Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

katkillad2 posted:

I was having similar issues. It seemed like having the Switch docked was screwing with the ability to connect. I've never had any issues with my router for anything. It also shows my connection on the Switch as medium strength... even though it's like 12 feet away separated by 2 walls. Taking it out of the dock I was finally able to update and connect to the store.

I can't tell if it's defective or just lovely with wifi, but you are the only other person I've seen have a similar complaint.

I'm pretty pissed at this and I don't know what I should do with it. Still have got to get right next to the router if I want to connect to my wifi, while every other electronic right next to the switch (even the wiiU) is able to reach it, no probs.

I know a guy that's having the same issues. This is poo poo tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

IIRC someone said the Switch can't handle a specific wireless setting AES or whatever the gently caress that means. You gotta change your wifi router settings to output another version that the Switch can handle.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
I know it didn't launch with it, but has Nintendo given anything at all of a timeline on when VC is going to start on the console, and specifically when GCN VC is going to start? A $300 Zelda machine isn't super appealing to me as good as the game looks, but if they add a solid block of Gamecube games that'll probably push me into buying one sooner rather than later.

Also re connecting to wireless netorks:

I can't find anything on Nintendo's site about what kinds of wireless security modes that it actually supports, but there's this page that lists it for other devices so they'll maybe update it in the future? In the meantime, probably try the New 3DS settings as that's the most recent thing that they've put out, that's what I'd do anyways.

Circle Nine fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 5, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Loopoo posted:

IIRC someone said the Switch can't handle a specific wireless setting AES or whatever the gently caress that means. You gotta change your wifi router settings to output another version that the Switch can handle.

Even the DSi and Wii could handle WPA2-AES.

Not handling WPA2-Enterprise or some oddball Wi-Fi configuration I could buy, but seriously?

Also the home networking and information security threads in SH/SC will have some ... uh, interesting things to say about using Wi-Fi security models below WPA2-AES on your home network. (TL;DR: :eng99: and/or :kheldragar:)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 5, 2017

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why even buy the Switch now if you don't wanna play Zelda?

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

bowmore posted:

Why even buy the Switch now if you don't wanna play Zelda?
I mean I do, but if the only thing it has that I care about right now is Zelda I don't think it's worth paying $360 just to play Zelda.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There is also Shovel Knight in bed I guess

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Will Nintendo fix my Switch's dead pixel? because i'm really sensitive to this kinda poo poo and i've never had a nintendo console with a dead pixel before

Not only am I one of the unlucky fuckers with a dead pixel on my switch but it's right in the center of the screen too :(

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

Got that for 3DS/PC and I'm cool waiting for that new content to trickle out to other platforms.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

dont be mean to me posted:

Even the DSi and Wii could handle WPA2-AES.

Not handling WPA2-Enterprise or some oddball Wi-Fi configuration I could buy, but seriously?

Also the home networking and information security threads in SH/SC will have some ... uh, interesting things to say about using Wi-Fi security models below WPA2-AES on your home network. (TL;DR: :eng99: and/or :kheldragar:)

I think someone in this thread had trouble connecting to a router because of TKIP specifically, Switches should have no trouble with AES.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Loopoo posted:

poo poo guys, don't scare me. I thought there'd be a resounding "Yeah the same happens to me". Surely I can't be the only one?

Severe motion sickness from games, videos, et al is NOT normal. Sustained exposure can be really dangerous, you actually legit should see a doctor about it. There may be other people who do have the same issues, and they should see doctors about it as well.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
I got a switch (yay) and am loving it so far, my only slight annoyance is when in handheld mode the left joycon has a bit of wiggle (it moves backwards and forwards a little), the right one seems completely secured no wiggling. It doesn't affect gameplay and it's not going to fall off but it is a little irritating. Is this a common thing?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Circle Nine posted:

I know it didn't launch with it, but has Nintendo given anything at all of a timeline on when VC is going to start on the console, and specifically when GCN VC is going to start? A $300 Zelda machine isn't super appealing to me as good as the game looks, but if they add a solid block of Gamecube games that'll probably push me into buying one sooner rather than later.

The only thing they've said about VC is that when online play goes behind the paywall, there will be a free old game or two you can play free for a month. I think they also hinted that these games will have extra online functionality. Multiplayer, leaderboards, ect.
That's all we've heard officially.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Will Nintendo fix my Switch's dead pixel? because i'm really sensitive to this kinda poo poo and i've never had a nintendo console with a dead pixel before

Not only am I one of the unlucky fuckers with a dead pixel on my switch but it's right in the center of the screen too :(

I don't know where you are or where you bought your switch but check the store policies. EB, where I bought mine, has a seven day return for any reason policy (so long as you keep the packaging etc).
Although you'd hope that warranty would cost that.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Healbot posted:

Switches are registered to an account, you have to walk that back first to use it on another Switch.

Ah okay makes sense. Though you can add other accounts to the switch too (tried it today by adding my account to my friends switch, though we had he same games library).

