Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also - while you are saying that it is unlikely that they could sneak some force to attack us from the rear, you are at the same time saying we could sneak a unit much farther away to capture a town. I know Saros is a small unit, but he has the disadvantage of dealing with an unknown enemy disposition, while the French know for certain that the whole map except for St. C. is their playground, so they can be stealthy with a much larger force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

steinrokkan posted:

So? the dice have been rolled, if we got there first, we win, if they got there first, they win. No need to grasp at straws for a major victory when we can ensure a minor one. Right now our flanks are wide open.

And Saros can't materially affect that in any way that can't be accomplished just as easily by my shifting my companies so that my picket line extends up onto Pasteur. This move has the potential to give us a major victory without costing us a minor victory if it fails. I see no good reason not to try.

steinrokkan posted:

Also - while you are saying that it is unlikely that they could sneak some force to attack us from the rear, you are at the same time saying we could sneak a unit much farther away to capture a town. I know Saros is a small unit, but he has the disadvantage of dealing with an unknown enemy disposition, while the French know for certain that the whole map except for St. C. is their playground, so they can be stealthy with a much larger force.

No, what I'm saying is that the only route they can do that from before they run out of time is around our eastern flank, and I can give us enough advance warning to neutralize that threat. If they swing wide enough that my pickets don't see them, they don't actually get into position to attack us before the clock runs out.

And we do have a rough idea of the French disposition: they're concentrated to our southeast, with a few guys to our south and southwest. The only way they stop this move by Saros is if they're across the western road, and that in and of itself would be useful information to have.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 4, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

It's not a matter of stealth, it's a matter of 1) getting lost and 2) being able to give those orders in the first place. When Mon Pere entered the field I bet their C&C degraded quite a bit, and now that he's dead it's probably even worse. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they were incredibly limited - like, you can only change orders once every 16 turns, or only for 2 brigades, or whatever. They're paralyzed, and while they could get around it by having step-off times way in the future and issuing orders piecemeal as they can, that just means it'll take forever to coordinate anything and a major attack could only happen after the timer runs out.

TL;DR the Entente forces are probably sitting at the end of whatever their orders were from way back before sunset and are unable to change. They're most likely sitting stationary on Dejeuner and Clemenceau trying to figure out a way to coordinate. We've got a massive advantage in still being able to move and give orders like normal, so we should actually exploit that for once and just go the long way around where they might be.

And finally, for the whatever-th time, Saros is so depleted he won't be anything more than a speedbump if he tries to defend anywhere, anyways. Might as well just roll the dice and hope it works out rather than get scared and turtle up in the one bit of the war where movement is actually possible.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Changed my wires to cover Heygail's SW a bit better.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To hell with it, it's just three companies, I've changed orders. Now for people to actually carry them out...

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Saros is currently working on his ATG LP I think, I'll bug him in the Discord to either come post orders or at least give someone else permission to post in his stead.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We're not playing against a Pdox algorithm here. If Saros inexplicably survives the journey without stumbling upon an enemy unit, any of which will splat him without breaking a sweat, and makes it to the objective, I can already taste Trin writing a very unimpressed with our stranding some poor saps behind enemy lines General Kuno in the debrief. We're not going to one weird trick this scenario.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
5th Brigade Orders

Extend the picket line to the northeast to cover Pasteur. When the company scattered by the French cavalry rallies, have them return to their previous position. Once everything is in position, return to defensive stance and await the dawn. Prior orders on not engaging Entente units unless forced into close combat still apply.

EDIT: Aphid, look up Fort Douaumont. There's precedent for a small German force taking a vital position and the French responding poorly.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 4, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

4th Bde orders

Get your marching shoes on:

Move along the following path in a compact formation with the MG in the middle, infantry up front, marching order on roads engaging any enemies you find.

No retreat, always be charging.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I just realised something!

We can use Jaguars!'s engineers to dig jump-off trenches. That way, if we want to, we can attack in the morning from a much better position (and dissuade the French from pushing against us when they see the "hellfortress" in front of them). What do you guys think? If you're in favour, we should get into Roll20 and draw some lines for them.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I just got home from cleaning a cooling tower in 38F weather (fun!), so I'm not sure what condition the spreadsheet is in! Oops!

