Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Nidoking posted:

I happen to think the game gets much more difficult at this point, but she makes pretty quick work of these puzzles. The rest of this series may not take as long as I was expecting.
I hate to say it, but Leave was kinda bad at puzzles. :v: Although you were also being a bit less pointlessly cruel to The Splash with regards to saving time.

Also apparently the prince is a "prisonner", not a prisoner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Could it be copy protection?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't think I'd characterize anything I've done as being "pointlessly cruel" - I try to lead as little as possible, but The Splash just has the knack for being vague enough that I mentally fill in the actual solution in place of what she's actually trying to do. As evidence, the following video:

Part 5-2: "So now we can stick our head freely into orifices without fear." Polsy Youtube

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Nidoking posted:

I don't think I'd characterize anything I've done as being "pointlessly cruel"

scuba gear :colbert:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Felinoid posted:

scuba gear :colbert:

I'm sure he's far from the first person to reach that point and then realize that he needs a second set of scuba gear.

Speaking from personal experience, he's at least the second.

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Nidoking posted:

The Splash just has the knack for being vague enough
That's going on my resume.

I'm curious if that optional item will have any effect on the rest of the game, even if it's just cosmetic.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The Splash posted:

I'm curious if that optional item will have any effect on the rest of the game, even if it's just cosmetic.

I skipped it when I did the original LP, just to see whether anything would change. I was surprised that I could even proceed that way, but nothing changed as far as I could tell.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

In the first game, we broke the curse on the king about three-fourths of the way through the game, then had to deal with the evil wizard, so it may not be a surprise that rescuing the Prince is not the end of this game either. Once we have him, we still need to escape the castle and return to town. Fortunately, there's a bit of a shortcut. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of puzzles to solve along the way.

Part 5-3: "C'mon Winkle! I always cheer him on because I expect him to do the worst possible thing." Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Finally I get to see this part. To be honest, I thought the game would be over after you poisoned Amoniak. The prince is kind of a jerk here.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

The prince is kind of a jerk here.

That's better than he'll be for the rest of the game.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I would have assumed the game would be over by now.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Why not just grab the little fucker and drag his dumb spoiled rear end back to the castle?

For that matter though, why didn't they just untie the king and let him take the little poo poo home?

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Playing this in english is driving me nuuuuuuts. I can hear all the little incidental things that are very, very french, including when they do a somersault and shout 'Youpi!', which is, let me assure, pretty drat freaking french.

Obviously, when I was young, I played this in French. This is facinating still! I'm also very glad to see this going on, faster, now. Welcome, The Splash!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cosmic Afro posted:

Playing this in english is driving me nuuuuuuts. I can hear all the little incidental things that are very, very french, including when they do a somersault and shout 'Youpi!', which is, let me assure, pretty drat freaking french.
Name them? As a linguist who knows little about French, I'm very interested.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Speaking of things that are very French and lost in translation, there's one in this video that many players probably don't even know about. I'll get into it when I get there, but I think my meager French skills are working properly this time.

Part 5: Some Kind of Elixir Polsy Youtube

The Splash
May 30, 2011

Cosmic Afro posted:

Seconding Pierzak's request for examples, I'd love to know what kinds of things are standing out to you as Super French.

Nidoking posted:

Part 5: Some Kind of Elixir
I did a triple take at the teaser image. Where did that cockroach come from?!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The Splash posted:

Where did that cockroach come from?!

I didn't know about it for a long time either, since it's not important to beating the game if you have the hint book telling you what to do. I don't think it was until the original LP that I even found it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I firmly believe that chapter 6 of this game is the low point of the series. It brings back reminders of some of the worst mechanics and logical leaps in the series so far, all within a short couple of screens. Before that, though, we need to get the Buffoon down from that beanstalk, which is itself a task and a half. (Pretty literally - this is one of those rare times when the solution requires one character to get an item and the other to use it, when that's considerably less convenient.)

