Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
lol Russia is teabagging Georgia in that map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Travel advisories, according to the Dutch government.

Surprised by North Korea on this map.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Surprised by North Korea on this map.

There are mild safety concerns. Dumb-asses have been detained there for doing incredibly dumb stuff but, of course, most of them were American.

e: I mean stuff that wouldn't get you into much trouble anywhere else.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

It's also ridiculously hard to even get in, isn't it? Once you're there, they won't really harass you because the best thing the North Korean government could have is people returning back home and saying "You know, it's not really that bad."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah north korea is pretty safe in that you're constantly watched and you can't go anywhere dangerous unless you purposely do a dumbass thing which, being honest, you could do anywhere

like nobody's going to randomly run up and kidnap you in north korea, if something bad happens to you then you probably did something dumb

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
I meant, do they even let tourists from the Netherlands in unless they are journalists who will be attending their once-a-year propaganda concert?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CellBlock posted:

It's also ridiculously hard to even get in, isn't it? Once you're there, they won't really harass you because the best thing the North Korean government could have is people returning back home and saying "You know, it's not really that bad."

I don't really know how hard it would be to get a visa for a Dutch person. Since I'm not a journalist or soldier and I'm not religious or political I could probably get a visa fairly easily for a group trip*; I'd imagine there's just a lot of paperwork and possibly a waiting period when they run your data through one or more intelligence services. If you're American or South Korean you can forget about it of course, unless you have some sort of connections or get an invite.

*) 3000€ for a 10-day trip, full up-keep.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

As far as I understand, it's relatively easy to go to North Korea for any European citizen. For Americans, not so much. You 'simply' have to book a trip through a specific travel organisation, then travel to Beijing, hand in your passport and a few hundred euros at the DPRK embassy, and you're put on a plane or train to Pyongyang where you get a weeklong tour where they do make sure you only see and take pictures of things they like you to see and they make you put flowers in front of a statue of their leader. Afterwards you're returned to Beijing and you'll get your passport back.

Also, there's a few places in the world that have official North Korean restaurants, I heard there's one in Amsterdam. If you go there you get the full North Korean culture and food (for rich North Koreans) package including a traditional North Korean dance show. But supposedly, those restaurants are all run by a sort of mafia that's officially sanctioned by the North Korean state to launder western money and transfer it to the DPRK government.

By the way, this reminds me of the craziest travelogue on the entire internet.

A couple of Austrian dudes found a way to trick the Russian and DPRK authorities into letting them on a non-tourist train that went from Russian to Pyongyang, and they managed to be in DPRK as foreigners without guards for a few hours. Somehow they managed to not get arrested and/or killed.

http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 3, 2017

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

As far as I understand, it's relatively easy to go to North Korea for any European citizen. For Americans, not so much. You 'simply' have to book a trip through a specific travel organisation, then travel to Beijing, hand in your passport and a few hundred euros at the DPRK embassy, and you're put on a plane or train to Pyongyang where you get a weeklong tour where they do make sure you only see and take pictures of things they like you to see and they make you put flowers in front of a statue of their leader. Afterwards you're returned to Beijing and you'll get your passport back.

Also, there's a few places in the world that have official North Korean restaurants, I heard there's one in Amsterdam. If you go there you get the full North Korean culture and food (for rich North Koreans) package including a traditional North Korean dance show. But supposedly, those restaurants are all run by a sort of mafia that's officially sanctioned by the North Korean state to launder western money and transfer it to the DPRK government.

By the way, this reminds me of the craziest travelogue on the entire internet.

A couple of Austrian dudes found a way to trick the Russian and DPRK authorities into letting them on a non-tourist train that went from Russian to Pyongyang, and they managed to be in DPRK as foreigners without guards for a few hours. Somehow they managed to not get arrested and/or killed.

http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com

They showed up to their tour spot at the allotted time, no one knowing about how they got in.

Anyone that saw them coming in from Russia just assumed they had some official authority to be there. How else would they get in? Or are you doubting Glorious Leader's security forces????

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A friend of mine went to Mao's China as the first Yugoslav journalist allowed into the country. Since the Chinese couldn't grasp the concept of a private citizen traveling at the time, he was declared "The delegation of the workers and peasants of Yugoslavia" and handled accordingly, including being given flowers by young pioneers when disembarking from trains. He loved every minute of it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Safety concerns for all of Argentina?

There are also plenty of parts of Kazakhstan I wouldn't be too keen on traveling through.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Entirety of South America: Safety Concerns

All parts of USA: Perfectly safe

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Several of Colombia’s cities and the entirely of Uruguay: not part of South America

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I mean if you look at the US Gov travel advisory website it says about every single European country that it's unsafe because there's a chance of getting pickpocketed.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean if you look at the US Gov travel advisory website it says about every single European country that it's unsafe because there's a chance of getting pickpocketed.

