Nuclear radiation or something to do with nuclear power, there isn't anything just justifies the games title outside of the prologue.

I was really expecting the nuclear meltdown to have more of an impact on the game than just the characters mother dying. Such as mutated pokemon and a desolated landscape.

Plot starts at gym 3, it's just that there's like 5 routes of areas between gym 2 and gym 3, so it's a bit of a slog to get past.

Shiva Asori fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 5, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DeafNote posted:

also the backstory for the first villain is more than I expected to see in a game, and you just gotta love a straight up dick

hell yeah, that;s why i love Blue and Silver

unless you mean literal dicks, which i also love but not in a pokemon game (my metapod named PENIS excepted)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mandatory lesbian posted:

unless you mean literal dicks, which i also love but not in a pokemon game

It's fine, we still have the dick chariot in grim dark pokemon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DeafNote posted:

:agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9n3oxBZ0s

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I also caught one of these! It was part of a plan in the earliest scheming phases, but that fell off when I got better plans. It was to be a counter to that Overheat spamming 'mon in the OP, but when it finally came time to face it, just merely nullifying fire damage with Flash Fire felt so

quaint.

Obligatory shorts kid.

While Hidden Power sits in the menu as a normal move, its effective type depends on the user's IVs. This makes it essentially random based on the individual. There's science to check what type it is that'd be trivial since we can directly view IVs, but I prefer the old fashioned trial-and-error strategy.

It's so weird that Uranium has TMs sitting in plain view along the main path like this.

Sr. Goldkorn is the game's sole Gentleman. His name reads awkwardly.

This battle background doesn't fit at all but it sure is pretty.

Probably because it was straight stolen from X/Y.

Oh yeah I caught one of these too. I don't care about it at all really. It's normal/dark.

A fisherman just up the bridge has Fortog's evolution. Now it's a more awkward frog.

Confusion is the basic special psychic move, to fit our basic special psychic fish.

gently caress

you

Blants's Hidden Power is Bug, which is great as it lacked a special bug move.

That black there is the border of the map. It's not big enough.

Hey, a blatant sign we'll be getting strength and that we need it to get through here!

Water ant. Like Smore it's pure bug but evolves on learning the right water move.

Lotadio and Lungs?! are enough water for now, nevermind Zapmander and Nep-Nep (in reserve).

There's stuff to the right here, but if we step on the tile below that staircase on the top, we're forced into the next cave and cannot exit until we defeat the boss. You know, what good games do, trap you in dungeons with no warning before you can even see the dungeon.

Bulk Up is nothing exciting in the grand scheme of things.

Oh hey it's just... sitting here. On the beach. And to get the bike from it we have to walk aaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllll the way back to Kevlar.

Of course, I do that, because I make good choices.

Original: PU-Bycicle(mp3).ogg

Yes it's spelled like that. Yes it has the mp3 in parenthesis but is still an .ogg. No it is not very good. So it needs replacing.

So, when I think bike songs, I think of one band, and one song they did.

OFSelects: Queen - I'm in Love With My Car

Anyway for stepping on this tile we're forced in this cutscene where Theo is trying to go into the cave that is dangerous because of swarms.

He ropes us into being his buddy. We have no choices in here, not even to ask for a chance to prepare for being forced into a cave.

If we try to leave, Theo tells us we can't, and so we can't. The only way to leave Comet Cave is to complete Comet Cave.

He's our buddy in battles though! Exploring a dungeon with a partner showed up in 4th and 5th gens. The wild Pokemon all show up in double battles, and your AI controlled ally has his own Pokemon. In this case, Theo leads with his Raptorch and has his Cubblfly and a new guy we won't see until later, Minyan. Per usual they all have IVs of 10 and wild level up moves.

This is one of many hold items that boost damage of a given type by 20%. This is the one for Poison, obviously.

Comite is something I can't catch yet because Theo won't not try to KO everything. I later grab one I name Sedimental, because it's rock/psychic, geddit?

We can get utterly torn up in each fight, but it's fine as having a partner means your Pokemon are fully healed after every fight. At least I get that out of being forced into this cave.

On one hand it boosts HP by 10 EVs. On the other hand, it sells for 4900 euros. Probably better to sell these in this game.

What you aren't seeing is that there's an encounter about every 4 steps. It's quite a pain in the butt to have to chop down a Tonemy or two every few seconds.

Hey, it's an evolution stone. If nothing else Uranium gives you more than enough to fill the Pokedex.

The cave's been shaking every now and then.

It shakes again and Theo runs away over a rock.

Then some strength boulders fall. We're more stuck in here than before.

The only way out is through this guy.

Original: PU-SpecialPoke.ogg
OFSelects: Battles: Race : In

Mirrored is a really loving good album, guys.

Terlard is Grozard's evolved form. Now it's ground/dragon. And this one is a level 22 boss encounter. Uranium has a few of these, battles against a lone but very strong wild Pokemon.

Of course it comes with a strong Ground move, pre-packaged.

Not a slouch in coverage, either.

Lungs?! puts it to sleep with Yawn, though.

And then I use my one Dusk Ball I got somewhere (as in I do not remember where) and let all these multipliers hoist each other up.

After all, nothing said I couldn't catch it.

I think they are unified only when they are overcome with searing rage...

And seething lust.

