Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uCN4IUEq0U

Eurogamer are having an Asseto Corsa championship.

I need to build a PC to race pretend cars with :(

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-04-eurogamer-assetto-corsa-championship-explained

As teased in yesterday's trailer, today we fully unveil a special streaming event we'll be running on Eurogamer in the coming months. It's a racing championship put together by our friends at Eurogamer Italy, who often run competitive events on their Twitch channel - this time, they decided to go big, and asked our help to promote it, which we gladly agreed to. Here's the event organiser, Matteo, to explain:

As you may have guessed from yesterday's trailer, the Eurogamer Assetto Corsa Championship will be a live event played on the Kunos simulator, and broadcast with English commentary on Eurogamer Italy's Twitch channel. This will be no ordinary event: it has taken six months to prepare it, and to put together a line-up of sponsors and teams. We partnered with SimracingZone.net, a portal that has managed sim-racing events since 2007, and it's thanks to their expertise that we've been able to produce a sim-racing event like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

GhostDog posted:

Alright, let's get this going again:

The time slot (for future races) is up for debate depending on when we can get the most people in.
Also, if you have a non-goon buddy who can keep a car on track (most of the time) they're welcome.

Tonight at around 20:00 GMT impromptu test session with either FTrucks or Caterhams.

Multi-class! :dance:

I'm down for the practice session, but can't make the race.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Perfect.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I just picked up AMS and will be around this week

Next week, I am otherwise occupied.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I'm up for AMS in general but not this week, clashes with the iRacing Gooncar double header :(

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Did I schedule wrong? It's supposed to be an hour before that. Unless you mean that's too much racing for one day.

Edit: Yeah, I'm an idiot, I forgot iRacing shows my local time, not GMT.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
:siren: Schedule change, ONE HOUR EARLIER

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

yeah, dropping out, sore all over from doing prep work for PAX

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I completely missed it, but apparently Thomas Jackermeier let it slip last month that Fanatec is working on a DD wheel. Not that I'm gonna switch anytime soon, but assuming I could just mount it right on my current CSL seat and keep using my rims that makes it already way more interesting to me than the other solutions on the market. Such is the way of buying into an eco-system.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They just released (or are shortly releasing) the CSW v2.5. As nice as it is that Fanatec stuff all works together, I think I'm done with them. My shifter fell victim to their terrible electronics design. Ohsh is having issues with his wheel. My last Fanatec wheel died shortly before I got my clubsport v2. I currently have a SHH shifter which is decent enough but feels kind of chintzy. Though it is industrial 3D printed plastic, so that might have something to do with it. It still works fine and I might just adjust the tension a bit. I'm also gonna try to make my own controller for my broken Fanatec shifter with an arduino.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Found a good replacement:
http://i.imgur.com/jY7qvXy.gifv

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cojawfee posted:

They just released (or are shortly releasing) the CSW v2.5. As nice as it is that Fanatec stuff all works together, I think I'm done with them. My shifter fell victim to their terrible electronics design. Ohsh is having issues with his wheel. My last Fanatec wheel died shortly before I got my clubsport v2. I currently have a SHH shifter which is decent enough but feels kind of chintzy. Though it is industrial 3D printed plastic, so that might have something to do with it. It still works fine and I might just adjust the tension a bit. I'm also gonna try to make my own controller for my broken Fanatec shifter with an arduino.

I've had to replace the brake sensor twice on my clubsport v3s...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've heard enough people have issues with Fanatec pedals to never have any interest in them, that's before the ridiculous European price gouging.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, my experience with Fanatec has been pretty bad too. My wheel and shifter have both needed repair (the shifter twice), and their support is atrocious.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eyud posted:

Yeah, my experience with Fanatec has been pretty bad too. My wheel and shifter have both needed repair (the shifter twice), and their support is atrocious.

Guess I dodged a bullet by not buying Fanatec stuff. T300 works just fine for me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's awesome when it works

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you have stuff that works, Fanatec is great. You can get a whole package that works together. Then something breaks.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Automobilista

Sunday 03/12
some bullshit or other, we'll see
Qualifying: 19:30 GMT/UTC
Race Start: 20:00 GMT/UTC

Race Length: 20-30 mins
Server Info: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812316

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
No AMS tomorrow because of BES.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Sebastian Vettel Knows how real men race
http://www.apexoff.com/2017/03/18/sebastian-vettel-wear-socks-f1-races-season/

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/AC_assettocorsa/status/844559117893189633

Two good and cool cars

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Assetto Corsa now has a pit menu. One you can bring up anytime and use with the dpad/stick on your wheel.

Someone hold me, the world is ending.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They also added reverse grids to multiplayer and seem to be close to making driver swaps work.

I'm scared, if they add a day/night cycle and timed races AC might actually be a half-decent endurance racing game.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Oh, they got the Vive support in this patch. Nice for you guys using revive.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

They also added reverse grids to multiplayer and seem to be close to making driver swaps work.

I'm scared, if they add a day/night cycle and timed races AC might actually be a half-decent endurance racing game.

I quite like the LMP1s. Need night racing very much.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

All these additions are great but, like, can I bind my analogue stick to look left and right yet?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I've been playing daily dirt rally races almost every day since that game was in early access. Its my most played game on steam, and apparently my gateway drug. I picked up assetto corsa and the dlc during last weekend's sale and I'm in love. I've been playing it every chance I get. Its amazingly fun. I'm kind of surprised it doesn't have it's own thread.

