Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think you really have to trust your own brain to do a sensory deprivation thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's a dark chamber with skin-temperature water that is salinated enough for you to float without effort. By removing your sense of sight and physical feeling, you're essentially put into a kind of womblike state that's meant to provoke deep reflection. There's no major, well-documented evidence that this does anything for you besides probably destressing you (or provoking a panic attack), but it sounds like a weird, unique experience. The best outcome is you'll have a nice half-sleep and the world will seem extra-vivid afterwards. The worst outcome is you'll suffer an extremely intimate performance of Beckett's Not I:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LDwfKxr-M

So that's where Swans got the cover for Filth

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Every few years I get reacquainted with that performance of Not I. So good.

The thought of remembering all those lines and rattling them off like that without loving up is imposing to say the least.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I want to do a production of Beckett's Happy Days (arguably the best play ever written), with Not I in between the acts in place of an intermission.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Weird question since I just read Altered States: has anyone here tried a sensory deprivation tank before? I just found out there's a place near me that has one and I've been curious about it ever since first watching the movie back in high school, thinking of giving it a go.
Man, I refuse to deprive myself of anything, let alone senses.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Introducing: sensory overload tanks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/838446238919868416

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think if you have experience with meditation and visualization exercises you'll probably get more out of a sensory deprivation tank, otherwise you'll probably just fall asleep.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
KC folks: the April schedule at the Drafthouse is nuuuuts. Two showings of Blade Runner—already got my ticket to one of them—plus 2001, Purple Rain, Sorcerer, The Wizard of Oz, Seven, 1984, Singin' in the Rain, Jurassic Park, Twister, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Shawshank Redemption, and the big prize: a free Victory Rewards showing of Seven Samurai (about which I called them the minute I saw it posted, because you can't yet reserve a spot on the website). I'm gonna see Sorcerer at least, and maybe one or two others depending.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think you really have to trust your own brain to do a sensory deprivation thing

Pretty much yeah.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think you're making sensory deprivation out to be more spooky than it really is.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
[turns to the infinite eternal emptiness that smothers his isolated consciousness and whispers]
"Oh, that? That's nothing."

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I already hear with a cochlear implant so I get 2/3 of the way to sensory deprivation every night when I turn off the lights to sleep.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Criminal Minded posted:

KC folks: the April schedule at the Drafthouse is nuuuuts. Two showings of Blade Runner—already got my ticket to one of them—plus 2001, Purple Rain, Sorcerer, The Wizard of Oz, Seven, 1984, Singin' in the Rain, Jurassic Park, Twister, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Shawshank Redemption, and the big prize: a free Victory Rewards showing of Seven Samurai (about which I called them the minute I saw it posted, because you can't yet reserve a spot on the website). I'm gonna see Sorcerer at least, and maybe one or two others depending.

Purple Rain and Twister are a must.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

K. Waste posted:

And wouldn't you know it, I've never seen either. I have a free ticket voucher from my birthday a couple weeks ago, so I'll use that on one of them. Gonna spend so much time in a theater in April.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'd say Purple Rain, Sorcerer and Wizard of Oz.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'd say Purple Rain, Sorcerer and Wizard of Oz.

Wizard is out if only because I've already seen that one in theaters. Ditto 2001 and Singin' in the Rain.

The one I'm really on the fence about is Seven. Normally it'd be an easy yes but I can only justify going to so many and I've seen that movie a loooot. Same reason I've mentally eliminated Shawshank Redemption.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Criminal Minded posted:

And wouldn't you know it, I've never seen either. I have a free ticket voucher from my birthday a couple weeks ago, so I'll use that on one of them. Gonna spend so much time in a theater in April.

Denver's Alamo isn't that great. Blade Runner is there so is JP but no Twister. :(

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

CelticPredator posted:

Denver's Alamo isn't that great. Blade Runner is there so is JP but no Twister. :(

Every once in a while, before I had my geocaching turned on, I used to accidentally end up on the calendar for one of the Austin locations and get suuuper jealous of some of the poo poo they did.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish I was there for C4GED. gently caress that would've be so special.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Are those 35mm screenings or digital?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Criminal Minded posted:

The one I'm really on the fence about is Seven. Normally it'd be an easy yes but I can only justify going to so many and I've seen that movie a loooot. Same reason I've mentally eliminated Shawshank Redemption.