Since it's a fixed encounter and not that hard to catch, I don't have to settle for the first one I see. Instead I take this one.

Whatever issue was causing the cave to have wild double battles has ended, and we only have a normal cave with an obnoxiously high encounter rate!

Duodick was causing it by being a punk, apparently? But since I've enslaved him (them?) he's (they're?) no longer being upset in there.

And we're out of the cave, and it's fall here and only here for some reason.

PU-Route 05-06.ogg

Birbie's evolved form Aveden. Let's see what type Duodick's Hidden Power i-

...Ground? That's... awkward.

The gate to the next town is real close. Rochfale Town apparently has falling rocks, hence the name. No rocks actually fall at any point, though.

The Pokemon Center is in plain view pretty early in the town, for once. This gives me a chance to go back to route 5 and get catching.

Note to self: Maybe the over-leveled fully-evolved thing using STAB ground moves will OHKO the unevolved electric thing.

Third ant. Like the other two it gets its secondary type on evolving.

Hahaha what the heck

Eventually I don't murder Norman Mareedus's digital sheep and pick one up. It will not be the sheep of choice for this run.

This is when Baashaun finally show up in the wild. Why did I want a wild one? To nickname it, of course! What do I nickname it?

...I mean, what else?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Shorts kid makes even less sense in this game than in others. Your character is wearing shorts

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

comite happens to be part of one of the few evolutionary lines that i actually kind of like in the game

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Baashaun is one of those designs/ideas I can see Pokemon actually doing. A black sheep variant of Mareep, albeit likely Dark/Electric instead of Dark/Fighting. Speaking of which, oh boy, double fairy weakness. With how much this game seems to love putting dark, dragon and other uncommon types everywhere, picture how many folks are gonna start rocking Fairy moves despite neither of the mon's types being Fairy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

But Baashaun isn't orange, how can it be your fursona?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Blaze Dragon posted:

But Baashaun isn't orange, how can it be your fursona?

Quick, somebody make an edited sprite that's day-glo orange.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i actually like baashun, it's kinda cute...

also

this is literally charizard's head right, like i can't be the only person that sees that

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Compared to some of the earlier designs, there's been a few that I'm fine with in that past update, but they're still very clearly fakemons. They're just missing that polish that proper designs have after a few hundred edits and committee approval.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I like all three of those baby bugs. The black sheep is cool too.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Compared to some of the earlier designs, there's been a few that I'm fine with in that past update, but they're still very clearly fakemons. They're just missing that polish that proper designs have after a few hundred edits and committee approval.

Building from this, some of the sprites have noticeably less polish than others. I'd be really interested in knowing how many sprite artists were involved in these designs. Some of them seem okay, if uninspired, but some of the sprites like Jerbolta and Tonemy looks noticeably worse than say Tancoon or Baashaun.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

also

this is literally charizard's head right, like i can't be the only person that sees that

it probably is, wouldn't be surprised if most of the pokemon were working off some base sprite. all the trainers absolutely are, and far less subtly, at least.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

cant cook creole bream posted:

I like all three of those baby bugs. The black sheep is cool too.
I like the concept of Costraw too, myself, but, as usual, the execution is lacking. And well, we'll see what happens to it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So I was going to make a "SHAUN!" / Heavy Rain joke but I stumbled across https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_the_Sheep

Probably not the actual inspiration of the name. :shrug:

So far, I have more problems with the names rather than the looks of the pokemon we've seen. Also, Barewl is still dumb.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

since Aveden is Normal/Flying, Duodick's Hidden Power could be Ghost!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So I was going to make a "SHAUN!" / Heavy Rain joke but I stumbled across https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_the_Sheep

Probably not the actual inspiration of the name. :shrug:

Nah that's most certainly where it came from. And the Baa is added since that is a sheepsound.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

also

It's even worse if you look at the 'official art' or whatever.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

serefin99 posted:

It's even worse if you look at the 'official art' or whatever.

So it's managing to rip off Dugtrio, Doduo, and Charizard. Impressive!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So, when I think bike songs, I think of one band, and one song they did.

OFSelects: Queen - I'm in Love With My Car

:golfclap:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

"Shaun" was already a pun on "shorn" there, to be fair, so it could be independent. Although saying that, "Baashorn" would probably be a better name anyway (double portmanteau - baa, shorn, bash and horn)

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

also

I really am fascinated how some of these designs are Frankenstein'd combinations of older Pokemon parts. Like how Sponee looks like Joltik combined with Igglybuff. I guess it is less literally stitching the sprites together and more a matter of trying to emulate the artstyle as well as the fact that there are only so many ways you can design a Pokemon based on an animal like a spider before you start seeing similarities, but some of these feel particularity blatant in what they are ripping.

And of course, like rannum said, the trainers are less subtle about being rip offs, with Davern's pre battle cut-in being "inspired" by Rorak's as a clear example.

Cerebellumn
Oct 29, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Nah that's most certainly where it came from. And the Baa is added since that is a sheepsound.

I figured that it's also Baa-shun, because it's a black sheep.

Cerebellumn fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

quote:

Comite is something I can't catch yet because Theo won't not try to KO everything

I thought in this game co-trainers would at least skip their turns if you start trying to catch pokemon
(course that still requires the desired pokemon to survive and the other to be killed first)

• Locked thread