Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

People have looked at NES virtual console files and have found they have iNES headers. An iNES header is something that was created by the guy who made the first NES emulator to handle how to read NES ROMs as NES carts all have different methods of running the game. Some have multiple ROMs, some have custom chips. The iNES header would tell the emulator how to run it. That this is found in official ROMs sold by Nintendo means they (or someone they contracted) downloaded ROM dumps from the internet (or at the very least, did their own ROM dumps and used a format that they claim supports piracy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

We've gone from JIVCON 3 to JIVCON 4. Turn back before it's too late!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nickoten posted:

Oh, something I forgot to mention that I love: it's super easy to import on this console! From what I've heard, this is how the Xbox One works, too?

I'm very glad that Nintendo finally caught up to the rest of the other brands and made region free software. Sony's been doing it for like 12 years now, and Xbox got on board with the Xbox One, and Switch finally got on board with the concept and even made the eShop stores incredibly easy to access. Being able to jump to the Japanese eShop in about 2 A-button presses is phenomenally quick compared to signing out of my PSN account and logging in with the Japanese one then accessing the store, which takes a minute or two.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

jivjov posted:

Cool, Microsoft offers a bonus feature. That doesn't make it required. Or make not offering it anti-consumer.

Wow.

In other news. I made a Japanese account and downloaded the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo. It's pretty cool. The google translate of what the buttons mean is hilarious. One of them set "soft and flabby" which I assume was an easy difficulty.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Policenaut posted:

I'm very glad that Nintendo finally caught up to the rest of the other brands and made region free software. Sony's been doing it for like 12 years now, and Xbox got on board with the Xbox One, and Switch finally got on board with the concept and even made the eShop stores incredibly easy to access. Being able to jump to the Japanese eShop in about 2 A-button presses is phenomenally quick compared to signing out of my PSN account and logging in with the Japanese one then accessing the store, which takes a minute or two.

Hey Nintendo had region-free handhelds until the 3DS happened. They're just going back to form.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Policenaut posted:

It's even easier than on my PS4 besides in terms of quickness, since I get both regions of a game for the same price! I actually bought two copies of Dark Souls 3. =/

Cojawfee posted:

Wow.

In other news. I made a Japanese account and downloaded the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo. It's pretty cool. The google translate of what the buttons mean is hilarious. One of them set "soft and flabby" which I assume was an easy difficulty.

That's probably the official translation, because Puyo Puyo traditionally uses some silly words for difficulty levels (I think they compare it to spiciness of curry?).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Hey Nintendo had region-free handhelds until the 3DS happened. They're just going back to form.

I vaguely remembered that but Nintendo says the Switch is a console first so I fell back on my knowledge of Nintendo consoles. If only the 3DS was region free without hacking...

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

It's definitely a first for their home consoles. The closest was just having to remove a couple tabs on the SNES.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Cartoon Man posted:

Did you know that digital purchases on 3DS and Wii U are tied to your NNID and not your console?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I mean, we can bitch about VC all day, but let's not pretend that Sony is not only guilty of similar acts with their classics but also walls entire games within consoles (cannot play port of SMT Nocturne for PS3 on the PS4) and gets next to no backlash for it in the way that Nintendo does.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I wonder if Nintendo is having the team that did ports and ROMs for the NES classic do the VC for older games this time around since those are really nicely done

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Takoluka posted:

I mean, we can bitch about VC all day, but let's not pretend that Sony is not only guilty of similar acts with their classics but also walls entire games within consoles (cannot play port of SMT Nocturne for PS3 on the PS4) and gets next to no backlash for it in the way that Nintendo does.

Can confirm, also if you want, e.g. the Resident Evil remake on both your PS3 and PS4 you gotta buy it twice.

I only know this because I accidentally bought the PS3 version, so I bought the PS4 version (it was on sale) and got a refund on the PS3 version. They processed the refund for the PS4 version instead, and now I'm stuck with a PS3 version I can't bring to the PS4. :(

Also support told me to go gently caress myself.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Is there anywhere I can get a longer AC adapter? The one that came with the system is a bit short. It's obviously working fine for now, but I'd like to place my dock in a different location if possible... without starting it on fire with a lovely adapter.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The unfortunate reality is that Nintendo can package and sell their ROMs however they want and if you bought something on an older console they don't have to offer you a free copy or even a discount should they re-release it on switch. Sony's Crossbuy feature is a cool and good thing, but is the exception rather than the rule and even on Sony systems not every multi platform title supports it because if people will pay for something twice why wouldn't you sell them separately?