Part 6-1: "I'm getting P.E. flashbacks." Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Fingus never talked to the tree. Maybe he didn't want to match those apples because he technically wasn't allowed to.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Gobliiins is a weird series. I don't think anyone will argue that at this point. But sometimes, it gets even weirder than even its usual. We've seen a few of those moments, and this is another one. I don't think this is even the weirdest part of the series, but I'll let you judge that for yourselves as we progress.

Part 6-2: The Prince Bubblefoon Polsy Youtube

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Name them? As a linguist who knows little about French, I'm very interested.

Whoops, completely forgot about this. Now, I'm French Canadian, not actually from France, but I recognize a few things.

Anyway, some of the jingles Fingus whistles are the first few lines of the French National anthem, for example. The 'Allons! Enfants de la patrie! Le jour de gloire est arrive!' part, in particular. The brief times they say things that aren't actually spoken lines are french.

There's the 'Youpi' they shout when they do a backflip in idle animation, like I mentioned, which I think mostly Fingus does. That is absolutely, disgustingly french, let me assure you. In fact, a lot of the onomatopoeia are how they'd write it in french, then spoken out. Aie, ouie, waf from the dog. That sort of things.

While not unique to french animation by any stretch of the imagination, the animation and slapstick style reminds me a lot of other french cartoons of the time. I guess it's the physical humour that's not quite afraid of going into some humiliating parts. There's also the artful nudity in some parts in background objects, like the water fountain where you need to poke a breast to make water come out. Rather, how they got away with it.

There's something about their VA that also feels, strangely, French, maybe it's how the phrase was constructed and translated from french that gives it a slight twitch in that direction. Sometimes, they feel weird, or familiar, but that could be just how I'm familiar with the french version of the game.

So, it's not really scientific, but there's multiple of little things that adds up in my mind that makes this game Incredibly French.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 24, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

At last, it is time for the other candidate for worst part of the Gobliiins series. (Not counting Gobliiins 4. That game is also a candidate, but since the publisher has removed it from the market, it might be ineligible.) It's a room with repetitive puzzles like Shadwin the Wise's Cannon House, but there is no point at which your progress is saved until the end. Mess up once after about the halfway point, and everything resets to its initial state. The good news is that it's possible to save in this game, assuming you can grasp the difference between progress and having the wrong character do something.

Part 6-3: "I'm gonna turn this into a drinking game." Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
How much longer is that going on? Ever since you got the prince it feels like convoluted buys work.
Goblins 3 is much cooler.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

How much longer is that going on? Ever since you got the prince it feels like convoluted buys work.
Goblins 3 is much cooler.

One more chapter, two more screens. The final session may be shorter than the past couple, or it may be about the same length, because I think the final collection of puzzles are slightly more difficult than what's come before, but most of them are significantly less annoying.

Goblins 3 is easily the best game of the bunch, but there's a mechanic that's going to make it super-annoying to play this way. We'll just have to deal with that as it comes.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It took this long to do the solo video for this part because I had a hard time doing the puzzles the wrong way, even to demonstrate what happens. The childhood trauma of hauling that rock up the ledges and throwing it over and over if I misclicked anything was too strong, even now that I know I can just save and load mid-level (which is what I did in the previous LP as well). I had to try a few times to get a video that captured the process of solving the puzzles, vaguely, while still being relatively interesting. For reference, my first take was about 18 minutes, and I wasn't even rushing, really.

Part 6: Two and a Half Kidnappings Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

While we're moving into the final chapter, we left off at the same spot as I did in the original LP back in 2009. For that final video, I put my VirtualDub skills to the test for the first time with an overdub gag. I've gotten much better at them in the years since, mostly from learning to use Avisynth, but for a first attempt, I think it was pretty good, and certainly worth preserving even if the rest of the LP wasn't. So here it is, directly from the source as close as that still exists, to help bridge the gap until the final set of videos for this game.

Bonus video: The Epic Quest for Water Polsy Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The final chapter of the game begins, and the stakes are higher than ever! We're going to follow the demon kidnapper into hell... or "Deathland", as the game calls it. But first, we need even more magic water.

