Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Rutibex posted:

:ssh:
the happiest part was the fact that you could copy Dreamcast games with a normal CD burner

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

:ssh:
the happiest part was the fact that you could copy Dreamcast games with a normal CD burner

are you admitting to having done this?

*hovers over report button, sweating*

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

Why would you play fighting games (plural) and not buy a proper fight stick?
I don't have an answer for this.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...n--1201195.html

Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect.

fuckin lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect.

fuckin lol

that's only in the uk, brexit

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

fuckin lol

i get that it shouldn't happen, but if it does, does it honestly ruin something for you?

i'm not sure how many dead pixels it would take for me to seek an exchange, but it'd have to be a lot

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

i'm expecting a passionate response

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mandator posted:

i get that it shouldn't happen, but if it does, does it honestly ruin something for you?

i'm not sure how many dead pixels it would take for me to seek an exchange, but it'd have to be a lot

Well, I guess if being a sucker works for you...

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Well, I guess if being a sucker works for you...

what i'm saying is don't swear the small stuff and dead pixels on a video game console is about the smallest problem i can imagine

maybe i can buy some nerdburgers console on ebay on the cheap because it has a defect i'll never notice?

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

i bet there's a huge overlap in people who send back lcd screens for dead pixels and people who reguarly send food back at a restaurant

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mandator posted:

i bet there's a huge overlap in people who send back lcd screens for dead pixels and people who reguarly send food back at a restaurant

And own xbox ones.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A bad meal is going to bother me for a couple minutes. A dead pixel is going to be in my face for years. My last laptop had a bunch of dead pixels for a long time before I threw it out, my current phone also has a defective cluster, and while I tolerate it, it is super annoying. Getting dead pixels on a brand new device would be a good reason for me to return it, though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
OTOH the Switch may be a special case, seeing as nobody is going to touch it a week after purchase.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If the stuck pixel is black it's not a huge deal but if it is white or bright green it's a real problem.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mandator posted:

what i'm saying is don't swear the small stuff and dead pixels on a video game console is about the smallest problem i can imagine

maybe i can buy some nerdburgers console on ebay on the cheap because it has a defect i'll never notice?

If I am spending $300 for something, I don't want it to be defective, even if the problem is minor. That's just me though.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

A bad meal is going to bother me for a couple minutes. A dead pixel is going to be in my face for years. My last laptop had a bunch of dead pixels for a long time before I threw it out, my current phone also has a defective cluster, and while I tolerate it, it is super annoying. Getting dead pixels on a brand new device would be a good reason for me to return it, though.

maybe skip nintendo consoles for now until you understand the japanese philosophy of kintsugi

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
These defects in your consumer electronics are actually very artisanal.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
in traditional chinese LCD weaving you are always supposed leave a single dead pixel, because only Mao can create perfection

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mandator posted:

maybe skip nintendo consoles for now until you understand the japanese philosophy of kintsugi

I think you're actually thinking of wabi-sabi.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

These defects in your consumer electronics are actually very artisanal.

yeah because every time i see the dead pixel i think of the realities of lcd manufacturing, worker conditions, and how impressive it is that it i have so few dead pixels. the dead pixels invoke an emotional response and reflection. is that not art?

and further more, *farrrrrt*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i watched a stream of zelda for an hour and it looked p cool

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think you're actually thinking of wabi-sabi.

no, actually that stuff's just green horseradish

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
you know what, a few dead pixels are fine, I actually prefer it that way; my left joycon barely works but you know what, that's not a big deal; sure my game has nasty stuttering every now and then but that just adds to the experience, you guys are loving nerds if you pay attention to that poo poo lol.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
quit getting mad at video games

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
nintendo! grrr!

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

you know what, a few dead pixels are fine, I actually prefer it that way; my left joycon barely works but you know what, that's not a big deal; sure my game has nasty stuttering every now and then but that just adds to the experience, you guys are loving nerds if you pay attention to that poo poo lol.

this guy gets it

edit:

wait a minute. no he doesn't!

you see, i believe that comparing a few dead pixels on a screen is not the same thing as a faulty "joycon" or a bad gpu/cpu

when your joycon stops working you don't have 921,599 extra joycons to pick up the slack

Mandator fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 5, 2017

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
No but seriously the Nintendo Switch is going to bankrupt Nintendo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They'll fix the joycon and dead pixel thing (guess what every console has issues on launch lol) and it'll be fine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Next they will fix the part where the console can't play games more advanced than 2005 Newgrounds stuff without melting?

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

See if they tried that with the original Xbox the car would end up broken.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Pretty sure my original Game Boy would have survived that, nice console Nintendailures.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kainser posted:

Pretty sure my original Game Boy would have survived that, nice console Nintendailures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBeTXPaewMo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kainser posted:

The OG Gameboy would probably have damaged the car.

Also the games thread is trying to defend not being able to charge the switch while having the kickstand open at the same time.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

thisthread.jpg

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Applewhite posted:

No but seriously the Nintendo Switch is going to bankrupt Nintendo.

maybe disney will buy their ips

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

StabMasterArson posted:

fuckin lol

that's what you get when you deal with the last bargain-basement chinese lcd manufacturer who still makes 720p screens in 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Moridin920 posted:

i watched a stream of zelda for an hour and it looked p cool

I actually went into a physical game store for the first time in prolly a decade and bought it for the Wii u (which has been collecting dust since splatoon).

it's really pretty good so far. though I keep struggling with the controls changing weapons and poo poo but i'll get used it to, probably just rusty.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
unfortunately i'm adult now and busy logging rock core and soil borings all this week from 5am till 7pm a which sucks, so i can't stay up till 4am playing video games like I could as a kid :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The_Franz posted:

that's what you get when you deal with the last bargain-basement chinese lcd manufacturer who still makes 720p screens in 2017

The screen is gorgeous. Very bright and sharp with a pleasing color profile.

• Locked thread