I'm insanely jealous of all you wheel-havers. I have dreams of one day turning a large closet into my fake car cave with VR headset and sparko seat and fancy wheel. In the meantime I'm stuck with a steam controller, TV and couch. I've been using the gyro feature of my steam controller as my wheel. It took some getting used to but I'm advancing through the career challenges now pretty confidently and having a great time. I don't really use it like a wheel, I just sort of tilt it and use the in-game wheel as my guide. Its far superior to the stick once you get used to it, and you can play your racing sim while slouched on the couch.

I liked this driving style so much I even converted my dirt rally controls to the same config. (I usually finish daily races in the 300th place range so I'm not god-awful) I might have to try raceroom again with this gyro steering setup. Just wanted to share my experience with anyone else out there who's interested in sim racing but un-willing to shell out the dough for the cool hardware. I found a cheap way to play and I've been enjoying it so much I've only really been playing dirt and AC. Other good stuff I've been meaning to play like DO4M has been taking a back seat to my precious fake cars.

V Cool. I'll try join you guys on discord just to listen to car talk. :)

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 26, 2017

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Feminasty Slut posted:

I'm kind of surprised it doesn't have it's own thread.

Only iRacing can keep a thread alive by itself. This one pretty much died despite being a catchall for all other sims. Everyone's on Discord now.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Feminasty Slut posted:

I've been playing daily dirt rally races almost every day since that game was in early access. Its my most played game on steam, and apparently my gateway drug. I picked up assetto corsa and the dlc during last weekend's sale and I'm in love. I've been playing it every chance I get. Its amazingly fun. I'm kind of surprised it doesn't have it's own thread.

I'm insanely jealous of all you wheel-havers. I have dreams of one day turning a large closet into my fake car cave with VR headset and sparko seat and fancy wheel. In the meantime I'm stuck with a steam controller, TV and couch. I've been using the gyro feature of my steam controller as my wheel. It took some getting used to but I'm advancing through the career challenges now pretty confidently and having a great time. I don't really use it like a wheel, I just sort of tilt it and use the in-game wheel as my guide. Its far superior to the stick once you get used to it, and you can play your racing sim while slouched on the couch.

I liked this driving style so much I even converted my dirt rally controls to the same config. (I usually finish daily races in the 300th place range so I'm not god-awful) I might have to try raceroom again with this gyro steering setup. Just wanted to share my experience with anyone else out there who's interested in sim racing but un-willing to shell out the dough for the cool hardware. I found a cheap way to play and I've been enjoying it so much I've only really been playing dirt and AC. Other good stuff I've been meaning to play like DO4M has been taking a back seat to my precious fake cars.

V Cool. I'll try join you guys on discord just to listen to car talk. :)

I have a cheap wheel (T150) but even that's a game changer. I didn't realize how much the force feedback changes the way I play. The small things (pull to center when rounding a corner and such) that really made it for me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I love my thrustmaster wheel, I haven't had time to racecar I awhile but it was way better than the lovely gear clunk of the Logitech.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

day/night cycle

This can't happen for AC because the engine only supports one light source. Might be in the cards for AC2 though?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Hockenheim just hit the Automobilista beta - I'll have to give that a whirl this week

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Are there any street cars in automobilista or is it all race cars?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

It's mostly race cars, but they also have spec cars like Caterham (kinda road cars) Lancer, Camaro, Boxer, and there are mods available as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The street Camaro, street versions of the Caterhams and Ultima GTR are there but yeah the focus is 99% race cars. I'm happy to see Hockenheim coming since it's not in enough games, but i wish i was surprised to hear that the 2017 F1 car isnt making the end of April date. I can't think of any estimated release date that Reiza have managed to hit. Not that they're alone in that (hi big rF2 update that's now 3 months behind schedule) but it is depressingly predictable at this point.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I was thinking about getting a wheel but literal mountains of complaints and negative reviews about Thrustmaster wheels and T300 especially really have put me off for now... I guess if I do end up buying it I'm going to get one from local shop - even if it's much more expensive I can at least replace/return it more easily.

Or is it mostly overblown and Thrustmaster has fixed whatever issues at this point?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I had a TX that a beat the gently caress out of. I liked it. I still use my TM shifter.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have a t300 that was used heavily for about 12 months and is still occasionally used. What are the complaints because I have none.

The pedals are lame and should be upgraded when you can, and I wish it had more buttons, but those aren't major issues or anything.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
It's really hard to judge reliability based on the internet. For the longest time it was Fanatec getting all the complaints, now Thrustmaster seems to be getting up there as well. I suspect it's got a lot to do with them getting into the higher end market and thus in a space where expectations are (rightfully) higher as well. Not that there aren't real issues with design and manufacture, mind.

Anyway, if you want to play these games you should get a wheel. Most people advice to start cheap, but given that resell value is really high for sim racing hardware I don't know why you shouldn't treat yourself if you have the means.

Edit:
Which reminds me: Keep all the boxes and stuff for a while. It makes a ton of difference if your ebay auction has everything neatly arranged in the pictures.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

tater_salad posted:

I have a t300 that was used heavily for about 12 months and is still occasionally used. What are the complaints because I have none.

The pedals are lame and should be upgraded when you can, and I wish it had more buttons, but those aren't major issues or anything.

Oh no, everyone seems to recommend T300 as great wheel, it's just there seemed to be unreasonable amount of units that stop working and then replacement drops dead etc. When I googled for reviews and opinions on wheels this seemed to crop up in about every thread...