It's not like that isn't true though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Private Speech posted:

It's not like that isn't true though.

Yeah, I'm just glad there's no thieves anywhere in the US of A.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Of course not. Duh.

Though it probably sucks more to have your things stolen on a different continent.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Travel advisories, according to the Dutch government.

So why's Morocco Africa's only green country? I can't imagine it's that much safer than, say, Namibia or Botswana... Are they maybe including disease concerns as well as personal safety?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I think prevalence of stroopwaffels is also a concern

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Angry Salami posted:

So why's Morocco Africa's only green country? I can't imagine it's that much safer than, say, Namibia or Botswana... Are they maybe including disease concerns as well as personal safety?

We don't want to piss off the Moroccan government.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Carbon dioxide posted:

America is incredibly safe. The only thieves in the whole country congregate on Wall Street.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

We don't want to piss off the Moroccan government.

Wouldn't showing Western Sahara as a separate territory already piss them off enough?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kopijeger posted:

Wouldn't showing Western Sahara as a separate territory already piss them off enough?

The government didn’t make the map. They just published per‐country recommendations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

You can just schedule a trip to go to DPRK as an American, they don't give a poo poo as long as you don't break any rules. Break the rules and you'll probably end up in a labor camp, but that goes for any westerner.

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

Bir Tawil: so dangerous that no country is willing to claim it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Actias posted:

Bir Tawil: so dangerous that no country is willing to claim it.

I'd imagine the reason it's a no-travel zone is because if you do happen to get robbed or lose your passport there, the Dutch government couldn't do much to help you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why isn’t there a travel advisory about Yellowstone’s zone of death?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

South Koreans are the only nationality that can't freely travel to NK. Americans can go without any kind of restriction. You have to book a tour and it's absurdly expensive because they want to drain every bit of real money out of foreign visitors possible, but there's nothing stopping you. And as long as you don't do something loving stupid it's quite safe.

When relations were better there were a couple of border zones where South Koreans could visit North Korea for day trips. The only SK citizens allowed to go right now are the guys who run the Hyundai factories in Kaesong (unless those are shut down right now, they're a popular political football and keeping up is tough) and government types on official business.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 4, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Flipperwaldt posted:

What's up with the do not travel rivers in Peru?
Candiru.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Grand Fromage posted:

South Koreans are the only nationality that can't freely travel to NK. Americans can go without any kind of restriction. You have to book a tour and it's absurdly expensive because they want to drain every bit of real money out of foreign visitors possible, but there's nothing stopping you. And as long as you don't do something loving stupid it's quite safe.

Mind you, the US government does point out that there's not a lot they can do if you do get into trouble and that in fact your starting position has to be talking to the Swedish embassy: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/north-korea-travel-warning.html

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ulmont posted:

Mind you, the US government does point out that there's not a lot they can do if you do get into trouble and that in fact your starting position has to be talking to the Swedish embassy: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/north-korea-travel-warning.html

That's true, and they have occasionally just decided to go Full North Korea and detain people for no reason but a lot of those cases have turned out that the "no reason" actually was "dude was leaving Bibles everywhere" or "dude ripped up passport and demanded asylum" or whatever.

You're not going to get mugged though.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is there any fun repository of whacky-proposal maps, like "here's how Africa *should* have been divided up" or "what if we wanted every country to have equal population while being as homogeneous as possible" or whatnot?

I'm particularly interested in the idea of how Africa could be better divided, since there's a bunch of silly borders based on wherever Country X had an ivory-trading port centuries ago so you get all kinds of weird unions and divisions. Not that many of them are likely to change, but nobody's probably creating Cascadia anytime soon either.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I took a photo of this terrible map of the EU from passport control in Manchester before brexit makes them take it down.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I took a photo of this terrible map of the EU from passport control in Manchester before brexit makes them take it down.

At least ten passengers from western Russia are still standing there to this day, lost and confused and with no idea which direction they are mandated to move in

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Angepain posted:

At least ten passengers from western Russia are still standing there to this day, lost and confused and with no idea which direction they are mandated to move in

Turks from Istanbul mocked their compatriots from the other side of the Bosporus as they head for the fast lane.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Novaya Zemlya 29th member. Also, glad to see all the Serbia/Kosovo problems resolved now they're in the Union.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Members of the EU: Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, plus everything mentioned so far

Non members: French Guiana

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flight routes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The Canary Islands show how edge weight might be useful.