For those who already own the games Nintendo's VC only offers you the convenience of being able to play them on newer hardware, if that cost is too high then either run the game on the old hardware or emulate it yourself.

Nintendo haven't spoken much about the the Switch VC (other than online enabled Snes games ????) so there's not much to realy say until they provide more details. The ideal would be that they launch with a large library of titles with crossbuy but I'm sure we'll get the usual drip-feed coupled with a 'switch upgrade' charge for titles you already own on WiiU. Would not be surprised at all if you'd need to upgrade a title you own on Wii to WiiU before you can buy it at a discount for Switch

Rabid Snake posted:

Man this is like OLED level of burn in.
Apparently it's ' transient image permanence' rather than full on screen burn and will fade with normal use. LCD screens don't usually get permanent screen burn anymore.

wikipedia posted:

Plasma displays were at one time highly susceptible to burn-in, while LCD-type displays are generally not affected.[citation needed] The wide variation in luminance degradation with RGB-based OLED [1] will cause noticeable color drift on over time (where one of the red-green-blue colors becomes more prominent).

In the case of LCDs, the mechanics of burn-in are different than plasma and OLED, which develop burn-in from luminance degradation of the light-emitting pixels. For LCDs, burn-in develops in some cases because pixels permanently lose their ability to return to their relaxed state after a continued static usage profile. In most typical usage profiles, this image persistence in LCD is only transient.

Both plasma-type and LCD-type displays exhibit a similar phenomenon called transient image persistence, which is sometimes confused with screen burn but is not permanent. In the case of plasma-type displays, transient image persistence is caused by charge build-up in the pixel cells (not cumulative luminance degradation as with burn-in), which can be seen sometimes when a bright image that was set against a dark background is replaced by a dark background only; this image retention is usually released once a typical-brightness image is displayed and does not inhibit the display's typical viewing image quality.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Takoluka posted:

A lot of people complained about it when it first came out that the PS4-PS2 Classics weren't Cross-Buy with the original PS3-PS2 versions but then Sony just outright said their reasoning for it (1080p upscaling, some games got frame rate improvements, trophy support, PSN support, also some regions got some of those games for the first time ever on PS4) and then people just kind of stopped complaining.

Nickoten posted:

Can confirm, also if you want, e.g. the Resident Evil remake on both your PS3 and PS4 you gotta buy it twice.

I only know this because I accidentally bought the PS3 version, so I bought the PS4 version (it was on sale) and got a refund on the PS3 version. They processed the refund for the PS4 version instead, and now I'm stuck with a PS3 version I can't bring to the PS4. :(

That's Capcom's call though, not Sony. Like they're the ones who decided REmake wasn't Cross-Buy.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

We don't have VC yet cause this thing was kinda rushed out the door and the programing for VC isn't ready yet. Doesn't matter if the other systems have it they don't have the same hardware. So we will have to wait until they start talking, but it sounds like this time we're gonna get more than a trickle of games as I think they finally contracted that work out.

Also don't talk to jivjov you idiots lol.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Policenaut posted:

A lot of people complained about it when it first came out that the PS4-PS2 Classics weren't Cross-Buy with the original PS3-PS2 versions but then Sony just outright said their reasoning for it (1080p upscaling, some games got frame rate improvements, trophy support, PSN support, also some regions got some of those games for the first time ever on PS4) and then people just kind of stopped complaining.

That's Capcom's call though, not Sony. Like they're the ones who decided REmake wasn't Cross-Buy.

That's fair.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Imagine the sales numbers if they packed in a NES/SNES Emulator with the console and just crammed a few hundred roms on there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

LethalGeek posted:

Also don't talk to jivjov you idiots lol.

Awww...but I like talking to my goon friends

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Oh I took the Switch to a friends bday party cause she wanted to see it. When I told everyone that people online were bitching Zelda looked kinda eh cause it was a little slow and had lower res textures they looked at me like I was stupid.

Because people bitching about these things are stupid turbo nerds. Ps these were pc master race people.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

jivjov posted:

Awww...but I like talking to my goon friends

Never stop jivjoving, forums friend

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

You triggered me intensely with this post - if you meant to indicate that his arguments were getting worse, you'd move from JIVCON 3 to JIVCON 2. JIVCON 4 would be an improvement.

