Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yes buy a PS4 Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guillermus posted:

So I just played the "House contruction factory" part in Titanfall 2 and it has the best platforming in a FPS game ever. It also helps that I like almost all guns like the pistol shotgun with three barrels, it's a little big "gently caress you" up close.

Just wait. Theres at least 2 levels that are even better platformers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So weird. I made a post and it isn't showing up. Oh well.

Summary: Get a pro, no reason not to.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Kawabata posted:

I don't have a PS4 yet.

Does it make sense to buy a PS4 Pro considering I just purchased a fantastic 50+ inches 1080p tv for cheap this summer because I didn't care about being a 4K early adopter? There's gently caress all content on 4K and other than HDR which is still a young technology that's seeing a lot of improvement in the latest $4.5k+ models the visual upgrade is just not there for me. Colors on entry level products also look like absolute poo poo compared to my current tv.

What I'm saying is, not only I don't have a 4K, I'm not planning on buying it for 2-3 years! :sweatdrop:

Read OP.

In short: yes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

saying that aloy feels boringly invincible seems like a very weird criticism when i literally cannot think of a protagonist in any kind of similar game that isn't totally invincibly badass as well

My aloy dies more than ive died in nioh lol

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

My aloy dies more than ive died in nioh lol

...How?

My first 5 combat draths were just from hitting triangle to try to do heavy attacks. Then 2 deaths from falling.

A few more deaths in the furst cauldron.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

...How?

My first 5 combat draths were just from hitting triangle to try to do heavy attacks. Then 2 deaths from falling.

A few more deaths in the furst cauldron.

Yeah i have only died like 10 times in nioh tho

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The vast majority of my Nioh deaths came from one specific fight. You'll know the one.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I dream of a day when the thread be free of "should I buy a Pro? and related questions.

Although HZD looks cool but Q2 2017 has too many games out all at once and I realized I just don't play games as quickly nowadays to justify more than one launch title.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

You have link to a scan of that? sounds amazing

I don't but nintendo actually took blockbuster to court on the grounds of reproducing game manuals, which is pretty amazing on its own

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah i have only died like 10 times in nioh tho

Oh that's fair. I've died literally over 700 times in Nioh. HZD feels like complete east mide in comparison. Enemy moves are hugly telegraphed by a giant red light. Dodging too early can be a problem, but you also get like 30 iframes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Twice now my PS4 has hard locked while playing Horizon. Not just crash to the home screen but as in everything is completely frozen and I have to disconnect it from the power. I have been putting in some marathon sessions so maybe it's overheating? I am worried

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Twice now my PS4 has hard locked while playing Horizon. Not just crash to the home screen but as in everything is completely frozen and I have to disconnect it from the power. I have been putting in some marathon sessions so maybe it's overheating? I am worried

Is it in a closed cabinet? Near a heat source? Do you live on the sun?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
take it apart and clean the vents if you haven't. Mine sounds like a space shuttle launch and I need to do the same again, but cleaning it out should hopefully make a difference.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If it were overheating it'd more likely shut itself off entirely.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think I might give it a clean, but yeah I wasn't really hearing the fan spin up at all, which either means it's not a hardware thing... or it's a really bad hardware thing. If it's Horizon, I haven't read about anyone else getting hard locks.

It's a launch PS4. It's in the open air with plenty of clearance on the sides and back.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I might give it a clean, but yeah I wasn't really hearing the fan spin up at all, which either means it's not a hardware thing... or it's a really bad hardware thing. If it's Horizon, I haven't read about anyone else getting hard locks.

It's a launch PS4. It's in the open air with plenty of clearance on the sides and back.

mines launch too and like I said it sounds like poo poo. I've cleaned the vents once or twice since then and I'm probably due for another one. IDK a lot about PS4 hardware but anything pc related just shutting the gently caress off is probably cpu heat related so try to clean up all the little vents. I don't know how much digging into the system can benefit from it, but just even cleaning the vents on in the crevice or whatever seems to help a bit. I have a pets though so I think my poo poo gets gummed up relatively fast.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Glue a whole bunch of fans to the side of your PS4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On our second PS4 (2015 model) and Horizon is eerily quiet and doesn't heat up our PS4 at all. Uncharted 4 is the only game that's given us the full "jet engine sound" experience.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Nier preload just started. :neckbeard:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One thing about Nier is that the environment graphics are way behind the curve compared to Horizon and stuff. Like, I get that it's an ugly decayed world and all but a lot of it looks like a PS2 game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ps3 minimum

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I've played the first Nier and Drakengard 3 so I know what quality of graphics I could expect. Its a Platinum game though so you can't exactly compare it to previous Yoko Taro games.