Se7en is one of the best-shot films of the '90s (I'm half-tempted to say it is the best-shot). See it in a theater.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Criminal Minded posted:

:argh:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

K. Waste posted:

Twister is great on the big screen. It was one of the first movies I remember seeing in a theater (I think Lion King was the first) and it blew 7-8 year old me away.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Timby posted:

Se7en is one of the best-shot films of the '90s (I'm half-tempted to say it is the best-shot). See it in a theater.

Chungking Express would like a word with you.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I'd probably do Purple Rain and Sorcerer. I somehow still haven't seen Purple Rain

On the topic of theater chat, what are some of the best movie theaters in the country? I'm always moving and it legitimately factors into where I go...

Cinefamily in Los Angeles is far and away the best I've ever been to. The number of special events / speakers they have there is insane, despite it being such a small space. I was going nearly once a week when I lived in LA, but probably the best was an all night (free!) screening of Goosebumps episodes... Also I talked to an ex cult member after a screening of Holy Hell. One of the weirdest conversations of my life. I'm actually considering moving back to LA because I miss it so much (LA sucks)

Belcourt in Nashville is pretty good, Roxie in SF has a great selection but its a dump

SpiritOfSanDimas fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 5, 2017

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Chungking Express would like a word with you.

My dude.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I think if you have experience with meditation and visualization exercises you'll probably get more out of a sensory deprivation tank, otherwise you'll probably just fall asleep.

I meditate pretty regularly. Sensory deprivation sounded spooky to me when I first saw Altered States as a teenager but it sounds fun now.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'd like to make a horror film that's just a sequence of unrelated domestic scenes punctuated by extreme violence and terror.

edit: I put on a Simon and Garfunkel playlist for background music and it took me about fifteen minutes of half-listening to Sounds of Silence to realize I'd had song repeat on. It'd be great to see a remake of Dawn of the Dead where an early plot point is them trying to figure out how to shut off the mall's muzak.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 5, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I want to do a production of Beckett's Happy Days (arguably the best play ever written), with Not I in between the acts in place of an intermission.

I prefer Endgame to Happy Days myself. I also caught John Hurt in Krapp's Last Tape a few years ago and that was a loving masterpiece of performance

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Are those 35mm screenings or digital?

Usually digital, but sometimes they're 35mm. Depends on if they get them or not. I bought tickets to a 35mm screening of ANOES, but they couldn't get the print in on time, so they just showed the digital.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I prefer Endgame to Happy Days myself. I also caught John Hurt in Krapp's Last Tape a few years ago and that was a loving masterpiece of performance

Endgame is great too, I just love the conciseness of Happy Days. The Robert Wilson production of Endgame looks loving cool though:

It sucks that his Shakespeare Sonnets production isn't on DVD, I watched a TV rip of it in German and it was amazing. He's like a weirder Roy Andersson.

CelticPredator posted:

Usually digital, but sometimes they're 35mm. Depends on if they get them or not. I bought tickets to a 35mm screening of ANOES, but they couldn't get the print in on time, so they just showed the digital.

I wish 35mm screenings were more common, it's fun seeing a good movie in rep with a big crowd but a digital projection somehow takes something away.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's weird to say but 35mm is distracting to me now despite seeing every film in that format until I was in my late teens. I forgot the flickering.

But I'll still see a film in 35mm though if I can. The Hateful Eight looked drat good, though. It wasn't quite as flickery as Interstellar was.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Endgame is great too, I just love the conciseness of Happy Days. The Robert Wilson production of Endgame looks loving cool though:

That does look cool as hell, although I like it with all the post-apocalyptic grimeyness. When I saw it there was heaps of dirt all over the stage

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

ANOES?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, that doesn't really look like Endgame to me.

I really wish there was a video recording of McKellan and Stewart's Waiting for Godot.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I meditate pretty regularly. Sensory deprivation sounded spooky to me when I first saw Altered States as a teenager but it sounds fun now.

Same here. I found a local place and im just waiting to get some extra cash together to go do it. Make sure you report back on your experience!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Thanks, that was going to bug me all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sorry about that. I've been using ANOES for a long, long time now. Usually in the context of a horror discussion it makes more sense.

• Locked thread