I have requested that Feldwebel Holenspieler be released from cleaning duties to assist me in this matter in the future.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Turn 38: 0130
French initiative
The battle will end in 13 turns

5th Brigade's orders are invalid. They do not contain a map, and "extend the perimeter" is not nearly detailed enough for me to move its companies with any degree of certainty as to where they should attempt to go. The brigade does not move.

79th Brigade moves its guns, and 4th Brigade gets underway at the first attempt, rumbling off into the night.

Turn 39: 0200
French initiative
The battle will end in 12 turns

No news, other than that the occasional noises from your engineer have died out for a moment as it shifts position.

Turn 40: 0230
French initiative
The battle will end in 11 turns

No news. The banging restarts.

Turn 41: 0300
German initiative
The battle will end in 10 turns

No news.

Turn 42: 0330
German initiative
The battle will end in 9 turns

No news.

Turn 43: 0400
French initiative
The battle will end in 8 turns

No news.

Turn 44: 0430
French initiative
The battle will end in 7 turns

No news.

Turn 45: 0500
French initiative
The battle will end in 6 turns

The 4th Brigade moves through Brioche.

:siren: The next soft deadline is TOMORROW, 5th March, at 7pm GMT. The battle will end on the sixth turn of a planned eight.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

So nothing happened. Alright, well, it sounds like it's just about over unless the French come roaring in with some massive assault in the next few turns.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, that was quiet. If I've got this correct, we have one turn of darkness at 0530, basic spotting at 0600 and 0630, and three turns of full day with full spotting from hills, 0700, 0730, 0800.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Time to open champagne, and for once it's not to forget.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
19th division
THE SANDMANGet valid orders in here, even if they are not going to matter, we need to maintain decorum.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I wonder how the victory/loss breakdown will shake out. I suppose it will in the end be something like a minor French victory, depending on how many reinforcements they called in.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Any German commanders who read this, please attend in Roll20.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Special Update, By Agreement Of Both Sides

Turn 51: 0800
German initiative

The German end-of-battle timer runs out on this turn. This is the final position of each side's forces.

You began the battle with 195 companies and added 52 for a total of 247 companies. You had 79 remaining on Turn 51, losing 168 casualties.

The enemy began with 210 companies and added 46 for a total of 256 companies. They had 106 remaining on Turn 51, losing 150 casualties.

Very shortly thereafter, two entire reinforcement German corps arrive and the forces you've committed to the battle so far are withdrawn. The reinforcements are slightly annoyed to find the French cavalry in Faibleimpot and are forced to proceed cautiously. Nevertheless, you push forward strongly, but mere moments before being pushed off the map completely, French reinforcements arrive at 1300 and redress the balance. The force of your assault is considerably blunted. Both sides' commanders quickly conclude that this battle is unlikely to result in a decisive victory and the fighting flows off the map, heading inexorably North as part of what will become known as the incredibly-inaccurately-named Race to the Sea.

Another battle will be fought here in 1915 along the following approximate trench line.

General Kuno von Moltke assesses your performance after the battle as follows:

1). You successfully occupied Quatreprouts, and the presence of two lunatic French generals on horses cannot be legislated for. Though you were driven out, you took bold action during the night to reoccupy the town, which we still hold.

2). You took and held St Croissant against considerable French opposition.

3). You failed to confine the French to a portion of the battlefield, with sanguinary consequences on Dejeuner Ridge.

4). You took heavy and unnecessary casualties, although you did not lose three-quarters of your total force.

He therefore considers this battle to have been a minor German victory, although he is mildly disappointed that it could not have been converted into anything more substantial. He decorates Oberst HEY GAIL with the Iron Cross, Second Class, for the 77th Brigade's stalwart performance without taking any casualties.

100 years later, the encounter at St Croissant is not a very well-studied battle among historians. Those who do take notice of it either rate it as a minor German victory or as a stalemate, according to their preferences and biases.