Anybody going into Nier Automata expecting AAA or Horizon graphics needs to get their head checked.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I hope one fifth of the game has no Graphics like the Forest of Myth in Nier. That was some fine storytelling

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the nier automata demo looked like a game that was coming out this year, unlike previous games. nier looked like split gen launch title that had the ps2 as the lead platform

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I hope the boss fights in Nier are really good.

Hunting big game in Horizon is really satisfying. Tearblast is such a great effect and then figuring out vulnerabilities and putting them into action feels great. It's like what Witcher 3 combat would have been if spamming Quen and Aard wasn't a degenerate strategy

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

What a greasy time for games coming up.

Horizon was Tuesday, Nier is this upcoming Tuesday, Mass effect 2 weeks from then, Persona 5 2 weeks from that.

Need more time to play games :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hope the boss fights in Nier are really good.
They're very much like boss fights in the old one, a combination of close-in fighting and 3d danmaku situations. The latter is pretty easy for a seasoned bullet hell shooter player though, just like the former is for a Bayonetta player.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
If I enjoy adventuring in open worlds and soaking up the atmosphere, but don't really care for stories in video games, should I get The Witcher 3?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Joakim Brecht posted:

If I enjoy adventuring in open worlds and soaking up the atmosphere, but don't really care for stories in video games, should I get The Witcher 3?

its a landmark game it story telling and character development in open world rpgs. the atmosphere is pretty generic fantasy though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Joakim Brecht posted:

Yeah it's really good. The story in Witcher 3 isn't really that good anyway , it's just well written by video game standards

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Joakim Brecht posted:

The atmosphere is fairly generic, but well executed. How do you feel about combat, because that's the weakest part of the game by a country mile.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

Oh that's fair. I've died literally over 700 times in Nioh. HZD feels like complete east mide in comparison. Enemy moves are hugly telegraphed by a giant red light. Dodging too early can be a problem, but you also get like 30 iframes.

You just started playing today right? Enjoy it while it lasts because most of the stuff that looks like it could wreck you absolutely will. Definetly play on hard or very hard but, big poo poo will still turn you to goo after an ill timed dodge or a bad arrow on normal. It definetly skews harder than most mainstream games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably like 12 hours in. It's really badass. I like how, yeah, there's a power curve as you get better mods and more skills, but it's not like im getting "level 16 " bows that make my original gear obsolete. It's not that kind of levelling, and it works really well.

I just took out a convoy of cargo shell carrier machines. Those used to be so scary. They had no idea what hit them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of which, I have not progressed the story for about five hours because I wanted to do the quest line that promised to give me super-cool weapons. And it did!

The game teases you with some super cool armor in another mission but they kind of pull an FF12 where you need to pick up a key item in a location that gets locked after you finish the story mission it's in. I had to look up a YouTube guide to use a glitch to get back in

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Snak posted:

Here is an example of the movement I was talking about loving.

https://gfycat.com/HomelyViciousCow

Look at that. How cool is that?
I wished they'd done some more animation mannerisms just to put it over the top, but I like that she actually starts reacting to cold weather in her animation, even though it's tipping the lampshade a little bit - given that she should probably have frostbite at that point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ufarn posted:

I wished they'd done some more animation mannerisms just to put it over the top, but I like that she actually starts reacting to cold weather in her animation, even though it's tipping the lampshade a little bit - given that she should probably have frostbite at that point.

If she started to get frostbite, she could always just walk off of whatever rock she was standing on and fall 6 feet down into a tropical paradise or desert.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snak posted:

Here is an example of the movement I was talking about loving.

https://gfycat.com/HomelyViciousCow

Look at that. How cool is that?

That's pretty cool. Would not have expected that small outcropping to be something you can traverse. Though I could do without the air control. Games need to figure out a way to get beyond air control because it will never not look silly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lobok posted:

That's pretty cool. Would not have expected that small outcropping to be something you can traverse. Though I could do without the air control. Games need to figure out a way to get beyond air control because it will never not look silly.

Every game should be as unforgiving wrt jumps as Castlevania, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any hints for the last stand tower defence cannoneering part of Horizon?

I don't know how close I've come, but, uh, I may be doing something wrong.