Thank you, and God bless.

Also, my favorite feature of the switch is that when I wake it up from sleep, it powers on my TV, too. Also it takes like maybe 15 seconds?

So good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

Also, my favorite feature of the switch is that when I wake it up from sleep, it powers on my TV, too. Also it takes like maybe 15 seconds?

So good.

This is cool but it doesn't turn on my soundbar so I still have to turn that on.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
I managed to snag a switch on Nintendo UK last night, and now I've got the post-order twitch to constantly check the shipping status. It says next day delivery but the estimated dispatch date is the 7th.

I'd really like it to be more accurate so that I can plan my sick day accordingly :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Linx posted:

I managed to snag a switch on Nintendo UK last night, and now I've got the post-order twitch to constantly check the shipping status. It says next day delivery but the estimated dispatch date is the 7th.

I'd really like it to be more accurate so that I can plan my sick day accordingly :v:

They probably won't ship until Monday and it will get there the next day.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

things i like about the switch:
the screen is nice
the console itself feels good to hold
the ui is simplistic and quick
it's small
being able to jump from tv to console is seamless. this idea interested me in the wii u initially until i learned it wasn't fully compatible like the switch.
the removal of region locking!!

things i don't like:
the joycons are a little small. when using the right one and hitting buttons my finger routinely brushes against the analog stick. and trying to do things like run + pan the camera in zelda can be awkward. using it in handheld mode it doesn't really mess me up though, but the grip / just holding a joycon in each hand didn't work so well.

the dock being able to scratch the console.

not being able to put some skins on it to prevent the above.

lack of some software stuff on the os, no video recording it seems, no streaming from console though that may not change.

basically the things i don't like are all easily fixed or will be in the Nintendo New Switch so i'm happy about this.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
arent we suppose to be getting online enabled nes/snes or something in the summer? super mario bros leaderboards and poo poo. i'd like some n64 version of that tho but lol we aint getting goldeneye or perfect dark, so eh. sounds like we'd just get mario kart snes online or something.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
lmao at people interactig with Jivjov for the first time.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Louisgod posted:

lmao at people interactig with Jivjov for the first time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Just installed the Goon reccomended glass shield:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N3ASPNV/

Seriously, this should be a mandatory purchase for all Switch owners. No longer worried about dock scratching.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Placing the Nintendo Switch into its dock is a game in and of itself, screen protectors are like using a cheat code.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The wifi in the switch is indeed poo poo. It has a weaker signal then any other device I own. It's not a huge issue but it is weird.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Getting worried that my Switch might be defective. I've been playing Zelda nonstop since launch, and 3 or 4 times during a loading screen, I get jagged horizontal lines appear over where the tips are. They last for a second or two before disappearing and there are no ill effects after that. I dunno what causes it, but all I know is the first time it happened, it happened just after I'd tried accessing the inventory screen a split second before I fast travelled (like just before I turned into blue mist). I haven't played the game undocked yet but I'll give that a go for a while to see if undocked has any serious issues.

I wanna try and find out if it's defective earlier rather than later, cause I've got a refund window where I can take it back no questions asked.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I only have one question as I sit on the toilet gravely letting poop fly out of my butt. When the gently caress does Mario golf drop?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Looks like a lot of people on ebay are hoping to make a cool $100-200 on their midnight purchase. Get a job you dorknobbers. I'll wait you out, it isn't like they're going to stop making these things.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Just installed the Goon reccomended glass shield:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N3ASPNV/

Seriously, this should be a mandatory purchase for all Switch owners. No longer worried about dock scratching.

I appreciate this link. This is crucial.

Also, what's the recommended, must have travel case for this thing? If somebody could provide an Amazon link, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm making my Wishlist so I know what's the best for when I get this thing.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Also, what's the recommended, must have travel case for this thing? If somebody could provide an Amazon link, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm making my Wishlist so I know what's the best for when I get this thing.

I've been using this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M...Srch&th=1&psc=1

However the GameStop I went to only had the Link version in stock. I'd much prefer to have the plain one with the little Switch logo in the middle

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I'm getting the Hori case from amazon today. Not sure if it's any good but we will see when it gets delivered.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

BotW special edition case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I only have one question as I sit on the toilet gravely letting poop fly out of my butt. When the gently caress does Mario golf drop?

Depends on when you swallowed the cart.

• Locked thread