Part 7-1: "Attack the demon with a projectile Winkle. Can you think of anything scarier than that?" Polsy Youtube

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Was that last video supposed to end so suddenly?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Delvio posted:

Was that last video supposed to end so suddenly?

We don't exactly stop mid-session and say "Okay, we're going to break here and then the next video will start." I watched through the middle of the recording, and this was the most sensible of all the possible stopping points - it picks up almost immediately with a new line of exploration, and we keep referencing the stuff we just said, leaving no good point for the next video to start. The screen transition was way too early to be the break point. So, in short, yes, but it was the least bad place to end it, in my opinion.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I couldn't even remember why the giant room was so annoying but just seeing the screeshot made me antsy.

Sierra ain't got nothing on that

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

I couldn't even remember why the giant room was so annoying but just seeing the screeshot made me antsy.

Sierra ain't got nothing on that

"That" is exactly what they got. They published the game in the U.S.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

At last, it's the end of Gobliins 2! We've still got to rescue the Prince one last time, and then escape from Deathland, but we've got our wits, a mouse, and a very high tolerance for pain.

Part 7-2: "This level's going to be the DEATH of me." Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Okay. That final puzzle was just stupid. There wasn't anything indicating that you'd have to draw a door, or that it would be solidified by the water. Just on the previous screen it's been established that this water has to be boiled to make a portal. Why didn't they simply add a magma vent or something like that?

Anyway. Congrats on rescuing the prince!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 18, 2017

The Splash
May 30, 2011

"Hooray, we're all in the land of the dead!"

[...] Just on the previous screen it's been established that this water has to be boiled to make a portal. Why didn't they simply add a magma vent or something like that?
That would've been a nice touch!
The last puzzle was definitely silly, but maybe its goofiness made it all the more fitting an end to this game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Just one thing to take care of before I get started on the third game. I don't think there are any big surprises in this video, but apparently, they added a couple of lines to the CD version, or there was something wrong with the floppy version I got from GOG and the lines just didn't play. So there's that to look forward to. After this, we'll be moving on to Goblins 3, my favorite game in the series.

Part 7: The Land of Gloom and Doom Polsy Youtube

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks Nidoking (and The Splash), this thread doesn't get much chatter but I'm enjoying the videos and looking forward to the 3rd game.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I am also looking forward to the third game!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sorry about the delays getting this posted - I've been dealing with the strangest health issue yet, which could be anything from "some random neurological disorder" to "I'm not actually diabetic after all and the treatment is destroying me". The longer description is that my vision is blurry at a distance, just like it was when I got the diabetes diagnosis, but there's nothing wrong with my eyes that wasn't wrong before and I aced an eye exam. I took more than a week off work, and while that left me with an abundance of free time, I didn't know what was safe to look at and lost all sense of time. I even managed to lie horizontal during the day without my muscles randomly twitching, which I didn't think would ever happen again.

But before all that started, The Splash and I recorded a session of the third Goblins game, which was released in the U.S. by Sierra under the title "Goblin's Quest 3", converting the plural into a possessive now that there's only one character. But don't worry - we haven't lost any of the innovation that having multiple characters brought to the previous games, and if anything, the charm has been turned way up. This is my favorite game in the series for many reasons, and I think this video will cover a fair few of them. We do lose a bit of storytelling, but the games have always basically been about solving whatever puzzles are there more than working toward any long-term goal, so there's not much to be desired there. I'll be putting the optional story things in the CD version videos, and in this game, I highly recommend that you watch them - the differences between the versions in this game are striking.

Part 1-1: "Even with a coin, there's no change." Polsy Youtube

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yay. My favorite game of the series! Checking a box several times is such a weird solution to a "puzzle".

also, I still really enjoy your LP. The Splash made some fun puns this video.
"Ain't that the tooth?"

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There is a plot in this game, and it's about to smack us in the face, then run away before we can see it. Blount lands in the middle of a hostage situation, but he's got just the tools for handling the situation. Who the hostage is and what connection any of this has to Blount's quest may be more apparent later in the game. I honestly can't tell you.

Part 1-2: "Of all things I expect to be a thing, I expect that thing to still be a thing." Polsy Youtube