The battle killed or wounded some 30,000 French soldiers and 33,600 German soldiers, a total of 63,600 casualties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIIOGka3LKI

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 4, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The observer thread is now open to all players.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Well I give deserved props to cryo for being right about Quatreprouts though that seems to have been a failing of the French than a success on our part. I guess looking at those final positions they were expecting us to come out and attack them instead of them coming to us.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

koolkevz666 posted:

Well I give deserved props to cryo for being right about Quatreprouts though that seems to have been a failing of the French than a success on our part. I guess looking at those final positions they were expecting us to come out and attack them instead of them coming to us.
i have talked to my dad and he told me he was counting on us trying more overcomplicated bullshit, and was negatively surprised when we did not

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Guys it was tremendous fun by the way, thanks.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Haha I loving knew the French had orders in a mirror image of us. I bags whatever poor loving bde gets to hold quad in 2015.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Saros posted:

Haha I loving knew the French had orders in a mirror image of us. I bags whatever poor loving bde gets to hold quad in 2015.

In the grim darkness of Trin's future, there is only The Great War.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

koolkevz666 posted:

:same: I have no idea how you worked out what you did, but being so consistently right is very impressive. Well done!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Splode posted:

In the grim darkness of Trin's future, there is only The Great War.

Aaahah thats great im going to leave that there.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

well I must say i wasn't expecting the germans to come out of that as the winners but there you go, also bloody hell Crazycryodude is a loving prophet

Comrade Cheggorsky fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 5, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

This is how I pictured you the entire game :D

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
We won? lol

So glad for this to finally be over (not because it wasn't fun, but because it turns out I do not take stress well). I had like a dozen posts I wanted to send to the French, but never did because I do not do good under pressure.

I'll write out a post mortem later today.

EDIT: is the French thread open as well?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

And vice versa. In fact there's a frenchie right above you.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Good.

Everyone run into their thread and post gg no re

Like I promised.

This is my final order to you, valiant men of the victorious III Corps!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Would it surprise anybody to learn that I'm throwing my name in the hat for Corps command?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Hi, I'd like a brigade command if it's not too much trouble.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: 1914 PART 2 BEGINS HERE: IT IS NOW TIME TO CHOOSE YOUR SIDE

It is October 1914 and the situation is promising. After the Miracle of the Marne, your forces have parlayed a series of incremental victories and stalemates into a serious chance to advance on the Channel Ports and cut the British Expeditionary Force off for good from its critical resupply bases in northern France, and the attendant short supply lines across the Channel from Dover and nearby ports to Calais and nearby ports. Intelligence reports that they have already shifted their supply lines to a much longer western route in response to the threat that we pose.

It is, therefore, absolutely vital that we both permanently deny the perfidious English access to the Channel Ports, and to remove Field Marshal French's contemptible little army from the face of the Earth. We have already captured Antwerp, Zeebrugge, Ostende, Westende, Nieuport. Effyaders is the keystone of the last possible defensive positions in front of the Channel Ports, along the canal. If you choose to play on the German side, it will be your job to advance across the map from right to left, and take and hold Effyaders.

The battle is due to begin in one week's time, with a provisional soft deadline of 5pm GMT on Monday 13 March.

:siren: IT IS NOW TIME TO CHOOSE YOUR SIDE. DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER UNLESS YOU WISH TO FIGHT ON THIS SIDE. IF YOU READ ANY FURTHER, YOU MUST EITHER FIGHT FOR THIS SIDE, OR SIT OUT THE ROUND AS AN OBSERVER, FOR YOU WILL KNOW INFORMATION ABOUT THE ENEMY THAT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO KNOW. :siren:

:siren: SERIOUSLY, poo poo OR GET OFF THE POT ALREADY :siren:

AND LIGHT A MATCH

-ends

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Hier sind vierzig Schillinge auf der Trommel
Für diejenigen, die freiwillig zu kommen,
Um den Feind aufzurufen und zu bekämpfen
Über den Berg und weit weg

Which is to say, I'm in. I'll take either a division or a brigade. I advocate for Cryo taking over the corps. I'd like to note that I prefer a division, of the two options.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 6, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I would happily re-join. As an engineer or brigade com., to give other people an opportunity for a higher command.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 6, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah I'm in. Throw me at the bottom of the reserve pile so other people can have some fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I'm in

• Locked thread