Also I was having wifi issues (I saw my network in the list, but it had zero strength... Meanwhile i also saw multiple neighbor networks I've never seen before. The switch would fail connecting to my network. Eventually I restarted the Switch a.bunch, undocked it, and then... It just worked. And my network strength went to two bars or so. Strange.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Just to counter the internet's negative reinforcement effect: I got a Switch yesterday, connected to my wifi fine. No problems with the left joycon disconnecting.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Froist posted:

Just to counter the internet's negative reinforcement effect: I got a Switch yesterday, connected to my wifi fine. No problems with the left joycon disconnecting.

Yeah same here, WiFi was easy, the update was so quick I didn't think it had happened! Left joycon has not disconnected yet. I am poo poo at Zelda though and keep falling off stuff however this is my personal issue not Nintendos.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Falling off things is an endearing hazard.

Although in the second main area heading into the water and fighting the giant rock monster of doom that pops up out of nowhere was an awesome and impressive way to get slaughtered a few times before triumphantly prevailing :getin:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Froist posted:

Yeah. My heart goes out to those with problems, but mine has been perfect so far. (Suck it, people with problems!! I rule!!)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't have problems since there's nothing to play online or download but the wifi signal strength meter shows weaker than everything else in my house which is impressive for a 2017 tablet

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I got the chance to hold the thing in a games store, and let me just say that whoever designed the kickstand is a dum dum. The thing would tip over at the slightest nudge.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Okay, yeah, the kickstand is really bad. A lot of people here owe CNET an apology!!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Imagine the look of envy on your neighbors face as slight turbulence knocks over the switch

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In my experience, the kickstand does the job :shrug:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm really glad after all the reviews I read saying the joycon grip was bad that it fits perfectly in my hands and I I also don't have the desync issue

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I was also worried I'd hate the joycon grip, but I don't. I didn't even need to adjust to it, it was just fine.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

In my experience, the kickstand does the job :shrug:

IS IT THOUGH?!

http://i.imgur.com/q7jma8G.mp4

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Zelda is going to have to last us a long rear end time. Instead of binging on the game at home for a week straight then sitting there with my dick in my hand, i'm only using the switch for its intended purpose, using it when I need a handheld, or taking the whole thing with me when I stay in hotel rooms or at a friends or family members home.

But Zelda has been running fine for me, and no problems with the console, and I got the 2 year extended warranty which is a good idea for any new console.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

and I got the 2 year extended warranty which is a good idea for any new console.

People fall for that poo poo, still?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Nintendo still offering a year or has theirs become the standard 90 days?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

People fall for that poo poo, still?

What's bad about extended warranties? I got one on my 40-something-inch TV and it's really good, basically if I scratch it or it smashes or falls over, they'll give me a replacement model, no questions asked. I hammered them at the store saying "if a drunk friend knocked into it, it'd be covered?" and they said yeah.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

deadwing posted:

hdmi cec is a shitshow, this is probably more your tv's fault than Nintendo's

I dunno. I have 4 other CEC devices plugged into the TV that work near perfectly. Turn them on, it switches to that device. Turn device off, it switches back to TV. Only one device doesn't switch back to the TV. The Switch is the only one that consistently hijacks. Also, there are a ton of people having this issue.

I loving love the Switch. It's awesome. Zelda is awesome. I am 100% thrilled I made this purchase. But there is clearly an issue with the CEC handling on this device. It's happening to way too many people to blame the TV, when most (not all) gamers probably have other poo poo already hooked up to the TV working fine.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My cec works perfectly so idk man

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know if this is in stock anywhere?

I can't even find it on Wal-Mart's website. Amazon says it wont be delivered for one to two months...

I saw some at TRU yesterday

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I've also been fortunate not to run into any of the common launch issues.

ethanol posted:

I don't have problems since there's nothing to play online or download but the wifi signal strength meter shows weaker than everything else in my house which is impressive for a 2017 tablet
I had to restart the download for Fast RMX like 5 times, but I put that down to launch day issues at the time. At least it's not as bad as my Surface pro 3 that looses connection if it's at a 90 degree angle from the router.

Also in regard to the discussion up thread about removing the shoulder button rails from the joycons here's Nintendo's support page on the matter. Short version: unlock the white tab, don't bother with the undocking button.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Standing in line at ToysRUs. They have a sign out front saying 15 Neon and 20 Grey, one per customer.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Standing in line at ToysRUs. They have a sign out front saying 15 Neon and 20 Grey, one per customer.

How long have you/ do you need to wait

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The target I went to this morning got 6 switches today. I'd check your local targets if you're still looking.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ethanol posted:

How long have you/ do you need to wait

Opens in one hour. I'm #3 in line, so I'm golden.

Then I have to wait another hour fur best buy next door to open so I can return my defective preorder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Opens in one hour. I'm #3 in line, so I'm golden.

When I waited at Best Buy on launch day, they came out and handed out tickets at 9:00 am for the 10 am opening and said we could come back anytime before noon. Only needed to wait about 30 min. They were out of tickets by the time I came back to pick it up. Was nice of that guy since it was cold as gently caress. I left and went to get a coffee

Edit: they had 60 switches

• Locked thread